365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Trails for Two

Page 23 of 26 Previous  1 ... 13 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Trails for Two

Post  nkrichards on Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:57 am

I'm impressed with clamshells with a green band...we use yellow in Pilates.  If those exercises don't get you into running shape nothing will. 

Sounds like you're seeing improvement even though you're still experiencing some knee pain.  I know they say that everything is connected and that pain in one area can be caused by an issue a long way away in the muscle/tendon chain. 

Fall has arrived in Central Oregon.  The smoke arrived with a vengeance on Sunday...one of the worst days we've had this summer but it's clear and nice now. 

Perfect weather to get back out there even if it's only for a lunch time walk...
avatar
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 1941
Points : 6734
Join date : 2011-07-27
Age : 59
Location : Sunny Central Oregon

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Trails for Two

Post  Mark B on Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:21 am

nkrichards wrote:I'm impressed with clamshells with a green band...we use yellow in Pilates.  If those exercises don't get you into running shape nothing will. 

Sounds like you're seeing improvement even though you're still experiencing some knee pain.  I know they say that everything is connected and that pain in one area can be caused by an issue a long way away in the muscle/tendon chain. 

Fall has arrived in Central Oregon.  The smoke arrived with a vengeance on Sunday...one of the worst days we've had this summer but it's clear and nice now. 

Perfect weather to get back out there even if it's only for a lunch time walk...

The smoke was bad here on Saturday, but it must have blown east as the weather systems started to move in on Sunday. I don't know if I have ever been so glad to see rain coming in as I have this week. The air smells so much better.

Probably no walking for me at lunch today, since I am getting the GREAT BIG NEEDLE OF RELIEF this morning. I don't actually know what is going to be in the syringe, but I am guessing it is Cortizone. I hope it works. I am not usually leery of needles, but something about having a large gauge needle driven blindly into a joint has me a little concerned. Shocked

I hope to also have a good conversation with the doctor about the MRI results and just how significant the damage is. That will help me better understand what I will and will not be able to do going forward.

_________________
If growing up meant it would be beneath my dignity to climb a tree, I won't grow up, won't grow up, never grow up, not me.
avatar
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Posts : 7184
Points : 15463
Join date : 2011-06-15
Age : 53
Location : Vancouver, Wash.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Trails for Two

Post  nkrichards on Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:10 pm

Mark B wrote:
nkrichards wrote:I'm impressed with clamshells with a green band...we use yellow in Pilates.  If those exercises don't get you into running shape nothing will. 

Sounds like you're seeing improvement even though you're still experiencing some knee pain.  I know they say that everything is connected and that pain in one area can be caused by an issue a long way away in the muscle/tendon chain. 

Fall has arrived in Central Oregon.  The smoke arrived with a vengeance on Sunday...one of the worst days we've had this summer but it's clear and nice now. 

Perfect weather to get back out there even if it's only for a lunch time walk...

The smoke was bad  here on Saturday, but it must have blown east as the weather systems started to move in on Sunday. I don't know if I have ever been so glad to see rain coming in as I have this week. The air smells so much better.

Probably no walking for me at lunch today, since I am getting the GREAT BIG NEEDLE OF RELIEF  this morning. I don't actually know what is going to be in the syringe, but I am guessing it is Cortizone. I hope it works. I am not usually leery of needles, but something about having a large gauge needle driven blindly into a joint has me a little concerned. Shocked

I hope to also have a good conversation with the doctor about the MRI results and just how significant the damage is. That will help me better understand what I will and will not be able to do going forward.


It is nice to be able to breathe again that's for sure!

Don't plan on doing much after your needle.  When they did my wrist I drove to the appointment and planned to drive back to my after school job.  Bad decision.  I had a stick shift and my wrist was so swollen and painful that it was a struggle to drive let alone work.  Of course that was years ago and technology has changed and everyone is different as well.

Hope it goes well and provides some relief.  And that the doctor gives you a positive prognosis for the future.
avatar
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 1941
Points : 6734
Join date : 2011-07-27
Age : 59
Location : Sunny Central Oregon

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Trails for Two

Post  Mark B on Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:19 pm

Well, that was interesting.

First things first: I did get the injection (and boy does it feel weird), but only after a long conversation with my doctor about the state of my knee, the state of the art for treating knees and the benefits and disadvantages of the different options. I really appreciated that he didn't just wave his hand and say "we're doing this" -- he gave me the information and let me decide.

That information included a radiologist-to-layman explanation of what my MRI did -- and did not -- show.

What it showed was *not* a serious, traumatic tear of the meniscus. If it was obvious, or severe, the radiologist would have said so.

Instead, it showed what could best be described as normal wear-and-tear on a 54-year-old knee of an active person. Yes, there's degeneration of the meniscus compared with a younger person's meniscus, and there may well be a little tearing. But not enough to do more than cause some inflammation and irritation. Which is pretty much my symptoms.

I asked how my knee was, comparatively speaking, and he said it's actually pretty good. The meniscus will continue to wear and I may be on the road to a knee replacement eventually unless they come up with some stem-cell therapy to restore menisci (and wouldn't that be amazing?). But what wear will occur NO MATTER WHAT I DO. Running isn't going to make it any worse than any other thing. He said obesity and inactivity is a much greater destroyer of knees and other joints than remaining fit and active.

He also said he sees no reason that my knee will limit my ability to remain active and out there for as long as I live. And that's nice to hear.

My choices were threefold: 1) do nothing and deal with the pain, which is just pain and NOT my knee being ground into dust; 2) get an injection to knock out the inflammation that's keeping my irritated knee from settling down; or 3) get surgery and have them try to resurface the meniscus and see if (after a long rehab) that helps more than the impact of losing material harms.

I was close to saying let's wait a while, but it's been a while with a very slow improvement curve. So I decided to do it.

The injection felt weird. It didn't hurt. But I could feel the fluid going into the knee. It included cortisone, and some lidocane, so my internal knee went numb and goofy right away. Totally normal. It's also normal for the knee to hurt more than normal over the next day or two. What I feel now is an odd fullness in there. And it's sore. After three to five days, the cortisone really starts having a impact.

He said it was IMPERATIVE that I not get all stupid and decide to go running right after everything feels great, because the cortisone temporarily weakens tendons and ligaments. He's had a patient exercise himself right into surgery after feeling reborn after an injection. I don't want to be that guy. So I'll behave myself.

As for the rest - the pain in the calf and hamstring - we're all starting to think those are compensating injuries as I was reacting to the knee discomfort. He suggested keeping at the exercises (not the weight bearing ones for a week or so, due to the knee weakness) and soft tissue work to keep working to clear that up.

All in all, a fairly encouraging visit.

_________________
If growing up meant it would be beneath my dignity to climb a tree, I won't grow up, won't grow up, never grow up, not me.
avatar
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Posts : 7184
Points : 15463
Join date : 2011-06-15
Age : 53
Location : Vancouver, Wash.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Trails for Two

Post  nkrichards on Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:49 am

Well, sounds like that was an educational as well as an encouraging experience.  I love it when a doctor takes the time to explain things and gives you enough information to help make decisions about your care rather than just recommending something.  It does make sense that your injury was the result of compensating and changing your gait because of knee pain.  Now lets get on with recovery and then back to running...
avatar
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 1941
Points : 6734
Join date : 2011-07-27
Age : 59
Location : Sunny Central Oregon

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Trails for Two

Post  Mark B on Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:25 pm

nkrichards wrote:Well, sounds like that was an educational as well as an encouraging experience.  I love it when a doctor takes the time to explain things and gives you enough information to help make decisions about your care rather than just recommending something.  It does make sense that your injury was the result of compensating and changing your gait because of knee pain.  Now lets get on with recovery and then back to running...

Yes, I'm liking this new doctor a lot. He listens. What a concept. He's a DO rather than an MD, too, which may or may not have something to do with it.

My goal is to resume the non weight-bearing PT work starting in the next day or so. Once they say it's okay to walk/run safely, I'll see how that goes. In the meantime, I'm experimenting digging in to the soft tissue in my leg (exquisitely painful) to see if I can break up some of the gristle that formed in there. One of these days, I think we're going to have to buy a foam roller... though I've been told a rolling pin would work, too. Suspect

_________________
If growing up meant it would be beneath my dignity to climb a tree, I won't grow up, won't grow up, never grow up, not me.
avatar
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Posts : 7184
Points : 15463
Join date : 2011-06-15
Age : 53
Location : Vancouver, Wash.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Trails for Two

Post  ounce on Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:10 pm

Yup, that's all sounding like the medical profession is finally helping.   I would've sent you a bottle of whiskey and a bullet to bite on, if I lived closer.

I'd go along with a rolling pin, as long as you're using it as if you're rolling out dough and not like a foam roller.  I've seen people us a 2 feet section of 4" PVC pipe, like a foam roller.

I guess this means you're retiring as a sherpa.  Pity.
avatar
ounce
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 4707
Points : 12961
Join date : 2011-06-26
Age : 60
Location : houston

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Trails for Two

Post  Mark B on Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:44 pm

ounce wrote:Yup, that's all sounding like the medical profession is finally helping.   I would've sent you a bottle of whiskey and a bullet to bite on, if I lived closer.

I'd go along with a rolling pin, as long as you're using it as if you're rolling out dough and not like a foam roller.  I've seen people us a 2 feet section of 4" PVC pipe, like a foam roller.

I guess this means you're retiring as a sherpa.  Pity.

I've been using a MAG light as a roller. Is steel too much? What a Face

I see no reason to believe that I can't keep running and Sherpa-ing for the foreseeable future. In fact, we are toying with trying the full 24-hour event next year.

_________________
If growing up meant it would be beneath my dignity to climb a tree, I won't grow up, won't grow up, never grow up, not me.
avatar
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Posts : 7184
Points : 15463
Join date : 2011-06-15
Age : 53
Location : Vancouver, Wash.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Trails for Two

Post  nkrichards on Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:14 pm

Mark B wrote:
ounce wrote:Yup, that's all sounding like the medical profession is finally helping.   I would've sent you a bottle of whiskey and a bullet to bite on, if I lived closer.

I'd go along with a rolling pin, as long as you're using it as if you're rolling out dough and not like a foam roller.  I've seen people us a 2 feet section of 4" PVC pipe, like a foam roller.

I guess this means you're retiring as a sherpa.  Pity.

I've been using a MAG light as a roller. Is steel too much? What a Face

I see no reason to believe that I can't keep running and Sherpa-ing for the foreseeable future. In fact, we are toying with trying the full 24-hour event next year.
+1 on the 24 hour event...you'll both be ready by then! Running

Concerning roller material...it's not the material that will get you it's the diameter!  Ouch on the MAG light and the rolling pin!!

**

Your PT efforts have motivated me to get back to doing my core/strength workout and I've added clamshells.  The only band I have at home is a red one...that's plenty!  Glad I don't have a green one at home.

Loving this fall weather...
avatar
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 1941
Points : 6734
Join date : 2011-07-27
Age : 59
Location : Sunny Central Oregon

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Trails for Two

Post  Mark B on Fri Sep 22, 2017 4:44 pm

nkrichards wrote:
Mark B wrote:
ounce wrote:Yup, that's all sounding like the medical profession is finally helping.   I would've sent you a bottle of whiskey and a bullet to bite on, if I lived closer.

I'd go along with a rolling pin, as long as you're using it as if you're rolling out dough and not like a foam roller.  I've seen people us a 2 feet section of 4" PVC pipe, like a foam roller.

I guess this means you're retiring as a sherpa.  Pity.

I've been using a MAG light as a roller. Is steel too much? What a Face

I see no reason to believe that I can't keep running and Sherpa-ing for the foreseeable future. In fact, we are toying with trying the full 24-hour event next year.
+1 on the 24 hour event...you'll both be ready by then! Running

Concerning roller material...it's not the material that will get you it's the diameter!  Ouch on the MAG light and the rolling pin!!

**

Your PT efforts have motivated me to get back to doing my core/strength workout and I've added clamshells.  The only band I have at home is a red one...that's plenty!  Glad I don't have a green one at home.

Loving this fall weather...

THE FALL WEATHER IS AWESOME. Perhaps Ounce may need to visit in the autumn someday to see what it's like...

I broke down and bought a roller that has all sorts of bumps and lumps on it, supposedly to better torture yourself. It'll arrive Saturday. Yay?

(Tried the rolling pin this morning. How can doing something so small make me start panting and break into a pain sweat? I expect to see a jagged bone protruding from my skin when I'm done.)

I'm on non-weight-bearing PT right now, so "all" I did was...

1) Clamshells, green band, 3 x 50 each side.
2) Prone leg lifts (works glute max), 3 x 50 each side.
3) Side leg lifts with pressure against surface to fire glute max, 3 x 50.

Alas, the green band is not causing as much burn as before. I may need to step up to silver, which is as much resistance as the offer. Either that, or I need to do a ridiculous number of reps.


_________________
If growing up meant it would be beneath my dignity to climb a tree, I won't grow up, won't grow up, never grow up, not me.
avatar
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Posts : 7184
Points : 15463
Join date : 2011-06-15
Age : 53
Location : Vancouver, Wash.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Trails for Two

Post  nkrichards on Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:51 pm

Mark B wrote:
nkrichards wrote:
Mark B wrote:
ounce wrote:Yup, that's all sounding like the medical profession is finally helping.   I would've sent you a bottle of whiskey and a bullet to bite on, if I lived closer.

I'd go along with a rolling pin, as long as you're using it as if you're rolling out dough and not like a foam roller.  I've seen people us a 2 feet section of 4" PVC pipe, like a foam roller.

I guess this means you're retiring as a sherpa.  Pity.

I've been using a MAG light as a roller. Is steel too much? What a Face

I see no reason to believe that I can't keep running and Sherpa-ing for the foreseeable future. In fact, we are toying with trying the full 24-hour event next year.
+1 on the 24 hour event...you'll both be ready by then! Running

Concerning roller material...it's not the material that will get you it's the diameter!  Ouch on the MAG light and the rolling pin!!

**

Your PT efforts have motivated me to get back to doing my core/strength workout and I've added clamshells.  The only band I have at home is a red one...that's plenty!  Glad I don't have a green one at home.

Loving this fall weather...

THE FALL WEATHER IS AWESOME. Perhaps Ounce may need to visit in the autumn someday to see what it's like...

I broke down and bought a roller that has all sorts of bumps and lumps on it, supposedly to better torture yourself. It'll arrive Saturday. Yay?

(Tried the rolling pin this morning. How can doing something so small make me start panting and break into a pain sweat? I expect to see a jagged bone protruding from my skin when I'm done.)

I'm on non-weight-bearing PT right now, so "all" I did was...

1) Clamshells, green band, 3 x 50 each side.
2) Prone leg lifts (works glute max), 3 x 50 each side.
3) Side leg lifts with pressure against surface to fire glute max, 3 x 50.

Alas, the green band is not causing as much burn as before. I may need to step up to silver, which is as much resistance as the offer. Either that, or I need to do a ridiculous number of reps.


Doug could visit anytime...the weather is always better in the Pacific Northwest than it is in Houston...well except for when we're being smoked out by forest fires I guess.

Not sure the roller is supposed to hurt that much. What a Face

Are you serious about stepping up to the silver band?  I can't believe that the green band isn't providing the resistance you need.  You must have really built up those muscles!
avatar
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 1941
Points : 6734
Join date : 2011-07-27
Age : 59
Location : Sunny Central Oregon

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Trails for Two

Post  Mark B on Sat Sep 23, 2017 4:47 pm

nkrichards wrote:
Mark B wrote:
nkrichards wrote:
Mark B wrote:
ounce wrote:Yup, that's all sounding like the medical profession is finally helping.   I would've sent you a bottle of whiskey and a bullet to bite on, if I lived closer.

I'd go along with a rolling pin, as long as you're using it as if you're rolling out dough and not like a foam roller.  I've seen people us a 2 feet section of 4" PVC pipe, like a foam roller.

I guess this means you're retiring as a sherpa.  Pity.

I've been using a MAG light as a roller. Is steel too much? What a Face

I see no reason to believe that I can't keep running and Sherpa-ing for the foreseeable future. In fact, we are toying with trying the full 24-hour event next year.
+1 on the 24 hour event...you'll both be ready by then! Running

Concerning roller material...it's not the material that will get you it's the diameter!  Ouch on the MAG light and the rolling pin!!

**

Your PT efforts have motivated me to get back to doing my core/strength workout and I've added clamshells.  The only band I have at home is a red one...that's plenty!  Glad I don't have a green one at home.

Loving this fall weather...

THE FALL WEATHER IS AWESOME. Perhaps Ounce may need to visit in the autumn someday to see what it's like...

I broke down and bought a roller that has all sorts of bumps and lumps on it, supposedly to better torture yourself. It'll arrive Saturday. Yay?

(Tried the rolling pin this morning. How can doing something so small make me start panting and break into a pain sweat? I expect to see a jagged bone protruding from my skin when I'm done.)

I'm on non-weight-bearing PT right now, so "all" I did was...

1) Clamshells, green band, 3 x 50 each side.
2) Prone leg lifts (works glute max), 3 x 50 each side.
3) Side leg lifts with pressure against surface to fire glute max, 3 x 50.

Alas, the green band is not causing as much burn as before. I may need to step up to silver, which is as much resistance as the offer. Either that, or I need to do a ridiculous number of reps.


Doug could visit anytime...the weather is always better in the Pacific Northwest than it is in Houston...well except for when we're being smoked out by forest fires I guess.

Not sure the roller is supposed to hurt that much. What a Face

Are you serious about stepping up to the silver band?  I can't believe that the green band isn't providing the resistance you need.  You must have really built up those muscles!

What is probably means is that I'm somehow recruiting other muscles.. though how, I have no idea. I may try the silver next time and report back. 

Meanwhile, this just showed up today...



Note the extra knobby sections, just to really dig in and get after stuff. affraid

_________________
If growing up meant it would be beneath my dignity to climb a tree, I won't grow up, won't grow up, never grow up, not me.
avatar
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Posts : 7184
Points : 15463
Join date : 2011-06-15
Age : 53
Location : Vancouver, Wash.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Trails for Two

Post  ounce on Sun Sep 24, 2017 2:24 pm

Mark B wrote:
nkrichards wrote:
Mark B wrote:
nkrichards wrote:
Mark B wrote:
ounce wrote:Yup, that's all sounding like the medical profession is finally helping.   I would've sent you a bottle of whiskey and a bullet to bite on, if I lived closer.

I'd go along with a rolling pin, as long as you're using it as if you're rolling out dough and not like a foam roller.  I've seen people us a 2 feet section of 4" PVC pipe, like a foam roller.

I guess this means you're retiring as a sherpa.  Pity.

I've been using a MAG light as a roller. Is steel too much? What a Face

I see no reason to believe that I can't keep running and Sherpa-ing for the foreseeable future. In fact, we are toying with trying the full 24-hour event next year.
+1 on the 24 hour event...you'll both be ready by then! Running

Concerning roller material...it's not the material that will get you it's the diameter!  Ouch on the MAG light and the rolling pin!!

**

Your PT efforts have motivated me to get back to doing my core/strength workout and I've added clamshells.  The only band I have at home is a red one...that's plenty!  Glad I don't have a green one at home.

Loving this fall weather...

THE FALL WEATHER IS AWESOME. Perhaps Ounce may need to visit in the autumn someday to see what it's like...

I broke down and bought a roller that has all sorts of bumps and lumps on it, supposedly to better torture yourself. It'll arrive Saturday. Yay?

(Tried the rolling pin this morning. How can doing something so small make me start panting and break into a pain sweat? I expect to see a jagged bone protruding from my skin when I'm done.)

I'm on non-weight-bearing PT right now, so "all" I did was...

1) Clamshells, green band, 3 x 50 each side.
2) Prone leg lifts (works glute max), 3 x 50 each side.
3) Side leg lifts with pressure against surface to fire glute max, 3 x 50.

Alas, the green band is not causing as much burn as before. I may need to step up to silver, which is as much resistance as the offer. Either that, or I need to do a ridiculous number of reps.


Doug could visit anytime...the weather is always better in the Pacific Northwest than it is in Houston...well except for when we're being smoked out by forest fires I guess.

Not sure the roller is supposed to hurt that much. What a Face

Are you serious about stepping up to the silver band?  I can't believe that the green band isn't providing the resistance you need.  You must have really built up those muscles!

What is probably means is that I'm somehow recruiting other muscles.. though how, I have no idea. I may try the silver next time and report back. 

Meanwhile, this just showed up today...



Note the extra knobby sections, just to really dig in and get after stuff. affraid
Seattle has a reputation for cloudy and rainy.  I believe we get enough of that during the year.  But I'm sure that further south it's much better than Seattle. 

Those lugs on your new toy should let you know how the ground feels when the lugs on a trail shoe steps on the dirt.

As far as your bands, you could double the one band up, if you'd be able to fit the 2 body parts through the littler hole.  Either way, it looks like fun!
avatar
ounce
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 4707
Points : 12961
Join date : 2011-06-26
Age : 60
Location : houston

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Trails for Two

Post  Mark B on Sun Sep 24, 2017 3:37 pm

ounce wrote:Seattle has a reputation for cloudy and rainy.  I believe we get enough of that during the year.  But I'm sure that further south it's much better than Seattle. 

Those lugs on your new toy should let you know how the ground feels when the lugs on a trail shoe steps on the dirt.

As far as your bands, you could double the one band up, if you'd be able to fit the 2 body parts through the littler hole.  Either way, it looks like fun!

Dont be so sure, Ounce. It gets pretty gloomy around here when February trudges in. But the summer is amazing.

Those lugs DO dig in, too. I could barely put any pressure on it when I first tried it. I think it's going to be a process. 

Did my limited PT today (still can't be weight-bearing), so I switched to silver. I still got in the same number of reps, but I sure did feel it.

1) Clamshells 3x50 each side with silver band. (oof!)
2) Prone leg lifts, 3x50 each side. (I hate this one exercise more than any other.)
3) Side leg lifts, with pressure against sofa to fire glute max. 3x50

I'll probably roll out a little more. I developed a bruise in one spot where I was really digging in, which is interesting.

_________________
If growing up meant it would be beneath my dignity to climb a tree, I won't grow up, won't grow up, never grow up, not me.
avatar
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Posts : 7184
Points : 15463
Join date : 2011-06-15
Age : 53
Location : Vancouver, Wash.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Trails for Two

Post  nkrichards on Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:45 am

I applaud you for being able to keep up the PT work!  Not only is it tough physically but mentally as well.  Not sure I could put forth the mental effort without the reward of getting in some running.

How's the knee feeling?
avatar
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 1941
Points : 6734
Join date : 2011-07-27
Age : 59
Location : Sunny Central Oregon

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Trails for Two

Post  Mark B on Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:21 am

nkrichards wrote:I applaud you for being able to keep up the PT work!  Not only is it tough physically but mentally as well.  Not sure I could put forth the mental effort without the reward of getting in some running.

How's the knee feeling?

Thanks, Nancy! There is a reward of running for all the PT work, it's just deferred. Gotta keep the eye on the prize.

My knee feels better, though it still feels a little "off" from time to time, and I'm paranoid about tweaking it in the post-injection weakness. I'll be glad when that part is over and I can start experimenting with it.

I gave myself a dandy bruise on the side of my leg either rolling or digging in with my fingers going after a tough knot of pain. Hope that's a good sign! Suspect

_________________
If growing up meant it would be beneath my dignity to climb a tree, I won't grow up, won't grow up, never grow up, not me.
avatar
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Posts : 7184
Points : 15463
Join date : 2011-06-15
Age : 53
Location : Vancouver, Wash.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Trails for Two

Post  ounce on Tue Sep 26, 2017 2:59 pm

Mark B wrote:
nkrichards wrote:I applaud you for being able to keep up the PT work!  Not only is it tough physically but mentally as well.  Not sure I could put forth the mental effort without the reward of getting in some running.

How's the knee feeling?

Thanks, Nancy! There is a reward of running for all the PT work, it's just deferred. Gotta keep the eye on the prize.

My knee feels better, though it still feels a little "off" from time to time, and I'm paranoid about tweaking it in the post-injection weakness. I'll be glad when that part is over and I can start experimenting with it.

I gave myself a dandy bruise on the side of my leg either rolling or digging in with my fingers going after a tough knot of pain. Hope that's a good sign! Suspect
Sometimes, pain is a good thing, but I'm starting to WONDER about you for falling into the self-injurious activities trap.

Here's a little something to help you and your knee during your 'off' period.

avatar
ounce
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 4707
Points : 12961
Join date : 2011-06-26
Age : 60
Location : houston

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Trails for Two

Post  nkrichards on Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:17 am

Mark B wrote:
nkrichards wrote:I applaud you for being able to keep up the PT work!  Not only is it tough physically but mentally as well.  Not sure I could put forth the mental effort without the reward of getting in some running.

How's the knee feeling?

Thanks, Nancy! There is a reward of running for all the PT work, it's just deferred. Gotta keep the eye on the prize.

Fast Freddie prefers instant gratification...have to get the dopamine flowing...
avatar
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 1941
Points : 6734
Join date : 2011-07-27
Age : 59
Location : Sunny Central Oregon

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Trails for Two

Post  Mark B on Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:55 am

nkrichards wrote:
Mark B wrote:
nkrichards wrote:I applaud you for being able to keep up the PT work!  Not only is it tough physically but mentally as well.  Not sure I could put forth the mental effort without the reward of getting in some running.

How's the knee feeling?

Thanks, Nancy! There is a reward of running for all the PT work, it's just deferred. Gotta keep the eye on the prize.

Fast Freddie prefers instant gratification...have to get the dopamine flowing...

Not sure who Fast Freddie is, but he's got a point.

To that end, back to the exercises!

3x50 each side, clamshells with silver band
3x50 each side, prone leg lifts with knee bent
3x50 each side, side leg lifts, pressing into furniture to fire off both major sets of gluts

Ah, dopamine... 

The knee feels pretty good now, as does the rest of my leg. I'm waiting to hear back from the doctor to know when its safe for my cortisone-exposed ligaments and tendons to do something more vigorous, like walking or running or doing weight-bearing strength work.

_________________
If growing up meant it would be beneath my dignity to climb a tree, I won't grow up, won't grow up, never grow up, not me.
avatar
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Posts : 7184
Points : 15463
Join date : 2011-06-15
Age : 53
Location : Vancouver, Wash.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Trails for Two

Post  nkrichards on Thu Sep 28, 2017 2:03 pm

Mark B wrote:
nkrichards wrote:
Mark B wrote:
nkrichards wrote:I applaud you for being able to keep up the PT work!  Not only is it tough physically but mentally as well.  Not sure I could put forth the mental effort without the reward of getting in some running.

How's the knee feeling?

Thanks, Nancy! There is a reward of running for all the PT work, it's just deferred. Gotta keep the eye on the prize.

Fast Freddie prefers instant gratification...have to get the dopamine flowing...

Not sure who Fast Freddie is, but he's got a point.

To that end, back to the exercises!

3x50 each side, clamshells with silver band
3x50 each side, prone leg lifts with knee bent
3x50 each side, side leg lifts, pressing into furniture to fire off both major sets of gluts

Ah, dopamine... 

The knee feels pretty good now, as does the rest of my leg. I'm waiting to hear back from the doctor to know when its safe for my cortisone-exposed ligaments and tendons to do something more vigorous, like walking or running or doing weight-bearing strength work.
Fast Freddie is that fella that sits on my shoulder and gets me into trouble when I need to be running slower!

Any news on when you'll be able to get back to running?
avatar
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 1941
Points : 6734
Join date : 2011-07-27
Age : 59
Location : Sunny Central Oregon

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Trails for Two

Post  Mark B on Thu Sep 28, 2017 2:16 pm

nkrichards wrote:
Mark B wrote:
nkrichards wrote:
Mark B wrote:
nkrichards wrote:I applaud you for being able to keep up the PT work!  Not only is it tough physically but mentally as well.  Not sure I could put forth the mental effort without the reward of getting in some running.

How's the knee feeling?

Thanks, Nancy! There is a reward of running for all the PT work, it's just deferred. Gotta keep the eye on the prize.

Fast Freddie prefers instant gratification...have to get the dopamine flowing...

Not sure who Fast Freddie is, but he's got a point.

To that end, back to the exercises!

3x50 each side, clamshells with silver band
3x50 each side, prone leg lifts with knee bent
3x50 each side, side leg lifts, pressing into furniture to fire off both major sets of gluts

Ah, dopamine... 

The knee feels pretty good now, as does the rest of my leg. I'm waiting to hear back from the doctor to know when its safe for my cortisone-exposed ligaments and tendons to do something more vigorous, like walking or running or doing weight-bearing strength work.
Fast Freddie is that fella that sits on my shoulder and gets me into trouble when I need to be running slower!

Any news on when you'll be able to get back to running?

Yes. I checked with the doctor yesterday, and he said a slow return to activity is advised, with full activity two weeks out. I assume he meant two weeks out from the injection last week, not two weeks out from yesterday, but I'll still be taking it easy. I'll probably hold off on the more acrobatic PT work until then. I hope to take a walk at lunch today and see how it feels. Running next week, I hope!

One twist that I don't think will have an impact is a platelet donation Alita and I are making on Saturday. We've never done it before -- we've only donated whole blood -- so I'm intrigued to see what sort of impact it has on running. I get to keep my red blood cells, so that'll help.

I think Ounce has donated platelets before, so I'd be interested to hear from him what it's like. It's a little freaky to run all your blood through a machine and get it pumped back into your body after something has been stripped out of it.

_________________
If growing up meant it would be beneath my dignity to climb a tree, I won't grow up, won't grow up, never grow up, not me.
avatar
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Posts : 7184
Points : 15463
Join date : 2011-06-15
Age : 53
Location : Vancouver, Wash.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Trails for Two

Post  ounce on Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:12 pm

Mark B wrote:
nkrichards wrote:
Mark B wrote:
nkrichards wrote:
Mark B wrote:
nkrichards wrote:I applaud you for being able to keep up the PT work!  Not only is it tough physically but mentally as well.  Not sure I could put forth the mental effort without the reward of getting in some running.

How's the knee feeling?

Thanks, Nancy! There is a reward of running for all the PT work, it's just deferred. Gotta keep the eye on the prize.

Fast Freddie prefers instant gratification...have to get the dopamine flowing...

Not sure who Fast Freddie is, but he's got a point.

To that end, back to the exercises!

3x50 each side, clamshells with silver band
3x50 each side, prone leg lifts with knee bent
3x50 each side, side leg lifts, pressing into furniture to fire off both major sets of gluts

Ah, dopamine... 

The knee feels pretty good now, as does the rest of my leg. I'm waiting to hear back from the doctor to know when its safe for my cortisone-exposed ligaments and tendons to do something more vigorous, like walking or running or doing weight-bearing strength work.
Fast Freddie is that fella that sits on my shoulder and gets me into trouble when I need to be running slower!

Any news on when you'll be able to get back to running?

Yes. I checked with the doctor yesterday, and he said a slow return to activity is advised, with full activity two weeks out. I assume he meant two weeks out from the injection last week, not two weeks out from yesterday, but I'll still be taking it easy. I'll probably hold off on the more acrobatic PT work until then. I hope to take a walk at lunch today and see how it feels. Running next week, I hope!

One twist that I don't think will have an impact is a platelet donation Alita and I are making on Saturday. We've never done it before -- we've only donated whole blood -- so I'm intrigued to see what sort of impact it has on running. I get to keep my red blood cells, so that'll help.

I think Ounce has donated platelets before, so I'd be interested to hear from him what it's like. It's a little freaky to run all your blood through a machine and get it pumped back into your body after something has been stripped out of it.
Are you trying to start a new sport of Acrobatic Running?  Why else would one do acrobatic PT?

Donating platelets is transparent to the runner.  Donating platelets and plasma is transparent to the runner.  Just don't let them pull RBC's (red blood cells) and, of course, whole blood.  Blood type A+ is the primo platelet donor type because it can be transfused to patients of all blood types.  I'm told cancer patients and burn patients use the platelets.

If they ask you if they can pull platelets and plasma, it's fine, unless you're going to go out and exert yourself right afterwards (which you're not supposed to do for 2-4 hours).  Just drink an extra pint of water over the day to replenish the liquid taken in the plasma.  They'll give you some fluids, as part of the 'return', so the extra pint will just top you off.  It's drawn and returned with the same needle.  It doesn't take any longer to add plasma to the process.  There's nothing to do to replenish your platelets after the donation.  You can donate platelets again in 7 days.  Plasma in 30 days.

The process takes longer than whole blood.  Your hematocrit percentage (percent of RBC, WBC, and platelets in a plasma sample) is important.  They'll prick your finger for that during the screening process.  I think the range is 35-53.  The screening process is the same for whole or platelets.  If your number is above 45, they will beg to pull RBC while doing platelets.  Resist!  Before they stick you, (this is important) makes sure they're not pulling RBC.  Platelets?  Sure.  Plasma? Sure.  If they ask why, tell them you're a runner and have a race that you're training for.  When is it?  October.

If you have around an hour to sit in the chair and they ask if you would do a 'split' platelets, then go ahead.  A 'split' is a double platelet pull.  The hematocrit number will give them the idea, but they will use one of the vials of blood to get an accurate platelet level.  If it's high enough to where you won't be in any real danger after the donation, they'll let you decide.  I've never just donated a single platelet.  Mine are well above whatever the level is for a single.  I don't know if they even do a single pull.  I've been donating platelets since the '90s.

If you do a split, allow 90 minutes, door to door.

If your lips or face feels tingly or kinda numb, ask for a Tums.  It will alleviate the tingly quickly.  If you don't, it's no big deal and the tingles will leave within a few minutes.  I don't take Tums, at first as an experiment to see if it resolves, and it does.

During donation, the machine cycles a Draw, then a Return.  Rinse, repeat.  When the machine does it's first return, they will come and ask you 'How does it feel?"  You're feeling for pain and discomfort.  You might get to feel the blood (less platelets) with some saline type fluid that's a little different temperature.  It's subtle and completely normal.  And pretty nifty!

You might have to squeeze the ball a little differently, than whole blood.  If the machine isn't getting a good flow on the draw, it'll beep.  If it happens twice, it'll beep again and the tech will come by to hit 'Continue.'  That's when you might have to change your squeeze method.  You can ask them what to do or how to change.  You can ask them anything about the process and they're happy to answer, just let them get you stuck and flowing, first.

On the machines used here, the mechanical sound for a draw is different than the mechanical sound for a return.  You don't have to squeeze on a return, but you have to start squeezing before the return is finished so the machine doesn't beep.  Therefore, I'd recommend resting for 5 seconds during the return, to give your forearm a rest.

After the goal has been reached, you stop squeezing, the machine will give you some saline which lasts about 5 minutes, and they yank the needle out.  I hope you don't have a lot of arm hair.

Pee before you get in the chair.  Holler with questions.  Good luck.  It should be fun!
avatar
ounce
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 4707
Points : 12961
Join date : 2011-06-26
Age : 60
Location : houston

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Trails for Two

Post  Mark B on Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:28 pm

ounce wrote:
Mark B wrote:
nkrichards wrote:
Mark B wrote:
nkrichards wrote:
Mark B wrote:
nkrichards wrote:I applaud you for being able to keep up the PT work!  Not only is it tough physically but mentally as well.  Not sure I could put forth the mental effort without the reward of getting in some running.

How's the knee feeling?

Thanks, Nancy! There is a reward of running for all the PT work, it's just deferred. Gotta keep the eye on the prize.

Fast Freddie prefers instant gratification...have to get the dopamine flowing...

Not sure who Fast Freddie is, but he's got a point.

To that end, back to the exercises!

3x50 each side, clamshells with silver band
3x50 each side, prone leg lifts with knee bent
3x50 each side, side leg lifts, pressing into furniture to fire off both major sets of gluts

Ah, dopamine... 

The knee feels pretty good now, as does the rest of my leg. I'm waiting to hear back from the doctor to know when its safe for my cortisone-exposed ligaments and tendons to do something more vigorous, like walking or running or doing weight-bearing strength work.
Fast Freddie is that fella that sits on my shoulder and gets me into trouble when I need to be running slower!

Any news on when you'll be able to get back to running?

Yes. I checked with the doctor yesterday, and he said a slow return to activity is advised, with full activity two weeks out. I assume he meant two weeks out from the injection last week, not two weeks out from yesterday, but I'll still be taking it easy. I'll probably hold off on the more acrobatic PT work until then. I hope to take a walk at lunch today and see how it feels. Running next week, I hope!

One twist that I don't think will have an impact is a platelet donation Alita and I are making on Saturday. We've never done it before -- we've only donated whole blood -- so I'm intrigued to see what sort of impact it has on running. I get to keep my red blood cells, so that'll help.

I think Ounce has donated platelets before, so I'd be interested to hear from him what it's like. It's a little freaky to run all your blood through a machine and get it pumped back into your body after something has been stripped out of it.
Are you trying to start a new sport of Acrobatic Running?  Why else would one do acrobatic PT?

Donating platelets is transparent to the runner.  Donating platelets and plasma is transparent to the runner.  Just don't let them pull RBC's (red blood cells) and, of course, whole blood.  Blood type A+ is the primo platelet donor type because it can be transfused to patients of all blood types.  I'm told cancer patients and burn patients use the platelets.

If they ask you if they can pull platelets and plasma, it's fine, unless you're going to go out and exert yourself right afterwards (which you're not supposed to do for 2-4 hours).  Just drink an extra pint of water over the day to replenish the liquid taken in the plasma.  They'll give you some fluids, as part of the 'return', so the extra pint will just top you off.  It's drawn and returned with the same needle.  It doesn't take any longer to add plasma to the process.  There's nothing to do to replenish your platelets after the donation.  You can donate platelets again in 7 days.  Plasma in 30 days.

The process takes longer than whole blood.  Your hematocrit percentage (percent of RBC, WBC, and platelets in a plasma sample) is important.  They'll prick your finger for that during the screening process.  I think the range is 35-53.  The screening process is the same for whole or platelets.  If your number is above 45, they will beg to pull RBC while doing platelets.  Resist!  Before they stick you, (this is important) makes sure they're not pulling RBC.  Platelets?  Sure.  Plasma? Sure.  If they ask why, tell them you're a runner and have a race that you're training for.  When is it?  October.

If you have around an hour to sit in the chair and they ask if you would do a 'split' platelets, then go ahead.  A 'split' is a double platelet pull.  The hematocrit number will give them the idea, but they will use one of the vials of blood to get an accurate platelet level.  If it's high enough to where you won't be in any real danger after the donation, they'll let you decide.  I've never just donated a single platelet.  Mine are well above whatever the level is for a single.  I don't know if they even do a single pull.  I've been donating platelets since the '90s.

If you do a split, allow 90 minutes, door to door.

If your lips or face feels tingly or kinda numb, ask for a Tums.  It will alleviate the tingly quickly.  If you don't, it's no big deal and the tingles will leave within a few minutes.  I don't take Tums, at first as an experiment to see if it resolves, and it does.

During donation, the machine cycles a Draw, then a Return.  Rinse, repeat.  When the machine does it's first return, they will come and ask you 'How does it feel?"  You're feeling for pain and discomfort.  You might get to feel the blood (less platelets) with some saline type fluid that's a little different temperature.  It's subtle and completely normal.  And pretty nifty!

You might have to squeeze the ball a little differently, than whole blood.  If the machine isn't getting a good flow on the draw, it'll beep.  If it happens twice, it'll beep again and the tech will come by to hit 'Continue.'  That's when you might have to change your squeeze method.  You can ask them what to do or how to change.  You can ask them anything about the process and they're happy to answer, just let them get you stuck and flowing, first.

On the machines used here, the mechanical sound for a draw is different than the mechanical sound for a return.  You don't have to squeeze on a return, but you have to start squeezing before the return is finished so the machine doesn't beep.  Therefore, I'd recommend resting for 5 seconds during the return, to give your forearm a rest.

After the goal has been reached, you stop squeezing, the machine will give you some saline which lasts about 5 minutes, and they yank the needle out.  I hope you don't have a lot of arm hair.

Pee before you get in the chair.  Holler with questions.  Good luck.  It should be fun!

Thanks for the primer, Ounce! They said it'd probably take 90 minutes, so it sounds like a split. We're both A+, so they should like us.

Heard from my PT this afternoon, and she wants me to resume the weight-bearing PT before starting running. I guess that includes the "acrobatic" Swiss curls on the exercise ball. That's always fun.

_________________
If growing up meant it would be beneath my dignity to climb a tree, I won't grow up, won't grow up, never grow up, not me.
avatar
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Posts : 7184
Points : 15463
Join date : 2011-06-15
Age : 53
Location : Vancouver, Wash.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Trails for Two

Post  ounce on Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:35 pm

I'll say 20 minutes from door to getting stuck, 60 minutes for donating, 10 minutes from time you stop squeezing to door.  Lots of factors will affect the 60 minutes up or down, usually by a couple of minutes.

Work on keeping that machine happy because if you make the machine beep too much, they'll slow the rate of the draw which extends your sitting time.  In whole blood, you SQUEEEEEEZE that ball every 3-5 seconds.  For platelets, I have to softly squeeze the ball every 2 seconds.

I've 'graduated' to doing triples, which means I'm stuck in the chair for 100 minutes.  Fanny gets sore at 85, as does my forearm.
Sweaty
avatar
ounce
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 4707
Points : 12961
Join date : 2011-06-26
Age : 60
Location : houston

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Trails for Two

Post  ounce on Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:12 am

Good luck on your 'marathon in a chair,' today.  I didn't explain everything, e.g. how to monitor how much longer you have to go, what kind of cookies or ChexMix do you have? and what does "Clearing the LRS chamber" mean?

Some things you just have to find out for yourself. Shocked clown pale silent affraid Dead

You should not have any problems standing up, afterwards, because you still have all of your RBC.   Don't forget that you can donate every 7 days, whether you make a complete donation or not.  Heck, drag Alec down there.
avatar
ounce
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Posts : 4707
Points : 12961
Join date : 2011-06-26
Age : 60
Location : houston

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Trails for Two

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 23 of 26 Previous  1 ... 13 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum