365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Garmin Forerunner 305 Shitting Out

+8
Nick Morris
mul21
Jerry
Chris M
Mark B
mountandog
T Miller
Mike MacLellan
12 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Garmin Forerunner 305 Shitting Out Empty Garmin Forerunner 305 Shitting Out

Post  Mike MacLellan Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:55 pm

Well... Can't say I'm happy about this. The device works fine. I have it plugged in to the computer, in its cradle, and it's charging; however, it won't upload anything. Says the device can't be found. I've uninstalled (completely) and reinstalled Garmin drivers as well as the Communicator plugin. Multiple times. To no avail. Thoughts?
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

https://www.facebook.com/mike.a.maclellan

Back to top Go down

Garmin Forerunner 305 Shitting Out Empty Re: Garmin Forerunner 305 Shitting Out

Post  T Miller Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:01 pm

Try a different port?
T Miller
T Miller
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  mountandog Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:02 pm

If there is no data on the watch that you need or want to upload, then do a hard reset. Then do a fresh pairing. That often fixes the problem.
mountandog
mountandog
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:03 pm

Use a clean pencil eraser and clean the contacts on the watch and cradle so it transfers data as well as electricity.

BTW, I've found that regularly deleting out old runs on my 305 greatly improves the upload process.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris M Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:03 pm

Try a hard reset:

1. hold down the mode button while powering on (two buttons, that's it). When your unit powers on you will be prompted as to whether you really want to perform the reset or not (be sure you do if you answer yes as you will lose your data).

2. another hard-reset but it can be hard to do, so you may want to try a few times if nothing happens. Press and hold mode and enter. Press power but do not hold it. Continue holding mode and enter for several seconds. If it works, the unit should power on and go through the initial settings wizard after you release the buttons. The screen should flicker after you press and release the power button and then you can release the other buttons
Chris M
Chris M
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:02 pm

Did you reboot your computer?

I did and crashed my 1 week old brand new HP laptop though. lol!
Jerry
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:30 pm

T Miller wrote:Try a different port?

Mark B wrote:Use a clean pencil eraser and clean the contacts on the watch and cradle so it transfers data as well as electricity.

BTW, I've found that regularly deleting out old runs on my 305 greatly improves the upload process.

Jerry wrote:Did you reboot your computer?

I did and crashed my 1 week old brand new HP laptop though. lol!

Done all of these.

Chris M wrote:Try a hard reset:

1. hold down the mode button while powering on (two buttons, that's it). When your unit powers on you will be prompted as to whether you really want to perform the reset or not (be sure you do if you answer yes as you will lose your data).

2. another hard-reset but it can be hard to do, so you may want to try a few times if nothing happens. Press and hold mode and enter. Press power but do not hold it. Continue holding mode and enter for several seconds. If it works, the unit should power on and go through the initial settings wizard after you release the buttons. The screen should flicker after you press and release the power button and then you can release the other buttons

Sigh. Guess it's only today's run that would be lost. I'll go ahead and do that. ...Nope, still nothing.
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  mul21 Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:33 pm

I just got a hardly used 405CX on Ebay for $73 including shipping. If you can't get Garmin to fix it cheap for you, that might be a route to go. Or I could possibly be persuaded to sell you my 305 for a fair price. Twisted Evil
mul21
mul21
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:48 pm

Sounds like it's time to call up Garmin and see if their tech support is still as fabulous as everyone says.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:22 pm

Do your USB ports work with other things (ie flash drive or mouse)?
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  mountandog Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:53 pm

generally speaking I like what computers and such bring to us - however I can't stand electronics 9 days out of 10. But then again, I wouldn't know you guys w/o it. Very Happy
mountandog
mountandog
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:24 pm

mountandog wrote:generally speaking I like what computers and such bring to us - however I can't stand electronics 9 days out of 10. But then again, I wouldn't know you guys w/o it. Very Happy

You know it!!
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  KBFitz Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:30 pm

Mike MacLellan wrote:Well... Can't say I'm happy about this. The device works fine. I have it plugged in to the computer, in its cradle, and it's charging; however, it won't upload anything. Says the device can't be found. I've uninstalled (completely) and reinstalled Garmin drivers as well as the Communicator plugin. Multiple times. To no avail. Thoughts?
Mike. Your issue is not well defined.
Have you been downloading data from it to this computer before now?
It could be the device, the USB cable [data pin gone bad], or the operating system.
1. Try it on another computer ... if it works, it's not the device or cable.
2. If it doesn't work on another computer, try another USB cable.
If 1. and 2. don't work, it's the device ... call Garmin.
You're welcome.
KBFitz
KBFitz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:40 pm

KBFitz wrote:
Mike MacLellan wrote:Well... Can't say I'm happy about this. The device works fine. I have it plugged in to the computer, in its cradle, and it's charging; however, it won't upload anything. Says the device can't be found. I've uninstalled (completely) and reinstalled Garmin drivers as well as the Communicator plugin. Multiple times. To no avail. Thoughts?
It could be the device, the USB cable [data pin gone bad], or the operating system.
You're welcome.

+1
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris M Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:19 am

mul21 wrote:I just got a hardly used 405CX on Ebay for $73 including shipping. If you can't get Garmin to fix it cheap for you, that might be a route to go. Or I could possibly be persuaded to sell you my 305 for a fair price. Twisted Evil

Yeah, who still uses a 205/305 when the 4-series and 6-series are available so cheaply?! Get that brick off your wrist and enter this decade...
Chris M
Chris M
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:31 pm

Didn't you gift a Garmin to Your GF? If you have tried everything above and it still didn't work, I say time to move in with her. lol!
Jerry
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:57 pm

Chris M wrote:
mul21 wrote:I just got a hardly used 405CX on Ebay for $73 including shipping. If you can't get Garmin to fix it cheap for you, that might be a route to go. Or I could possibly be persuaded to sell you my 305 for a fair price. Twisted Evil

Yeah, who still uses a 205/305 when the 4-series and 6-series are available so cheaply?! Get that brick off your wrist and enter this decade...

Hey now!!! I like the large quadrant display.
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris Coleman Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:32 pm

KBFitz wrote:Have you been downloading data from it to this computer before now?
What Kevin said, except there's one more thing to try: after resetting, create an activity - any activity - so that the FR305 actually has some information to transfer. That has worked for me.

I now use a FR310XT, but I wouldn't change the 305 unless you really have to. It may not look elegant, but except for acquisition time, I think it's a better running watch.
Chris Coleman
Chris Coleman
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:21 pm

How old is the 305? Mine (which was 6 yrs old) eventually wouldn't sync or charge and well, that was the end. (Sorry).
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:16 pm

KBFitz wrote:
You're welcome.

You're right, my description was in haste because I was a bit - am a bit - annoyed. The unit has been uploading until yesterday. It still charges when plugged in. It still records data. It just won't upload anything anymore. In fact, any program I try to upload with (Garmin Training Center, WKO+, Strava.com) will not recognize that it's plugged in; however, on my Printers&Devices, it shows that it's working fine. Which leads me to believe that something is corrupting the drivers. The unit wouldn't even charge if it was the cable/cradle, right?

I may be persuaded to buy it.

Chris M wrote:Yeah, who still uses a 205/305 when the 4-series and 6-series are available so cheaply?! Get that brick off your wrist and enter this decade...

Cyclists do. I have a cradle for it on my bike and it just snaps right into place.

Michele "1L" Keane wrote:How old is the 305? Mine (which was 6 yrs old) eventually wouldn't sync or charge and well, that was the end. (Sorry).

Um... I think it's about 3 years old now?
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  KBFitz Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:59 pm

Mike MacLellan wrote:
You're right, my description was in haste because I was a bit - am a bit - annoyed. The unit has been uploading until yesterday. It still charges when plugged in. It still records data. It just won't upload anything anymore. In fact, any program I try to upload with (Garmin Training Center, WKO+, Strava.com) will not recognize that it's plugged in; however, on my Printers&Devices, it shows that it's working fine. Which leads me to believe that something is corrupting the drivers. The unit wouldn't even charge if it was the cable/cradle, right?
Wrong. USB cables have two power lines [which charge and/or supply power to the device the USB device] and a data line that provides two-way communication with the device. This is why you should clean the contacts on your device and your cradle, then:
1. try another USB cable. If that doesn't work,
2. see if you can get it can communicate with another computer. If not,
3. try another cradle. If none of this works, call Garmin.
4. If you're lazy or have limited options, call Garmin ... they'll probably send you a cradle and cable gratis.
KBFitz
KBFitz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:11 pm

KBFitz wrote:
Mike MacLellan wrote:
Wrong. USB cables have two power lines [which charge and/or supply power to the device the USB device] and a data line that provides two-way communication with the device. This is why you should clean the contacts on your device and your cradle, then:
1. try another USB cable. If that doesn't work,
2. see if you can get it can communicate with another computer. If not,
3. try another cradle. If none of this works, call Garmin.
4. If you're lazy or have limited options, call Garmin ... they'll probably send you a cradle and cable gratis.

I don't have another cable with the same connection type (not the USB, the other one). Nor do I have another cable. Nor another computer. So I e-mailed Garmin. Thanks for clearing that power/data issue up.
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  wrichman Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:03 am

I have no advice b/c I'm technotarded. I just like that you used the term "shitting out" to describe the issue. I'll have to add this to my vocabulary.
wrichman
wrichman
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:18 am

wrichman wrote:I have no advice b/c I'm technotarded. I just like that you used the term "shitting out" to describe the issue. I'll have to add this to my vocabulary.

Approval
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:31 pm

Well, here's where it ends:

Dear Mike MacLellan,
Thank you for contacting Garmin International. I apologize but if this is the case then the device would need to be brought in for repair. How long have you had the device? If it has been over a year there could be a fee of 79.00 for the repair. Since emailing and faxing are not secure we would ask that you call in for the repair order. Please let us know.

Nope. Sorry, Garmin.
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next