365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

London 2012

+12
JohnP
Dave-O
ssilvert
KBFitz
Chris M
Michele "1L" Keane
Alex Kubacki
Mike MacLellan
wrichman
Joel H
Dave P
Jerry
16 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

London 2012 Empty London 2012

Post  Jerry Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:07 am

I realized only last night when I was browsing through the TV channels and seeing so many Olympic programs that it is around the corner. Heehee.

What/Who are you going to watch?
Jerry
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

London 2012 Empty Re: London 2012

Post  Dave P Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:17 am

I'm going to watch as much of everything as I can fit into my schedule. I love the Olympics!
Dave P
Dave P
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Joel H Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:21 am

I am going to watch pretty much all of it, DVR and the OLYMPICS RULE....except maybe the gymnastics, that kind of bores me!!!
Joel H
Joel H
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:26 am

I am going to watch women's table tennis, USA vs China, if it ever happens, cause all the players are Chinese. lol!

Soccer and running are my only sports hobbies. As Olympic soccer is not much to watch, I would like to watch all running events.
Jerry
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  wrichman Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:08 pm

I just gave my 2 weeks at work tonight. Really it's to study and focus on the BCBA certification exam in Sept., but secretly I need time to watch the Olympics. I live for the summer Olympics! well...and running Smile
wrichman
wrichman
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:34 pm

Men's road cycling, gymnastics, both marathons. Maybe 5k/10k too. Don't care much about the rest.
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

https://www.facebook.com/mike.a.maclellan

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Kubacki Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:04 am

I used to be a junkie but then they decided it was more important to focus on stories rather than showing actual events. Plus if you're just some Joe-Shmo olympian who didn't grow up poor or deal with some hardship then they deam you not worth following.
Alex Kubacki
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:34 am

After actually being part of the Olympics in Atlanta (as a volunteer of course), i am a complete junkie - so I will watch and DVR everything that I can. I even brought a TV from Atlanta to my summer house (we only had a small one in my daughter's room) and wall mounted it and changed the cable service to include a DVR.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris M Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:49 am

It is kind of confusing with the time zones and where exactly the NBC channels are on your system but from what I'm reading, you can DVR just about every single event live. Forget the taped "highlights" that will show during prime time and have the kind of profiles which Alex doesn't like (I kinda like them). If you really just want to see the events start to finish, there's all kinds of coverage on all the various NBC channels. It will take some research and a teenager-level-ability to work a DVR to capture what you want to see but it seems like it is ALL out there on TV this time.
Chris M
Chris M
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  KBFitz Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:54 am

Chris M wrote:... it seems like it is ALL out there on TV this time.
Unless it's not. My Olympics 'viewing' will be 'listening' to BBC online. Just hoping both 5Ks, 10Ks and marathons are broadcast online as they happen and that I'm not blacked out on radio as I am on video.
KBFitz
KBFitz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:58 am

KBFitz wrote:
Chris M wrote:... it seems like it is ALL out there on TV this time.
Unless it's not. My Olympics 'viewing' will be 'listening' to BBC online. Just hoping both 5Ks, 10Ks and marathons are broadcast online as they happen and that I'm not blacked out on radio as I am on video.

You should go to the stadium to watch or you are still in Africa, Kevin?
Jerry
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  KBFitz Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:07 am

Jerry wrote:You should go to the stadium to watch or you are still in Africa, Kevin?
My original itinerary had me returning to London on Saturday. But my stay in Rwanda has been extended through late August to undertake another assignment. That takes me off the streets of London during the women's and men's marathons. Eh. I find radio more vivid anyway. And I'll be able to enjoy the video once I get back. Okay, I'm rationalizing. But I'll be good if I'm not totally blacked out. Cheers! - k
KBFitz
KBFitz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:10 am

KBFitz wrote:
Jerry wrote:You should go to the stadium to watch or you are still in Africa, Kevin?
My original itinerary had me returning to London on Saturday. But my stay in Rwanda has been extended through late August to undertake another assignment. That takes me off the streets of London during the women's and men's marathons. Eh. I find radio more vivid anyway. And I'll be able to enjoy the video once I get back. Okay, I'm rationalizing. But I'll be good if I'm not totally blacked out. Cheers! - k

Don't feel bad. I was on a foreign assignment in last Olympic too. lol!
Jerry
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ssilvert Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:47 am

Alex Kubacki wrote:I used to be a junkie but then they decided it was more important to focus on stories rather than showing actual events. Plus if you're just some Joe-Shmo olympian who didn't grow up poor or deal with some hardship then they deam you not worth following.

I agree with you. I hate that the Olympics is no longer considered a sporting event. Sports are just the back story for the human interest fluff they use to try for more female viewers. They figure men will watch anyway so they overemphasize gymnastics and fluff to bring in women who don't normally watch sports.

Even so, I'm one of those men they are taking for granted. I love the Olympics and I'll be watching way too much of it.

Stan
ssilvert
ssilvert
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave-O Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:38 pm

ssilvert wrote:

I agree with you. I hate that the Olympics is no longer considered a sporting event. Sports are just the back story for the human interest fluff they use to try for more female viewers. They figure men will watch anyway so they overemphasize gymnastics and fluff to bring in women who don't normally watch sports.

Even so, I'm one of those men they are taking for granted. I love the Olympics and I'll be watching way too much of it.

Stan

True. I mean, how many times are we going to hear about Lolo Jones' virginity?

But, this is the case with all sports. It's the exact reason Tim Tebow and Jeremy Lin were the dominant sports stories of the last year, despite being bad and mediocre, respectively.

And I'm with you; I'll be watching as much of it as possible. Love the Olympics! Most looking forward to the 800, 5k, 10k, marathon, and men's basketball.

Dave-O
Dave-O

http://www.fleetfeetchicago.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  JohnP Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:41 pm

I love the summer Olympics and will watch or DVR most everything I can. Non-HD of course so I can fit more onthe DVR. I may even have to join some people who "work from home" those days.
JohnP
JohnP
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris M Sat Jul 21, 2012 10:47 pm

KBFitz wrote:

Saw this article and thought of you, Kevin. Not sure if YouTube/Google will be doing the same thing there but worth looking into...

YouTube, Google+ to stream Team Kenya live
Posted by BY CAPITAL REPORTER on July 20, 2012 NAIROBI, Kenya, July 20. The stage is set for the 30th Olympics in London from 27th July to 12th August where Kenyans are waiting for a rich harvest from their world beating distance running exponents.

Through Google+ and YouTube this Olympics experience will be brought into the homes, hearts and minds of Kenyans since the country is one of 54 who have the rights to live stream the Games online.

YouTube has purchased non-exclusive digital rights to stream the 2012 summer edition where viewers can choose to watch each event via a live stream.

If events are happening concurrently, viewers will be able to choose which stream they want to watch. All videos from the games will also be stored on youtube.com/Olympics making this destination the one-stop-shop for all Olympic content.

The Kenyan Olympic page on G+ is the place to find rich content pertaining to the team that won six gold, four silver and four bronze medals in Beijing.

The page is being supported by five experienced local sports journalists who will be on the ground in London with full access to the Olympic stadium and athletes.

Supporting journalists will develop unique and up-to-date content (in some cases real-time content such as live Hangouts with Olympians) and share this content on the Kenyan Olympic Team’s +page.

“The IOC’s live streaming on its YouTube channel will consist of 11 different simultaneous high-definition broadcasts, all with English language commentary.

“There will be ten live feeds from London 2012, running 9am to 11pm (London time) (on some days, these will start early or finish later based on competition schedule), plus a 24-hour broadcast of the Olympic News Channel, which includes summaries of the latest results, general reports on different events, and interviews with athletes,” Stephen Nuttal, Google, Head of Sport, Europe, the Middle East and Africa disclosed.

“The Olympics have a great unifying effect; we are excited to bring this magic even closer to Kenyans, and to ensure they follow their teams’ progress every step of the way,” he added.

While the IOC YouTube channel will allow people to stay up to date with the games, Google+ will enable actual engagement with national sports heroes and between fans.

Kenyans can now follow their team on the Kenya Olympics Google+ page which is being managed by Samsung.

Kenya House is a Brand Kenya project promoting the key opportunities or ‘pillars’ of Kenya; Trade, Export, Tourism, Investment and Sport through a physical location to be situated in London during the Olympic Games.

A series of events have been developed to promote the ‘pillars’ of Kenya to tourists visiting London for the games.

Google have collaborated on this project with the goal of extending the reach of Kenya House beyond its physical location – connecting the events and experiences in the House with an online audience both here and globally.

A series of Google Hangouts from the London-based Kenya House will be broadcast to the public, where Kenyans will see firsthand the activities from the house in Stratford being used to showcase the most iconic aspects of the country.

“One of the big bets for this country has been the Olympics; we have such great sporting talent, we have an opportunity to share this talent and Kenyan successes with the world. We have a great opportunity to celebrate our talent and demonstrate our unity,” explains Joe Mucheru, Google Kenya Country Manager.

“We have a huge opportunity to share the Kenyan message online, forging this unity digitally – we want to share these plans with you all and let you know how you can get involved by using the large amount of content being developed with the end goal of supporting Kenya and the Kenyan team.

The Google Kenya team looks forward to sharing this special experience with everyone, and is looking forward to helping Kenyans share the information they care about with the people they care about.

“We are happy to provide Kenyans with multiple ways to access and share the magic of the games,” Joe concluded.
Chris M
Chris M
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  KBFitz Sat Jul 21, 2012 11:51 pm

Thanks Chris. Many stories and web pages. Sixty-four countries in sub-Saharan Africa and Asia (where digital rights have not been snapped up) ... but no list of those 64 anywhere to be found. I can get the IOC channel on YouTube, but who knows if I'll be able to get the live feeds. Will know when the show begins. Will let you know. Thanks for putting me on to it.
KBFitz
KBFitz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:46 am

I find watching many of the events, besides motivating peaceful and to have a calming affect on me sort of like watching the gas station attendant clean my car windows with a squidgy. I just love that!
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

http://www.365Competitors.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris M Sun Jul 22, 2012 5:12 pm

Kenny B. wrote:I find watching many of the events, besides motivating peaceful and to have a calming affect on me sort of like watching the gas station attendant clean my car windows with a squidgy. I just love that!

Mentioning a "gas station attendant" marks you as being from one of two states in the US. New Jersey in your case, Kenny. NJ and only one other state still require attendants that pump gas and clean windows. No customer pumping of gas allowed. Can anyone name the other US state without looking it up?
Chris M
Chris M
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Reina Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:05 pm

I believe it is Oregon - and I didn't look it up. Which if I'm wrong you will all know!

LOL!

--Reina
Reina
Reina
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris M Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:28 pm

Reina wrote:I believe it is Oregon - and I didn't look it up. Which if I'm wrong you will all know!

LOL!

--Reina

DING DING DING! Winner! New Jersey and Oregon are the only states which have banned self-service gas stations. Drivers are not allowed to pump their own gas there. Gas attendants only.
Chris M
Chris M
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  KBFitz Tue Jul 24, 2012 3:29 am

DING DING DING! Winner! IOC YouTube channel to stream all London 2012 Olympics events LIVE to 64 countries ... including ... Rwanda.

thx
KBFitz
KBFitz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Martin VW Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:52 am

KBFitz wrote:DING DING DING! Winner! IOC YouTube channel to stream all London 2012 Olympics events LIVE to 64 countries ... including ... Rwanda.

thx

NBC says they are streaming all 302 events live. Don't know about access in Rwanda.

Live Video on NBCOlympics.com

Watch all 302 events from all 32 sports streamed LIVE on NBCOlympics.com, beginning with early-round women's soccer on July 25. From the pool to the track and every venue in between, it's full LIVE coverage of the 2012 London Games.
Martin VW
Martin VW
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Martin VW Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:55 am

Chris M wrote:
Reina wrote:I believe it is Oregon - and I didn't look it up. Which if I'm wrong you will all know!

LOL!

--Reina

DING DING DING! Winner! New Jersey and Oregon are the only states which have banned self-service gas stations. Drivers are not allowed to pump their own gas there. Gas attendants only.

As a former NJ resident, scuttlebut was that Exxon (which used to be HQ'd in NJ) got a law passed that prohibited self-service because the execs didn't want their spouses to have to pump their own gas. Don't know if it's true or not.
Martin VW
Martin VW
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next