365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Race in between a long run

+6
Dave P
carleenp
Jerry
Michele "1L" Keane
Mike MacLellan
ounce
10 posters

Go down

Race in between a long run Empty Race in between a long run

Post  ounce Mon Oct 14, 2013 2:52 pm

I have read where some of y'all will schedule a few miles before and/or after a race in order to complete a long run distance you have in mind for a day.

I have a Half race coming up and I think I'd like to make it a 17 mile long run by bookending 2 miles coming and going.  I'll park my car a couple of miles away, then warm up, race, and cool down.  I plan on racing the race in order to see how my training is going for Houston in January.

My question is:  At what pace do I warm up for 2 miles?  I figure the pace coming back after the race would be any pace I consider prudent for the race I run.

Thanks for your time.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Race in between a long run Empty Re: Race in between a long run

Post  Mike MacLellan Mon Oct 14, 2013 3:20 pm

Just enough to get the blood flowing and feel warmed up.  I think a 2mi warm-up for a half is appropriate even if it's not an intentional "long run."
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

https://www.facebook.com/mike.a.maclellan

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Mon Oct 14, 2013 4:34 pm

Mike MacLellan wrote:Just enough to get the blood flowing and feel warmed up.  I think a 2mi warm-up for a half is appropriate even if it's not an intentional "long run."
+1

Then run the last 2 at whatever pace feels comfortable.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:38 pm

2-4 miles warm up plus some strides

I know it helps to jog post race, but never did. After all, I am a lazy person.
Jerry
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  carleenp Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:57 pm

I walked and then ran a few miles after my half this past weekend in order to run in with a friend who was running the marathon (I walked out to around mile 24 and ran back with her).  I thought it was going to be rough since I all out raced the half, but I rather liked it. I would do that again and maybe do a mile or two warm up if I needed to make it longer.
carleenp
carleenp
Regular
Regular

http://beautyandfashiontech.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave P Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:39 pm

Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:
Mike MacLellan wrote:Just enough to get the blood flowing and feel warmed up.  I think a 2mi warm-up for a half is appropriate even if it's not an intentional "long run."
+1

Then run the last 2 at whatever pace feels comfortable.
I'll second that.
Dave P
Dave P
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  JohnP Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:47 pm

If you are going to race the half, you will not be up to running 2 miles afterwards. better to do 4 miles before very easy and then finish your day with the race.
JohnP
JohnP
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Penelope Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:07 pm

JohnP wrote:If you are going to race the half, you will not be up to running 2 miles afterwards. better to do 4 miles before very easy and then finish your day with the race.
Agree.  When you cross that finish line, you want to be done.
I have actually done that one time with the race in between, and doing a few miles after the race was very difficult in terms of motivation.  You're tired anyway, you just raced and your emotions are everywhere, everyone else is chilling at the finish, and you have to do more miles (often while holding your medal unless you have someone to give it to).  You just won't want to run and it'll be this huge guilt trip, and either you'll give into temptation and skip the miles, or your self-discipline will win but it'll be some awful post-race miles.
Penelope
Penelope
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  mul21 Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:17 pm

2 miles before and after sounds like a good plan to me.  While John and Kathy are right that you may not feel like running 2 miles afterwards, it would be a good idea to do a cool down since that will typically help reduce soreness a bit in the ensuing days.
mul21
mul21
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:05 pm

The cool down, in my understanding, will no be immediate after the race, unless one does not go all out in the race. I would hang around, change shirt and shoes etc, which would take 15-30 minutes, then go out for a jog.

Then again, I am lazy.
Jerry
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Tue Oct 15, 2013 3:34 am

Thank y'all very much for the replies.  My definition of 'racing' it is to be able to take the, hopefully, good time and plug it into McMillan as a present indicator of what I might be able to do in January.

I have a 25K before Thanksgiving and a 30K on December 8, which are the other two races as part of the Warm-Up Series for the Houston Marathon in January.

And if the weather is acceptable, I'll park my car 2 miles away, so I'll have to either walk or recovery run back to it.  thanks again.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  wrichman Wed Oct 16, 2013 5:53 pm

Yup - I call it a race sandwich. In this case, a half marathon sandwich:

a few years ago I wanted to get in a 20, but also race a half, so I ran 3.5 to a half marathon, raced the half and set a 4 min PR, then jogged the 3.5 home. worked for me. I may have been able to do the half a tiny bit quicker, but oh well.
wrichman
wrichman
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down