365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

ITBS - your experiences please

5 posters

Go down

ITBS - your experiences please Empty ITBS - your experiences please

Post  Stephanie Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:45 pm

I know this has been talked about before and is such a common issue for runners but I am hoping some of you will entertain me and beat this dead horse to death a bit further with me. Razz I have read the couple posts on this forum about ITBS and have read what helped Carleen, Schuey, Randy and a few others. I have also spent numerous hours Googling but if anyone has anything more to add please do. Here’s the history and details…

I ran a half back in early May and it was AWESOME! I totally blew my first half’s time out of the water and I was on cloud 9 for a long time!! I think this ego boost lead me to run too many of my runs at too fast of a past, but I couldn’t help myself… I felt fast after the results from my 2nd half. Hahaha. I also added some cushioned shoes into the mix when I used to only run in Kinvaras and the odd time in Brooks PureConnects. I then ran a half marathon a week ago and my ITB grabbed at mile 9 and I had to pull back the pace significantly. The week following the race has left me with one angry ITB. Prior to the race it was plaguing me (probably pace and new shoe induced) but since work paid for my entrance fee to our city’s local marathon event I felt pressure to run even though I know I should have skipped the race. I have not run for a week now.

Things have improved but I still feel the discomfort after sitting at work. I have also seen my physiotherapist twice. He has prescribed a lot of foam rolling (doesn’t do much so I’ve moved up to tennis and golf balls to get into that area right under my side hip bone where the ITB starts and I also get in at my TFL). I have also been given some stretches and exercises for my glute medius muscles. During our sessions he has spent a lot of attention on my hips and pelvic alignment and he says things are very tight.

I feel confident that I am on the right track but I would love to hear about your experiences with ITBS, what worked, and what didn’t. Did you run through ITB pain? Did you scale back the miles while doing your PT exercises? Did you take a break from running altogether? Did you not take a break and did you pay the price?

Thanks everyone!
Stephanie
Stephanie
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

ITBS - your experiences please Empty Re: ITBS - your experiences please

Post  Mike MacLellan Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:09 pm

I did exactly what you're doing. Stretch, strengthen surrounding muscles (some quad-building might help, too), stay of cambered roads, and limit hills. I did not cut back miles.

I find that cycling as cross-training usually takes care of any muscular imbalance/niggle I'm experiencing. Once you've got the discomfort managed and feel better, a weekly trail run on a semi-technical trail will help to build up all those stabilizing muscles, too.
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

https://www.facebook.com/mike.a.maclellan

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:29 pm

Ditto for me too with regards to what you are doing. I use a foam roller everyday (2x) on my ITB, Quads, lower back and hamstrings.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Stephanie Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:35 pm

Mike MacLellan wrote:I did exactly what you're doing. Stretch, strengthen surrounding muscles (some quad-building might help, too), stay of cambered roads, and limit hills. I did not cut back miles.

I find that cycling as cross-training usually takes care of any muscular imbalance/niggle I'm experiencing. Once you've got the discomfort managed and feel better, a weekly trail run on a semi-technical trail will help to build up all those stabilizing muscles, too.

Thanks Mike! That's interesting that you also mention cycling. My PT was at a triathlon event this weekend and told me he thought I would be a good cyclist. I then admitted I have a tri bike from my old tri days. It's a 14 yr old bike and is in excellent condition. Aside from it being a bit retro, it would be just fine - I should give some thought to getting back out on it. As much as my brain likes only running, I think my body preferred triathlon.

Mike since you didn't cut back on mileage was running pretty painful? One day did the pain just go away because of the strengthening you did?
Stephanie
Stephanie
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:39 pm

My ITB wasn't a constant thing - it only popped up on cambered roads, hills, or if I was pushing the pace too much. So I just eased off those things and it would be under control.
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

https://www.facebook.com/mike.a.maclellan

Back to top Go down

Post  Stephanie Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:40 pm

Michele "1L" Keane wrote:Ditto for me too with regards to what you are doing. I use a foam roller everyday (2x) on my ITB, Quads, lower back and hamstrings.
You roll 2 times a day!?! Hmmm I better increase that too. Today I also bought a new foam roller - The Grid - and wow does it ever get in there at all the sore spots!! They come in black and orange and I opted for the black one - it'll go better with our living room decor. Razz

Mike MacLellan wrote:My ITB wasn't a constant thing - it only popped up on cambered roads, hills, or if I was pushing the pace too much. So I just eased off those things and it would be under control.
Oh that's good! Aside from this current flare up and prior to my recent half marathon, my itbs only flared up towards the end of long runs. Unfortunately it's hung on this time.

Last edited by Stephanie on Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Stephanie
Stephanie
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Kubacki Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:40 pm

Michele "1L" Keane wrote:Ditto for me too with regards to what you are doing. I use a foam roller everyday (2x) on my ITB, Quads, lower back and hamstrings.

This is what I have to do. Twice a day year round.
Alex Kubacki
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Stephanie Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:36 pm

Alex Kubacki wrote:

Good to know! I'm on it!! Smile
Stephanie
Stephanie
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Tue Jun 26, 2012 4:43 pm

Stephanie wrote:
Alex Kubacki wrote:

Good to know! I'm on it!! Smile

I do have a few years on you, Stephanie, but it couldn't hurt. I bought a small roller that I use while sitting on the floor watching TV.
I use the big one in the morning.

I also find that I can run through flare ups and more mileage (and even hills) in training seems to keep mine at bay.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright Tue Jun 26, 2012 4:59 pm

[/quote]

I do have a few years on you, Stephanie, but it couldn't hurt. I bought a small roller that I use while sitting on the floor watching TV.
I use the big one in the morning.
[/quote]

Oh, I'm pretty sure it could in fact hurt! I was on the foam roller Sunday for my ITBS (should have done it yesterday, too!), and, it hurt! But it also seems to help...

Very Happy
Michael Enright
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down