365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Fall Marathons still in Play for Boston with new Standards?

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Fall Marathons still in Play for Boston with new Standards?

Post  Chris M on Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:59 pm

@Alex Kubacki wrote:
@Chris M wrote:I think it will be REALLY REALLY close. I kid you not, I would register within seconds of finishing. Get your smart phone out of your bag and send it in if you get the BQ.

Going for you is that Philly and NYC won't have happened yet. Going against you is that Chicago, Steamtown and Marine Corps will definitely produce a lot more BQ eligible people so those spots will start to go.....but 2,500 of them? Hmmm.

You have reason to be very hopeful that come the morning of November 4, there are spots still open.

I don't know. With the warm spring we had I'm thinking with all the marathons that Chicago weekend that could finish the registration off. 2,500 is really not that much with the amount of people going for it. I hope I'm wrong.



Think about it, though. How many people are running Chicago that (1) don't have a BQ already; (2) have trained up to be going for it in that race? I think it is a very small number. Based on the past couple of years, nobody would sign up for and train for Chicago 2012 and assume they could get a BQ for Boston 2013. Boston has been filled by Chicago time in recent years. So how many runners really targetted that race or one that weekend for a 2013 BQ?

I'm pulling for Nick and so my vote has bias but I'm now guessing it WON'T be filled come November 4.

Now is a good time for me to repeat what I've said before and I'm telling my buddy Scott and others who don't have 2013 BQs but might get them before the race. Sign up as a charity entry! If you have a BQ - say, from a December 2012 race when Boston 2013 is already filled - and still want to run Boston 2013, sign up via a charity. Based on your time, you'll still get to run in your correct Boston 2013 corral. Downside is that it will be expensive but you'll be raising money for a good cause and rightfully taking your place in Boston among the runners with a BQ time.
avatar
Chris M
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 1061
Points : 3720
Join date : 2011-06-14
Age : 49
Location : Washington, DC

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Fall Marathons still in Play for Boston with new Standards?

Post  Nick Morris on Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:53 pm

@Chris M wrote:
@Alex Kubacki wrote:
@Chris M wrote:I think it will be REALLY REALLY close. I kid you not, I would register within seconds of finishing. Get your smart phone out of your bag and send it in if you get the BQ.

Going for you is that Philly and NYC won't have happened yet. Going against you is that Chicago, Steamtown and Marine Corps will definitely produce a lot more BQ eligible people so those spots will start to go.....but 2,500 of them? Hmmm.

You have reason to be very hopeful that come the morning of November 4, there are spots still open.

I don't know. With the warm spring we had I'm thinking with all the marathons that Chicago weekend that could finish the registration off. 2,500 is really not that much with the amount of people going for it. I hope I'm wrong.



Think about it, though. How many people are running Chicago that (1) don't have a BQ already; (2) have trained up to be going for it in that race? I think it is a very small number. Based on the past couple of years, nobody would sign up for and train for Chicago 2012 and assume they could get a BQ for Boston 2013. Boston has been filled by Chicago time in recent years. So how many runners really targetted that race or one that weekend for a 2013 BQ?

I'm pulling for Nick and so my vote has bias but I'm now guessing it WON'T be filled come November 4.

Now is a good time for me to repeat what I've said before and I'm telling my buddy Scott and others who don't have 2013 BQs but might get them before the race. Sign up as a charity entry! If you have a BQ - say, from a December 2012 race when Boston 2013 is already filled - and still want to run Boston 2013, sign up via a charity. Based on your time, you'll still get to run in your correct Boston 2013 corral. Downside is that it will be expensive but you'll be raising money for a good cause and rightfully taking your place in Boston among the runners with a BQ time.

Thanks Chris...It's not the end of the world if I have to wait until 2014. In fact, I would love to have the problem, because that would mean that I did BQ Smile I'll keep my fingers crossed for for an opening...
avatar
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Posts : 5109
Points : 11928
Join date : 2011-06-16
Age : 37
Location : Madison, WI

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Fall Marathons still in Play for Boston with new Standards?

Post  Michele "1L" Keane on Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:07 am

Nick - I hope it works out for this year as I'd love to meet you, but I hope to be there in 2014 myself, so maybe it will wait until then. I like Chris's idea of a charity runner though. I've never done it because in the past I was always campaigning for some school event or another to raise money, but now without that, i might think about the charity thing for next year (2014) especially if I do not qualify again (in Tucson, hopefully).
avatar
Michele "1L" Keane
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 4748
Points : 11115
Join date : 2011-06-15
Age : 55
Location : Cleveland (Bay Village), OH/Atlanta, GA

View user profile http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Fall Marathons still in Play for Boston with new Standards?

Post  kath on Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:50 am

Boston Globe article with statistics

I guess I belong to a rather exclusive club, "Runners Who Qualified For The Boston Marathon But Didn't Get To Enter." Though it turned out that not getting in for 2012 was a blessing in disguise, as instead of suffering in the heat, I took advantage of much more seasonable temperatures in Providence three weeks later and made the BQ for 2013.

kath
Newbie
Newbie

Posts : 21
Points : 2273
Join date : 2011-09-22
Location : About 26.2 miles from Fenway Park

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Fall Marathons still in Play for Boston with new Standards?

Post  Chris M on Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:15 am

@kath wrote:Boston Globe article with statistics

I guess I belong to a rather exclusive club, "Runners Who Qualified For The Boston Marathon But Didn't Get To Enter." Though it turned out that not getting in for 2012 was a blessing in disguise, as instead of suffering in the heat, I took advantage of much more seasonable temperatures in Providence three weeks later and made the BQ for 2013.



Here's the Boston Globe article Kath linked to. I thought the most interesting stat was that only 11% of Boston 2012 finishers qualified for Boston 2013 with their time.



Spots remain for 2013 Boston Marathon






By Shira Springer

| Globe Staff
September 28, 2012


Registration for the 2013 Boston Marathon remains open for qualified runners, slowing to a more comfortable pace two years after the race reached its limit for qualifiers in record time, and one year after organizers instituted a new entry process.

Boston Athletic Association executive director Thomas Grilk said the registration process “has created a feeling of more opportunity.” Race director Dave McGillivray called it a “win, win, win,” with runners, race managers, and the BAA benefiting.

With qualification standards lowered this year and slower finish times at the 2012 Marathon because of the heat, the BAA and organizers are not surprised registration has stretched into a third week. Out of roughly 21,500 places for qualified runners, approximately 2,000 remain. It’s likely the remaining spaces will be claimed as the fall marathon schedule starts. The BAA is accepting runners as they enter and get times verified. Unlike earlier in the registration process, there is no longer any preference given to faster runners.

“We didn’t know exactly how it would play out, but we knew we wanted it to be fair,” said Grilk. “That has been the touchstone of this whole [new registration process]. It was a two-year process where we confronted what happened when it all sold out in eight hours. How do we make it fair? And how do we do it in a way that gives people plenty of notice of how it’s going to work?”

These were the questions the BAA asked when the 2011 Marathon reached capacity for qualified entrants in 8 hours 3 minutes, smashing the previous record. The answers necessitated a new process and faster qualifying standards implemented over two years.

Last year, the BAA instituted rolling admission for qualifiers, with faster runners allowed to enter first. The same procedure remained in place when registration for the 2013 Marathon opened Sept. 10. Additionally, qualifying times were lowered this year by five minutes. After the 2013 race fills, Grilk said the BAA and race organizers will analyze the entry data.

As of yesterday, 18,300 qualified entries for the 2013 Marathon had been verified, including 16,600 who have entered during the registration period. With the process ongoing, there are hundreds of entries yet to be approved. Another 1,700 secured spots based on deferments issued at the 2012 race or on a high number of consecutive Boston Marathons run. Currently, 10,445 men and 7,855 women are entered.

Almost half (8,972) of the qualified entrants will be running Boston for the first time. Part of that may be due to how difficult it was to re-qualify at Boston this year. While 44 percent of finishers (10,433) re-qualified at the 2011 Marathon, 11 percent of finishers (2,387) re-qualified at the 2012 Marathon. Still, the 2013 field has fast credentials, with 53 percent of registrants besting their qualifying times by five minutes or more at various races, including 2,998 who ran 20 minutes or faster than their age and gender standard. Runners between the ages of 35 and 51 registered in the largest numbers.

“It couldn’t have played out any better,” said McGillivray. “Everyone who qualified and wanted to enter, got in. And we still remain open. That’s a good thing, too. We wanted to have this system in place for two years. We’ll be able to . . . determine going forward if the way we set it up is the perfect system now or do we tweak it.”
Shira Springer can be reached at springer@globe.com.
avatar
Chris M
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 1061
Points : 3720
Join date : 2011-06-14
Age : 49
Location : Washington, DC

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Fall Marathons still in Play for Boston with new Standards?

Post  ounce on Sat Sep 29, 2012 1:07 pm

@Michele "1L" Keane wrote:Nick - I hope it works out for this year as I'd love to meet you, but I hope to be there in 2014 myself, so maybe it will wait until then. I like Chris's idea of a charity runner though. I've never done it because in the past I was always campaigning for some school event or another to raise money, but now without that, i might think about the charity thing for next year (2014) especially if I do not qualify again (in Tucson, hopefully).

Not quite sure if I'd wait for 2014. The weather is supposed to be in the low 80's. Shocked Shocked Shocked
avatar
ounce
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 4750
Points : 13083
Join date : 2011-06-26
Age : 60
Location : houston

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Fall Marathons still in Play for Boston with new Standards?

Post  Alex Kubacki on Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:27 am

With Chicago complete and the others from the weekend, hopefully it won't be long before we find out if it closed up or how many are left.
avatar
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 1252
Points : 3964
Join date : 2011-06-23

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Fall Marathons still in Play for Boston with new Standards?

Post  Jerry on Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:23 am

Seriously, I can still register Boston? lol!
avatar
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 2708
Points : 1004185
Join date : 2011-06-15
Location : Where I'm Loved

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Fall Marathons still in Play for Boston with new Standards?

Post  Bob on Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:32 am

Full.
According to Runners World.
avatar
Bob
Lord Bobby
Lord Bobby

Posts : 342
Points : 11662
Join date : 2011-06-15
Location : Illinois

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Fall Marathons still in Play for Boston with new Standards?

Post  Schuey on Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:39 am

Well goes to show what happens when you have good weather.
avatar
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 2160
Points : 5429
Join date : 2011-06-15
Age : 46
Location : So Many Roads To Ease My Soul

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Fall Marathons still in Play for Boston with new Standards?

Post  Bob on Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:39 pm

@Bob wrote:Full.
According to Runners World.

And Now a retraction from the BAA and runners world. It is still open.
avatar
Bob
Lord Bobby
Lord Bobby

Posts : 342
Points : 11662
Join date : 2011-06-15
Location : Illinois

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Fall Marathons still in Play for Boston with new Standards?

Post  Michele "1L" Keane on Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:41 pm

I just saw that as well. Marathon guide says it is open as well. Despite the perfect weather for all the races yesterdsy, I have several running friends who missed their goals - maybe went out too fast in the conditions?? I do have several that made theirs as well.
avatar
Michele "1L" Keane
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 4748
Points : 11115
Join date : 2011-06-15
Age : 55
Location : Cleveland (Bay Village), OH/Atlanta, GA

View user profile http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Fall Marathons still in Play for Boston with new Standards?

Post  Alex Kubacki on Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:59 am

Here's the latest from the BAA:

The 2013 Boston Marathon is approaching its maximum field size and soon will be unable to accept additional, qualified entrants. If you have met the qualifying standard for your age group and gender, the B.A.A. now encourages you to submit your application for entry if you wish to run in the 2013 race.

While we would like to accept everyone who has qualified and would like to run, field size limits are in effect to ensure the best possible event experience for all.

With many runners having recently achieved their qualifying marks in Fall marathons, the B.A.A. anticipates registration for the 2013 Boston Marathon will close soon. It is very unlikely that registration will remain open through the end of this week.

If you are planning to post a qualifying performance at a forthcoming marathon, then your qualifying time may be used to submit your application for entry in the 118th Boston Marathon, which will be held on Monday, April 21, 2014.
avatar
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 1252
Points : 3964
Join date : 2011-06-23

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Fall Marathons still in Play for Boston with new Standards?

Post  Nick Morris on Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:03 am

Thanks for the update Smile
avatar
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Posts : 5109
Points : 11928
Join date : 2011-06-16
Age : 37
Location : Madison, WI

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Fall Marathons still in Play for Boston with new Standards?

Post  Alex Kubacki on Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:40 am

Closed. From the BAA:

Registration for the 2013 Boston Marathon is now closed. The maximum number of athletes who ran a qualifying performance and submitted their application for entry has now been reached.
avatar
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 1252
Points : 3964
Join date : 2011-06-23

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Fall Marathons still in Play for Boston with new Standards?

Post  JohnP on Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:45 am

Nick, this will let you get a BQ-5 time before registration for 2014.
avatar
JohnP
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 1225
Points : 4229
Join date : 2011-06-15

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Fall Marathons still in Play for Boston with new Standards?

Post  Nick Morris on Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:22 pm

Yep... I wasn't too convinced that there would be openings by my race anyways....
avatar
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Posts : 5109
Points : 11928
Join date : 2011-06-16
Age : 37
Location : Madison, WI

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Fall Marathons still in Play for Boston with new Standards?

Post  Chris M on Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:00 pm

@Nick Morris wrote:Yep... I wasn't too convinced that there would be openings by my race anyways....



Earlier than I had predicted. Sorry, Nick. Go get that 2014 BQ!
avatar
Chris M
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 1061
Points : 3720
Join date : 2011-06-14
Age : 49
Location : Washington, DC

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Fall Marathons still in Play for Boston with new Standards?

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum