365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Trails for Two

+5
They call me MISTER Fluff
Tim C
Mike MacLellan
Michele "1L" Keane
Julie
9 posters

Page 26 of 40 Previous  1 ... 14 ... 25, 26, 27 ... 33 ... 40  Next

Go down

Trails for Two - Page 26 Empty Re: Trails for Two

Post  nkrichards Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:36 pm

We didn't get much rain...the wind has been blowing so hard that it blows away before it hits the ground!

My family in Sandy got dumped on so I'm sure you did to.

We need the moisture but...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:20 pm

nkrichards wrote:We didn't get much rain...the wind has been blowing so hard that it blows away before it hits the ground!

We are DEFINITELY getting the moisture over here. Very wet all day, which meant our run involved significant sogginess. 

At least it wasn't 34° and raining...

---

Rainy Rehab Run with Alita: 2.62 miles

Weather: Rainy, 53° Gear: Topos, shorts, long-sleeved T, jacket, hat, gloves

We're in the middle of an "atmospheric river" event, which means lots of continuous rain. We waited until later in the day, when the rain was a little warmer, and headed out.

Last Stage 2 run: 10 minutes walking warmup, 3 minutes running, 2 minutes walking, five sets. 

It went well. I tried to see if I could keep my feet from pointing out, and it helped me feel more of my core, which was interesting. Alita did well, too.

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:58 pm

Mark B wrote:
nkrichards wrote:We didn't get much rain...the wind has been blowing so hard that it blows away before it hits the ground!

We are DEFINITELY getting the moisture over here. Very wet all day, which meant our run involved significant sogginess. 

---

We're in the middle of an "atmospheric river" event, which means lots of continuous rain. We waited until later in the day, when the rain was a little warmer, and headed out.

Last Stage 2 run: 10 minutes walking warmup, 3 minutes running, 2 minutes walking, five sets. 

It went well. I tried to see if I could keep my feet from pointing out, and it helped me feel more of my core, which was interesting. Alita did well, too.
Seems acceptable, sir.

"Atmospheric river"?  Continuous rain?  Never heard of such a thing.  Must be something that ONLY occurs in the Pacific Northwest.  Slide pretty!
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:03 am

ounce wrote:
Mark B wrote:

---

Seems acceptable, sir.

"Atmospheric river"?  Continuous rain?  Never heard of such a thing.  Must be something that ONLY occurs in the Pacific Northwest.  Slide pretty!

Yep. "Atmospheric river"  is the term they use when the weather patterns create an unbroken line of moisture across the Pacific Ocean that plows directly into the west coast of North America. There have been times when it's been catastrophic, but usually it just means a whole lot of rain over an extended period. 

By Harvey standards, our rainfall was laughable. A bit over 2 inches of rain in 24 hours. But I don't think it stopped raining the whole time. Fall is definitely here.

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:08 am

Catching up.

Yesterday, I helped Alita learn a few of my exercises and then spent about 45 minutes doing my own.

1) Arabesques, 3 x15 each leg (very wobbly at first, got better in second set, then wobbly again with fatigue)
2) Side lunges, 3 x 20 each side
3) Clamshells, 3 x  50 each side, slowly! 
4) Swiss curls on ball, 3 x 20
5) Hands and knees leg lift, 3 x 50 each side. 
6) Side leg lifts, 3 x 50 each side

I also did my new daily exercise: Eccentric calf raises. Raise up on two feet, shift to one foot while at full extension then slowly lower down. One set of 15 per leg. Keeping from simply collapsing with a *thunk* is a challenge. I'll go up to 3 sets after a week. Eventually, I'll be able to raise up on one foot to full extension! Untl then, oof.

---

This morning....

Foggy Rehab Run with Alita: 1.95 miles

Weather: Foggy, 48°. Gear: Topos, pants, long-sleeved T, jacket, hat, gloves. (a bit too much)

We started Stage 3 of the recovery protocol this morning in fog so thick it sparkled in our headlamps. It also highlighted cobwebs, so the designated cobweb breaker (me) reflexively swerved and waved his arms a few times when one came into view. Smile

Stage 3 is 10 minutes walking warmup, 4 minutes running, 1 minute walking. Starting at three sets, adding one set per run. Starting to feel like running now. No knee issues.

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:57 pm

I can picture you and Alita running in the dark with headlamps and you swerving and flailing at cobwebs but it's not a pretty picture!

I'm always more motivated to do things... ie core work when Marty does it with me.  We motivate each other.  Doing them together is a good plan if it fits your time schedule.  And the partner to motivate you to get out for those early morning runs is a great plan as well.

Gorgeous weather here today...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:32 pm

Ah, another episode of the Foggy Bottom Rehab Run.  How nice.

May I suggest a stick for web destruction?
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:13 am

ounce wrote:Ah, another episode of the Foggy Bottom Rehab Run.  How nice.

May I suggest a stick for web destruction?

Heh. Foggy Bottom Rehab Run sounds like a group that'd play at Austin City Limits. Very Happy

No need for a stick for the cobwebs. There aren't that many, and it's fun to frantically wave my arms...

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:14 am

Rehab Run with Alita: 2.34 miles

Weather: Cool and a little muggy. 42° Gear: Topos, pants, T, pullover, jacket, hat. (edge of too much)

We went a little faster this morning, so our first running segment put us in the ravine, which meant a little extra walking in the first walking segment to not have to start back up a steep incline. Otherwise, it was 10 minutes walking warmup, 4 minutes running, 1 minute walking, with four sets. 

It was a  cool morning, and we could start to see the beginning of fog starting to form in the light of our headlamps. 

I've been experimenting with trying to get my legs rotated inwardly to the point to where my feet point more or less straight forward instead of slightly out to the side. My PT thought that might help but backed off after seeing how awkward it made me. I decided to keep trying, and as I've done it, I've noticed how much more my glutes are getting activated when I run and walk. It's like, "where did THESE things come from?" It was one of the reasons we went faster today, I think. Broadening my stance a little helps eliminate some of the awkwardness I felt earlier, too. 

One thing I read once was that, if you're trying to improve your form, it's SUPPOSED to feel awkward and wrong at the beginning, because you're fighting long-established patterns. If it felt easy, you really didn't change anything. 

So the experiment continues....

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:27 am

Mark B wrote:

I've been experimenting with trying to get my legs rotated inwardly to the point to where my feet point more or less straight forward instead of slightly out to the side. My PT thought that might help but backed off after seeing how awkward it made me. I decided to keep trying, and as I've done it, I've noticed how much more my glutes are getting activated when I run and walk. It's like, "where did THESE things come from?" It was one of the reasons we went faster today, I think. Broadening my stance a little helps eliminate some of the awkwardness I felt earlier, too. 

One thing I read once was that, if you're trying to improve your form, it's SUPPOSED to feel awkward and wrong at the beginning, because you're fighting long-established patterns. If it felt easy, you really didn't change anything. 

Good point Mark.  I've often thought about trying to move toward a more mid-foot strike...I'm a heal striker but do keep my feet pretty much underneath me and not way out front.  And I've started to work on increasing my cadence a few different times.  But comfort and current training needs always win out.  I've always  convinced myself that running should be fun and working that hard at changing isn't fun.  But maybe I would have more fun if I did make those changes...  This hip issue may be the thing that makes me take a step back and re-evaluate.

Enjoy those early morning runs.  They are looking more and more like real runs!
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:51 am

nkrichards wrote:
Mark B wrote:

Good point Mark.  I've often thought about trying to move toward a more mid-foot strike...I'm a heal striker but do keep my feet pretty much underneath me and not way out front.  And I've started to work on increasing my cadence a few different times.  But comfort and current training needs always win out.  I've always  convinced myself that running should be fun and working that hard at changing isn't fun.  But maybe I would have more fun if I did make those changes...  This hip issue may be the thing that makes me take a step back and re-evaluate.

Enjoy those early morning runs.  They are looking more and more like real runs!

One thing to remember if you experiment with a mid-foot landing is that your foot should come down directly beneath you, not in front of your center of mass. That'd be overstriding, and it puts the brakes on every step you take forward. Landing midfoot and not overstriding also helps with cadence. Think easy, light and fast. Easy comes first, then light, then fast. 

Those early morning outings are feeling more like runs, too. Especially as I experiment with using my glutes more. Zowie. Can I feel it afterward!

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:54 am

I keep finding excuses not to do the strength work, so I did it this morning.

1) Arabesques, 3 x15 each leg (these are SO difficult! it didn't help that Fluff kept lunging at my hand when I extended it in front of me)
3) Clamshells, 3 x  50 each side
4) Swiss curls on ball, 3 x 20 (holy cow, were these tougher today. maybe the running glute activation?)

Still too chicken to try the side planks...

I'm also still at the 1 x 15 each side calf exercises. Just trying to slowly lower my heel rather than just let gravity do it is amazingly tough, especially after a few reps.

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:13 am

Rehab Run with Alita: 2.75 miles

Weather: Starry, cool. 46° Gear: Topos, pants, long-sleeved T, jacket, gloves (shed)

Our last run in Stage 3, and it was a pretty morning for it. Lots of stars, especially when we cut through a neighborhood park and got out of the streetlights. Nice.

10 minute walking warmup, 4 minutes running, 1 minute walking, five sets.

Last time, Alita saw my Garmin splits and was surprised how much our pace varied, so I tried to keep a more even pace this time. We were in the 10s, mostly, with dips into the 9s and slowing into the 11s. Still not rock-steady, but hey. 

I could feel the effects of that strength work yesterday. Suspect

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Sat Oct 28, 2017 8:41 pm

Mark B wrote:I keep finding excuses not to do the strength work, so I did it this morning.

1) Arabesques, 3 x15 each leg (these are SO difficult! it didn't help that Fluff kept lunging at my hand when I extended it in front of me)
4) Swiss curls on ball, 3 x 20 (holy cow, were these tougher today. maybe the running glute activation?)

I'm also still at the 1 x 15 each side calf exercises. Just trying to slowly lower my heel rather than just let gravity do it is amazingly tough, especially after a few reps.
Fluff is JUST trying to keep your hand weighted dowwwwwwn!

Are those side planks straight arm or bent arm?  I always needs shoes on to provide the grip.  Otherwise, I'll just watch.  Keep it up!  Fluff might be your PT's inside eye cyclops .
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:00 pm

ounce wrote:
Mark B wrote:I keep finding excuses not to do the strength work, so I did it this morning.

Fluff is JUST trying to keep your hand weighted dowwwwwwn!

Are those side planks straight arm or bent arm?  I always needs shoes on to provide the grip.  Otherwise, I'll just watch.  Keep it up!  Fluff might be your PT's inside eye cyclops .

The side planks are bent arm, bent knee, so no shoes needed. Yeah, kind of a baby side plank, but you're supposed to do side leg lifts while doing them! I tried a few of them today and hated them. I've never liked isometric exercises. But I suppose I'll need to get to them one of these days, since they'd probably help. 

Also...

1) Arabesques, 3 x15 each leg (felt a little more coordinated today; it helped that Fluff was elsewhere)
4) Swiss curls on ball, 3 x 30 (yup. added 10 more reps each time. ooooooof.)
7) Calf exercises, eccentric calf lowering from full extension, 1 x 15 each side. (Will need to ramp those up soon with more sets.)

Fluff got into the act for Alita this time...

Trails for Two - Page 26 Fluffh10

He's quite the little helper. As you can see from the lower right frame. What a Face

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Sun Oct 29, 2017 3:15 pm

Mark B wrote:
 I tried a few of them today and hated them. I've never liked isometric exercises. But I suppose I'll need to get to them one of these days, since they'd probably help. 

He's quite the little helper. As you can see from the lower right frame. What a Face
I've never liked any type of exercises much!  But I guess that I'm realizing that if I want to run, bike, swim...and just plain live well...I need to make them a part of my life.

Alita looks determined!!!!!
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:02 am

nkrichards wrote:
Mark B wrote:
 I tried a few of them today and hated them. I've never liked isometric exercises. But I suppose I'll need to get to them one of these days, since they'd probably help. 

I've never liked any type of exercises much!  But I guess that I'm realizing that if I want to run, bike, swim...and just plain live well...I need to make them a part of my life.

Alita looks determined!!!!!

They seem to be more important the older we get, so....

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:02 am

Sunday Hike: 4.4 miles on trails

Weather: Overcast, cool. Gear: Topo Terraventures, street clothes

A hike with Alita and friends in Whipple Creek Park. It was a good test of the knee. I felt it a little at first, but it quickly went away. It was a pretty day, and it was fun showing the park off to our friends.

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:05 am

Birthday Shoes Run! 1.35 miles

Weather: Clear and cool. 42° Gear: Bare feet, pants, long-sleeved T, jacket, gloves

It's my BD today, so I had to keep the "birthday shoes" tradition alive.

But since I'm still rehabbing, I couldn't do 54 minutes, or 5.4 miles, or even 5.4 kilometers. But 5:40 of running was right where I'm supposed to be. I started out with a 10-minute walking warmup (which on cold pavement chilled my toes a bit), then the 5:40 running segment -- I ran at about a 10/mi pace -- and then walked a little to cool down. Short and sweet, but the streak's alive!

And I have *just* enough toes (and toe flexibility) to show y'all how many years old I am!

Trails for Two - Page 26 22853010
The run felt pretty good. I notice that I automatically engage the glutes more running barefoot. Intriguing

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Mon Oct 30, 2017 2:43 pm

Happy Birthday, Mark!
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Mon Oct 30, 2017 4:41 pm

Happy Birthday Mark.  Glad you were able to keep the steak alive.

Don't think I could do that with my toes...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:22 pm

Happy Birfday, Mark!  You can make a 5 and a 4 with your toes, but did you hold it for 5:40 or 54 seconds or what?
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:13 am

Thanks for the birthday wishes, all! 

55 should be easier to do with my toes, since I won't have to have one toe down and the others up. That's trickier than it looks.

Not that I'm antsy to hit 55, though. I'm willing to take my time getting there.

---

Stage 4 Rehab Run with Alita: 2.29 miles

Weather: Starry and cold. About 32° Gear: Topos, tights, long-sleeved T, pullover, jacket, hat, gloves.

The coldest morning in quite a while as we started Stage 4 of our rehab running protocol. 

This stage is 10 minutes walking warm up (though "warm" is relative when it's freezing outside), 6 minutes running, 1 minute walking. My body *just* was starting to warm up when it was time to wrap it up. 

The stars were bright, though. Gorgeous.

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:52 pm

Mark B wrote:Thanks for the birthday wishes, all! 

55 should be easier to do with my toes, since I won't have to have one toe down and the others up. That's trickier than it looks.

Not that I'm antsy to hit 55, though. I'm willing to take my time getting there.

---

Weather: Starry and cold. About 32° Gear: Topos, tights, long-sleeved T, pullover, jacket, hat, gloves.

The coldest morning in quite a while as we started Stage 4 of our rehab running protocol. 

This stage is 10 minutes walking warm up (though "warm" is relative when it's freezing outside), 6 minutes running, 1 minute walking. My body *just* was starting to warm up when it was time to wrap it up. 

55 will be a breeze...I want to see you do 56!

Sounds like a gorgeous run.  I love this kind of weather.  I used to be averse to running in the cold but have realized that if dressed appropriately a run on a cold, clear day/night/morning is actually quite nice.

Get ready for winter rain and snow...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:51 pm

nkrichards wrote:
Mark B wrote:Thanks for the birthday wishes, all! 

---

55 will be a breeze...I want to see you do 56!

Sounds like a gorgeous run.  I love this kind of weather.  I used to be averse to running in the cold but have realized that if dressed appropriately a run on a cold, clear day/night/morning is actually quite nice.

Get ready for winter rain and snow...

Cold and dry is fine, if you have the equipment for it. Cold and wet... not so much. I remember one near freezing rainy run we did last winter that left us pretty close to hypothermic. It that doesn't build grit, nothing will.

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 26 of 40 Previous  1 ... 14 ... 25, 26, 27 ... 33 ... 40  Next