365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Steamboat Springs Marathon

+12
John Kilpatrick
Paula Sue
Julie
dot520
Alex Kubacki
fostever
amyjoann
Michael Enright
mountandog
RobA
Mark B
Michele "1L" Keane
16 posters

Go down

Steamboat Springs Marathon Empty Steamboat Springs Marathon

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:50 pm

Steamboat Springs Marathon

Point to point course starting at Hahn's Peak CO and running into Steamboat Springs. Net downhill overall, but the map is deceptive as there were probably more uphills. The downhills were just a bit more extreme.

Steamboat Springs Marathon Marath10

Finish: 4:21:46, 125th overall, 47th woman, 9th Masters woman, 3rd AG.

This was an excellent small race on a very beautiful and somewhat challenging course. Temps were excellent with it being around 45F at the start and then warming up into the 70s (but with no humidity) with a brilliant sun. The sun was warm and since I knew the water stops were far apart (every 3 miles), I carried my own water and Gatorade which was the right thing to do. Also, since I live at 900 ft and not 8200 ft, I knew that staying hydrated and not overdoing it were very important. I also drove the course on Saturday and a few of the climbs were short, but steep and in order to keep an even effort, I planned to walk up those that were steep.

It was difficult to hold back at the beginning, but I did and I did indeed walk up the steep climb that was around 3 miles. I also held back as best as I could on that long 2+ mile downhill as I knew that there were many more to come. I stopped at every water stop to fill my bottles and I crossed the half way mat at 2:08:41. The next half was tougher as the sun was beating down on us and as I tired, I could feel the altitude a bit more than at the beginning. Since I was not real concerned with time, I walked to take in a gel, and I walked again at an aid station after I filled my bottles because they were giving out these frozen electrolyte sticks. They were like frozen Gatorade and it was very welcome. I walked up more of the steeper climbs in the second half, but I really didn't lose that much time. I caught three other women and we worked with each other from miles 20-23 and that helped a lot. Unfortunately for them, but fortunately for me, they had run a bit harder in the first half than I did, and I lost them on the last downhill.

The last two miles were actually a gradual uphill into town. That deceptive kind of uphill that you would only notice because you are running up it after 24 miles in altitude and in the hot sun. It was tough, but I kept going. My only complaint in the last half mile was that suddenly the kids race merged into the marathon race and I had to actually stop for one kid and weave around a couple of others (I sent an email to the RD about changing this as it was nuts). I also had a women and kids almost run into me when they jumped off the sidewalk in front of me to hug the guy next to me and run him in. The competitive me was glad to beat him.

All in all, it was the best race that I had all season after Boston and Cleveland. I know that if I lived at altitude, I would definitely run this race again as I know that I could have easily broke 4 hrs.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Steamboat Springs Marathon Empty Re: Steamboat Springs Marathon

Post  Mark B Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:49 am

Wow! That is an amazing elevation profile, Michele. It looks more like a ski jump than a marathon course. Wink

And that hill at Mile 22-something would have to hurt something awful after all those miles flying downhill. Of course, your legs probably appreciated the change... Good job on the solid finish! I could see how, with some acclimatization, you could crack 4.

I bet the scenery was gorgeous.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:03 am

And here I am at the finish

Steamboat Springs Marathon Steamb10
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  RobA Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:14 pm

Great race Michele. I like the photo, those mountains behind look daunting ! I thought Boston was bad for feeling beat up due to downhill, that must have been tough. You have to be happy with that result. Good work, Rob Steamboat Springs Marathon 424776184
RobA
RobA

Back to top Go down

Post  mountandog Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:17 am

Great place for a race. Those short uphills look brutal. Glad you enjoyed yourself.
mountandog
mountandog
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:46 am

Wow, great job on a challenging course - you are getting it done!
Michael Enright
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  amyjoann Mon Jun 10, 2013 1:32 pm

Holy hill workout woman! You look great finishing Very Happy my quads hurt a little for you looking at that chart,wouldn't a flat race feel like cake now?
amyjoann
amyjoann
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  fostever Mon Jun 10, 2013 3:43 pm

What a great venue, ouch though! Nice finish, Michelle!
fostever
fostever
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Kubacki Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:12 am

Great job once again. You definitely deserve the break in Italy.
Alex Kubacki
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  dot520 Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:54 pm

You certainly don't look beat up at the finish and I can see some of the kids in the background!  Not a good place for them at all. Sheesh!
With elevations like that you really would need to be there a week or so early to acclimate, I would imagine.  I've heard good things about this race before and it sounds like a good one to do for a change of pace....literally.
dot520
dot520
Top 10 Poster Emeritus
Top 10 Poster Emeritus

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:01 pm

Congratulations! I've heard that was a good marathon. I can't imagine running in the elevation but great work.
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Fri Jun 14, 2013 3:34 am

I went out on Friday and ran on Sunday. I didn't feel the altitude as much as I feared but I also went in with the attitude that I would take my time and have fun. The women u caught were all at the half 6-8 min before me
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Paula Sue Thu Jun 27, 2013 3:53 pm

Good golly, Missy...look at those quads popping plumb out of your legs What a Face  One heck of a run!  Hey, congratulations on that AG place and doing well in Masters and Overall.
Paula Sue
Paula Sue
Poster
Poster

http://oceanbreeze-lake-erie.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  John Kilpatrick Wed Jul 03, 2013 4:14 pm

That is a scary-looking course for a flatlander - I've always wondered what running at elevation would feel like.  I adjusted fairly well when elk hunting at 10-12K feet a few years ago, but that was walking and not running.  Going from ~100' to 8,000 feet would be a huge change!

John Kilpatrick
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris Coleman Fri Jul 05, 2013 1:59 pm

I love Steamboat, but I think I'll stick to skiing there. Really good run though, especially in the rarified air. I can imagine what the quads must have felt like.
Chris Coleman
Chris Coleman
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:35 am

For a second I thought it was Steamtown.  You did great for a that type of race and you look "sharp" at the finish line in orange!
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

http://www.365Competitors.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Seth Harrison Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:25 pm

Sorry to be getting to this so late Michele. Despite all that downhill running (or maybe because of it), this does not look like an easy course at all. Good job handling it so smartly. (You look good in that singlet!)
Seth Harrison
Seth Harrison
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  JohnP Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:36 pm

Very nice job, Michele! That's quite an elevation profile and you ran it well. I also didn't see this earlier for some reason.
JohnP
JohnP
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down