365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Time to Pace Others

+26
Michael Enright
Peg Coover
Dave P
KBFitz
Chris M
Mrs. Schuey
Tom H
Mark B
Alex Kubacki
jon c
mul21
JohnP
charles.moman
Neil Ruggiero
Penelope
GregC
fostever
Kenny B.
Michele "1L" Keane
Julie
Nick Morris
healdgator
Seth Harrison
Schuey
John Kilpatrick
Jim Lentz
30 posters

Page 12 of 14 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13, 14  Next

Go down

Time to Pace Others - Page 12 Empty Re: Time to Pace Others

Post  John Kilpatrick Tue Sep 20, 2011 2:05 pm

That is a really cool thing you are doing, Jim. Big responsibility. There will probably be someone in that group that is fighting with everything they have to stay at that pace and may be a life-changing time for them! I would love to be in the position to one day do the same thing.

John Kilpatrick
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Tue Sep 20, 2011 2:26 pm

You'll be a great pace leader. Are you do the Lakefront 50/50 for your 50 miler?
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. Tue Sep 20, 2011 2:59 pm

Nice job on being a pacer. It will feel good when you bring a bunch of people over the line!
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

http://www.365Competitors.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim Lentz Tue Sep 20, 2011 4:21 pm

John Kilpatrick wrote:That is a really cool thing you are doing, Jim. Big responsibility. There will probably be someone in that group that is fighting with everything they have to stay at that pace and may be a life-changing time for them! I would love to be in the position to one day do the same thing.
You are absolutely right, John. I remember being on the other side of the pace team.

Julie wrote:You'll be a great pace leader. Are you do the Lakefront 50/50 for your 50 miler?
Thanks Julie. I am doing the Lakefront 50/50 miler this year.

Kenny B. wrote:Nice job on being a pacer. It will feel good when you bring a bunch of people over the line!
Thanks Kenny, I am looking forward to helping people with a 3:45 marathon goal.
Jim Lentz
Jim Lentz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Kubacki Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:38 am

That's great that you're definitely doing the pacing. I'm sure you'll find it rewarding when you take so many to their goal.
Alex Kubacki
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim Lentz Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:57 am

Alex Kubacki wrote:That's great that you're definitely doing the pacing. I'm sure you'll find it rewarding when you take so many to their goal.

Thanks Alex, I am looking forward to it.

This morning I ran 9 easy miles just a bit faster than the 8:36 pace required for a 3:45 marathon.
Jim Lentz
Jim Lentz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim Lentz Fri Sep 23, 2011 2:28 pm

I took yesterday off, as planned. I got a new pair of Nike Free 3.0 v3 yesterday and had to try them today. I may use them for Chicago. I planned 8 at around a 8:36 pace (3:45 marathon pace) and felt good and decided to speed up a bit for mile 6. I ran mile 6 entirely by HR as I wanted to see what I might do if I were actually racing Chicago. I did that mile in 7:32, which is faster than I expected.
Jim Lentz
Jim Lentz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  fostever Fri Sep 23, 2011 5:25 pm

Good to hear you'll be a Pacer this year, good ones are hard to find. I may do it in the future. Maybe 3:30 or 3:45. I will definitely be using the 3:10 guys this year to help keep me consistent.
fostever
fostever
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Seth Harrison Fri Sep 23, 2011 5:32 pm

Chris M wrote:
??? why wouldn't it? I thought that if you ran anything after mid-September 2011 (meaning right now on) it can be used as a BQ for Boston 2013. So Philly this year (November race) is a BQ race for Boston 2013. Isn't that right? Surely they have not taken away Marine Corps (October), NYC and Philly (November) as BQ races. We know they can't be used for 2012 but I would be stunned to learn that the rules say you can't use a time from those races for a 2013 BQ.

I'll be running Philly with goal of recapturing the BQ Jim. If you're still thinking about it for the fall, Philly is Nov. 20th, just about the last of the fall marathons (at least the fast courses in the northeast). Depending on how Kenny does in Hartford, he may also run Philly. It'd be really cool if you decided to do it also.
Seth Harrison
Seth Harrison
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim Lentz Fri Sep 23, 2011 5:56 pm

fostever wrote:Good to hear you'll be a Pacer this year, good ones are hard to find. I may do it in the future. Maybe 3:30 or 3:45. I will definitely be using the 3:10 guys this year to help keep me consistent.
The pace teams for Chicago are typically very good. I did have a bad experience with a Chicago team once in 6 years.

Seth Harrison wrote:
Chris M wrote:
??? why wouldn't it? I thought that if you ran anything after mid-September 2011 (meaning right now on) it can be used as a BQ for Boston 2013. So Philly this year (November race) is a BQ race for Boston 2013. Isn't that right? Surely they have not taken away Marine Corps (October), NYC and Philly (November) as BQ races. We know they can't be used for 2012 but I would be stunned to learn that the rules say you can't use a time from those races for a 2013 BQ.

I'll be running Philly with goal of recapturing the BQ Jim. If you're still thinking about it for the fall, Philly is Nov. 20th, just about the last of the fall marathons (at least the fast courses in the northeast). Depending on how Kenny does in Hartford, he may also run Philly. It'd be really cool if you decided to do it also.
Seth, I really wish I could make it. It would be cool to be in a race that you and Kenny are doing. Unfortunately with me working part-time it would be too expensive to do. I also have the 50 mile race a week later that wouldn't go well after Philly.
Jim Lentz
Jim Lentz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim Lentz Sat Sep 24, 2011 12:25 pm

Today was 12 miles with a fast finish. With the cool weather we easily averaged 8:30. I had to stop for a bathroom break at 3.5 miles and told the group I would catch them. I ran mile 4 at faster than a 7:00 mm pace and caught them around mile 5.5.
Jim Lentz
Jim Lentz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  mul21 Sat Sep 24, 2011 1:53 pm

I've paced a few times now Jim and it's a blast. I think the half is more fun because you have a better chance of getting more people to the finish where they want to be and it just sucks to see people struggle in the last few miles of the marathon and have your group dwindle. At any rate, I'm sure you'll do a great job and have a good time doing it!
mul21
mul21
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim Lentz Sun Sep 25, 2011 8:19 pm

mul21 wrote:I've paced a few times now Jim and it's a blast. I think the half is more fun because you have a better chance of getting more people to the finish where they want to be and it just sucks to see people struggle in the last few miles of the marathon and have your group dwindle. At any rate, I'm sure you'll do a great job and have a good time doing it!

I hadn't thought about it that way, but your point about the half makes sense. It would be nice if everyone could hit their goal, but as you said some won't in the marathon.

I purchased the Garmin 610 to replace my 405 that doesn't hold a charge for more than 3 1/2 hours. I like it so far and paid $285 without the HRM, and no taxes and with free shipping.
Jim Lentz
Jim Lentz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim Lentz Mon Sep 26, 2011 12:27 pm

Today I did 6 easy miles at Caldwell Woods. It rained lightly the first half of my run and then cleared up nicely.
Jim Lentz
Jim Lentz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Seth Harrison Mon Sep 26, 2011 12:50 pm

Jim Lentz wrote:

I purchased the Garmin 610 to replace my 405 that doesn't hold a charge for more than 3 1/2 hours. I like it so far and paid $285 without the HRM, and no taxes and with free shipping.

That's the cheapest I've seen the 610 selling for. Where'd you order it from?
Seth Harrison
Seth Harrison
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim Lentz Mon Sep 26, 2011 4:16 pm

Seth Harrison wrote:
Jim Lentz wrote:

That's the cheapest I've seen the 610 selling for. Where'd you order it from?

Seth, I got it on eBay from a seller with 100% feedback and at the time they had more than 10 of them. I went back on eBay and don't see that listed, so I assume they sold out at that price. It was shipped USPS and I received it in just 2 days. This is the ad I purchased it from. They do have 8 new red 305s with HRM for $135 with free shipping.
Jim Lentz
Jim Lentz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Kubacki Mon Sep 26, 2011 5:54 pm

Jim what's your strategy for the pacing? A small negative split or even throughout? What about water stations, do you run or walk through them and do you speed up going into them?
Alex Kubacki
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim Lentz Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:40 pm

Alex Kubacki wrote:Jim what's your strategy for the pacing? A small negative split or even throughout? What about water stations, do you run or walk through them and do you speed up going into them?
Alex, Even pacing is what I am planning on. We will run through the water stations and will try to keep an even pace even through the water stations. There will likely be a temporary slow down due to the traffic at the water stations which will have to be compensated for gradually.
Jim Lentz
Jim Lentz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim Lentz Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:03 pm

Today was an easy 4 mile run. I was able to get in the run without getting too wet.
Jim Lentz
Jim Lentz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  JohnP Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:08 pm

Jim Lentz wrote:
Alex Kubacki wrote:Jim what's your strategy for the pacing? A small negative split or even throughout? What about water stations, do you run or walk through them and do you speed up going into them?
Alex, Even pacing is what I am planning on. We will run through the water stations and will try to keep an even pace even through the water stations. There will likely be a temporary slow down due to the traffic at the water stations which will have to be compensated for gradually.

I have to be honest, this is the biggest gripe I have with pacing groups. ALmost all run through the water stops and have one person go get water for all, or the pacers bring water. The problem for people running with the pace group is they don't have that luxury. So we have to split off, get water, then pick up speed to catch up to the group. I know it's certainly not your fault but thought I would mention it!
JohnP
JohnP
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim Lentz Tue Sep 27, 2011 2:54 pm

JohnP wrote:
Jim Lentz wrote:

I have to be honest, this is the biggest gripe I have with pacing groups. ALmost all run through the water stops and have one person go get water for all, or the pacers bring water. The problem for people running with the pace group is they don't have that luxury. So we have to split off, get water, then pick up speed to catch up to the group. I know it's certainly not your fault but thought I would mention it!

John, thanks for the insight. When I have followed a pace team I have never stopped for water/Gatorade, but know some people prefer that. Tonight we have a pace team get together and I will discuss the issue with the team. There will be 3 of us pacing 3:45 out of corral C. I won't bring my own water and unless it is hot will personally get fluids at every other water/Gatorade station.
Jim Lentz
Jim Lentz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Tue Sep 27, 2011 5:31 pm

When I ran with a pace team we planned on the water stop miles being a little slower and then a little faster the following mile.
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim Lentz Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:01 pm

Julie wrote:When I ran with a pace team we planned on the water stop miles being a little slower and then a little faster the following mile.

Thanks for the input, Julie. Your timing is great as I am just about to head out the door for the pace team get-together.
Jim Lentz
Jim Lentz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim Lentz Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:44 pm

I emailed the pace team captain and his plan for water/Gatorade is to stop around 5 seconds at each stop for either water or Gatorade and change fluids from one stop to another.

I ran 11 easy miles today with 2 of them being with the Back on My Feet group. From here on out I won't run any more double digit mileage until October 9th.
Jim Lentz
Jim Lentz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:03 pm

sounds like a good plan! I am eager to read all the race reports the next couple of weeks.
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 12 of 14 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13, 14  Next