365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Short RR - North Country Ultra

+3
Mark B
Julie
charles.moman
7 posters

Go down

Short RR - North Country Ultra Empty Short RR - North Country Ultra

Post  charles.moman Sat Aug 25, 2012 8:04 pm

I successfully ran the North Country trail marathon today, instead of the planned 50- miler. There were many in the ultra group - all much younger than me - who opted to only do one loop. It was a record hot day. I think by noon it was 93 or 94. Until about mile 16, I was doing very well and on my way to a first loop time of 6 hours or less. Out of the blue, my heart rate went through the roof and I could not get it down without almost stopping. The heat was just killing many of us and I got a little dehydrated. I had a very rough death march for a few miles. I sat at an aid station, ate watermelon and took off. Within a minute I instantly felt great and started back on my plan. But after a while I realized that I would not make it back to the start for my second loop in time to realistically finish within the time limit. If it had been cooler I am confident I would have finished the whole 50 miles. Photos and video later when we get home. I only had one really bad fall. It was a much tougher course, at times than I thought it would be. Much was very runnable and fun, but some section of sand and mountain bike rutted trails were tough. Also, more long ascending (and descending) hills than I expected. But today's story was crazy high heat. I am pleased with what I accomplished in spite of the conditions and I did not bail out and take a ride back to the start. More later.

Last edited by charles.moman on Sat Aug 25, 2012 8:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
charles.moman
charles.moman
Regular
Regular

http://www.charlesmoman.com

Back to top Go down

Short RR - North Country Ultra Empty Re: Short RR - North Country Ultra

Post  Julie Sat Aug 25, 2012 8:05 pm

Congratulations! And great job listening to your body in the very high heat! I hope your next race has better temperatures.
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Sat Aug 25, 2012 9:09 pm

That was a wise choice. Congrats on getting the marathon despite those very nasty conditions.

I see another one of these in your future before too long... except in better conditions.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  dot520 Sun Aug 26, 2012 2:41 pm

First off....congratulations on your marathon finish!! Awesome job. I had my 20 miler and thought about you often as I was slugging throguh. It sounds like you kept to your plan and if the first loop is any indication, you certainly could have finished in under 14 hours if it wasn't AUGUST! Sheesh..there aren't too many marathons offered up in August and rightly so. You're definitely taking your chance with the trail runs that seem to enjoy this summer timeframe with little competition from other races. Knowledge is power and you now know what the course is all about. Perfect reconoitering even if you had to suffer through some of it.

Looking forward to the rest of the report! Congrats again, Charles!
dot520
dot520
Top 10 Poster Emeritus
Top 10 Poster Emeritus

Back to top Go down

Post  Joel H Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:08 pm

Sounds like you made the smart decision and still finished a marathon. Congrats Charles! Better conditions next time I am sure will mean a 50 mile run complete.
Joel H
Joel H
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris Coleman Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:35 pm

This must have been a tough one. Personally, I'm used to those temperatures, but they're not for racing and not for long distances. Another lap would have spoilt the fun. Congratulations on the achievement.
Chris Coleman
Chris Coleman
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  amyjoann Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:07 pm

Charles sorry Mother nature pulled one on you. You made the right decision,sounds like a tough day congratulations on finishing what you did. Let me know when you are planning another 50 miler I might join you,if you would like company I want to run 50 miles but I'm scared to try it on my own.If you have one near IN in mind let me know ,maybe the ice age ones in WI ? Let me know what you think
amyjoann
amyjoann
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  charles.moman Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:19 pm

I am going for the new Indiana Trail 100/50 in April - check it out.
http://indianatrail100.com/

I am going up there in late September or October some Saturday to run/walk the route.
The folks at the race told me to let them know when I am coming and they will have someone waiting to take me out on the route.

Maybe you could come along and check it out with me?
It is at Chain O' Lakes State Park where the Huff 50k is held in January - thought it is not the same route.
charles.moman
charles.moman
Regular
Regular

http://www.charlesmoman.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down