365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Brooklyn Marathon vs. Philly Marathon

+3
EugeneGreenie
mul21
Kenny B.
7 posters

Go down

Brooklyn Marathon vs. Philly Marathon Empty Brooklyn Marathon vs. Philly Marathon

Post  Kenny B. Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:23 am

I am scheduled to run my #5 Philly Marathon Nov. 18th. But I am considering switching to Brooklyn Marathon the same day in prospect park. It's a small race maybe a few hundred runners with 9 loops or so. There are some hills but also some healthy downhills. If I do Philly I'd stay over probably 2 nights (cost $600 food and hotel) vs. Brooklyn (no cost except registration fee $95.00). So I am considering saving $500 and do Brooklyn.

My concern is the 9 loops. But, it is Brooklyn and I think the only Brooklyn Marathon so sporting a t-shirt from them would be nice! Plus, my family (wife, dad probably, kids) get to see me 9 times vs. philly once if they are lucky.

Logistically, philly is some sense is easier because hotel is near the start vs. brooklyn driving there the day of. But because parking should not be an issue that day.

Any thoughts?
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

http://www.365Competitors.com

Back to top Go down

Brooklyn Marathon vs. Philly Marathon Empty Re: Brooklyn Marathon vs. Philly Marathon

Post  mul21 Sat Oct 13, 2012 12:29 pm

I'd be more concerned about the downhills beating me up than anything else. You need to get sponsorship like me so you can travel, stay, and race for free! Twisted Evil
mul21
mul21
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Brooklyn Marathon vs. Philly Marathon Empty Re: Brooklyn Marathon vs. Philly Marathon

Post  Kenny B. Sat Oct 13, 2012 12:41 pm

mul21 wrote:I'd be more concerned about the downhills beating me up than anything else. You need to get sponsorship like me so you can travel, stay, and race for free! Twisted Evil

Funny. The downhills are manageable. Mmmmmm

Plus I'd Miss out on breaking bread with you and John.
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  EugeneGreenie Sat Oct 13, 2012 2:35 pm

I guess for me it comes down to what the purpose of doing the marathon is:

If it is to cross a big, popular marathon off your list, or maybe get a good time...then Philly.

If it is do run a unique marathon with a bit of a renegade spirit, then run Brooklyn...plus saving the $ on travel would seem like a nice bonus...

E Greenie
EugeneGreenie
EugeneGreenie
Poster
Poster

http://traniningup.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post  JohnP Sat Oct 13, 2012 4:40 pm

A lot depends on your goal for the race. Are you trying to BQ at this race? Have you trained on hills enough (remember healthy downhills means healthy uphills too). If you are running it for fun, it seems that saving the $500 makes a lot of sense. If you are running for a BQ, then you need to consider which race gives you the best opportunity for that. Since you've run Philly enough, you can easily figure this out.
JohnP
JohnP
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. Sat Oct 13, 2012 6:07 pm

JohnP wrote:A lot depends on your goal for the race. Are you trying to BQ at this race? Have you trained on hills enough (remember healthy downhills means healthy uphills too). If you are running it for fun, it seems that saving the $500 makes a lot of sense. If you are running for a BQ, then you need to consider which race gives you the best opportunity for that. Since you've run Philly enough, you can easily figure this out.

I've done some hill work this training so I think I am good with that. I navigated well today on the hills in prospect park. I've also run Prospect park many times and know the hill (repeat 6-9x I guess) real well. It's basically a long hill maybe 3/4 of mile but in the marathon I think we will hit it a many times.

I am out to PR and I might think Brooklyn gives me best shot with family support every loop vs. philly only once.

Tough decision on this one!

PS: Watched a video about the race and "One Daunting Hill and you do it 6x's". OK well it might not have been to daunting today doing 2x but 6x ouch! We will see.
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Brooklyn Marathon vs. Philly Marathon Empty Brooklyn Would Love To Have You!

Post  slastoe Sat Oct 20, 2012 9:15 am

Come run our race - I'll bet the RD of Philly won't respond to this thread!

slastoe

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. Sat Oct 20, 2012 9:53 am

slastoe wrote:Come run our race - I'll bet the RD of Philly won't respond to this thread!

That's for sure. If not this year next year. I'm Brooklyn native so I got to do it. Anything less would be uncivilized.
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey Sat Oct 20, 2012 11:08 am

slastoe wrote:Come run our race - I'll bet the RD of Philly won't respond to this thread!

Now that is pretty cool! Thanks for taking the time to come post to our great community!

Kenny I will have to dig it up but I think it was in Runner's World or maybe somewhere online that I read a nice article about the Brooklyn Marathon. Talked about how it started and other cool history facts about the race.

I'm hoping with now the birth of Kristina and Lisa getting back to run we can travel to other marathons outside of my normal yearly double of Chicago and Boston in the coming years!
Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. Sat Oct 20, 2012 12:26 pm

Schuey wrote:

Now that is pretty cool! Thanks for taking the time to come post to our great community!

Kenny I will have to dig it up but I think it was in Runner's World or maybe somewhere online that I read a nice article about the Brooklyn Marathon. Talked about how it started and other cool history facts about the race.

I'm hoping with now the birth of Kristina and Lisa getting back to run we can travel to other marathons outside of my normal yearly double of Chicago and Boston in the coming years!

That would be great. I am down for brooklyn marathon at some point. Thinking as a fun run after NYC next year since I get into NYC automatically I guess I should do it.
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  wheakory Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:33 pm

I would think if your family would get to see you 9 times what a motivator that would be. You don't know what you might accomplish being in a home environment. I think that the Expense and Family would favor Brooklyn for me.
wheakory
wheakory
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:11 am

wheakory wrote:I would think if your family would get to see you 9 times what a motivator that would be. You don't know what you might accomplish being in a home environment. I think that the Expense and Family would favor Brooklyn for me.

I agree. Just bad timing.
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down