365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Caffeine and hydration

+8
mul21
JohnP
Jerry
Nick Morris
Mike MacLellan
Dave-O
Bob
Tom H
12 posters

Go down

Caffeine and hydration Empty Caffeine and hydration

Post  Tom H Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:56 pm

Being one of the habitual consumers of Diet Coke on these forums, I've gotten feedback that caffeinated beverages really don't serve you well as they are diuretics. However, Googling "caffeine hydration" turns up quite a few hits that clearly state that there is really not a difference in hydration effects between caffeinated vs. Non-caffeinated beverages - at least for those who are regular consumers of caffeine. Has Jerry been right all this time?
Tom H
Tom H
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Caffeine and hydration Empty Re: Caffeine and hydration

Post  Bob Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:05 am

I have the same habit of drinking way too much diet pop. Just yesterday, I had over 80 ounces of it throughout the day. I wouldn't say I have this much everyday, but on average, 44 ounces.

I will say that it can occasionally bother my stomach if I have too much. When I'm preparing for a marathon, I will lay off it for a few days prior.

Now hopefully, GregC will chime in on this. I know he's one that will also have his 44 ouncer the morning of any race he does.
Bob
Bob
Lord Bobby
Lord Bobby

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave-O Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:54 pm

Nancy Clarke posted on Hal's board that for a habitual caffeine drinker, there is no additional diurectic effect between 1 cup and 5 cups of coffee.
Dave-O
Dave-O

http://www.fleetfeetchicago.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:32 pm

What Dave said. Personally, I feel the effects from booze a lot more than coffee. And I drink coffee pre/post run every day as well as a drink or two almost every night with/after dinner.
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

https://www.facebook.com/mike.a.maclellan

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:36 pm

Caffeine has an affect on those who are not habitual caffeine drinkers. Otherwise, it doesn't really come into play that much.
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:38 pm

I am quite different, thus my experience doesn't help. But since my name is mentioned:

I actually reduce my diet coke intake in the last week of marathon. I also stop drinking anything after last dinner, typically before 6:00pm.
Jerry
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  JohnP Thu Jun 23, 2011 4:54 pm

Is the actual question being addressed?

diuretic [ˌdaɪjʊˈrɛtɪk] adj (Medicine / Pathology) acting to increase the flow of urine

n (Medicine / Pharmacology) a drug or agent that increases the flow of urine

I think any caffeinated drink, no matter how much you drink regularly, is a diuretic. I think some of the responses are addressing the slight dehydration effect that caffeine might have?
JohnP
JohnP
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  mul21 Thu Jun 23, 2011 5:03 pm

Tom, I wasn't referencing what you're drinking during the day, just suggesting you choose something non-caffeinated for re-hydration after you run. I drink boatloads of diet Mt. Dew, but I'm used to it. I also make sure I'm drinking water/G2 in the afternoon if I'm running that night to make sure hydration isn't an issue.
mul21
mul21
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  healdgator Thu Jun 23, 2011 5:17 pm

44 oz? I wish I only drank 44 oz. On an average day, I probably drink 8-10 diet cokes. I'm trying to mix G2 in there to cutback. So far, I'm up to 1.
healdgator
healdgator
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Randy E Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:16 pm

I have 64 ounces of coffee most mornings and have not noticed any negative effects.
Randy E
Randy E
Poster
Poster

http://www.eggefinancial.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:22 pm

Randy E wrote:I have 64 ounces of coffee most mornings and have not noticed any negative effects.

Man Randy you drink a lot of coffee! Do you have to visit the bathroom often? I don't drink that much and the stuff just goes right through me!
Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Randy E Fri Jun 24, 2011 7:25 am

I do not have to go as much as you would think. The funny thing is, one day I realized that 64 ounces is actually 8 eight ounce glasses of fluid first thing in the morning. A decent amount to start the day. Heck the daily recommended water consumption is 8 glasses per day for most people. I would bet that I consume at least an additional 64 ounces for well over 130 ounces of fluids per day.

I even drink that coffee before races. It really helps me eliminate pre race.
Randy E
Randy E
Poster
Poster

http://www.eggefinancial.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Diego Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:46 am

Tom H wrote:Being one of the habitual consumers of Diet Coke on these forums, I've gotten feedback that caffeinated beverages really don't serve you well as they are diuretics. However, Googling "caffeine hydration" turns up quite a few hits that clearly state that there is really not a difference in hydration effects between caffeinated vs. Non-caffeinated beverages - at least for those who are regular consumers of caffeine. Has Jerry been right all this time?

That is correct!
Diego
Diego
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave-O Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:00 am

JohnP wrote:Is the actual question being addressed?

diuretic [ˌdaɪjʊˈrɛtɪk] adj (Medicine / Pathology) acting to increase the flow of urine

n (Medicine / Pharmacology) a drug or agent that increases the flow of urine

I think any caffeinated drink, no matter how much you drink regularly, is a diuretic. I think some of the responses are addressing the slight dehydration effect that caffeine might have?

John, Nancy Clark has stated on Hal's boards the the diurectic effect comes as the result of your first cup of coffee, and that there is no increased urination caused by cups 2 through 5.

She's the expert, so I'm just paraphrasing her advice.
Dave-O
Dave-O

http://www.fleetfeetchicago.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down