365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Type of Shoe with Orthotics?

+4
Schuey
mul21
Martin VW
sobele
8 posters

Go down

Type of Shoe with Orthotics? Empty Type of Shoe with Orthotics?

Post  sobele Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:49 am

I developed runners knee a few months ago and went to see a podiatrist. He provided me with custom orthotics which I started using a few weeks ago. Pain has definitely subsided which is great. I've been wearing a support shoe for years (GTS's) without orthotics. Being that I got orthotics my thought was I could move to a more neutral shoe since I was installing the support that I need. However, my podiatrist said to stay with the support shoe. When talking to Kenny (Mr. Baldo), his podiatrist told him to wear a neutral shoe with orthotics. I tend to agree with this train of thought but also don't want to re-injure myself.

So now, I have a tie regarding this question. I was hoping that perhaps I could get some feedback from those who may have the best experience in this area, YOU!

Any advice or past experience you could share to help me with this would be great.

Thanks so much in advance.

Evan

sobele
sobele

Back to top Go down

Type of Shoe with Orthotics? Empty Re: Type of Shoe with Orthotics?

Post  Martin VW Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:05 pm

If you have confidence in your podiatrist, why doubt his/her advice?

If you don't have confidence, why go to her/him at all?

IMO orthotics are overprescribed. But, if you do feel that you need them, and if the podiatrist took the type of shoe that you currently run in into account, then you should follow that recommendation. Mr. Baldo's podiatrist may have fitted him differently. Or perhaps Mr. Baldo is just looking for more neutrality in his universe. Wink

Last edited by Martin VW on Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Martin VW
Martin VW
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  mul21 Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:14 pm

He probably had the orthotics designed to be used with a support shoe since that's what I'm sure you told him you were wearing. As VW says, stick with what the professional has to say until you have an issue.
mul21
mul21
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Martin VW Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:27 pm

Anybody else notice the more-than-passing-resemblance between Evan/Sobele and Jim/Mul21?

I had to look twice, and that was before Jim posted.
Martin VW
Martin VW
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:45 pm

I would agree that you should be able to move to a natural shoe. The whole purpose of custom orthotics is to put your foot in much neutral foot strike. Another words they are suppose to correct the bad biomechanics of your foot strike. I have had custom orthotics for the last 7 years due to true shorter left leg then my right and also slightly low arches.

Before I had the orthotics was running in a support a shoe, I continued to run in the support shoe at first. The whole theory behind it was that my body would have to adjust to 1. the orthotics and 2. it was going to take some time for the whole process to help correct my short comings with my gait. After about 3 months I started to slowly rotate in neutral shoes with my support shoes. And over time I stop running in support shoes all together and now just run in a neutral shoe.

So your thinking is correct that you should be able to run in a neutral shoe, also with talking with my doctor and from what I'm aware of custom orthotics are not made for a shoe, they are made from the mold of your foot (so the only thing that is taken into account is your foot). Which by taking the mold the orthotics are customized then to correct your issues. Now if you were buying an orthotic over the counter then it would be an issue on what type of shoe you wore depending on the OTC orthotic. Since yours are custom and as you run and if the orthotic is done correctly it should correct your issues and give you a neutral foot strike and therefore should be able to run in neutral shoes.

Just my 2 cents but then again what do I know!
Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:50 pm

http://runningtimes.com/Article.aspx?ArticleID=11831&PageNum=1

Basic Orthotic Rule #1: The shoes that worked best for you pre-orthotic may very well still be a good call post-orthotic. When shoes can’t do it all biomechanically, orthotics are often called in to make that final tweak to reel your pronation into the neutral zone. So give your existing shoes a shot first.

Basic Orthotic Rule #2: If your new orthotics dictate going to another level of stability with your shoes, it will likely be a notch down in stability rather than up. Orthotics inherently increase stability. Add that bump to an increase in shoe stability, and you might end up with too much of a stable thing.

Basic Orthotic Rule #3: If neutral shoes are the call, those with a full platform of support under the orthotics are the best option. Most neutral shoes have midsole platforms that are cut away under the arch, ostensibly to enhance fit and minimize shoe weight. While that’s fine for the great majority of runners, the lack of a midfoot platform for the critical medial side of orthotics can be trouble. If you see the edge of your orthotic poking out beyond the side of the midsole wall, find a model with a broader base.

Basic Orthotic Rule #4: It’s possible to overpronate with orthotics if the shoe isn’t stable enough. Yep, your floppy feet and their rigid orthotics can roll in beyond the neutral zone en masse if the shoe doesn’t have the guts to handle the load. That’s why the rare pathological overpronators often need heavy-duty motion-control shoes to support their feet and their orthotics.

Basic Orthotic Rule #5: Just as shoes have to fit feet, they have to fit orthotics. It’s critical to make sure your orthotics fit snugly into the heel cup and that they lie flat inside the shoe. If the orthotics are out of line, you’re out of line.

Basic Orthotic Rule #6: Orthotics often squeak. It’s not the shoe’s fault, just a disagreement between the orthotic and the inside of the shoe. After you get tired of waking every dog in the neighborhood on your early morning workouts and then being kicked out of libraries later in the day, take a powder. That is, take the orthotics out of the shoes, sprinkle in a bit of foot or talcum powder, and then reinstall. Usually, the squeak ends after a half-dozen steps.

And finally, Basic Orthotic Rule #7: The doc trumps all. When the orthotic-prescribing health care pro dictates what kind of shoe works best, obey. Most docs leave it to the local Shoe Guy, but when they don’t, they usually have good reason.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:06 pm

I'm not going to disagree with Matt's post at all, just wanted to let you know that I have worn custom orthotics (actually several pair) for the last 25 yrs. I wear a neutral or performance neutral shoe that is just light enough to support the orthotic and I have for those last 25 yrs. Back in the day (when I was first prescribed), there were not as much distinction between shoes, so I had little of the choice you have now, but I did need to experiment some and still do.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:54 pm

Go get a second opinion. I know a good Doctor! lol.
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

http://www.365Competitors.com

Back to top Go down

Post  sobele Sat Jul 07, 2012 7:53 am

Thanks for everyones response. I appreciate it. Right now, I'm going to stick with what I got (support shoes) until it's time to buy new shoes. Then I'll flip a coin:) Thanks again....
sobele
sobele

Back to top Go down

Post  Erin Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:49 pm

I have always run in pretty severe stability shoes and continued that after getting custom orthodics. The combination always makes people at running stores crazy, but it's the only thing I have found that keeps me comfortable. If it's working for you - don't change it! I'm always sorry when I go back to neutral.
Erin
Erin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down