365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Need suggestion for dinner after Chicago Marathon

+4
Dave Bussard
ounce
Michele "1L" Keane
dot520
8 posters

Go down

Need suggestion for dinner after Chicago Marathon Empty Need suggestion for dinner after Chicago Marathon

Post  dot520 Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:49 pm

I'll be staying in town (right there downtown on Michigan avenue) until Monday. I'd like to go somewhere for dinner on Sunday night. Haven't searched old threads here and can't search Hal's old thread to get the names of some places.

I'm big on ethnic food being vegetarian. Italian, Asian...greek, pretty much anything. I am also willing to taxi it to whereever. There may only be two of us so I don't need suggestions for a crowd.

Thanks, guys (and gals)

D
dot520
dot520
Top 10 Poster Emeritus
Top 10 Poster Emeritus

Back to top Go down

Need suggestion for dinner after Chicago Marathon Empty Re: Need suggestion for dinner after Chicago Marathon

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:01 pm

I need help here too as I am going to Chicago the weekend on 9/7 for my anniversary (I won't say how many years, but it is alot). We are staying at the Conrad Hotel on N. Rush (Hilton points). I haven't been to Chi-town since 2005 and I'm really looking forward to it.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Need suggestion for dinner after Chicago Marathon Empty Re: Need suggestion for dinner after Chicago Marathon

Post  ounce Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:22 pm

In 2008, I went to Pizzeria Duo (probably not spelling it right as they seemed to pronounce it "doo-AY") under Scott Kalina's recommendation. Always heard about the 'pizza pie' and damned if it didn't have a pie crust. There was a line, but since it was just me, I got to sit at one of those postage stamp sized tables quickly.

I believe it was near Pizzeria Uno and not too far from the Chicago Hilton by taxi (5 minutes), but for me it was too far to walk after the marathon.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave Bussard Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:30 am

The Havana Restaurant http://www.havanachicago.com/ It's an easy walk downtown just north of the river on Clark St.

The wife & I were in Chicago a few weeks ago with friends. Never eaten at a Cuban place before but everything we ordered was incredible! Very good place. We may be going back this week!
Dave Bussard
Dave Bussard
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  JohnP Tue Aug 21, 2012 4:13 pm

If you like Greek food, there is the Greek neighborhood just west of the loop. There are a lot of Greek restaurants there, maybe go by the ratings to get a good one.

http://www.yelp.com/search?find_desc=Greek+Town+Restaurants&find_loc=Chicago%2C+IL

A few good Italian restaurants are further into the city on the north side, you probably need reservations

http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/2/12549/restaurant/Lake-View/Fiorentinos-Cucina-Italiana-Chicago
JohnP
JohnP
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Erin Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:45 pm

Greek Islands is awesome!
Erin
Erin

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave-O Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:47 am

Dot - my wife is a big foodie. I'll forward this thread to her for some suggestions. I can never remember the names of the places we go....
Dave-O
Dave-O

http://www.fleetfeetchicago.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  dot520 Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:37 am

Hey, Dave...any word on restaurants?
dot520
dot520
Top 10 Poster Emeritus
Top 10 Poster Emeritus

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:28 pm

Dot - We went to Tavernita, The Purple Pig, and Takashi while we were in the city. Takashi is off the beaten path and really a "special occasion place" although on Sunday nights it is "noodles" only served family style Takashi was/is a chef on Top Chef masters. He also has a noodle restaurnat downtown somewhere called "The Slurping Turtle". Tavernita is a tapas restaurant that was trendy and fun, and The purple Pig is also a trendy restaurant right off Michigan AVe at Grand.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave-O Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:40 pm

dot520 wrote:Hey, Dave...any word on restaurants?

Whoops. Getting on that now...
Dave-O
Dave-O

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave-O Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:42 pm

Michele "1L" Keane wrote:Dot - We went to Tavernita, The Purple Pig, and Takashi while we were in the city. Takashi is off the beaten path and really a "special occasion place" although on Sunday nights it is "noodles" only served family style Takashi was/is a chef on Top Chef masters. He also has a noodle restaurnat downtown somewhere called "The Slurping Turtle". Tavernita is a tapas restaurant that was trendy and fun, and The purple Pig is also a trendy restaurant right off Michigan AVe at Grand.

Tavernita and Purple Pig are both great. Takashi is in my hood. That's not off the beaten path!

Before I get Britt's suggestions, I'll also offer Girl and the Goat. Its run by Stephanie Izzard (also from Top Chef) and is phenomenal. The menu is small plates divided into 3 sections - meat, fish and vegetables. Reservations can be tough but you can eat at the bar or kitchen bar as well.

Zed 451 and Hub 51 are very trendy newer Chicago places. I would double check the menu for vegetarian options though.

For Italian, I love Quartino. Its another small plate menu so its set up to try a lot of different options.

Karens on Green is a very well-reviewed vegatarian and vegan restaurant that Britt loves and I enjoy as well.

Ok, I asked Britt for a Top5 list. I'll post when she emails me back.

Dave-O
Dave-O

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave-O Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:48 pm

Official Mrs. Dave-O suggestions:

1. Karens on Green
2. Girl and the Goat
3. Cafe Ba Ba Reeba (Spanish Tapas)
4. Mercadito (upscale Taqueria)
5. RPM Italian
Dave-O
Dave-O

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Wed Sep 19, 2012 12:42 pm

Dot - I tried to get a reservation at Girl and the Goat and there was a month waiting list - so maybe if you do it now, you might get in.

Dave-O - well I couldn't walk to your hood from the Conrad Hotel, I had to take a cab (and I had heels on). Loved the area, though.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  dot520 Sat Sep 22, 2012 10:24 am

Thanks everyone. At this point, I'm eating at La Scarola on Friday night and will check out one of your suggestions for Sunday.
dot520
dot520
Top 10 Poster Emeritus
Top 10 Poster Emeritus

Back to top Go down

Post  Ben Z Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:31 pm

Mercat A La Planxa. Go with the tasting menu.

One of the top 3 meals I have ever had in my life. It's amazing.
Ben Z
Ben Z
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Ben Z Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:37 pm

Piece pizza is also my all-time favorite pizza, anywhere. The white pizza is absolutely amazing and the microbrews are good too. They routinely win awards for their microbrews. Unfortunately it's not walking distance from Michigan St. but it's a relatively inexpensive cab ride away.

I also vouch for Cafe Ba Ba Reeba, The Purple Pig and Quartino. Some of my favorite Chicago restaurants. Grab a Champagne cocktail at Pops for Champagne nearby or walk over to Guilt Bar for a great, craft cocktail after dinner.

All this talk of Chicago restaurants makes me miss that place. What a great city.
Ben Z
Ben Z
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down