365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Weight Training...

+10
Dave Bussard
Alex Kubacki
Tom H
Jerry
Schuey
Natalie
Michele "1L" Keane
ounce
John Kilpatrick
Nick Morris
14 posters

Go down

Weight Training... Empty Weight Training...

Post  Nick Morris Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:48 pm

Do you do it? If so, what is your program. If not, why not??
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Weight Training... Empty Re: Weight Training...

Post  Nick Morris Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:54 pm

Personally, I weight train 3 days a week. Mondays are my recovery run days, so I only focus on upper body (chest, biceps, triceps, shoulders, and core). Tuesdays, I focus on the lower body (calf raises, lunges, kettle squats, adductors, and abbductors). And then Thursday I focus on both the upper and lower body. All of my lifting is low weight, high repetition. As I get closer to my marathon, the weight gets lighter and I normally only lift 1-2 days a week. The last week of my taper, I totally stop lifting, but still focus on core work.
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  John Kilpatrick Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:56 pm

I don't because I hate it. I mean, I absolutely despise it. That being said, I have a plan to incorporate it into training this fall, but I will have to force myself to do it. Right now, I feel I have my hands full with current training. Pretty pitiful I know, but I've never found a weight program that I enjoy. Strength comes painfully slow for me too, so it is sort of unrewarding....

John Kilpatrick
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:07 pm

This is the first year that I've gotten into a weight training program, CrossFit. It's a scaled weight training program, where I'm only lifting what I can handle. I'm doing upper body weights of around 65-75 pounds and next to me in the class is someone that's doing 150 pounds. I'm doing what I can. It's a great core producing program, too.

Now, come the Fall when I'm doing longer runs, I'll probably cut back from 3x/week. But I enjoy going to class at 5 a.m. and most times, I will have run 3-6 miles before going to class with no problems, unless there's some exercise requiring a lot of quad repetitions. Any marathoner on this board can be successful at CrossFit, because we have stamina the people who don't run just don't have. Honest.

Last edited by ounce on Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:09 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : add a core comment)
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:39 pm

Yes - I've done Crossfit and other classes, but my best success has been to work with a personal trainer. I know, that makes me spoiled, but for me - the monetary commitment has been well worth it. I find that I get injured when I'm not training i.e. travelling here and making the transition of the last month from the normal year to summer. I also have had women come up to me and tell me that they envy my arms - that's all the press I need. (And the fact that at 49.5 yrs - I can still proudly wear sleeveless tops.)
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Natalie Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:22 pm

I too workout with a trainer, twice a week. I don't lift heavy weights and I do a lot of "functional" fitness (core work, balance, kettle balls, etc). Like Michele, I like to wear sleeveless tops (and tight-fitting dresses, though Michele didn't say that). I'm surprised how many guys here don't lift weights. Hey, fellas -- we like it when you do! Embarassed
Natalie
Natalie
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:24 pm

Yes we weight train, I do it 3 to 4 times a week and Lisa 2 to 3. As for the program it is always changing. I'm good at mixing it up for Lisa and I so it is always fresh. We do everything from Squats to deadlifts to P90x to core stuff we do it all.
Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:35 pm

pushup and pullup, do they count? lol!
Jerry
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:39 pm

Jerry wrote:pushup and pullup, do they count? lol!

Sure for a normal person that doesn't weigh 80 pounds like you do Jerry! Wink
Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Tom H Thu Jun 30, 2011 12:06 am

Just getting into Pilates. Seems to be a good balance of building lean muscle (as opposed to bulking up as my previous personal trainer was pushing for) and flexibility. Still early but thus far I'm favorably impressed.
Tom H
Tom H
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:13 am

I have wanted to get into yoga to help increase flexibility and dextarity, but have not been able to fit it into my schedule. So I just stick with the weight training and running program.
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:17 am

Nick Morris wrote:I have wanted to get into yoga to help increase flexibility and dextarity, but have not been able to fit it into my schedule. So I just stick with the weight training and running program.

Yoga is great Nick you really should try to included it twice a week. Try doing it on the nights that you don't do weights. You can pick up some DVD's and do right at home. Not only is it good for what you mentioned above but it really is very good for breathing and relaxation.
Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Kubacki Thu Jun 30, 2011 7:20 am

Like John I despise doing it. But I'll do some upper body work about 3x a week and lower body about once a week. I'll do core work almost everyday. I just do low weights and higher reps.
Alex Kubacki
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave Bussard Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:30 am

No weight training, ever. But...my job feels like an entire day of cross-training, before I get to my workout! I do 60'ish crunches before bed most nights.
Dave Bussard
Dave Bussard
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Neil Ruggiero Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:56 am

Doing core training is obviously important for us runners. But doing leg strength training is super important. It increases both running efficiency, and fatigue resistance in the trained tissues. It made a huge difference for me when I was training for my ultra, and I know I'll be picking it back up again soon.
Neil Ruggiero
Neil Ruggiero
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:10 am

I am surprised to find out that many here do not include weight training in there marathon training. I feel that it is a very important component to training.
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  John Kilpatrick Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:28 am

As a caveat - I did weight train last summer, but did not train last fall/winter very much. It was my first marathon and I had just started running. This year it is my first medium-distance triathlon that I'm training for and I made the decision to focus entirely on cardio for just this training season. I recognize its importance and will drag my butt to do it again this fall. As for the big arm and chicks dig it thing, I guess I am one of the unlucky ones that have never been able to produce many results, even when I was young and in the service and did a lot more weight training Rolling Eyes ... I don't foresee a six-pack in my future, but I'm sure core strength makes a huge difference as well.

John Kilpatrick
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Thu Jun 30, 2011 11:04 am

I used to strength train my legs, until I ramped up my mileage and noticed that my quads were always tired. So I nixed lower body weights. Instead, I'll incorporate that kind of explosive strength training into my training via hills (long, steep ones) as well as ME intervals and sprints on the bike.

I still keep up a 2-3x/week upper body/core routine. Currently hitting biceps, triceps, chest, and shoulders with one isolated-muscle exercise (4 sets) followed by 2 combination exercises (2 sets) for each. So for triceps/chest, maybe seated dips (between two benches) and flys followed by bench press and bar dips. I really only do it for the reasons John stated: chicks dig it. One in particular, and we have a six-pack contest, so that keeps the motivation high.
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

https://www.facebook.com/mike.a.maclellan

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave-O Thu Jun 30, 2011 12:04 pm

Core training
Push ups
Pull ups
Very light weight training about 2 times per week.
Dave-O
Dave-O

http://www.fleetfeetchicago.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:01 pm

Core training - uppder body - 2x per week.

Sometimes core 3x
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

http://www.365Competitors.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down