365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sub Par Half Marry Rock n Roll Philly.

+3
Michele "1L" Keane
Nick Morris
Kenny B.
7 posters

Go down

Sub Par Half Marry Rock n Roll Philly. Empty Sub Par Half Marry Rock n Roll Philly.

Post  Kenny B. Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:01 am

I hitched a ride with a friend and his whole family the morning of the race. Nice to have the company.

My Goal was to beat my last years time
which was a PR of 1:32:27. Did not really know what I was capable of since I did not run any HM pace runs really other than some speed work and some at just above HMP. But, I figured I'd hover around 7:00 from mile 2-10 and see what I had left.

First mile I was already on the slower side of 7:21. Not too bad but would have preferred 7:15 as I segue into 7:00 splits. From mile 2 through 8 I was choppy from 6:55 to 7:10. I never really felt good going near 7:00 and come mile 9 which is the only slight hill up to the bridge I clocked 7:15 and felt every step of it.

Mile 10 -13.1 I still had a chance to PR if I was going to go 6:50's but nothing in my legs felt capable of that. I ended up just even pace around 7:10 to 7:15 although passing quite a few people I was not mentally feeling it.

Last year, the last I kicked it up quite a bit doing sub 7:00's, but I did not have a kick in me.

As I got to mile 13 I did start sprinting to the finish line and passed another 3 or 4 people and crossed the line at 1:33:56.

Weather although decent was not my ideal. around 60-65 sunny (although shady until mile 11 or so).

I was 1:30 min off from my PR not my best showing.

I did look at my schedule from this cycle first 11 weeks vs. last cycle and the main difference I can easily tell is last cycle I was kneed deep in LT runs vs. this cycle I am about to begin them. This program McMillian 20 weeks builds a strong base on the beginning with lots of runs around MP +20 to 30. Also, last cycle I had many fast finish long runs and this cycle so far only one which also picks up moving forward.

Excuses maybe but whatever gets me through to the next level.

PS: After we went to Pat's for cheese steaks. I can only enjoy the smell of it as I don't eat it but I did bring my wife home one. (Wit Wit) for you philly fans!
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

http://www.365Competitors.com

Back to top Go down

Sub Par Half Marry Rock n Roll Philly. Empty Re: Sub Par Half Marry Rock n Roll Philly.

Post  Nick Morris Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:50 am

Good HM Kenny...even though you didn't hit your PR, it looks like you gutted it out and still finished with a decent time. There is definitely no need to hang your head.

Mmm Pat's...wiz wit is the only way to go Smile
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Sub Par Half Marry Rock n Roll Philly. Empty Re: Sub Par Half Marry Rock n Roll Philly.

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:25 pm

Hey Kenny - that was an excellent race during the middle of a tough training cycle and in warm weather. Don't beat yourself up over it as that won't change anything and it will just give you an unnecessary headache. I think you are right on target for what it is worth.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  T Miller Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:45 am

Hey Kenny, I think you're right on with your evaluation. I think you missed the PR because of where you're at in the training cycle. I can't wait to see where you end up at the end of the cycle. Stay healthy and injury free.
T Miller
T Miller
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Kubacki Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:02 pm

Nice speed workout in the middle of your cycle Kenny. Great job.
Alex Kubacki
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  JohnP Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:14 pm

Still a good job Kenny. I always like reading your race reports!
JohnP
JohnP
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave-O Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:20 pm

Kenny B. wrote:
I did look at my schedule from this cycle first 11 weeks vs. last cycle and the main difference I can easily tell is last cycle I was kneed deep in LT runs vs. this cycle I am about to begin them.

In that case, this performance is a very good indication of strong base fitness. Well done.
Dave-O
Dave-O

http://www.fleetfeetchicago.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down