365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Trails for Two

+5
They call me MISTER Fluff
Tim C
Mike MacLellan
Michele "1L" Keane
Julie
9 posters

Page 33 of 40 Previous  1 ... 18 ... 32, 33, 34 ... 36 ... 40  Next

Go down

Trails for Two - Page 33 Empty Re: Trails for Two

Post  nkrichards Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:13 pm

Mark B wrote:
ounce wrote:We're having a roller coaster winter, which is really good because we get some cold, real cold, and some 70's.  Yesterday, it was 66 and 2.35" of rain.  Today, it was 46 at midnight and currently 37 and really windy.  Thursday, it's to be 77.  Another front arrives Saturday.

Is it time to go see the alpacas (or was it llamas?) or the pygmy giraffes looking things?  Glad you're back and target bait for cars.

Sort of car bait. We're having a tough time re-establishing a rhythm. We'll get there, though the 24-hour event will probably have to wait for another year.

I'd like the see the llamas (and sometimes alpaca, depending on which way I run) again. But they're far enough away from the house that it'll be the spring before we make it that far.

Midwest weather is nuts. Say what you will about the rainy Pacific Northwest, but at least we've got this huge ocean to our west that moderates the weather.

Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:
ounce wrote:We're having a roller coaster winter, which is really good because we get some cold, real cold, and some 70's.  Yesterday, it was 66 and 2.35" of rain.  Today, it was 46 at midnight and currently 37 and really windy.  Thursday, it's to be 77.  Another front arrives Saturday.

Is it time to go see the alpacas (or was it llamas?) or the pygmy giraffes looking things?  Glad you're back and target bait for cars.

Winter here in GA has been a lot more like yours, Doug than Mark's.  Lots of weird weather including two bouts with snow that stuck around and a lot of rain.  Cold last week and then 65F today.

We finally got back to below freezing a couple of mornings this week, with sunny, dry weather. It's pretty, but not doing so much for the snowpack. Otherwise, it's been unseasonably warm. I think we've already hit 60, which is very unusual. The $#@& lawn is even starting to grow again. I have a suspicion this is going to become the norm over time. Well, we'll save money on snow tires, at least.

Single digits here the last two nights!  Not sure it ever got above freezing yesterday and if it did it wasn't by much.  Good time to workout indoors...or rest and recover.

We've got bulbs that are coming up and trees that are budding.  Not sure how they'll cope with these temps.  Probably better than me...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:04 pm

Highs:
Monday - 42
Tuesday - 52
Wednesday forecast - 73
Thursday forecast - 78
Friday forecast - 73
Saturday forecast - 62

seasonal high - 68
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:55 pm

ounce wrote:Highs:
Monday - 42
Tuesday - 52
Wednesday forecast - 73
Thursday forecast - 78
Friday forecast - 73
Saturday forecast - 62

seasonal high - 68

Ah, Texas.

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:57 pm

Snowyish run with Alita: 2.39 miles

Weather: Snow-rain-sleet mix. 36° Gear: Topos, pants, long-sleeved T, pullover, jacket, hat, gloves.

We've been looking for motivation to get out there and run, and the weather finally delivered today: Cold, windy with big, fat snowflakes interspersed with rain and ice pellets. Perfect weather for an adventure!

We headed out on route through the neighborhood that took us around the local high school. It wasn't very far, but it's a step up from the "run one mile" trap we'd fallen into when we were attempting the streak. We kept the pace easy, and it was a pretty comfortable effort.

One definite takeaway from this run: Our running jackets have lost even the hint of being water repellent. We had soak through in under 30 minutes. Yes, it was windy and it was raining a lot of the time, but still. We will have to rectify that problem one of these days.

---

Also, I managed to get in lunchtime walks of three miles for four days this week, boosting my total moving distance this week to 14.7 miles. It's nice to start moving again.

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:38 pm

Mark B wrote:Snowyish run with Alita: 2.39 miles

Weather: Snow-rain-sleet mix. 36° Gear: Topos, pants, long-sleeved T, pullover, jacket, hat, gloves.

We've been looking for motivation to get out there and run, and the weather finally delivered today: Cold, windy with big, fat snowflakes interspersed with rain and ice pellets. Perfect weather for an adventure!

We headed out on route through the neighborhood that took us around the local high school. It wasn't very far, but it's a step up from the "run one mile" trap we'd fallen into when we were attempting the streak. We kept the pace easy, and it was a pretty comfortable effort.

One definite takeaway from this run: Our running jackets have lost even the hint of being water repellent. We had soak through in under 30 minutes. Yes, it was windy and it was raining a lot of the time, but still. We will have to rectify that problem one of these days.

---

Also, I managed to get in lunchtime walks of three miles for four days this week, boosting my total moving distance this week to 14.7 miles. It's nice to start moving again.

I would imagine you're pretty happy to get moving again...even if it is cold and snowy.  Stay safe.  And get a new jacket!
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:10 pm

Trail Run: 2.71 miles (or so)

Weather: Partly cloudy, cool. 44° Gear: Trail Topos, pants, T, pullover, jacket, hat, gloves (overdressed)

Finally!!!

Our first trail run of 2018! Actually, our first trail run since last summer when my leg went wonky. It finally warmed up a bit after a week of cold and snow, so we decided to hit the trail in Whipple Creek Park. We did one big loop, with lots of ups and downs and a decent amount of mud. It felt pretty good (still not using my HR strap) and our paces were fine.

Since we've bagged the idea of going for a 24-hour event this year (we still want to do it eventually), we can focus on trails a bit more, at least on the weekend. We have signed up for a 25K in the mountains in July, so we will need to be ready for tha

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:39 am

Hope you're getting better weather than we are.  Seems like if it's not snowing the wind is blowing.  I have been able to get some outdoor running in...biking is another story.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:20 pm

Mark B wrote:Trail Run: 2.71 miles (or so)

Weather: Partly cloudy, cool. 44° Gear: Trail Topos, pants, T, pullover, jacket, hat, gloves (overdressed)

Finally!!!

Our first trail run of 2018! Actually, our first trail run since last summer when my leg went wonky. It finally warmed up a bit after a week of cold and snow, so we decided to hit the trail in Whipple Creek Park. We did one big loop, with lots of ups and downs and a decent amount of mud. It felt pretty good (still not using my HR strap) and our paces were fine.

Since we've bagged the idea of going for a 24-hour event this year (we still want to do it eventually), we can focus on trails a bit more, at least on the weekend. We have signed up for a 25K in the mountains in July, so we will need to be ready for tha
1st trail run of 2019!!!!!!!  What a great thing to read.  By the way, is there a Charmin Creek Park near Whipple Creek Park?

About the 25K in July, are you a little concerned about y'all doing it?  I mean, you left a dangling 'tha' at the end of that sentence. Suspect

The rain y'all are getting today will be arriving here on Monday mid-morning with lows in the 40's on Wednesday and Thursday...subject to change.  Thanks!
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:45 pm

Geez. I almost fell out of "Latest topics."

I need to get back into the habit of posting. Into the habit of lots of things, actually. That bout of the flu (and a few other things) really thew us off of rhythm lately. Hopefully the return of better conditions (light, warmth) will help get us moving again.

It's not like we've been total slugs, mind you. We've both been walking several times a week at work (I average about 10-11 miles total per week.), and we managed to make it out again today on a glorious late winter afternoon. I'll post that below.

We're hoping that the extended daylight with the time change will give us time to resume midweek runs. It's been awfully hard to get out in the cold and dark after a day at work. At least now we'll have some light. Cross your fingers!

As far as today went, here goes...

Trail Run: 3 miles with Alita[

Weather: Sunny, warm. 66° Gear: Topo Terraventures, shorts, T.  Carried nuun in handheld.

It's an amazingly warm and sunny weekend here, so we had no excuse to not head out for a run in the neighborhood forest. We were prepared to run up to 5 miles but decided that 3 was enough. Our fall-off (thanks to a variety of reasons) has had a definite impact on our fitness level. It's okay. We'll get it back.

We mostly ran but walked a little, especially on the steeper uphills. We shared the trail with lots of walkers and horseback riders, and two little kids who were running like the wind itself.

"Wow! You're fast!" Alita said.

"Yep! The taller of the two kids said. That's because I'm 6!" He held up his fingers to prove it.

"And I'm 4!" chimed in his little brother, only a couple of steps behind him. Their parents were a ways back, and they were beaming. Smile

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:23 pm

Mark B wrote:Geez. I almost fell out of "Latest topics."

I need to get back into the habit of posting. Into the habit of lots of things, actually. That bout of the flu (and a few other things) really thew us off of rhythm lately. Hopefully the return of better conditions (light, warmth) will help get us moving again.

It's not like we've been total slugs, mind you. We've both been walking several times a week at work (I average about 10-11 miles total per week.), and we managed to make it out again today on a glorious late winter afternoon. I'll post that below.

We're hoping that the extended daylight with the time change will give us time to resume midweek runs. It's been awfully hard to get out in the cold and dark after a day at work. At least now we'll have some light. Cross your fingers!

Weather: Sunny, warm. 66° Gear: Topo Terraventures, shorts, T.  Carried nuun in handheld.

It's an amazingly warm and sunny weekend here, so we had no excuse to not head out for a run in the neighborhood forest. We were prepared to run up to 5 miles but decided that 3 was enough. Our fall-off (thanks to a variety of reasons) has had a definite impact on our fitness level. It's okay. We'll get it back.

We mostly ran but walked a little, especially on the steeper uphills. We shared the trail with lots of walkers and horseback riders, and two little kids who were running like the wind itself.

"Yep! The taller of the two kids said. That's because I'm 6!" He held up his fingers to prove it.

"And I'm 4!" chimed in his little brother, only a couple of steps behind him. Their parents were a ways back, and they were beaming. Smile

Good to hear from you Mark!

Glad to hear that you've been somewhat active...with plans to become more active with the increased daylight and nicer temps.

Wouldn't it be great to have the energy, optimism and enthusiasm that those kids have...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:36 am

nkrichards wrote:

Glad to hear that you've been somewhat active...with plans to become more active with the increased daylight and nicer temps.

Wouldn't it be great to have the energy, optimism and enthusiasm that those kids have...

Boy, you're not kidding...

One of the things I've not mentioned about challenges, beyond getting sick, is that Alita has been dealing with seasonal affective disorder and/or depression this winter on top of her normal job stress. We've gotten one of those light boxes, which seems to help, and that's good. It had been very difficult to escape from the gloom.

Our gorgeous (sunny and 72°) day today felt very good for both of us. The run was good, too. Here's hoping we're moving in the right direction.

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:08 pm

Mark B wrote:
nkrichards wrote:

Boy, you're not kidding...

One of the things I've not mentioned about challenges, beyond getting sick, is that Alita has been dealing with seasonal affective disorder and/or depression this winter on top of her normal job stress. We've gotten one of those light boxes, which seems to help, and that's good. It had been very difficult to escape from the gloom.

Our gorgeous (sunny and 72°) day today felt very good for both of us. The run was good, too. Here's hoping we're moving in the right direction.
Durn near a heat wave, up there!  How can you handle it?? 

Ah, Washington. 

I'll volunteer to keep her spirits up at your expense (both figuratively and monetarily...I'm on your plan).  I hope she gets to feeling better.  Maybe get a mirrored ball!
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:04 pm

Don't fall into my mode - after all, Nancy and I might visit you in June.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:42 pm

Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:Don't fall into my mode - after all, Nancy and I might visit you in June.

It's about time! It'd be great to see you.

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:22 am

Mark B wrote:
Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:Don't fall into my mode - after all, Nancy and I might visit you in June.

Michele is flying into PDX on May 31st and I'm picking her up on the way to Victoria for our 70.3.  We may not have time to visit that day but we'll be back on Monday.  Not sure when her flight is on Monday...it would be fun to catch up with you before she flies out and I continue the drive home.  We should get off the ferry around noon so should arrive in Vancouver by 4:00.  We'll keep in touch and see what we can work out.

Hope that you and Alita have been able to get out and about.  I'm sure that daylight savings time and the longer evenings will help but we did get a good rain here on Tuesday so I'm sure you got wet as well.

Stay well...summer is coming...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:51 pm

As for the seasonal disorder - tell me about it as I know I suffered from it when I was in Cleveland in the winters.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:23 am

nkrichards wrote:
Mark B wrote:

Michele is flying into PDX on May 31st and I'm picking her up on the way to Victoria for our 70.3.  We may not have time to visit that day but we'll be back on Monday.  Not sure when her flight is on Monday...it would be fun to catch up with you before she flies out and I continue the drive home.  We should get off the ferry around noon so should arrive in Vancouver by 4:00.  We'll keep in touch and see what we can work out.

Hope that you and Alita have been able to get out and about.  I'm sure that daylight savings time and the longer evenings will help but we did get a good rain here on Tuesday so I'm sure you got wet as well.

Stay well...summer is coming...

I'm sure we can figure something out. That would be fun, even if it's just getting a cup of coffee somewhere.

Alita and I have both been walking on our lunch breaks when we can, and we're hopeful that we can get into a midweek running routine any. day. now. The extra light in the evenings should help, as long as we can get our bodies to not whine about pushing our dinner back an hour or so.

Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:As for the seasonal disorder - tell me about it as I know I suffered from it when I was in Cleveland in the winters.

Sorry about that, Michele. This has been a surprise for us. It never seemed to be an issue before for Alita, but it really came on strong this year. We're hoping it's seasonal affective disorder and not something more long term, but we won't really know until we get more light. Crossing my fingers.

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:34 am

Welp, this weekend didn't work out for a run. Too many distractions.

But I'm starting to feel some antsy restlessness beginning to stir. I'm choosing to take that as a good sign.

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:57 am

Mark B wrote:Welp, this weekend didn't work out for a run. Too many distractions.

But I'm starting to feel some antsy restlessness beginning to stir. I'm choosing to take that as a good sign.

Life does seem to get in the way at times...our prediction is for nice weather through Wednesday and then a few yucky days including the possibility of snow.  Hope you can take advantage of the good weather in the early part of the week.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:10 am

nkrichards wrote:
Mark B wrote:Welp, this weekend didn't work out for a run. Too many distractions.

Life does seem to get in the way at times...our prediction is for nice weather through Wednesday and then a few yucky days including the possibility of snow.  Hope you can take advantage of the good weather in the early part of the week.

You aren't kidding. This new schedule that came with my promotion gives me much better hours, but it killed all that alone time I had when I was able to run without distractions. I'm still trying to figure out how to make it work.

Case in point: Today, after dropping Alec off for school, before I got to work, I ran.

---

Lowish HR Run: 30 minutes (2.3 miles)

Weather: Partly cloudy, chilly. 37° Gear: Topos, pants, T, lighter pullover, jacket, hat, gloves.

I keep finding reasons not to run, so this morning I decided to force myself out there. The conditions were dry but the temperatures were at that too-cold-to-wear-shorts but too-warm-to-dress-warmly. So I end up freezing at the start and broiling by the end. At least it wasn't raining!

I also put on my HR strap, which went wonky due to the low temperatures at first. It settled down after a mile or so and I monitored it to see how I was doing. It was all over the place. Yep. Definitely have lost fitness.

Overall the run wasn't too bad. I walked a couple of times to get my HR down to a more reasonable level, but my first non-warmup mile was 11:24 with an average HR of 139, so that's not utterly horrible. Still, it's going to take some time to get back in the swing of things.

Walked first and last 5 minutes. Average HR for entire run: 129

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:03 am

Low HR Run: 30 minutes (2.28 miles)

Weather: Clear, 31° Gear: Topos, tights, T, pullover, jacket, hat, gloves.

I hadn't planned to do two runs in sequence, but it was a clear, beautiful morning -- and the kid got ready for school a little earlier, giving me a bit more time to run without stressing about a schedule. How could I resist?

It was a bit colder than yesterday, which was actually preferable. My colder weather gear worked just right. It is funny, with this time/distance that my body *just* starts to warm up just when it's time to stop. At the same time, I saw this other runner in just a T shirt and pants, and I still can't fathom how she wasn't freezing.

It seemed like I did a better job keeping my HR down, but the data seems to show otherwise. Hm. It doesn't help that I've got that ravine in the first mile from my house...

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:35 am

Mark B wrote:Low HR Run: 30 minutes (2.28 miles)

Weather: Clear, 31° Gear: Topos, tights, T, pullover, jacket, hat, gloves.

I hadn't planned to do two runs in sequence, but it was a clear, beautiful morning -- and the kid got ready for school a little earlier, giving me a bit more time to run without stressing about a schedule. How could I resist?

It was a bit colder than yesterday, which was actually preferable. My colder weather gear worked just right. It is funny, with this time/distance that my body *just* starts to warm up just when it's time to stop. At the same time, I saw this other runner in just a T shirt and pants, and I still can't fathom how she wasn't freezing.

It seemed like I did a better job keeping my HR down, but the data seems to show otherwise. Hm. It doesn't help that I've got that ravine in the first mile from my house...

Good to hear that you're starting to feel like you want to run again.  Hope that your schedule and the weather cooperate...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Sun Mar 25, 2018 9:50 pm

Barefoot Run: 2.5 miles

Weather: Partly cloudy, 50° Gear: Bare feet, shorts, T, windbreaker.

We'd almost made it through another weekend without running when I noticed the weather had actually gotten quite nice and my feet started itching to head out free from footwear. Alita was willing to join me.

We took a route I've never taken barefoot, so there were a few more exciting parts. Alita mentioned about halfway in that she felt self-conscious wearing shoes while I was barefoot. I thought about that a few minutes and suggested that she take her shoes off, too. She did, and seemed to enjoy it, though those exciting spots (rougher pavement) slowed her down a bit.

I wore my HR monitor and kept the effort level low.

Walked first and last 5 minutes.

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:14 am

Mark B wrote:Barefoot Run: 2.5 miles

Weather: Partly cloudy, 50° Gear: Bare feet, shorts, T, windbreaker.

We'd almost made it through another weekend without running when I noticed the weather had actually gotten quite nice and my feet started itching to head out free from footwear. Alita was willing to join me.

We took a route I've never taken barefoot, so there were a few more exciting parts. Alita mentioned about halfway in that she felt self-conscious wearing shoes while I was barefoot. I thought about that a few minutes and suggested that she take her shoes off, too. She did, and seemed to enjoy it, though those exciting spots (rougher pavement) slowed her down a bit.

I wore my HR monitor and kept the effort level low.

Walked first and last 5 minutes.

Oooh...a barefoot fun and with Alita.  Fun!  Things appear to be looking up.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:04 am

Run: 3.3 miles

Weather: Near ideal. Partly sunny, 53, a light breeze. Gear: Altras, shorts, T.

Still trying to work out how to best fit running into my day, so I decided to try something I did sometimes when I was training for marathons several years ago: Running during my lunch break at work. I have been able to disappear for about 90 minutes to eat and walk for at least several days a week, so I wanted to see how running would fit in.

The run surprised me. My legs wanted to GO. I struggled to keep my pace over a 10-minute pace, even though I could feel fatigue building and saw my HR cooking along far higher than a target low HR pace. I even walked a bit to try to calm things down, but I eventually gave in and let it go. The odd thing is, it felt like an easy pace.

Mile 1: 10:33/149 av HR
Mile 2: 10:22/152 av HR
Mile 3: 10:35/157 av HR

I actually saw my HR zip over 170 a couple of times (though it didn't feel like I was anywhere near a max effort), so it was an interesting run.

No warm up, walked 5 minutes to cool down afterward. Average HR for entire run: 150

(I ended up back at my desk 15 minutes faster than when I'd walk, so there's time to squeeze in another mile when I'm ready.)

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 33 of 40 Previous  1 ... 18 ... 32, 33, 34 ... 36 ... 40  Next