365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Time to Pace Others

+26
Michael Enright
Peg Coover
Dave P
KBFitz
Chris M
Mrs. Schuey
Tom H
Mark B
Alex Kubacki
jon c
mul21
JohnP
charles.moman
Neil Ruggiero
Penelope
GregC
fostever
Kenny B.
Michele "1L" Keane
Julie
Nick Morris
healdgator
Seth Harrison
Schuey
John Kilpatrick
Jim Lentz
30 posters

Page 13 of 14 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14  Next

Go down

Time to Pace Others - Page 13 Empty Re: Time to Pace Others

Post  jon c Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:09 pm

JohnP wrote:
Jim Lentz wrote:
Alex Kubacki wrote:Jim what's your strategy for the pacing? A small negative split or even throughout? What about water stations, do you run or walk through them and do you speed up going into them?
Alex, Even pacing is what I am planning on. We will run through the water stations and will try to keep an even pace even through the water stations. There will likely be a temporary slow down due to the traffic at the water stations which will have to be compensated for gradually.

I have to be honest, this is the biggest gripe I have with pacing groups. ALmost all run through the water stops and have one person go get water for all, or the pacers bring water. The problem for people running with the pace group is they don't have that luxury. So we have to split off, get water, then pick up speed to catch up to the group. I know it's certainly not your fault but thought I would mention it!

That's interesting to hear. I have helped pace a four hour group twice and have been a follower of a 3:30 pace group two or three times and guess that I never saw pacers do that at least in those situations. I figure everyone, including the pacers, should be responsible for their own races. It really isn't that hard to stop and walk a few seconds to gulp down some water or fluid and then pick the pace up again. Since you generally have a mile or more to make up those ten or at most fifteen seconds it shouldn't be that hard especially if you are a pacer since you are running at what should be a non-stressful pace. A lot of pacing it seems to me is in encouraging the other runners and hopefully communicating the strategy before the race to the group which it sounds like Jim and his pacers do very well.
jon c
jon c
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim Lentz Thu Sep 29, 2011 1:31 pm

Julie wrote:sounds like a good plan! I am eager to read all the race reports the next couple of weeks.

It will be fun reading all of the race reports. Mine will likely be pretty boring by comparison. I ran mile 3 at 8:35...I ran mile 26 at 8:35 Sleep
Jim Lentz
Jim Lentz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim Lentz Thu Sep 29, 2011 1:34 pm

jon c wrote:
JohnP wrote:
Jim Lentz wrote:
Alex Kubacki wrote:Jim what's your strategy for the pacing? A small negative split or even throughout? What about water stations, do you run or walk through them and do you speed up going into them?
Alex, Even pacing is what I am planning on. We will run through the water stations and will try to keep an even pace even through the water stations. There will likely be a temporary slow down due to the traffic at the water stations which will have to be compensated for gradually.

I have to be honest, this is the biggest gripe I have with pacing groups. ALmost all run through the water stops and have one person go get water for all, or the pacers bring water. The problem for people running with the pace group is they don't have that luxury. So we have to split off, get water, then pick up speed to catch up to the group. I know it's certainly not your fault but thought I would mention it!

That's interesting to hear. I have helped pace a four hour group twice and have been a follower of a 3:30 pace group two or three times and guess that I never saw pacers do that at least in those situations. I figure everyone, including the pacers, should be responsible for their own races. It really isn't that hard to stop and walk a few seconds to gulp down some water or fluid and then pick the pace up again. Since you generally have a mile or more to make up those ten or at most fifteen seconds it shouldn't be that hard especially if you are a pacer since you are running at what should be a non-stressful pace. A lot of pacing it seems to me is in encouraging the other runners and hopefully communicating the strategy before the race to the group which it sounds like Jim and his pacers do very well.

Jon, you are right that a big part of the responsibility of a pacer is to encourage the runners within the group. I have seen pacers do that in multiple ways, including rallying the spectators to get loud. At the expo runners are encouraged to talk to pacers to find out what the pacing strategy will be. I was told that some runners at the expo will ask numerous interesting questions, such as, "Will you stop and wait for me if I need to use the porta-potty?".
Jim Lentz
Jim Lentz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  healdgator Thu Sep 29, 2011 2:18 pm

Are you naturally an even paced runner, Jim? Maybe it's too much time on the treadmill, but my pacing is never all that even, even if I am trying for it. To me, that would be the hardest part of pacing. That and the knowledge that a whole group is waiting for me to finish in the port o potty at mile 17.
healdgator
healdgator
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Kubacki Thu Sep 29, 2011 3:36 pm

When I look at my watch I am a horrible even pacer. But when I stop looking at it I end up with a lot of even paced miles. Of course when you're a pacer you have to look at your watch to make sure you're on track so I don't think I could do it.
Alex Kubacki
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Randy E Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:57 pm

Jim, speaking of questions, what happens if you the pacer has to use the bathroom (code brown) during the race? What would you do?
Randy E
Randy E
Poster
Poster

http://www.eggefinancial.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Fri Sep 30, 2011 5:51 am

I was in a group with 2 pacers and the one had to use the potty and she just ran hard to catch up with us when she was done.
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim Lentz Fri Sep 30, 2011 9:52 am

healdgator wrote:Are you naturally an even paced runner, Jim? Maybe it's too much time on the treadmill, but my pacing is never all that even, even if I am trying for it. To me, that would be the hardest part of pacing. That and the knowledge that a whole group is waiting for me to finish in the port o potty at mile 17.
I am pretty good at pacing, but have been practicing the 8:36 pace a lot recently. On Saturdays I train with a group where I lead them at a 9:00 pace, so I have had quite a bit of practice pacing. We have 3 people in our pace team, so one person having to stop wouldn't be a big issue.
Alex Kubacki wrote:When I look at my watch I am a horrible even pacer. But when I stop looking at it I end up with a lot of even paced miles. Of course when you're a pacer you have to look at your watch to make sure you're on track so I don't think I could do it.

I will be keeping a pretty good eye on the watch and we do have an experienced pace team captain. The first couple of miles I am sure we weill be working to get into the pace with the crowds. I don't think I am a naturally even paced runner, but the practice has helped me a lot.
Jim Lentz
Jim Lentz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim Lentz Fri Sep 30, 2011 9:56 am

Randy E wrote:Jim, speaking of questions, what happens if you the pacer has to use the bathroom (code brown) during the race? What would you do?
Randy, we were told to just go in our shorts, just kidding. We have a team of 3, actually one of the smaller teams, so if one person had to stop for any reason there would still be 2 of us left.
Julie wrote:I was in a group with 2 pacers and the one had to use the potty and she just ran hard to catch up with us when she was done.

That is what I would do, Julie. I wouldn't run too hard though. A couple of weeks ago this happened to me with the Clocktower Runners in my 9:00 pace group. I told them to go ahead and I would catch them. They must have sped up a little because even running at a 7:00 pace it took me almost 3 miles to catch them.
Jim Lentz
Jim Lentz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:57 am

I have read of people wearing Depends for some races. I wouldn't but I guess it works for some.

I agree with not running too hard. It's still a marathon you're running and you will probably be tired at the end even if it is a slower than normal pace for you.
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim Lentz Fri Sep 30, 2011 4:46 pm

Julie wrote:I have read of people wearing Depends for some races. I wouldn't but I guess it works for some.

I agree with not running too hard. It's still a marathon you're running and you will probably be tired at the end even if it is a slower than normal pace for you.

That reminds me too much of that crazy astronaut lady.

If I need to catch up I will just do it gradually, perhaps just sub-8:00 pace.

Today I ran 6 easy with 6x100 strides.
Jim Lentz
Jim Lentz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey Sat Oct 01, 2011 12:05 pm

Hey Jim I think that it is awesome that you are doing the pacing thing for this year's Chicago Marathon.

I'm really excited about doing it for Chris but at the some time I'm really nervous about. This will be the first time that I have every done this with such a big goal to meet.
Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim Lentz Sat Oct 01, 2011 9:06 pm

Schuey wrote:Hey Jim I think that it is awesome that you are doing the pacing thing for this year's Chicago Marathon.

I'm really excited about doing it for Chris but at the some time I'm really nervous about. This will be the first time that I have every done this with such a big goal to meet.

Thanks, Martin.

I think you will do well at it. You have an excellent sense of a steady pace.
Jim Lentz
Jim Lentz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim Lentz Sat Oct 01, 2011 9:13 pm

Today I paced our group to an easy 8 miles. I am going to miss pacing this group.
Jim Lentz
Jim Lentz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim Lentz Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:24 am

Today was an easy 4, so I ran in the neighborhood. I didn't make sense to drive to Caldwell Woods for 4 miles.
Jim Lentz
Jim Lentz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Kubacki Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:59 pm

Things are looking good Jim. Have a great time pacing everyone.
Alex Kubacki
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim Lentz Mon Oct 03, 2011 4:48 pm

Alex Kubacki wrote:Things are looking good Jim. Have a great time pacing everyone.

Thanks Alex. I hope the weather is cooler than forecasted.
Jim Lentz
Jim Lentz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim Lentz Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:12 am

Today was an easy 4 miles at Caldwell Woods, although I got carried away and ran mile 3 around 7:35.
Jim Lentz
Jim Lentz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:34 am

I hope you have a great experience out there this weekend. May all your pacing group achieve their goals!
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  healdgator Wed Oct 05, 2011 3:38 pm

Good luck, Jim. Pace well and have fun!
healdgator
healdgator
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry Wed Oct 05, 2011 5:45 pm

Guess you are the only one that doesn't whine about the weather. Razz

Good luck, Jim!
Jerry
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim Lentz Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:03 pm

Mark B wrote:I hope you have a great experience out there this weekend. May all your pacing group achieve their goals!

Thanks Mark. It would be great if I could guide the whole group to meeting their goals.

healdgator wrote:Good luck, Jim. Pace well and have fun!

Thanks, I am looking forward to it.

Jerry wrote:Guess you are the only one that doesn't whine about the weather. Razz

Good luck, Jim!
I am not worried about the weather for myself as much as people running with our pace team.

Thanks Jerry.
Jim Lentz
Jim Lentz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  jon c Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:25 am

Hope the pacing goes fantastically well this weekend Jim!
jon c
jon c
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim Lentz Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:13 am

jon c wrote:Hope the pacing goes fantastically well this weekend Jim!

Thanks Jon, I am looking forward to it.
Jim Lentz
Jim Lentz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Time to Pace Others - Page 13 Empty Too Fast...

Post  Jim Lentz Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:23 am

Today I did 3 miles a bit faster than MP, but it felt good. The pace for the pace team should feel relatively easy, which will be helpful if it gets as warm as some predictions are showing. My phone is showing 79 for Sunday's high and weather.com is showing 77.
Jim Lentz
Jim Lentz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 13 of 14 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14  Next