365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Philly on three weeks rest

+4
Jerry
Mark B
Michele "1L" Keane
Michael Enright
8 posters

Go down

Philly on three weeks rest Empty Philly on three weeks rest

Post  Michael Enright Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:52 am

I ran MCM three weeks ago, had a great time, but went out aggressively and tanked late in the race, bringing it in at 4:27. I was happy with that. But I'd signed up for Philly as a back up, and having run two in a compressed time frame last year (Clarence DeMar in NH and Hartford 13 days apart), I had a good feel for what it might be like to run Philly, too.

I pretty much had to decide whether to run Philly or not by this past Wednesday, because that was my last chance to cancel my (pricey) hotel room. The forecast looked good, I felt good, I'd done a reasonable, but not too strenuous, amount of training in the interim, and I figured what the heck.

I really enjoyed the race. Drove down Saturday, leaving my house just before noon. Packet pickup (a bit confusing, but ok) went fine, I got to the hotel by about 4:30 pm, which was full of marathoners, and the hotel folks were great about having directions ready to the start, giving all the runners late checkouts, etc.  Got some more food in me, watched college football and hit the rack early. Slept just ok, as usual for one of these on the road alone.

Got up at about 3:50 a.m., got ready and headed over to the trolley station at probably 4:50, where me and 50 other runners waited, got on the train and headed a few stops over. Then a walk for half a mile or so to the race start. Again, not sterling organization, but I found my way to everything and was in the chute happy and ready to go by about 6:20 or so, for the 7:00 am start.

I decided to try to run this one with even splits, something I've never come close to doing. I had the luxury of starting slow, because I knew with just a three week rest that I had little choice, and was perfectly happy to do that on this one, as I really had no other goal but to finish. Nice day. 50s at the start, cloudy. I decided I'd look at my watch for the first couple of mile splits, to make sure I wasn't going out too fast, and then just go by feel for the most part.

I like the course. It is too narrow in a few points, but that wasn't bothering me - helped me to rein in the pace a couple of times probably. I decided 10:00 or so was my pace, (my second one last year ended up at an average of almost exactly 10:00 per, so I modeled it after that - though that one was not close to being evenly paced, because I'd started it faster).  At the first split I was right on, maybe a few seconds slow. Perfect! I just banged along like that, feeling good, enjoying the sights more than usual, and feeling some crowd energy.

I kept going nice and easy through the half, which dumps off probably two thirds of the runners back at the start, and then another half as an out and back through some pretty areas, and some not so pretty. I enjoyed this stretch. As I headed out in that direction, most of the leaders were coming back in, so it was fun to watch them finishing, followed gradually by the larger mob. I felt good and just kept going by feel and felt like I was keeping the pace about right.

I felt good and kept thinking that I would not pick up the pace if I felt like I could until at least 20, probably even later. Good thing. Glad I stuck to it. Lots of crowd energy out at the turnaround, and I enjoyed that. Crowded, and some people starting to walk, slow down, etc., but I could pick my way through as needed and maintain, no problem. Then the pretty stretch back through from about 22 on. I just kept going. At 22 I picked it up just a bit, and held up nicely. I've never come close to feeling like I could maintain pace at that point before, so this was a really good feeling. And on I went. Lots of encouragement from the crowd as I passed lots of people walking and running in survival mode. My legs were telling me to quit, but my head and my heart were telling me to keep going, and I did. I did not get that feeling of real depletion until about the last 1.5, and by then, with the sun out and the temps in the mid-60s and the crowds really pumping it up, I just could not give in and walk or go any slower than was absolutely possible. I crossed the finish at 4:23:20, so an average of 10:03. Could not have run this any faster, did a slight negative split overall (split information below), and just had a wonderful time overall. They gave me a medal that is so big it makes me look like Flavor Fave when I wear it. I asked a cop how to get back to the trolley, walked over, got back to the hotel, took a quick shower, packed up and drove home (4 hour drive, with a stop for gas and a double whopper with cheese). I was home by 5:15 pm. Great weekend!
Philly on three weeks rest Philly10
Michael Enright
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Philly on three weeks rest Empty Re: Philly on three weeks rest

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:27 am

Congrats, Michael!   Nicely run - look at those splits!  I hear it is a good race and it must have been yesterday.

Must have been some good karma out there.  My friend that I am travelling to Tucson with lives in Philly and called to ask for some advice.  She signed up to run Philly as her last long run as she was going to drop out at 21 (she is local and her sister and daughter were at that water stop).  I told her that if it was a good day to go for it, and she did - her first sub-4 in a long time and a BQ.  Now we can both play in Tucson.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:04 am

Thanks Michele - it would have been a good day to go for it, indeed. Maybe a tad warm at the finish to be called ideal, but close! Congrats to your friend.
Michael Enright
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:12 am

Sounds like a great day for racing -- and some great race strategy on your part. Nicely done!
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:02 pm

Well run!
Jerry
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:41 pm

Thanks Mark and thanks Jerry!

It was a really nice run.
Michael Enright
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Mon Nov 18, 2013 2:31 pm

Congratulations Michael!!  Sounds like you had a great day.  Way to create a plan and stick to it.  It must be a good feeling to be able to finish two marathons this fall.  Especially after the knee issue.  Rest up...you deserve it Smile
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  amyjoann Mon Nov 18, 2013 6:17 pm

Congratulations on a great race excellent splits very consistent !
amyjoann
amyjoann
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Mon Nov 18, 2013 6:52 pm

Great job, Michael!  So, you going out to Arizona to pace Michele?  It's the next marathon in 3 weeks, after all.  Wink
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:49 pm

ounce wrote:Great job, Michael!  So, you going out to Arizona to pace Michele?  It's the next marathon in 3 weeks, after all.  Wink
I like your thinking!
Fortunately, even I am not that crazy!!
Michael Enright
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:49 pm

amyjoann wrote:Congratulations on a great race excellent splits very consistent !
Thanks, I enjoyed doing it that way, for a change!
Michael Enright
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:50 pm

Nick Morris wrote:Congratulations Michael!!  Sounds like you had a great day.  Way to create a plan and stick to it.  It must be a good feeling to be able to finish two marathons this fall.  Especially after the knee issue.  Rest up...you deserve it Smile
I need to rest up on my eating, too, or I am going to gain 15 lbs by eating at the same steady pace and not running! Thanks Nick!
Michael Enright
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Kubacki Fri Nov 22, 2013 1:57 pm

Great job Michael on short rest. 

Did you see there's going to be a full marathon at the XL Center in Hartford in December?  I'd like to do that at some point.
Alex Kubacki
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:41 pm

Alex Kubacki wrote:Great job Michael on short rest. 

Did you see there's going to be a full marathon at the XL Center in Hartford in December?  I'd like to do that at some point.
I had not seen that, so googled it. Looks like the Hartford date is Jan. 25, but there is an event by the same organizer in Worcester in December. See http://www.sneaa.org/arena-attack-race-series/

Wow, how many laps is that???
Michael Enright
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down