365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Nike Flyknit Available This Friday

+7
Nick Morris
Admin
Martin VW
Dave-O
Schuey
Mark B
Ben Z
11 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Nike Flyknit Available This Friday - Page 2 Empty Re: Nike Flyknit Available This Friday

Post  Martin VW Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:29 am

Dave-O wrote:Should I be honored or embarrassed that the owner of Fleet Feet emailed me last night to confirm that an 11.5 Flyknit Racer was set aside for me?

$168 well spent! I pick them up Tuesday at the launch party. Woo-Hoo!!!!!

I hear Britt's real happy too - and is headed for Dooney and Bourke on Tuesday. Very Happy

Last edited by Martin VW on Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:02 am; edited 1 time in total
Martin VW
Martin VW
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Nike Flyknit Available This Friday - Page 2 Empty Re: Nike Flyknit Available This Friday

Post  Admin Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:44 am

Dave-O wrote:Should I be honored or embarrassed that the owner of Fleet Feet emailed me last night to confirm that an 11.5 Flyknit Racer was set aside for me?

$168 well spent! I pick them up Tuesday at the launch party. Woo-Hoo!!!!!

Geek. Twisted Evil

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:01 pm

Both. geek
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Ben Z Fri Jul 27, 2012 4:52 pm

$35B in Rev and $9B in profit for the quarter?! Good lord.

Having worked at Nike for a bit I can understand why their %s aren't better.
Ben Z
Ben Z
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Martin VW Fri Jul 27, 2012 5:10 pm

Ben Z wrote:$35B in Rev and $9B in profit for the quarter?! Good lord.

Having worked at Nike for a bit I can understand why their %s aren't better.

Yeah, I'm betting their SG & A as a % of revenue is just a *smidge* higher than ours.
Martin VW
Martin VW
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Ben Z Sat Jul 28, 2012 11:18 am

What happened to Lunar cushioning being the end all be all? I see the Flyknit is using Zoom air.
Ben Z
Ben Z
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave-O Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:10 am

THEY'RE MINE! ALL MINE!!!!!

Picked them up last night at the Fleet Feet Flyknit launch party. The process is quite unique: from the box they go into a plastic container where they are steamed for 5 minutes; when you put them on, you can feel how warm, soft and pliable the knit is; then you walk around in them for 10 minutes while they cool and form to your foot. They feel like a sock but with a sole equal to that of a Lunar Racer. Really excited to try them out on a run!
Dave-O
Dave-O

http://www.fleetfeetchicago.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Martin VW Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:15 am

Dave-O wrote:THEY'RE MINE! ALL MINE!!!!!

Picked them up last night at the Fleet Feet Flyknit launch party. The process is quite unique: from the box they go into a plastic container where they are steamed for 5 minutes; when you put them on, you can feel how warm, soft and pliable the knit is; then you walk around in them for 10 minutes while they cool and form to your foot. They feel like a sock but with a sole equal to that of a Lunar Racer. Really excited to try them out on a run!

Well, with all that personalized service, they're a bargain!

BTW, to put things in perspective, my son's (Nike) hockey skates were $500. And that isn't even top of the line ($700).

Enjoy, Dave.
Martin VW
Martin VW
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris M Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:25 am

Martin VW wrote:
Dave-O wrote:THEY'RE MINE! ALL MINE!!!!!

Well, with all that personalized service, they're a bargain!

BTW, to put things in perspective, my son's (Nike) hockey skates were $500. And that isn't even top of the line ($700).

Enjoy, Dave.

I use that justification all the time for buying running shoes. For me, its the "at least I don't bike..." One decent to good tri bike costs more than I'll spend on running shoes in a lifetime. Its jaw dropping to go to some of these tris and see all of the bikes and gear lined up and calculate in your head how much expenditure you are looking at in that transition area. Even a $200 pair of running shoes would be a complete bargain compared to what the tri loonies spend on their bikes.
Chris M
Chris M
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Wed Aug 01, 2012 2:02 pm

That sounds pretty cool, Dave! Hope to see photos and a review soon.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed Aug 01, 2012 2:21 pm

Think I'll steam up a pair of Mizuno... worth a shot, eh?

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:11 pm

So are these minimal type shoes then?? They don't look like it on the website. I'm guessing they are a no go for me with my orthotics and all. I already hurt myself trying a minimal shoe.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave-O Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:34 pm

Michele "1L" Keane wrote:So are these minimal type shoes then?? They don't look like it on the website. I'm guessing they are a no go for me with my orthotics and all. I already hurt myself trying a minimal shoe.

Not minimalist in the sense of heel drop. They are narrow, even for a Nike shoe, so I don't know how your orthotics would fit.

They come in the Trainer and Racer. Trainer is in the 9 ounce range. Racer is very light at 5.6 ounces, only 1,2 of which is attributable to the upper. The result is a very light racing flat that still offers a semi-cushioned sole.
Dave-O
Dave-O

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:40 pm

Dave-O wrote:
Michele "1L" Keane wrote:So are these minimal type shoes then?? They don't look like it on the website. I'm guessing they are a no go for me with my orthotics and all. I already hurt myself trying a minimal shoe.

Not minimalist in the sense of heel drop. They are narrow, even for a Nike shoe, so I don't know how your orthotics would fit.

They come in the Trainer and Racer. Trainer is in the 9 ounce range. Racer is very light at 5.6 ounces, only 1,2 of which is attributable to the upper. The result is a very light racing flat that still offers a semi-cushioned sole.

Thanks, I have racing orthotics that are lightweight and really not much more than the regular removable inner sole. and I like my shoes narrow. I wore the orthotics in my old sockracers.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris M Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:40 am

Ritz will be wearing the Flyknits in the 10k on Saturday. Check out this interview and picture:

http://news.runnersworld.com/2012/08/01/brief-chat-dathan-ritzenhein-ready-to-roll/
Chris M
Chris M
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave-O Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:53 am

Chris M wrote:Ritz will be wearing the Flyknits in the 10k on Saturday. Check out this interview and picture:

http://news.runnersworld.com/2012/08/01/brief-chat-dathan-ritzenhein-ready-to-roll/

I'm sure his Flyknit spikes weigh a little less than the regular racer. He did wear them in the Olympic trials in January, though. I think him and Abdi were the only provided with the prototype.
Dave-O
Dave-O

Back to top Go down

Post  Ben Z Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:00 pm

Dave -

Please post a review when you get a chance. I am most curious about the heel drop and cushioning. I've read it's a bit firmer than the original Lunaracers but still more than adequate for high mileage.

Also, some people are complaining with such a minimalist upper your foot kind of slides around a lot on canted surfaces or when turning.

Thoughts?
Ben Z
Ben Z
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave-O Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:54 pm

Ben Z wrote:Dave -

Please post a review when you get a chance. I am most curious about the heel drop and cushioning. I've read it's a bit firmer than the original Lunaracers but still more than adequate for high mileage.

Also, some people are complaining with such a minimalist upper your foot kind of slides around a lot on canted surfaces or when turning.

Thoughts?

How about now?

I wanted to wait a little bit before posting my review because my initial thought was: How can two shoes that weigh the same - the Flyknits and Spiders - feel so different? Now that I have done a tempo run, a progression run with 4 at goal MP, and a 20 miler, I can confirm that's true.

First, the Spiders are true racing flats. Minimal cushioning, minimal heel drop, firm, built for speed work. The Flyknits, on the other hand, are not racing flats. My opinion is that they are designed with the marathon specifically in mind. While they weigh only a touch over 5 ounces, they have the cushioning of a 7-9 ounce shoe. The heel is built up and I would not by any means consider them a minimalist shoe. if you like running in shoes with 0 or 4mm heel drop, these probably aren't for you. However, there is more cushioning in them than any 5 ounce ounce shoe I've ever worn. I do not find them quite as cushioned - or squishy, if you will - as the Lunar Racers. But the profile is similar; just a tad firmer,which I prefer.

The real benefit, though, comes from being so lightweight while providing that cushioning. The upper really fits like a sock. At first, it does feel like your foot slips around, and even a little heel slip. I don't think that's the case though. My first run in them I was worried about it, that my foot was sliding. But I was much more comfortable in them on my long 20. I made it through 20 without any blisters or having to re-tie them.

My final verdict: Best marathon shoe I've ever worn. The amount of cushioning provided with such light weight is fantastic. While I've worn the Spiders in the marathon before, they did beat up my feet and calves. That will not be the case with the Flyknits.

I would not race a 5k or 10k in them. I'll stick with the Spiders for those, and for any track work. Like I said, the heel is too substantial to be a real flat, and I think the Spiders are "faster." For a half-marathon....well, I'm still undecided.

Overall, I am 100% pleased with them and thrilled I have a shoe that I believe is ideal for the marathon. They are pricey at $165, so I am interested to see how many miles I get out of them. I've gone through 12 pairs of Lunar Racers and get 500-600 from those. I expect roughly the same, maybe 100 less, from the Flyknits.

Dave-O
Dave-O

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave-O Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:55 pm

Remind me and I'll post a pic of the Flyknits and Spiders next to each other, if you want to compare the heel lift.
Dave-O
Dave-O

Back to top Go down

Post  Ben Z Fri Aug 10, 2012 3:35 pm

Dave-O wrote:Remind me and I'll post a pic of the Flyknits and Spiders next to each other, if you want to compare the heel lift.

Reminded.
Ben Z
Ben Z
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2