365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

ITBS & new shoes & Kinvara alternate?

4 posters

Go down

ITBS & new shoes & Kinvara alternate? Empty ITBS & new shoes & Kinvara alternate?

Post  Stephanie Sun Jun 03, 2012 5:59 pm

About a month ago I started running in Brooks Ravennas, a shoe that supposedly bridges the gap between neutral and stability shoes, in hopes that the extra cushioing would help my body adjust to increasing my miles after I had been feeling beat up by my Kinvaras. Initially I had been loving these new cushioned shoes and felt fantastic running in them. My shins and calves are loving the fact that I have returned to the traditional heel-toe drop. But during the last couple of weeks my ITBs have flared up a little, nothing major (yet), but there is some cause for concern. Nothing has changed in my training other than the shoes. My mileage is the same. I am a neutral runner and am wondering if the stability nature of these new shoes could be what's behind my ITB discomfort.

Also, does anyone know of a shoe that would be neutral like the Kinvaras but slightly more cushioned with a higher heel-to-toe drop?

P.S. I wasn't sure if I should post in the body shop or running gear forum so please humor me.

Stephanie
Stephanie
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

ITBS & new shoes & Kinvara alternate? Empty Re: ITBS & new shoes & Kinvara alternate?

Post  carleenp Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:24 am

Maybe try the Brooks Ghost instead? It is a well liked shoe that is pretty similar but is neutral instead instead of stability.
carleenp
carleenp
Regular
Regular

http://beautyandfashiontech.com

Back to top Go down

ITBS & new shoes & Kinvara alternate? Empty Re: ITBS & new shoes & Kinvara alternate?

Post  fostever Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:30 am

I remember your earlier thread and just assumed you pronate when you run due to your choice of support shoe. Yeah, it can't be too good running in a shoe to correct pronation if you don't pronate. Any type of traditional neutral shoe should work. I like the Brooks Launch or like Michelle suggested Ghost in that line of shoes. You should also alternate 2 pairs of shoes so you aren't running in the same pair day after day. Maybe you could still use the Kinvara's for your shorter or tempo runs to help strengthen the foot, achilles and calves. Hope you feel better soon.
fostever
fostever
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Stephanie Mon Jun 04, 2012 1:37 pm

I will take a look at the Ghost although I seem to remember preferring the feel of these Ravennas.

I went for a short run in my Kinvaras today to see if the ITBs were any better in my usual shoe. The right one grabbed 2 miles in on a short 4 miler so maybe the shoes aren't the culprit. Sad Less than two weeks til my next half. Crappy timing for this. The only other factors I can come up with are my pace has been a bit faster lately (could a slight increase trigger ITBS?) and I had started adding some strength training into the mix but I've only done 3 or 4 sessions so I doubt that triggered anything. I'm just pulling at straws here.
Stephanie
Stephanie
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:21 pm

Yes, most definitely. Again, I think both the Launch and the Ghost would be good suggestions.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down