365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ice Age 50 Miler Race Report

+10
Chris M
Alex Kubacki
Kenny B.
Julie
fostever
Michele "1L" Keane
Sara Jane
Diego
amyjoann
wendy_miller
14 posters

Go down

Ice Age 50 Miler Race Report Empty Ice Age 50 Miler Race Report

Post  wendy_miller Fri May 17, 2013 2:14 pm

See link below!

http://www.runnerwendy.blogspot.com/
wendy_miller
wendy_miller

Back to top Go down

Ice Age 50 Miler Race Report Empty Re: Ice Age 50 Miler Race Report

Post  amyjoann Fri May 17, 2013 2:50 pm

Awesome job Wendy you are a beast! Great report too,I can totally relate about the hills my running partner and I were like is this a hill or not ? because they all seemed like hills which they were. Your husband also gets crew of the year award for keeping the kids occupied and crewing thats awesome.
amyjoann
amyjoann
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Diego Fri May 17, 2013 3:42 pm

Wendy,

I need a nap after reading that!! What an impressive, inspiring performance, and on your first 50 mile race!!! I didn't know that ice formed in hell. Very Happy Super job, too, Tim. I know what's it's like corraling two kids.

Congrats Wendy. Well done!

Perhaps you may need to experiment with S-caps and magnesium to help those muscle/abd. cramps and change up the food strategy a bit(chicken noodle or tomato soup + other foods instead of gels after mile XX?
Diego
Diego
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  wendy_miller Fri May 17, 2013 3:45 pm

Diego wrote:Wendy,

I need a nap after reading that!! What an impressive, inspiring performance, and on your first 50 mile race!!! I didn't know that ice formed in hell. Very Happy Super job, too, Tim. I know what's it's like corraling two kids.

Perhaps you may need to experiment with S-caps and magnesium to help those muscle/abd. cramps and change up the food strategy a bit(chicken noodle or tomato soup + other foods instead of gels after mile XX?

Thanks. And, yes, I have to switch up my nutrition. I was clearly depleted in something. I will use S caps when training for JFK, and think "real food" might be wise. The gels are, most assuredly, what gave me diarrhea, too. After so many of them, they didn't stop to be absorbed. Just went right on through Smile
wendy_miller
wendy_miller

Back to top Go down

Post  Sara Jane Fri May 17, 2013 4:47 pm

wendy_miller wrote:
Diego wrote:Wendy,

Thanks. And, yes, I have to switch up my nutrition. I was clearly depleted in something. I will use S caps when training for JFK, and think "real food" might be wise. The gels are, most assuredly, what gave me diarrhea, too. After so many of them, they didn't stop to be absorbed. Just went right on through Smile

She has also decided to cut out all splenda and aspartame. Since those are her two main food groups. Razz
Sara Jane
Sara Jane
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Fri May 17, 2013 4:53 pm

Congrats on an awesome race! I agree with Diego that you might need to experiment with some real food. I only have experience with one easy 50K, but I have worked the 24 hr race aid station here in Cleveland and most of the runners took real food - peanut butter sandwiches, ramen noodles and broth, pretzels, M&Ms, boiled potatoes - from pretty early on - like mile 20 or so. I guess you learn to be able to digest this type of nutrition. Not sure how you practice, but others, I am sure can tell you those tricks.

And SJ - splenda and aspartame withdrawals could be ugly.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  fostever Fri May 17, 2013 5:28 pm

You did everything but expire in that race. Hummmm, maybe I'll stick to 26.2. Impressive gutty performance, Wendy! way to break 9hrs.
fostever
fostever
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Fri May 17, 2013 5:57 pm

Awesome job! I was just telling a woman pregnant with her first babies (twins) that natural child birth was much harder than any marathon I've run. Now you found something that tied it?? Should I re-think JFK?
Awesome job. I hope you figure out the fueling/GI stuff for your next one. Great report, congrats!!!!

I never use gels any more but eat food even during a marathon and long runs during training, like pretzels and candy. I had choc. chip cookies during my last marathon and they settled great.
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. Sat May 18, 2013 12:47 pm

Tantalizing Tale of the Tally Woman!

Appreciate the details and nothing better than Gu diarrhea. To bad it just is not recycable.

Amazing job out there certainly you are an Ultra Queen not to be reckoned with.
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

http://www.365Competitors.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Kubacki Tue May 21, 2013 7:51 am

You definitely left it all out there. Awesome job. That's what it's all about. Congrats.

I too mistook Heed for water once in a race. Nasty stuff.
Alex Kubacki
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris M Tue May 21, 2013 10:33 am

Great performance but completely convincing to me as another reason I'll never go over the marathon distance. If you ever figure out fueling, let us all know because a lot of us struggle with that issue even on short distances like 26.2 and I can imagine it gets really tough in a race that long.
Chris M
Chris M
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave-O Tue May 21, 2013 11:08 am

Since I hadn't been on the boards much, I didn't realize you were running this. I logged on to check the results to see how my friend and coach Matt Flaherty did (4th, 6:10) and I saw your name on the leaderboard. Congrats! I'm with Chris in that the ultra-scene isn't for me, but your report was a great read. I'm sure the learning curve is steep -- which is a great sign for you and some improvements to be had.
Dave-O
Dave-O

http://www.fleetfeetchicago.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  KBFitz Wed May 22, 2013 10:16 pm

Hooah! Welcome to the club. Your performance showed a great deal of talent and grit. I was pleased to see no mention of the calf muscle syndrome that had hobbled you in the past few years. And to follow along as you once again experienced the joy of running ... even further through pain and exhaustion. It IS exhilarating, no? Keep us posted as you recover. I'm really looking forward to seeing you and Tim at the JFK 50 Mile in November.
KBFitz
KBFitz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  wrichman Tue May 28, 2013 11:23 pm

wait...one question. Did it hurt? Wink
Seriously though, awesome race and awesome result, Wendy! You killed it! Sad I couldn't have joined you out on the course this year. You will do very well at JFK!
wrichman
wrichman
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry Wed May 29, 2013 3:49 pm

Chris M wrote:Great performance but completely convincing to me as another reason I'll never go over the marathon distance. If you ever figure out fueling, let us all know because a lot of us struggle with that issue even on short distances like 26.2 and I can imagine it gets really tough in a race that long.

Haha, I don't need a different kind of pain.

Great job Wendy!
Jerry
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down