365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thoughts on a New Training Approach

+6
T Miller
Mark B
Michele "1L" Keane
Admin
Jerry
Ben Z
10 posters

Go down

Thoughts on a New Training Approach Empty Thoughts on a New Training Approach

Post  Ben Z Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:06 pm

It’s time for me to focus on other types of race distances and the training that goes along with them for a while I feel. Basically, I need a break from the marathon training cycle.

So looking for opinions on the best way to improve my road marathon times in the future. The three options I am considering are:

1. Focus on increasing my base and targeting 50k to 50 mile trail runs next year. I’ve run one 50k before and will be running one again next month. I really enjoy trail running and I think the type of training that goes along with it (i.e., more of a focus of time on your feet long runs, hills and occasional back-to-back Saturday / Sunday long runs) could help me in the long run? The kicker here is that based on my work schedule and where I live I can certainly train on trails but not everyday.

2. Focus on speed at shorter distances. Train specifically for at least one 5K, one 10k and two half marathons next year. I’ve only trained specifically for a half one time in my life and never for a 5k or 10k.

3. Some combination of the two.

I probably won’t target a road marathon for a PR attempt for at least a year so I’ll have plenty of time to re-focus my efforts with any of the options.

What do you think?
Ben Z
Ben Z
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Thoughts on a New Training Approach Empty Re: Thoughts on a New Training Approach

Post  Jerry Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:08 pm

Not sure how to improve your marathon time, but I do know what hippie moves would kill your marathon karma, ultra and barefoot. lol!
Jerry
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Thoughts on a New Training Approach Empty Re: Thoughts on a New Training Approach

Post  Admin Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:37 pm

I'd suggest doing what you think you are going to enjoy the most. My guess from what you wrote is that trail running and ultras are what you'd enjoy more... shorter distance racing is (as you know) hard, intense work. Trails and ultras are a whole different animal... much more relaxed and 'zen'-like... but still grueling in their own way.

Follow your joy and you really can't go wrong. Marathons will still be there when/if you decide to race another one.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:28 am

I agree with Matt. I did the same after my marathon PR, and I focused the next few yrs of my running life on 10Ks and half marathons as they are really what I enjoy (even today) the most. After this training cycle, I might focus on half marathons yet again. I think either way the strength and/or speed that you will gain will benefit you in the long run.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:34 pm

I'd say Option #3, with an emphasis on the ultra distances. You don't need to run trails every day to have good success on trail races. And those long, slower runs to get ready for ultra distances just might give you an extra aerobic boost when you go back to the marathon distance. Throwing in a few competitive 5K or 10K races might keep it exciting and prevent those fast-twitch muscles from falling to sleep.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  T Miller Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:42 pm

I say option #3. It's funny, our trajectories have been very similar over the last couple years. I was shooting for a sub 2:50 this fall and failed. My next adventure is to do a 50 miler in April and then I'll shift to triathlon and shorter distance running events over the summer. Depending on how all that goes and how I'm feeling, I may just give 2:50 another attempt in the fall. I say that you should mix it up a little to keep it interesting and break it up into periods with a different focus for each.
T Miller
T Miller
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:40 pm

T Miller wrote:I say option #3. It's funny, our trajectories have been very similar over the last couple years. I was shooting for a sub 2:50 this fall and failed. My next adventure is to do a 50 miler in April and then I'll shift to triathlon and shorter distance running events over the summer. Depending on how all that goes and how I'm feeling, I may just give 2:50 another attempt in the fall. I say that you should mix it up a little to keep it interesting and break it up into periods with a different focus for each.

It's funny,our trajectories have been very similar over the last couple years as Jerry is thinking about P90X. lol!
Jerry
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  T Miller Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:49 am

Jerry wrote:
T Miller wrote:I say option #3. It's funny, our trajectories have been very similar over the last couple years. I was shooting for a sub 2:50 this fall and failed. My next adventure is to do a 50 miler in April and then I'll shift to triathlon and shorter distance running events over the summer. Depending on how all that goes and how I'm feeling, I may just give 2:50 another attempt in the fall. I say that you should mix it up a little to keep it interesting and break it up into periods with a different focus for each.

It's funny,our trajectories have been very similar over the last couple years as Jerry is thinking about P90X. lol!

All I have to say is "Bring It!" Smile
T Miller
T Miller
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:24 am

Going to throw in my 2 cents:

Option 3 does sound like the most "fun," but if you're really wanting to hit some ultra PRs and excel at that distance, a year is not enough time, much less just 6-8mo before you transition to faster stuff. I know you've done some longer-than-marathon running, but once you throw trails in the mix, it's a completely different animal.

That said, as long as you can get on trails twice a week, you should be good to go. Just learn to run downhill very fast and very carefully; supposedly that's how the races are won.
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

https://www.facebook.com/mike.a.maclellan

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:35 am

Mr MattM wrote:I'd suggest doing what you think you are going to enjoy the most. My guess from what you wrote is that trail running and ultras are what you'd enjoy more... shorter distance racing is (as you know) hard, intense work. Trails and ultras are a whole different animal... much more relaxed and 'zen'-like... but still grueling in their own way.

Follow your joy and you really can't go wrong. Marathons will still be there when/if you decide to race another one.

+1. It's no fun, if it's work.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave-O Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:22 pm

Both 1 and 2 will provide long term benefit for your marathon fitness. So, why not 6 months of each? Frankly, focusing on speed work and hard intervals is easier to do in the warmer months. I would lean towards a 4-6 month aerobic endurance/trails/ultra period, and then transition back to getting some speed in those legs.
Dave-O
Dave-O

http://www.fleetfeetchicago.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  wrichman Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:04 pm

I say do what you enjoy the most. If that's both, then do both.
I still do some speed training while training for ultras. You may be surprised with the carryover effects of ultra training to shorter distances. I increased my ultra training and racing this year, but still got a new marathon PR this fall (with a 6 min. negative spilt so apparently I could have gone faster) mostly because my endurance increased. The race felt short after doing 8 hr. stuff.
wrichman
wrichman
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down