365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Orthotics, custom, off the shelf

+4
charles
momof5boys
Kenny B.
Pete B
8 posters

Go down

Orthotics, custom, off the shelf Empty Orthotics, custom, off the shelf

Post  Pete B Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:00 pm

I know at least two of us wear custom orthotics, I'm getting mine this afternoon.

For what reasons do people wear custom and/or off the shelf orthotics and what does one look for in an orthotic?

How dramatic is the difference in shoe fit?

What's the deal with the acclimation period?

Anything else to be aware of?
Pete B
Pete B
Poster
Poster

http://www.ahouseinthewoods.com

Back to top Go down

Orthotics, custom, off the shelf Empty Re: Orthotics, custom, off the shelf

Post  Kenny B. Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:47 pm

Pete B wrote:I know at least two of us wear custom orthotics, I'm getting mine this afternoon.

For what reasons do people wear custom and/or off the shelf orthotics and what does one look for in an orthotic?

I am 100% believer that anyone who "walks" let alone runs should get checked out by a highly trained sports podiatrist who specializes in orthodics (hard to find for many).

Shelf orthodics are simply not custom so your basically using something does not take into affect exactly how you land when walking or running. Difference between a custom made suite and one off the rack! (but even more sever )

Acclimation period for me took 2 days. Literally felt like a new person when I went from no orthodic to custom.

Be aware of custom orthodics not done properly. But this I am afraid is very hard to know. My Dr. spent 3 hours with me doing major tests, measurements, etc. If someone is taking 45 minutes only I'd say move on.
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

http://www.365Competitors.com

Back to top Go down

Post  momof5boys Fri Jun 24, 2011 1:52 pm

I have them also. I didn't take any time to "acclimate", but I'm sure the reasons would be b/c it might affect muscles differently until you get used to them. But, when I first got them, I got a blister in one place --adjusted the orthotic and it's been fine ever since. Because I will switch shoes, I just put them right in my shoes, I think a lot of people put them under the cushion part. Personal preference, I'm sure.
momof5boys
momof5boys

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. Fri Jun 24, 2011 2:24 pm

momof5boys wrote:I have them also. I didn't take any time to "acclimate", but I'm sure the reasons would be b/c it might affect muscles differently until you get used to them. But, when I first got them, I got a blister in one place --adjusted the orthotic and it's been fine ever since. Because I will switch shoes, I just put them right in my shoes, I think a lot of people put them under the cushion part. Personal preference, I'm sure.

I don't think anyone puts them under the cushion part! It is hard enough to find a shoe or running shoe to fit orthodic properly with foot comfortable inside. If you leave the insole in and put the orthodic on top you are defeating part of it's purpose and your fit would be quite tight in the shoe.
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  charles Fri Jun 24, 2011 3:28 pm

I have used custom orthotics in the past. I run with a podiatrist and he has made me at least three pair (for free).

I got my orthotics because I had chronic shin splint pain all the time. Once I got into the orthotic the pain went away.

How the orthotic fits in the shoe depends on the size of the orthotic. I have had three quarter orthotics. I now have full length "soft" orthotics. He has offered to make me small, graphite orthotics for my dress/work shoes. Take the insole out and put the orthotic in its place.

Acclimation for my first pair was almost immediate. Podiatrist said walk around in them for a while to get used to them. I think I started running immediately. It took about two weeks until I completely forgot they were in my shoes.

CAVEAT ==> I no longer use my orthotics. After about three or four years of running shin splint free I started getting a lot of knee pain. I had a lot of swelling on the knee which forced me to take some time off. When I came back I noticed that the ortotics were "torquing" my knee in a way I deemed unhealthy. I took the orthotics out and got into a Nike Free for a while and everything worked its self out. I had three good years of running until last February when I blew out my calf. Since coming back from the calf injury I have had Plantar Fasciitis in small bouts. I have put the orthotics back in a pair of older running shoes and walk around the house in them and that takes care of the PF. But I run without.
charles
charles
Poster
Poster

http://www.memphis-defense.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey Fri Jun 24, 2011 4:57 pm

Pete B wrote:I know at least two of us wear custom orthotics, I'm getting mine this afternoon.

I wear custom orthotics for a few reasons 1. I had a rock climbing fall that really screwed up my left ankle a few years back. Even though the electric stim and ultrasound has broken up almost all of the scar tissue my ankle still doesn't function like it did before the injury. It is really hard to explain this whole deal but it just isn't the same. 2. my left leg is truly shorter then my right, it is not a muscle in balance that happens to a lot of people. 3. Is that when I started running my doctor thought it would be a good idea with the mileage I was planning to run so she did them for me and I got lucky she did them for free. The only thing I have to do is pay to have them redone.

How dramatic is the difference in shoe fit? to be honest it really depends on the brand of shoe and also type of shoe. I find that my orthotics fit much more snug in my racing flats compared to my other shoes.

What's the deal with the acclimation period? The way I did was I walked in my for a day and then I started running in them by doing short 3 to 5 mile runs. Within a 2 week period I was doing everything in them. I think the main reason for acclimating to them is more for your body, muscles, ligaments, tendons, etc. to adapt to them. I look at it like starting running when you first stared you did just jump into running 16 to 20 mile runs you build up to them so you won't get injured, look at acclimating your orthotics in the same way.

Anything else to be aware of? yeah to be able to run in much more comfort. Also I would recommend taking them out of your shoes at night to air out.
Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Fri Jun 24, 2011 5:20 pm

I used to wear custom orthotics that were prescribe by a podiatrist when I was much younger. I have extra bone growth in both of my heals (which I guess is like 1 in every 2,000,000 people have or something insane like that). This extra bone growth caused my achilles tendon to become tight and my heals would become quite sore. The orthotics helped relieve some of that pressure. Luckily, I was able to stretch out my achilles through routine stretching and normal adolescent growth. Otherwise, I would have had to have surgery to relieve the pressure. I stopped wearing the orthotics when I was in high school and have not had any re-occurring issues since.
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Mitchell Fri Jun 24, 2011 7:49 pm

I wear them because I should have had braces as a kid. I have to adjust them ever 6 months and now it takes two or three adjustments to get them right. Sigh.
Michael Mitchell
Michael Mitchell
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

http://www.letsrun.com

Back to top Go down

Post  momof5boys Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:53 pm

Kenny B. wrote:
momof5boys wrote:I have them also. I didn't take any time to "acclimate", but I'm sure the reasons would be b/c it might affect muscles differently until you get used to them. But, when I first got them, I got a blister in one place --adjusted the orthotic and it's been fine ever since. Because I will switch shoes, I just put them right in my shoes, I think a lot of people put them under the cushion part. Personal preference, I'm sure.

I don't think anyone puts them under the cushion part! It is hard enough to find a shoe or running shoe to fit orthodic properly with foot comfortable inside. If you leave the insole in and put the orthodic on top you are defeating part of it's purpose and your fit would be quite tight in the shoe.

Perhaps I should clarify...my orthodics are the custom fit, hard, thin plastic ones. I've had them for quite awhile, with some tweeking over the years. They are designed to be worn with the cushioning of shoes -if you didn't, there would be no cushion. I realize that most orthodics are not made like that anymore, but apparently, enough people in this area have them b/c every time I buy new shoes, the sales person tells me that most people who have HARD orthodics wear them under the cushion part.
Kenny, no need to make me look like I have no idea what I'm talking about.
momof5boys
momof5boys

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. Sun Jun 26, 2011 10:12 am

momof5boys wrote:
Kenny B. wrote:

Perhaps I should clarify...my orthodics are the custom fit, hard, thin plastic ones. I've had them for quite awhile, with some tweeking over the years. They are designed to be worn with the cushioning of shoes -if you didn't, there would be no cushion. I realize that most orthodics are not made like that anymore, but apparently, enough people in this area have them b/c every time I buy new shoes, the sales person tells me that most people who have HARD orthodics wear them under the cushion part.
Kenny, no need to make me look like I have no idea what I'm talking about.

Never my intention. Thanks for clarifying that their are "many" types of orthodics even ones that do go under the cushion. I was not sure myself as I did say "I don't think anyone puts them under the cushion..." sunny
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  healdgator Sun Jun 26, 2011 10:17 pm

Off the shelf due to some PF issues that came up during my last (and first) marathon training. Never a huge problem, but I didn't take a corticosteroid prior to my race just in case. After an involuntary period of about 6 months where I was lucky to get in one run a week, my PF seems to have gone. I'm on about week 5 of regular training so far. I'm hopeful that the use of the off the shelf insert from the beginning will mean no PF this time. I had never had a problem before.
healdgator
healdgator
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down