365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Friday Thread - June 29, 2012 - 4th of July Edition

+4
Julie
Michael Enright
Jerry
Mike MacLellan
8 posters

Go down

Friday Thread - June 29, 2012 - 4th of July Edition Empty Friday Thread - June 29, 2012 - 4th of July Edition

Post  Mike MacLellan Fri Jun 29, 2012 1:12 pm

My apologies to the international members of the board; just substitute the date of your country's independence day and answer accordingly What a Face

1. Let's start with running: do you typically run on the 4th?
2. How about race? Have you ever? Do you annually?
3. What time would you have to get up in order to "beat the heat" this 4th?

4. Onto food and drink: food traditions for the 4th?
5. How about drinks? If you're a beer drinker, what's the best BBQ beer around? If not, what's the best beverage when it's hot out?
6. Hamburger or hotdog?
7. Beef or buffalo? Or turkey? Or Mahi Mahi? For the burgers, of course.
8. Toppings?

9. And now bringing it all together: going to take the day off for all this fun?
10. How about Thurs/Fri?
11. If not, it kind of sucks that the 4th is on Wednesday, right?
12. Do you do anything for the 4th that's actually related to the holiday? Fly the flag? Mock English people?

13. Tell the person above you something nice.

Enjoy the weekend and holiday, everyone!
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

https://www.facebook.com/mike.a.maclellan

Back to top Go down

Friday Thread - June 29, 2012 - 4th of July Edition Empty Re: Friday Thread - June 29, 2012 - 4th of July Edition

Post  Jerry Fri Jun 29, 2012 1:50 pm

Yes, cause it is day off, but never did a race.

No.

5:00am, but sleep is more important and I always suck it up on the heat.

No. If I have to choose, always burger and fry, which I think are American signature, of cause with Diet Coke.

How about drinks? If you're a beer drinker, what's the best BBQ beer
around? If not, what's the best beverage when it's hot out?

Don't eat BBQ often.

6. Hamburger or hotdog?

Hamburger.

Beef.

8. Toppings?

All the way.

9. And now bringing it all together: going to take the day off for all this fun?

Of cause, or I will be deported as I heard.

10. How about Thurs/Fri?

On the market for a house, so have to work.

I am ok. Kind of first time to me on a non-weekend?

12. Do you do anything for the 4th that's actually related to the holiday? Fly the flag? Mock English people?

We take Lucy to 4th of July parade to remind others that she is actually an American. lol!

No mention of Euro 2012. Jerry dislike Mike. Friday Thread - June 29, 2012 - 4th of July Edition 424776184
Jerry
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Friday Thread - June 29, 2012 - 4th of July Edition Empty Re: Friday Thread - June 29, 2012 - 4th of July Edition

Post  Michael Enright Fri Jun 29, 2012 2:16 pm

I haven’t raced on the 4th, but I have run 3 out of the 5 prior Independence Days (longest was 14 miles – must have been a nice day!). I might run a race in Chester, CT (4 on the 4th) if weather is nice and I feel like it.

Oops, I jumped the gun on the race question (appropriate idiom, no?). Not previously on the 4th, but might this year.

I think it is supposed to be a nice day. On a day like today (mid-90s here), I get up at 5:30 to get out the door by no later than 6:00, so I can run in day light, but avoid the heat of the day, and still get to work on time.

Nothing special. Tends to be basic and simple cookout food.

5. How about drinks? If you're a beer drinker, what's the best BBQ beer around? If not, what's the best beverage when it's hot out?

I don’t drink. Ice cold diet coke is about as crazy as I get.

6. Hamburger or hotdog?

I do not understand why this is an “or” question. Honestly, for dinner the other night, when my wife and son were cooking out on the grill, I had a hamburger, a hot dog and a brat! If I had to choose between hamburger and hotdog, it would depend on the hotdogs. I can’t get Vienna out here, but there are some decent brands, and a lot of really bad ones!

Beef. Or turkey. Either is fine. I would probably take the beef.

8. Toppings?

Simple. Mustard, ketchup, dill chips, maybe tomato if its nice and fresh or a little lettuce. Cheese is always good. I’ll throw jalapenos on there if they are sitting around. But for a hotdog, no ketchup, for sure!!!

Yes, though I will probably spend a lot of it doing yard work!

10. How about Thurs/Fri?

I expect to be in the office, but may take it pretty easy. Also, my 85 year old father was talking about coming out for a visit, but haven’t heard back on that. If he did that, I’d take some more time off.

I kind of like it being a Wednesday – screws up the entire week! J

I usually put the flag out. Will probably wear a t-shirt that has some patriotic theme. That’s about it. I regularly mock English people, so that wouldn’t be specific to the celebration.

Everyone loves Jerry! We just have odd ways of showing it...
Michael Enright
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Fri Jun 29, 2012 2:23 pm

yes

I ran a 10K in 2006

It would be impossible to beat it but I'll get up at 445

Hamburgers, watermelon, potato salad kind of stuff.

How about drinks? If you're a beer drinker, what's the best BBQ beer
around? If not, what's the best beverage when it's hot out?

ice water

6. Hamburger or hotdog?

hamburger

beef, we have a free lb of organic grassfed beef we're using this yr.

8. Toppings?

ketchup, mustard

Sure, my husband and I are both off.

10. How about Thurs/Fri?

I typically am off Thurs/Fri, I will work that Saturday

I'm not complaining.

Other than thinking about all the sacrifices people have made and are continuing to make for our freedom, nothing too formal. Well, we're going to fireworks the night before, if that counts.

Happy Independence Day, Michael, and happy weekend.
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Sat Jun 30, 2012 12:03 am

1. Let's start with running: do you typically run on the 4th? Depends if a run is planned.
2. How about race? Have you ever? Do you annually? When I lived in Eugene, I used to run the Butte to Butte 10K, with an elevation profile that is perfect for a huge negative split, if you don't die in the first mile.
Friday Thread - June 29, 2012 - 4th of July Edition Buttet10

3. What time would you have to get up in order to "beat the heat" this 4th? Around here? Laughing
4. Onto food and drink: food traditions for the 4th? Barbecue. Usually end up more stuffed than on Thanksgiving.
5. How about drinks? If you're a beer drinker, what's the best BBQ beer around? If not, what's the best beverage when it's hot out? Too many choices! I can't pick.
6. Hamburger or hotdog? Hamburger
7. Beef or buffalo? Or turkey? Or Mahi Mahi? For the burgers, of course. Beef
8. Toppings? Tomato, lettuce, onions, maybe pickles, cheese, ketchup.
9. And now bringing it all together: going to take the day off for all this fun? I'll be on vacation in Colorado, so I don't know if I'll be able to get in a run or not. It'll depend on whatever else might be going on.
10. How about Thurs/Fri? See No. 9
11. If not, it kind of sucks that the 4th is on Wednesday, right? On vacation, so it's A-OK!
12. Do you do anything for the 4th that's actually related to the holiday? Fly the flag? Mock English people? Sometimes.
13. Tell the person above you something nice. Hope you have a great Fourth, Julie!
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  EugeneGreenie Sat Jun 30, 2012 2:20 am

1. Let's start with running: do you typically run on the 4th? yes, I get a run in, either racing or just running.

2. How about race? Have you ever? Do you annually? Like Mark, I also used to race B2B, since I live here, but now I volunteer...partly so I can watch my son finish. He is very fast...very fast.

3. What time would you have to get up in order to "beat the heat" this 4th? Heat! Hahahahaha...perhaps you haven't heard, but Eugene has decided to skip summer this year.

4. Onto food and drink: food traditions for the 4th? Watermelon.

5. How about drinks? If you're a beer drinker, what's the best BBQ beer around? If not, what's the best beverage when it's hot out? Beer: Ninkasi on tap. Non beer: Trader Joe's Pomegranate Limeade with or without vodka and muddled limes.

6. Hamburger or hotdog? hotdog

7. Beef or buffalo? Or turkey? Or Mahi Mahi? For the burgers, of course. Ooh, a tuna burger does sound good.

8. Toppings? On hot dogs, mustard and relish. On tuna burgers, pineapple salsa.

9. And now bringing it all together: going to take the day off for all this fun? Of course.

10. How about Thurs/Fri? Nope.

11. If not, it kind of sucks that the 4th is on Wednesday, right? Well, I get Monday and Tuesday as furlough. That means forced leave without pay. But it is still time off, so I will take it gladly.

12. Do you do anything for the 4th that's actually related to the holiday? Fly the flag? Mock English people? You mean there is an historical reason why we get the day off?

13. Tell the person above you something nice. You're looking quite svelte Mark, and I dig your sandals!

EugeneGreenie
EugeneGreenie
Poster
Poster

http://traniningup.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Sat Jun 30, 2012 6:33 am

1. Let's start with running: do you typically run on the 4th? If it is on the schedule, then yes.
2. How about race? Have you ever? Do you annually? no
3. What time would you have to get up in order to "beat the heat" this 4th? 4:30

4. Onto food and drink: food traditions for the 4th? No traditions, but normally cookout
5. How about drinks? If you're a beer drinker, what's the best BBQ beer around? If not, what's the best beverage when it's hot out? Lemonade
6. Hamburger or hotdog? Brat
7. Beef or buffalo? Or turkey? Or Mahi Mahi? For the burgers, of course. Pork, Turkey, or Chicken (brat, of course)
8. Toppings? Mustard, ketchup, relish, onions

9. And now bringing it all together: going to take the day off for all this fun? I have wednesday off.
10. How about Thurs/Fri? No
11. If not, it kind of sucks that the 4th is on Wednesday, right? true, but it does split the week up
12. Do you do anything for the 4th that's actually related to the holiday? Fly the flag? Mock English people? No

13. Tell the person above you something nice. Have a great 4th, Jerry!!

Enjoy the weekend and holiday, everyone! You too Mike!!
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Sat Jun 30, 2012 9:08 pm

My apologies to the international members of the board; just substitute the date of your country's independence day and answer accordingly

1. Let's start with running: do you typically run on the 4th? Yes.
2. How about race? Have you ever? Do you annually? Yes, when in Atlanta, it was always Peachtree, but for the last few years it has been a small 10K here in western NY. Not sure about this year though since the race does not start until 9 am!!!!
3. What time would you have to get up in order to "beat the heat" this 4th? 6 am, but the race isn't until 9

4. Onto food and drink: food traditions for the 4th? Nope, but we do usually go to a cookout with burgers and dogs.
5. How about drinks? If you're a beer drinker, what's the best BBQ beer around? If not, what's the best beverage when it's hot out? Ice tea or lemonade. No beer if it is too hot.
6. Hamburger or hotdog? I'm a cheeseburger fan.
7. Beef or buffalo? Or turkey? Or Mahi Mahi? For the burgers, of course. No, just red meat.
8. Toppings? Tomatoes, lettuce, ketchup, pickles

9. And now bringing it all together: going to take the day off for all this fun? yes
10. How about Thurs/Fri? yes.
11. If not, it kind of sucks that the 4th is on Wednesday, right? Yes
12. Do you do anything for the 4th that's actually related to the holiday? Fly the flag? Mock English people? We fly an American flag off our porch.

13. Tell the person above you something nice. Training is looking good so far, Nick.

Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down