365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Building A Better Bumblebee

+14
Tim C
Michele "1L" Keane
Penelope
Chris M
Julie
Dave P
Mike MacLellan
mul21
Dave Wolfe
Jim Lentz
dot520
Nick Morris
charles.moman
Schuey
18 posters

Page 28 of 40 Previous  1 ... 15 ... 27, 28, 29 ... 34 ... 40  Next

Go down

Building A Better Bumblebee - Page 28 Empty Re: Building A Better Bumblebee

Post  ounce Wed Oct 22, 2014 4:20 pm

Mark B wrote:A rainy day today, as Southwest Washington sits midstream in an "atmospheric river" that extends back beyond the International Date Line. Part of me wishes I was able to be splashing around in it (it's subtropical, so it's warm rain), but I know I need to hold off a day and let the core work and walking yesterday do its job.

Even so, I did what I call my "stress position" exercise today: Standing on one leg, with my knee locked, for as long as I can stand it. The first few minutes are fine, then the burning sets in. I feel it in my hips but more significantly in my feet as those intrinsic muscles strain to keep me upright.

I'm up to six minutes per side, with a bit of upper body motion (bending over reaching toward the floor) thrown in to make it harder. At some point, the PT told me, I ought to do it on a pillow, bosu or other unstable surface. Sounds like fun. Sorta.

Regardless, I can feel the difference already from the core work I've done so far (and the work on the calves). I feel stronger and more fluid as I walk. And when I squeeze the gluteus maximus when I'm doing a bridge? Holy cow. I can feel that whole big muscle starting to work; I've never felt that before, and it's quite a sensation. Imagine what it'd be like if I could actually use it while running!

So while it's unusual for me to spend so much time on strength-building work, I think I might finally be mature enough to get the most out of it. I'm trying to be methodical and consistent, hopeful that it'll pay off when I get back to running in earnest.

For some reason, it's good to know that you've never played grab ass with yourself. pale

Although, I don't know why I would need to know that.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:35 pm

ounce wrote:
Mark B wrote:A rainy day today, as Southwest Washington sits midstream in an "atmospheric river" that extends back beyond the International Date Line. Part of me wishes I was able to be splashing around in it (it's subtropical, so it's warm rain), but I know I need to hold off a day and let the core work and walking yesterday do its job.

Even so, I did what I call my "stress position" exercise today: Standing on one leg, with my knee locked, for as long as I can stand it. The first few minutes are fine, then the burning sets in. I feel it in my hips but more significantly in my feet as those intrinsic muscles strain to keep me upright.

I'm up to six minutes per side, with a bit of upper body motion (bending over reaching toward the floor) thrown in to make it harder. At some point, the PT told me, I ought to do it on a pillow, bosu or other unstable surface. Sounds like fun. Sorta.

Regardless, I can feel the difference already from the core work I've done so far (and the work on the calves). I feel stronger and more fluid as I walk. And when I squeeze the gluteus maximus when I'm doing a bridge? Holy cow. I can feel that whole big muscle starting to work; I've never felt that before, and it's quite a sensation. Imagine what it'd be like if I could actually use it while running!

So while it's unusual for me to spend so much time on strength-building work, I think I might finally be mature enough to get the most out of it. I'm trying to be methodical and consistent, hopeful that it'll pay off when I get back to running in earnest.

For some reason, it's good to know that you've never played grab ass with yourself. pale

Although, I don't know why I would need to know that.

Um... yeah. Suspect

Anyway, it is a weird thing, because I'm starting to believe that my gluteus maximus had never really learned how to activate and work like it was designed. Which makes sense, considering how utterly wimpy and inactive my gastrocnemius was before I started waking it up. I think the same thing is happening back there.

And yes, I know. It sounds totally crazy. But I think it's true.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:48 pm

When I get into a good lean (noted as 3rd gear), my upper hamstrings and glutes let me know they are there.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:25 pm

ounce wrote:When I get into a good lean (noted as 3rd gear), my upper hamstrings and glutes let me know they are there.

I bet.

The closest comparison I can come up with is starting off revving the engine on a Geo Metro and suddenly having it turn into a 427 V8.

Whirr-whirr-whirr-VAROOOOM!!

My brain can barely process it. It's thinking, "Where the heck did that come from?"
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:21 am

So, it seems like I need some sort of a plan... I don't have any races planned, though I'd like to get back to those next year, so my goal is to start rebuilding while learning how to use these new muscles I've been developing.

Now that I don't have to wait around for contractors, or stress out about the house, I should have more time and room in my body's stress tank to handle it.

Here's a very rough idea, pretty much off the top of my head:

Mon: Longer Run
Tue: Rest, with maybe a walk at work.
Wed: Short run (barefoot?)
Thu: Medium run
Fri: Medium+ run
Sat: Rest
Sun: Medium+ run

The short, medium, long classifications are for the future. I'll be sticking with 30 minutes at a low HR until that starts feeling good, then I'll go up to 45 minutes, etc. If all works well, short will end up being about 30 minutes, medium about 60 minutes, medium-long 90 minutes and long two hours and above. I don't expect I'll get to that point quickly.

I am hoping to get to the point to where I can meet up with my training partner on Sundays again. It's been too long.

That's more or less the pattern I used getting ready for Mount Hood. I'll just need to figure out the best days to do my strength work. It'd be easy to neglect them. I could try to make them a daily ritual, or pair them up with the shorter days? Hm.

I'm open to suggestions here...
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:15 am

Looks like a good plan, Mark.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Tom H Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:48 am

Mark, looks like a smart plan to me.  You've shown remarkable restrain thus far, and this looks like a logical step.
Tom H
Tom H
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:31 pm

Mark B wrote:
ounce wrote:When I get into a good lean (noted as 3rd gear), my upper hamstrings and glutes let me know they are there.

I bet.

The closest comparison I can come up with is starting off revving the engine on a Geo Metro and suddenly having it turn into a 427 V8.

My brain can barely process it. It's thinking, "Where the heck did that come from?"

I don't think anyone could withstand the torque.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:40 pm

I'd do weights on a barefoot day, if it includes weights on the legs.  I shy away from doing hard work on the legs (e.g. dead lifts, squats and thrusters) during the training cycle, but will do abductor/adductor work. 

Then work on core on 2 of the days, including a rest day as a possibility of doing core work.  Upper body and core are always fair game.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:43 pm

Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:Looks like a good plan, Mark.

Thanks, Michele. It seems pretty ambitious, considering how little I've been doing these past several months, but I should be able to get back into a routine now that the rest of my life is slightly less disrupted. (Boy, I hope I didn't just jinx it...)

Tom H wrote:Mark, looks like a smart plan to me.  You've shown remarkable restrain thus far, and this looks like a logical step.

Thanks, Tom. I really haven't had much choice but be restrained. A broken toe will do that to you...

ounce wrote:
Mark B wrote:

I bet.

I don't think anyone could withstand the torque.

I know, right? I almost feel giddy when the whole muscle starts to burn. I've never been able to sense it before.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:43 pm

Barefoot Run: About 30 minutes (2.42 miles)

Weather: Overcast, moist but not raining. 55 degrees. Gear: Bare feet

I opted for barefoot laps around the block this morning, taking advantage of the nice wet asphalt in the neighborhood. Everything felt slightly discombobulated, as expected, but not horribly so. I think it'll take a while to get everything going, so I have no choice but to be patient and let it happen.

I cheated slightly by not stopping my Garmin at exactly 30 minutes, so I don't have a perfect comparison with other "pure" 30-minute runs, but it's close enough for this point.

Walked first 5 and last slightly more than 5 minutes. Average HR for entire run: 127
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:27 pm

Not like I'm actually planning anything here, but I was curious to see what races were happening next year.

Holy cow. Look at them all!

March 28: Gorge Waterfalls 100K
March 29: Gorge Waterfalls 50K (lottery entry)
May 9: Smith Rock Ascent 50K, 15M, 4M (one I'd planned to do this year)
May 25: Trail Factor 50K (Forest Park, where I do a lot of training runs)
June 8: Beacon Rock 50K, 25K (did the 25K before)
July 11: Mount Hood 50 (revenge!)
July 25-26: Lake of Death Relay (12 or 24 hour relay/solo, roads or trails)
Sept. 5: Volcanic 50 (circumnavigating Mount St. Helens - what could be tougher/cooler?)
Sept. 26-27: Mountain Lakes 100 (Not this year, no way, no how. But eventually?)
Mid-October: Oregon Coast 50K, 30K (planned to do, but had to DNS)

And these are only the ones that look interesting and/or are relatively close. We have two big trail running outfits around (Rainshadow Running and GoBeyond Racing) kinda-sorta competing for racers' affections. The RDs and their volunteers are very cool, and all their races are good. Sort of an embarrassment of riches, running-wise.

I have an entry from Oregon Coast that I can transfer to a race that isn't sold out and doesn't have a lottery, so I have one paid for, at least. (Beacon Rock 50/25 or Oregon Coast 50/30, or the ain't-gonna-happen Columbia Gorge 100K).

But this is starting to sound too much like planning, and I'm starting to hyperventilate. So I think I'll leave it here for now. Smile
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Tom H Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:18 pm

Mark B wrote:
But this is starting to sound too much like planning, and I'm starting to hyperventilate. So I think I'll leave it here for now. Smile
Uh oh.  It is a slippery slope once you start identifying potential races.  For how many of them did you:

- Look at the race course map?
- Look at the elevation map?
- See what the entry fee would be?

It may be too late for an intervention.  Just choose one and sign up.
Tom H
Tom H
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:23 am

Tom H wrote:
Mark B wrote:
Uh oh.  It is a slippery slope once you start identifying potential races.  For how many of them did you:

None! Ha! There's hope for me yet.

Oh, wait. Does it count if I already looked at all those things earlier and pretty much knew them already? What a Face
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:00 am

Mark B wrote:
Tom H wrote:
Mark B wrote:

None! Ha! There's hope for me yet.

Oh, wait. Does it count if I already looked at all those things earlier and pretty much knew them already? What a Face

The last time he looked at races, he registered, then his precious wittle kitty cat initiated a house renovation, and finally, Mark broke his pinky toe.  Coincindence?  The Shadow knows. Muwahahahaha. StirPot
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:40 am

The 4 miler might be on my list - lol!
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:19 pm

ounce wrote:The last time he looked at races, he registered, then his precious wittle kitty cat initiated a house renovation, and finally, Mark broke his pinky toe.  Coincindence?  The Shadow knows. Muwahahahaha. StirPot

Not to rain all over your most excellent joke, Ounce, but there was actually a lot more that happened after I last picked races, remember? Death of an aunt and stepbrother, fairly extensive damage to my right peroneal tendon, two cancelled vacations, unexpectedly expensive automobile a/c repair, not-so-expensive-but-poorly-timed exploding serpentine belt, and then all the myriad aggravations, false starts and complications of the Fluffpacolypse and Contractorgate.

It turns out that a race was unnecessary to test my endurance in 2014. Life itself was more than enough.

So I'd say even thinking about planning for next year is an act of hope. Especially with Fluff on the loose.

Last edited by Mark B on Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:33 pm; edited 3 times in total
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:21 pm

Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:The 4 miler might be on my list - lol!

Oh, Michele. I bet you'd have a blast at many of these events. Sure, the race directors are gleefully sadistic when they plan their routes, but it's only to build the camaraderie of the participants and ensure that the post-race snacks seem extra tasty. Very Happy
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Fri Oct 24, 2014 2:16 pm

Cross training today.

Hips: 50 each on each side: modified clamshells, side leg lift, leg circles. Also, 60 bridges.
Calves: Total of 120 single-leg heel lifts, knee locked, of each leg in sets of 60, 40, 20.

I feel all nice and rubbery now. Smile
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Tom H Fri Oct 24, 2014 4:15 pm

This one:  Sept. 5: Volcanic 50 (circumnavigating Mount St. Helens - what could be tougher/cooler?)

Did you watch the video they link to on the website?  Ack - went back to find the link and now I can't!
Tom H
Tom H
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:25 pm

Tom H wrote:This one:  Sept. 5: Volcanic 50 (circumnavigating Mount St. Helens - what could be tougher/cooler?)

Did you watch the video they link to on the website?  Ack - went back to find the link and now I can't!

Hm. Let's see what I can find.

Here's one...

And another...

And a link to a Vimeo video that can't be embedded on this site.

Also, here's a story The Columbian wrote on trail running, with the Volcanic 50 as its focus. Our sports editor, the sort of guy who runs Boston every year, ran the Volcanic 50 and was thoroughly struck by how rugged and remote it was.

When I run it, I'll definitely be looking for more robust shoes than sandals. Smile

It's on my list of must-do runs eventually. Not sure whether it's a 2015 event or sometime later. It's awfully close to the Oregon Coast event, so I'd have to be in pretty amazing shape to be able to do them both. (Not that I'd be against it if somebody I knew was running the volcano, hint, hint.)
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Tom H Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:40 pm

Mark, videos are not showing up for me (on Ipad), not sure what's going on with that.  Too bad, if I saw them again I might be tempted Twisted Evil.  Or not tongue.  I'm so easily confused.
Tom H
Tom H
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Sat Oct 25, 2014 12:02 am

Tom H wrote:Mark, videos are not showing up for me (on Ipad), not sure what's going on with that.  Too bad, if I saw them again I might be tempted Twisted Evil.  Or not tongue.  I'm so easily confused.

Hm. That is weird. Do you have the YouTube app on your iPad? It should work.

At any rate, you may want to dry the direct approach:

https://youtu.be/7iqGi6yGFL8

https://youtu.be/ILlLTyUFm3M
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:11 am

Mark B wrote:

Oh, Michele. I bet you'd have a blast at many of these events. Sure, the race directors are gleefully sadistic when they plan their routes, but it's only to build the camaraderie of the participants and ensure that the post-race snacks seem extra tasty. Very Happy

I've hiked that 4 mile route at Smith Rock several times. Not sure I could actually run the hill as it's a tough one but the rest of the route is a nice level trail along the river that the grandkids love. We often ride the horses on the trails used by the longer Smith Rock routes and they would be tough but fantastic runs.

Mark if you ever do decide to do this I hope you let me know...we have a house that is half empty and Smith Rock is only 25 minutes away!

The Mt. St. Helens run would be awesome. I hiked a section of that trail with my daughter this summer and we have plans to go back to do another section next year. Photos just don't do it justice...

Not sure if we're supposed to be encouraging you to sign up for races or if we're supposed to be helping you keep your cool and rebuild slowly but it's sure fun to look at the options...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Sat Oct 25, 2014 1:52 pm

nkrichards wrote:
Mark B wrote:

I've hiked that 4 mile route at Smith Rock several times.  Not sure I could actually run the hill as it's a tough one but the rest of the route is a nice level trail along the river that the grandkids love.  We often ride the horses on the trails used by the longer Smith Rock routes and they would be tough but fantastic runs.  

Mark if you ever do decide to do this I hope you let me know...we have a house that is half empty and Smith Rock is only 25 minutes away!

The Mt. St. Helens run would be awesome.  I hiked a section of that trail with my daughter this summer and we have plans to go back to do another section next year.  Photos just don't do it justice...

Not sure if we're supposed to be encouraging you to sign up for races or if we're supposed to be helping you keep your cool and rebuild slowly but it's sure fun to look at the options...

I'm not sure, either, Nancy! But it is kind of fun. Smile

Thanks for the offer, BTW.

---

It's a rest day today. I capped off my day of cross-training yesterday with six minutes in my "stress position" - standing barefoot on one leg, knee locked for as long as I can take it. I'm allowed to use a wall or object to keep from tipping over, since the point of this is strength first and balance second. You'd think that'd make it easier, but all it does is ensure that the little muscles in your feet are screaming for minutes before you finally give up.

I made it for six minutes each side, though it was a lot more difficult doing it with fatigued leg muscles.

I'm confident this is helping, but zowie, what a sensation.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 28 of 40 Previous  1 ... 15 ... 27, 28, 29 ... 34 ... 40  Next