365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dissertating And Running

+9
Schuey
Dave P
Kenny B.
dot520
Jerry
Seth Harrison
Mark B
Michele "1L" Keane
Michael Mitchell
13 posters

Page 7 of 16 Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 11 ... 16  Next

Go down

Dissertating And Running - Page 7 Empty Tired, Disgusted, But Hopefully Optimistic

Post  Michael Mitchell Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:20 pm

Did not run Wednesday. Just worked from 8 am to 6 pm. Lovely. Today, it was tough, but doable. I was soaked and tired, but determined. 55:00 for 7 miles. I just wanted a base and not be blasted. I accomplished it. Tomorrow, it should be a 7:41/7:36 pace to get back to a normal. Maybe I am just adjusting. Who knows. We have a heck of a weekend coming up. 100 for Saturday and Sunday. My run will be just great. Sigh. I have 21 miles this week.
Michael Mitchell
Michael Mitchell
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

http://www.letsrun.com

Back to top Go down

Dissertating And Running - Page 7 Empty Summer Of Discontent

Post  Michael Mitchell Sat Jun 29, 2013 3:10 pm

This summer has been the worst. Well, the year. I have not been motivated to do anything. I have to find positives in the smallest of places. That being said, I ran 33 miles this week ( 7 miles in the afternoon..and I will do 5 easy tonight). That is a huge positive over the past 2 months. I ran a very tough and heat induced 52:59 for 7 miles. The funny thing about this is that the breaker kicks off sometimes during my run. It did this time, but right at 52:59. Funny, not. Well, that means no television or fans on my runs. I tried with the television, but it kicked off. Again, this was not great, but I can live with it. Tomorrow, YMCA and 53:12 and under. Oh yeah, it is 100 now. Lovely.
Michael Mitchell
Michael Mitchell
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Dissertating And Running - Page 7 Empty Can 99 Be Refreshing?

Post  Michael Mitchell Sun Jun 30, 2013 7:28 pm

Yes. Yes it can. It is. Wow. Very nice outside. The run was actually good. I am serious. 53:12 for 7 miles and it was not stressful at all. Now, can I get five more like that this week. Chances are good because it is supposed to be dry until the 4th. Let us hope so. I have 7 miles this week.
Michael Mitchell
Michael Mitchell
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Dissertating And Running - Page 7 Empty Why?

Post  Michael Mitchell Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:10 am

Playing to the tune of Megadeth's When from Countdown to Extinction. This was voted by Dave Mustaine as his favorite Megadeth album. They have had 14 (11 Grammy nominations too...) albums, so that is a lot to choose from. I would think Rust in Peace or Peace Sells would be better, but those were two and three. Well, I digress. This run sucked. I mean sucked. That happens. When you are just praying for your run to finish, that is a bad. LOL. When you cannot breathe because of allergies (Hello, Galen Rupp..LOL), then you just pray for the minutes to count down. Oh, the last two miles were at a 7:24 pace, but I swear I was dying. (53:10 for 7 miles. I was 45 seconds over pace at 3 miles) LOL. Today, I am praying it will be better, because I swear, there are times I do hate running. It was so bad, I had to back off for two miles (7:53 pace) to catch my breath. Sorry for the rant. LOL. No amount of metal helped yesterday. Again, I hated running something terrible yesterday. My new Ipod Nano still shuffles ( even when the Shake Shuffle is off). I have had to resort to my little Ipod Shuffle. Oh well, rant over. I have 14 miles this week. Run will be at 3 pm today.
Michael Mitchell
Michael Mitchell
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Dissertating And Running - Page 7 Empty Re: Dissertating And Running

Post  Mark B Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:36 pm

Maybe the metal weighed you down, Michael!

Next time, how about some of this?

That ought to have you floating through those hot-n-nasty runs! Relax!
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Mitchell Fri Jul 05, 2013 4:22 pm

Mark B wrote:Maybe the metal weighed you down, Michael!

Next time, how about some of this?

That ought to have you floating through those hot-n-nasty runs! Relax!

Great. Zamfir. I remember Johnny Carson doing a spoof of him. Classic!!
Michael Mitchell
Michael Mitchell
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Dissertating And Running - Page 7 Empty Zyrtec Anyone?

Post  Michael Mitchell Fri Jul 05, 2013 4:25 pm

Good Lord another scrap heap of a run. What the heck? Well, it started off bad (10 minute warmup and I was wheezing then too...) and it ended worse. I shuffled between 7:36, 7:30 and 7:24 pace (52:30 for 7 miles). I was praying for it to end. I was soaked, wheezing and just about dying. In the process, I hurt my calf ( I am thinking it is ok, but it has a knot in it..thank you Compartment Syndrome), so I am backing off to an 8 minute pace today. It is hot and humid in Houston, but what do you want?. LOL. I must admit, this has been the wackiest year running for me yet. Inconsistency is the name of this year. Who knows what is in store this Fall? I have 23 miles this week.
Michael Mitchell
Michael Mitchell
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Dissertating And Running - Page 7 Empty Scrappy Doooo!!!!

Post  Michael Mitchell Fri Jul 05, 2013 8:41 pm

Still scrappy. That is what this run was. Running to Savatage's Gutter Ballet, I got my new Ipod Nano to finally work without skipping. The first mile (nursing a sore calf) was an 8:30. The last 4 miles were at 30:20. Yep, not too bad. Still hot. Still humid. Still have work to do, but I think the allergies are letting up a bit. I did add Flonase to the Zyrtec. That seems to help. Tomorrow, 9 miles with a 53:12 7 miler in the middle. I have 28 miles this week. Oh, we have a tropical wave/depression/storm ( I put that in because only Mother Nature knows what entity this will be) coming Sunday/Monday. That will mean the PWATS ( precipitable water in the air ) will be 2.0 and higher. Lovely. I love Summer. Thanks. Smile
Michael Mitchell
Michael Mitchell
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:00 pm

Pollen. Pollution. Heat. Humidity.

Geez, Michael. They ought to just award every runner in the greater Houston area a medal for simply surviving the summer and be done with it.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Dissertating And Running - Page 7 Empty Yepper

Post  Michael Mitchell Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:11 pm

Mark B wrote:Pollen. Pollution. Heat. Humidity.

Geez, Michael. They ought to just award every runner in the greater Houston area a medal for simply surviving the summer and be done with it.

In the summer, yep. I agree.
Michael Mitchell
Michael Mitchell
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Dissertating And Running - Page 7 Empty Allergies, They Are A Must

Post  Michael Mitchell Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:08 am

Well, it is getting better. Not great. Not amazing. Just better. "SLOWLY". 52:30 and another struggle run. I was soaked. Tired and all that. The two miles were at a 7:36 pace, the next three were at a 7:24 pace ( I could not hold it, I tried, but the wheezing got to me) and the last two at a 7:30 pace for a 52:30. I was really worn out after this. I am officially switching from my Asics Gel Excite to my new Asics Gel Express 4's. The Excites have given me 600 miles. Time to go into retirement. I ended up with 37 miles this week. Best week in at least 4 months. I know I can still get to 7 minute pace, but the allergies have got to let up. Today, 7 miles at 7:36 pace at the YMCA. Should be cold there. Smile( I ran two miles Saturday for the extra two miles on the total)
Michael Mitchell
Michael Mitchell
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Dissertating And Running - Page 7 Empty Nicer, But Still Rough Around The Edges

Post  Michael Mitchell Sun Jul 07, 2013 6:26 pm

7:36 pace for 7 miles (53:12). It was not easy as pie, but a lot easier than it has been. I love the Lake Houston YMCA. That bad boy is cool and insulated. It is nice, even with tons of folks. I can watch TV and not enjoy the Astros getting beat. Lovely. I was in such a mood, I was watching other folks run and comparing as two folks were running at the same speed watching Star Trek. Like I said, zonal running is fun. Thanks. Let us see if it can come close to panning out at the Houston Texans branch tomorrow at 2 pm. I have 7 miles this week.
Michael Mitchell
Michael Mitchell
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:55 pm

A/C in a treadmill room is pretty much the nicest thing anybody ever came up with. I've walked into a few hotel exercise rooms, and it took me a few minutes to figure out why it was so darn cold! Hope you get to run there more this summer. Might make it tolerable - though I have to wonder, given all the heat work you do, have you ever considered running Badwater?
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Dissertating And Running - Page 7 Empty An Unbelievable Week

Post  Michael Mitchell Sun Jul 14, 2013 6:09 pm

I do not know where to start. I ended with 18 miles for the week. Seriously, 18 miles. I could not even run Monday through Thursday. Seriously. I worked from 7:30 am to 5 pm each day. My lunch break was even taken. I got a good 5 miler on Friday, 39:54 and that was it. Oh well, I chalk it up my legs needed the break. Now today. Clean. Clear. Smooth. Great. It was cold. I mean cold in the YMCA. I loved it. 52:30 for 7 miles and I was still rolling and I added an extra minute on for good measure. Felt good. Now, for the Texans Branch this week. I am going to bring a fan. Maybe that will offset the very hotness of the branch. Otherwise, I will have to gut it through. I have 7 miles this week.
Michael Mitchell
Michael Mitchell
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Dissertating And Running - Page 7 Empty Sundays Are Always Right With Me

Post  Michael Mitchell Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:13 am

The week starts out grand. Everything is popping. Then, the rest of the week rolls in. Monday, no run. Work, all day. Tuesday, child gets sick. I have to get home due to vomiting issues. I did not want to chance it running in the house. Then Wednesday rolls around. I get to Cossaboom. It is horrible. I get that it is humid outside. I get that. I get that they are in a basement. I get that they "do" not want to do anything. Good gosh almighty. I ranted this after one mile and I was soaked. I mean soaked. Went home and ran 7 miles in 56 minutes. I was shredded. I was tired. I was soaked, but done. Thursday, it was hot and humid. I come home and I am soaked. Yes, from the drive home, I am soaked. You are worn out just getting out of the car. No run then. It takes the starch out of you. Today, I ran for 2 miles. This morning it was ok. This afternoon, one mile warm up, 7 miles at 7:36 pace and a one mile cool down. That will give me 25 miles for the week. I am planning on trying to get 10 miles tomorrow to end at 35 for the week. Oh yeah, I have to do yardwork, grade exams and write on my dissertation and take my son to see Turbo. Fun . Smile
Michael Mitchell
Michael Mitchell
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Dissertating And Running - Page 7 Empty Screw 7:36 Pace

Post  Michael Mitchell Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:40 pm

Good Lord it was humid. I mean wow. I got in a 55:30 and I am done. I do not care. LOL. It is done. Tomorrow is supposed to be the same. Probably another 55:30. I will get three to four in the morning.
Michael Mitchell
Michael Mitchell
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Dissertating And Running - Page 7 Empty Checking In For The Day

Post  Michael Mitchell Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:51 am

Been awhile. Got 35 miles in last week. Ok week. Not great, will catch you all up later. This week.. I ran a 52:30 for 7 miles on Sunday, 2 miles in 18:00 on Monday ( could not run a 7 miler in the afternoon for I had meetings all day long), 19 minute 2 miler this morning with a 53:12 heat induced, humidity wracked 7 miler at 2:15 this afternoon. Smile
Michael Mitchell
Michael Mitchell
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:33 am

Glad you're keeping at it despite the distractions and gawdawful conditions, Michael. I bet Badwater would feel like a frolic after so many hours laboring in the dungeon at Cossaboom.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Dissertating And Running - Page 7 Empty Cruel Cruel Summer

Post  Michael Mitchell Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:45 am

It is has been a long while since I have logged in. Dealing with teaching 3 classes this Summer, wife going on two trips back to back, my running either sucking hard or me hurt ( yes, I am semi hurt), this Summer has been just the pits. Well, we can always strive for the Fall. First, I am semi hurt. Yes, Compartment Syndrome. I was supposed to have my appointment July 24, but I could not make it due to interviews. I called them and was supposed to be put on voice mail alert for my orthotist to bring me in quickly. Well, three weeks later, that plan totally backfired. As it is with Compartment Syndrome, the longer you let it go, the worse it gets. I got a 54:30 in for 7 miles last Saturday and that was it. I ran 2 miles on Monday and it was sore as all get out. Now, they will see me Thursday at 9:30 am, so conditions will improve almost immediately. I took out my frustrations yesterday on the bike. Set at 2, I plowed through one hour totally drenched. The bike said I road 14.40 miles, but I was worried more about the conditioning. I will be back on the bike today. I did run 2 miles this morning, with the latter half at 8:30 pace. I will see about jogging after my bike ride today. I totally expect to be running by Saturday at the Lake Houston YMCA with their soft treadmills. It should be an 8 minute pace. I have a race August 24 at 7:00 am, but if I am still hurt, that maybe out the window. Next week will be the key. I have 4 miles this week.
Michael Mitchell
Michael Mitchell
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:18 am

Sorry to hear you are hurt, Michael!
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Mitchell Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:25 am

Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:Sorry to hear you are hurt, Michael!

Thanks. I will be ok. Ya'll know this comes twice a year. Smile I will be running by at least Friday and should be back to semi normal by Sunday. :0
Michael Mitchell
Michael Mitchell
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:33 pm

Bah. That's so annoying. It sounds like you're stuck constantly running on the edge of a compartment syndrome flare-up.

Getting it fixed, once and for all, would take you out of commission from running for a while, but the people I've seen who have had the procedure seemed to do pretty well for themselves after the fact (Mary Decker, Kara Goucher, Wendy Miller), so that's something to consider, at least.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave P Thu Aug 15, 2013 6:15 am

ugh, I hate reading about injuries (especially since I've had enough for a lifetime.) Hope you're better soon & I'll pray for you.
Dave P
Dave P
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Mitchell Fri Aug 16, 2013 7:21 pm

Mark B wrote:Bah. That's so annoying. It sounds like you're stuck constantly running on the edge of a compartment syndrome flare-up.

Getting it fixed, once and for all, would take you out of commission from running for a while, but the people I've seen who have had the procedure seemed to do pretty well for themselves after the fact (Mary Decker, Kara Goucher, Wendy Miller), so that's something to consider, at least.

Agreed, but my GP and my DC/PA have said they will not do it. They understand, but will not do it. They have stated the Compartment Syndrome is not bad enough to warrant surgery. I will say this. If we had kept the appointment July 25 when it was originally scheduled, I would not be hurt. My orthotist agreed to this too. We will bring me in every three months as opposed to six months. She did say that she has 6 CS patients and I am right in the middle of severeness. She said my usually bounce back after two or three days, for the worst, it is months.
Michael Mitchell
Michael Mitchell
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Dissertating And Running - Page 7 Empty In Progress

Post  Michael Mitchell Fri Aug 16, 2013 7:24 pm

Thanks Dave and Mark and Michele. I thank you for your support. Yeah, I hate it, but I live with it. Ok, today. This morning's run was good. 20 minutes for 2 miles. I was like, ok, this is good. It ended with an 8:30 pace. Now, this afternoon. I was doing an 8 minute pace. That is it. These next three runs will dictate whether I run next Saturday or not. Well, it starts to rain. Heavily. The humidity jacks up. Great. Woo Hoo. (Not). The run went well. Half of it at an 8 minute pace and the other half at a 7:54 pace. Not bad. Now, I will be sore on my Soleus tomorrow, but that is to be expected. I wanted to run at the Lake Houston YMCA, but time got away from me, so it was at home. Again, 55:24 for 7 miles and I am ok with it. Tomorrow, same thing. We might branch out on Sunday, but right now, getting mileage on the legs. I have 13 miles this week.
Michael Mitchell
Michael Mitchell
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 16 Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 11 ... 16  Next