365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Driving to Hopkinton

+4
fostever
Michele "1L" Keane
Jim Lentz
JohnP
8 posters

Go down

Driving to Hopkinton Empty Driving to Hopkinton

Post  JohnP Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:34 am

This year, we are staying in Foxboro, Mass, as my daughter lives close to there. So I expect to drive to the start in Hopkinton. Does anyone have experience doing this? My wife can drop me off at the shuttle so I can ride that to Athlete's Village. I'm just looking for experiences from anyone who has done this in the past.

Also, will it be feasible for her to park somewhere in town and be on the course during that first mile to see me?
JohnP
JohnP
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Driving to Hopkinton Empty Re: Driving to Hopkinton

Post  Jim Lentz Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:44 am

JohnP wrote:This year, we are staying in Foxboro, Mass, as my daughter lives close to there. So I expect to drive to the start in Hopkinton. Does anyone have experience doing this? My wife can drop me off at the shuttle so I can ride that to Athlete's Village. I'm just looking for experiences from anyone who has done this in the past.

Also, will it be feasible for her to park somewhere in town and be on the course during that first mile to see me?
I don't know if they will change it for this year, but be sure to be dropped off early. I was dropped off once and the traffic is very bad and they closed the road 1 car after we passed. Worst case they can drop you off maybe a mile from Athlete's Village.
Jim Lentz
Jim Lentz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:47 am

I have never driven from Foxboro, but it should be pretty easy as you are right off Interstate 495.  I assume that Carol can drop you off at the State Park in Hopkinton like years before, and you bus from there. I used to do it all the time when my Mom's cousin lived in Hopkinton (she has since passed on).   I know that Schuey and others usually do exactly that staying out in Framingham and such and I am assuming that the shuttle from Hopkinton State Park will still exist.  I'm betting on much more security than in the past so you will probably need to a lot more time than in the past.  Not sure anything is on the website, but if you happen to have the "passport" book that they sent out last year, the location of the park and shuttle are shown. 

Sorry that I won't be able to walk to the bus with you guys this year.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  JohnP Mon Mar 17, 2014 12:51 pm

Jim Lentz wrote:
I don't know if they will change it for this year, but be sure to be dropped off early. I was dropped off once and the traffic is very bad and they closed the road 1 car after we passed. Worst case they can drop you off maybe a mile from Athlete's Village.

Thanks Jim. I am in the last wave and don't think I even start till 11:30 so I'm torn between going early and waiting hours or trying to go later when the big rush is done.
JohnP
JohnP
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  JohnP Mon Mar 17, 2014 12:54 pm

Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:I have never driven from Foxboro, but it should be pretty easy as you are right off Interstate 495.  I assume that Carol can drop you off at the State Park in Hopkinton like years before, and you bus from there. I used to do it all the time when my Mom's cousin lived in Hopkinton (she has since passed on).   I know that Schuey and others usually do exactly that staying out in Framingham and such and I am assuming that the shuttle from Hopkinton State Park will still exist.  I'm betting on much more security than in the past so you will probably need to a lot more time than in the past.  Not sure anything is on the website, but if you happen to have the "passport" book that they sent out last year, the location of the park and shuttle are shown. 

Thanks Michele. I was looking at that shuttle from the State Park and hope that will work. I assume they keep it running even if the parking lot is full.

I will miss seeing you all in the morning at the buses and even riding the buses. Those were kind of worry-free and it was easy to concentrate on the scenery and thinking about the race. With this new plan, I'm sure I'll be more worried about getting there, not hitting roadblocks, and getting to the start on time.
JohnP
JohnP
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  fostever Mon Mar 17, 2014 1:04 pm

Works great from the State Park shuttle.
fostever
fostever
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry Fri Mar 21, 2014 2:55 pm

JohnP wrote:
Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:I have never driven from Foxboro, but it should be pretty easy as you are right off Interstate 495.  I assume that Carol can drop you off at the State Park in Hopkinton like years before, and you bus from there. I used to do it all the time when my Mom's cousin lived in Hopkinton (she has since passed on).   I know that Schuey and others usually do exactly that staying out in Framingham and such and I am assuming that the shuttle from Hopkinton State Park will still exist.  I'm betting on much more security than in the past so you will probably need to a lot more time than in the past.  Not sure anything is on the website, but if you happen to have the "passport" book that they sent out last year, the location of the park and shuttle are shown. 

Thanks Michele. I was looking at that shuttle from the State Park and hope that will work. I assume they keep it running even if the parking lot is full.

I will miss seeing you all in the morning at the buses and even riding the buses. Those were kind of worry-free and it was easy to concentrate on the scenery and thinking about the race. With this new plan, I'm sure I'll be more worried about getting there, not hitting roadblocks, and getting to the start on time.

What scenary? I napped during the ride last time.
Jerry
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey Sat Mar 22, 2014 6:03 pm

I've been driving to the state park the last 6 years and we stay out that way. It is so much easier, I sleep in 10 min drive to the state park, hop on a bus and spend about 45mins for the race to start.
Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Seth Harrison Wed Mar 26, 2014 4:43 pm

Schuey wrote:I've been driving to the state park the last 6 years and we stay out that way. It is so much easier, I sleep in 10 min drive to the state park, hop on a bus and spend about 45mins for the race to start.

Agreed, at my first Boston, I got a ride to Hopkinton State Park and took the shuttle bus. It was very easy, and frankly, a thousand times more comfortable than taking the bus, especially since it allowed me to sleep later. If you have the means, I highly recommend it! (movie reference anyone?)
Seth Harrison
Seth Harrison
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:32 pm

Seth Harrison wrote:
Schuey wrote:I've been driving to the state park the last 6 years and we stay out that way. It is so much easier, I sleep in 10 min drive to the state park, hop on a bus and spend about 45mins for the race to start.

Agreed, at my first Boston, I got a ride to Hopkinton State Park and took the shuttle bus. It was very easy, and frankly, a thousand times more comfortable than taking the bus, especially since it allowed me to sleep later. If you have the means, I highly recommend it! (movie reference anyone?)

DVD or theater?
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Seth Harrison Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:18 pm

ounce wrote:
Seth Harrison wrote:

DVD or theater?
In theater a bunch of years ago. The exact quote, "If you have the means, I highly recommend picking one up."
Seth Harrison
Seth Harrison
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:00 am

Hmmm, I never gave much though until now, so I may be able to ask my brother to drive me to Hopinkinton State Park from Winchester?

It's about 35 miles, 45 minutes drive according to google. How much extra do I need for the event?

Interesting...
Jerry
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:49 am

Seth Harrison wrote:
ounce wrote:
Seth Harrison wrote:

DVD or theater?
In theater a bunch of years ago. The exact quote, "If you have the means, I highly recommend picking one up."

I didn't like that movie.  I had two young kids at the time and I didn't put up with a smart ass in my house.  Much like Bart Simpson.  At that time, I loved The Simpsons, but didn't watch any of the episodes, until my son turned 10 years old.  Bart wasn't a character I wanted emulated.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down