365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Disney Marathon 2014 race report....

+9
Jerry
JohnP
Mark B
ounce
carleenp
mountandog
Alex Kubacki
fostever
RobA
13 posters

Go down

Disney Marathon 2014 race report.... Empty Disney Marathon 2014 race report....

Post  RobA Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:54 pm

I entered this race more prepared than any other, training had gone well. Logistics at the start however made it the worst start to any race I've ever had. Race starts 5:35am. I stayed on Disney property for ease on race day. They want you to board a bus by 4am latest. 3:45am I'm at the bust stop, 4 buses simply pass by full already. 4:25am and people are frantically calling the hotel front desk. I finally board a bus at 4:27 and hit a huge line of traffic heading for the start line. I get off the bus at 5:13 am and estimate I am half a mile from bag check. From bag check to the start line is another full mile. I desperately need the bathroom (thankfully people let me jump the line). I check my bag, time check I have to cover this mile in 8.5 minutes or I will miss the start. I'm running around people, then somehow I drop half my gels and it's too dark to find them. They are now singing the national anthem. I get to corral A, show my bib and Mickey Mouse is already announcing "3-2-1 Go !" and the fireworks blaze. I rip off my garbage bag and I am already sweating and thirsty from running a mile and a half.
Here is how my race went :- 5 mile split 31:48 10 mile split 1:03:41 half split 1:23:58 and now the wheels start to fall off..... and I'm out of gels 20 mile split 2:09:47... around mile 22 in Disney's Hollywood studios you pass through a tunnel (costume dept.) my Garmin 610 crapped out, lost the satellite signal and never found it again. Enough is enough, I just ran with what I had left. Finish in 2:52:41 32 place overall and 4th in AG. Not the sub 2:50 I'd trained for but considering all, a new PR for me so I have to be happy with that.
After a week at Disney I go on a Bahamas cruise, then a Disney week long cruise and discover.....

Race report Disney's Castaway Key 5k.... Yep, RunDisney organise a 5k on their private island in the Bahamas. Probably about 400 participated. Very hot and humid. I placed myself at the start and just went for it. Never raced a 5k before, I treated it a "another treadmill tempo run".
I lead the race from the start, (never ever happened before) ran the 1st mile in 5:40 and the next 2 in around 5:58...... Yay, my first ever win in 17:38 !!!
I then boarded yet another cruise ship for a week and finished my vacation with another 2 weeks of nothing but beer, BBQ, sun, pool and running for a total of 5 weeks and 6 days of snow-dodging !!!
Yes I had a great time, yes I'm 10lbs heavier !!! Thanks for reading, RobA.

Last edited by RobA on Mon Feb 17, 2014 1:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
RobA
RobA

Back to top Go down

Disney Marathon 2014 race report.... Empty Re: Disney Marathon 2014 race report....

Post  fostever Mon Feb 17, 2014 1:44 pm

My wife and I did Disney last year and had a very similar experience getting to the start line only we stayed outside the park. It was a huge traffic mess until we got past the Epcot area entrance then we were flying. Really strange traffic management for sure. Anyway, congrats on the PR despite the logistics and the 5K win.
fostever
fostever
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Disney Marathon 2014 race report.... Empty Re: Disney Marathon 2014 race report....

Post  Alex Kubacki Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:14 pm

Tough dealing with that stress to get to the line. You got the PR and win in the 5K congrats. I'm sure many mentally bailed after dealing with that.
Alex Kubacki
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  mountandog Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:41 pm

nice run.  i hate those pre-race logistics.  congrats on the pr.
mountandog
mountandog
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  carleenp Mon Feb 17, 2014 4:01 pm

Nice race, despite the problems! Awesome with the 5k!!!!

When I ran Disney, we left our offsite area at around 3:15 am and got to the bag check at around 4:15 am. It made for long days (we ran Goofy, so we did it two days in a row). I think it would be a hard race to go all out at, but I imagine it is easier for the A corral. Once in the back there are so many people that there are traffic jams at times. I remember having to walk through the castle at the half because of congestion. Like your experience, my Garmin got pissed at me in the full too when running through that costume tunnel.

I'm planning on doing Dopey in 2015 and staying onsite. I'll remember your problems and get a super early bus! 

Oh, and cruising after a marathon?  Approval  cheers
carleenp
carleenp
Regular
Regular

http://beautyandfashiontech.com

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Mon Feb 17, 2014 5:31 pm

Great jobs on the races!  I guess Disney didn't comp anything for winning the 5K?

Reading about the troubles sure makes me not want to do Disney.

Again, nice job.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:30 am

Wow, that didn't quite sound like the Happiest Race Morning on Earth®️, did it? Considering the complications, you managed quite well. Congrats.

And winning your first 5K? Well, that's just fantastic. Congrats!  Very Happy 
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  JohnP Wed Feb 19, 2014 5:04 pm

Congratulations on a good race despite all the issues. Disney is definitely not a PR race. I did Goofy and while I didn't run them for fun, I knew it would not be an easy race logistically. They really make the runners bear the brunt of their desire to not have the marathon interfere with their park business by having you get up at 3:00 AM. So it's more of a fun run, I think.
JohnP
JohnP
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry Wed Feb 19, 2014 5:49 pm

Rob, So nice to still get a PR after all those difficulities. The 5k time is even more impressive with such quick recovery. The next marathon is going to be nothing but greater!
Jerry
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  John Kilpatrick Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:06 am

Rob,  you are a very talented runner and will nail some great times - this was one of them!  I know you wanted more, but that was an experience you will always remember I'm guessing haha!  You held it together remarkably well under the circumstances and a PB is nothing to shake a stick at - great crazy fast marathon and 5K - I'm, for one, impressed!!!!!

John Kilpatrick
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim Lentz Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:40 am

Cool!
Jim Lentz
Jim Lentz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  healdgator Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:00 pm

Nice PR but I hate that the Disney logistics screwed you out of a better time.

I ran it 2 years ago and I'm planning to do Goofy (tee hee hee) this year.  If anybody is planning to ever do Disney, stay at the Port Orleans and walk to the starting line.  It's all of about a quarter of a mile.  They don't want you to do it, but there were scores of people walking to the starting line when I did.    I'm booking the port orleans as soon as possible again this year.
healdgator
healdgator
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave P Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:56 pm

Congrats!!

I did Goofy in 2012 & stayed off-site. I timed getting there early enough so that I had no logistic issues. I plan on doing Dopey in 2015.
Dave P
Dave P
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down