365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Boston Race Report- FEAR NOT!

+9
Michele "1L" Keane
Martin VW
Paula Sue
carleenp
JohnP
ounce
nkrichards
Julie
fostever
13 posters

Go down

Boston Race Report- FEAR NOT! Empty Boston Race Report- FEAR NOT!

Post  fostever Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:00 pm

I was considering skipping Boston next year after feeling beat up from the course. After the tragic events unfolded later I told my wife this just got personal and I would run Boston next year to tell evil to get behind me and symbolically support the victims and their families. Steve
I received an email from coach Bill Leach our clubs' speed coach and thought I'd pass along his statement since I thought it was well said and represents my sentiments completely: "Running appears to have acquired a renewed meaning as a result of the tragic events yesterday in Boston. The renewal appears to include an opportunity to deliver an important responding statement to those who have symbolically and physically assaulted Running as well as the Runners and Spectators that were so viciously attacked yesterday. An examination of the apparent intention of this act of terror, whether to disrupt Running or our society, suggests that an appropriate response is to actively demonstrate that your way of life, in this case Running is not open to change - it is not negotiable. Please reclaim your right to Run by Running. And, while Running, that you also symbolically represent those who can no longer run because of their loss of life and limbs yesterday. I respectfully request that you join your fellow runners by renewing your commitment to Run and to Run and Run and Run! Do not allow those who committed these heinous acts to take away your freedom to Run from you and your Running community!"
fostever
fostever
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Boston Race Report- FEAR NOT! Empty Re: Boston Race Report- FEAR NOT!

Post  Julie Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:25 pm

I agree and good for you. I know I've said dozens of times how much running has done for me and it's a huge part of my life, not just the running but my great running friends I meet in the mornings who are really my closest local friends. If you can't run, walk. I walked this morning and it's not running but you gotta do what you can do and that's the closest I'm coming right now. Anyway, we continue to pray for Boston and all those affected and I'm praying for the family who lost their son. I wish no parents ever had to bury their child.
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:50 pm

I like your attitude! I've had really mixed feelings about running another marathon...even before yesterday's events. Maybe this is the motivation that I need to commit to another marathon and put my best effort into training...who knows maybe I can qualify for Boston...and if I don't I can support the sport and set a good example for my grandkids.
Thanks for posting!
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:59 pm

Nice.

We all have seen in the past few years how marathons and half marathons have grown and grown. It'll be interesting to see if the two explosions would have any effect on registrations or, more obviously, marathon/half marathon training programs, especially for the big races.

Some of the 2nd and 3rd tier races could see a boost in registration because some people won't tempt fate at a big marathon and because what statement could be made at a littler marathon by a terrorist.

Just my tired mind typing.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  JohnP Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:40 pm

I think it might be hard to get into Boston next year because so many people will want to run it, like your sentiment. You might need a BQ-5 time.
JohnP
JohnP
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  carleenp Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:48 pm

My first thought from all of this was that I want to work harder than ever to get to a BQ someday, because the people who did this cannot ever bring me down. I think they totally misjudged who they were dealing with by targeting marathoners. We are not a group to fold over in fear!
carleenp
carleenp
Regular
Regular

http://beautyandfashiontech.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Paula Sue Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:06 pm

After the concern and deep sadness passed, I was determined more than ever to bring myself back to the form that got me to Boston in years past. I'm still feeling it!
Paula Sue
Paula Sue
Poster
Poster

http://oceanbreeze-lake-erie.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Martin VW Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:50 pm

JohnP wrote:I think it might be hard to get into Boston next year because so many people will want to run it, like your sentiment. You might need a BQ-5 time.

I don't think I've seen any sort of announcement yet, but BAA may need to reserve spots for people that ran but didn't finish this year's race. If that happens, it will be harder still to get in, unlerss they expand the field as they did fort the 100th anniversary.
Martin VW
Martin VW
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:12 pm

Martin VW wrote:
JohnP wrote:I think it might be hard to get into Boston next year because so many people will want to run it, like your sentiment. You might need a BQ-5 time.

I don't think I've seen any sort of announcement yet, but BAA may need to reserve spots for people that ran but didn't finish this year's race. If that happens, it will be harder still to get in, unlerss they expand the field as they did fort the 100th anniversary.

Sadly, I would like that and take them up on the offer.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:11 pm

Michele "1L" Keane wrote:
Martin VW wrote:

Sadly, I would like that and take them up on the offer.

Maybe we will just bandit it, for you again. lol!
Jerry
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:58 pm

Those are some great words by your coach. Out of the darkness comes light...and some very motivated runners.
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Kubacki Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:18 am

Glad to see you want to come back. Nice words by your coach. Congrats on getting it done.
Alex Kubacki
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave P Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:03 am

I know I want a BQ for 2014 at the NJ Marathon on 5/5 more then ever!
Dave P
Dave P
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down