365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Need New Marathon Racing Flats

+4
Chris M
Nick Morris
mul21
mountandog
8 posters

Go down

Need New Marathon Racing Flats Empty Need New Marathon Racing Flats

Post  mountandog Fri Sep 14, 2012 7:51 pm

My Adidas Adios Ekiden's have served me well. I have about 250 miles on them and thinking that maybe they should be retired.

So question #1: Is 250 miles a lot for this type of shoe, should they be replaced

#2: What is the latest and greatest? I train primarily in Kinvaras, run 13.1 and shorter races in Brooks T7, but am thinking they are a tad light on cushioning for full 26.2. Race weight is around 165 pounds. Narrow feet - "A" width. Target time is about 3:00:00. Any recommendations for flats.
mountandog
mountandog
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Need New Marathon Racing Flats Empty Re: Need New Marathon Racing Flats

Post  mul21 Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:59 pm

I also go with the T7 up to the HM distance and I've had good luck with both the Musha and Ronin from Mizuno. I have a pair of Sacony Fastwitch right now that I'd give mixed reviews on because of a minor blister issue I had on a tempo run and I haven't had a chance to take my new Asics Hyperspeed out for a spin yet, but they were really cheap at Running Warehouse last week and I've had good luck with Asics in general.
mul21
mul21
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:06 pm

Just like Jim, I too have had good luck with the Musha and Ronin from Mizuno. They are both light, yet cushioned. The Ronins are a little bit lighter than the Mushas.
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris M Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:22 pm

I swear by the Nike Lunar Racers and use them for every race distance.
Chris M
Chris M
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey Sat Sep 15, 2012 6:33 am

I have been wearing my T7's for marathons since 2008 (T5's then) and I wore my T7's for the JFK 50 miler last year. I have found that for me there has been enough cushion for me. The funny thing is that I have tried and still have a pair of Musha and find them to be harder on my feet then the T7's. I don't mind the Lunar racer but only training in them and run up to 10 to 12 miles in them anything past that I get bad blister do to the toe box being a little tight.

So what is the bottom line from above what works for one may not work for you and what one person things is enough cushion may not be the case for you. My advice would be try a few different pair of shoes for long runs of 20 miles or more for different type of long runs (slow, fartlek, fast finish and MP). See what you like and who knows you might find a completely different pair of shoes.

I would have never know to wear the Brooks T's if I didn't take the chance one Spring in Boston. I didn't think they would be enough shoe well I tried them ran a PR and found that they were enough shoe for the marathon and then found last year enough for me to run 50 miles in.

Good luck with your choice. cheers
Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Sat Sep 15, 2012 11:19 am

My Adidas Adios lasted about 250 miles as well (in fact, I think I got hurt wearing them for my last half race as they may have been too worn out). I like them, but cannot wear them for the marathon distance (too light a shoe for the distance for me). I have though worn my Adidas Tempos (a bit heaver than the Adios) and Bostons for the marathon distance with success.

However, like Schuey said, not every shoe works for all of us, and I doubt I could train in the Kinvara - so you might be able to wear the T7s for the distance.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  T Miller Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:12 am

I've been training in the Kinvara and I love them so much I've been thinking about racing my marathon in them. I've had a pair of Musha's for a couple years and they are fine but there is just something about them that keeps them from being my shoe of choice. Actually, I think it's because my heel doesn't seem to be snug in them. I've raced my last few marathons in either Lunar Racers or the Spira Stingers and have a relatively new pair of each in the rotation so they may win out if I decide against the Kinvara. I used to race in the T5 racers and although I haven't really had any problem with them I've decided to with a little more shoe.
T Miller
T Miller
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave-O Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:53 pm

I think 250 miles is a decent number for a flat. I typically squeeze a little more out of them, but I relegate them to easy run/treadmill/junk mile duty. If I can get 200 "quality" miles from a flat I'm content.

I would recommend going to a local running store and trying on as many as possible, just see what feels best.
Dave-O
Dave-O

http://www.fleetfeetchicago.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  mountandog Sun Sep 23, 2012 12:37 pm

Based on Shuey's comments I took my T7s out for an 18miler today. No problem. Am thinking I might be able to do 26.2 in them now. Hmm.
mountandog
mountandog
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down