365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mulligan...

+3
KBFitz
Tim C
Michele "1L" Keane
7 posters

Page 9 of 18 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 13 ... 18  Next

Go down

Mulligan... - Page 9 Empty Re: Mulligan...

Post  nkrichards Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:56 am

Wed - Swim 2100 yards  Used the paddles to work on proper arm stroke.  It's hard to cheat with the paddles.
       - Bike 11.5 mi to/from pool

Thur - 10 mi w/8 @ 9:52  HR 156/170  Skipped Pilates this morning so that I could pick a few vegies and get going on my run before it got to hot.  It was warm and a bit smoky but not terrible.  Started a out a bit conservative but got in a nice MP run.  Pretty happy with how I felt both during and after this run.

I'm tired but not exhausted and my calf tightness is much better.  I've been better about doing my stretching and rolling...still not getting my core work in though.  We're busy on the farm but I'm able to schedule the times I help so that I can still get my training and office work done.  That may change shortly as we're cutting alfalfa again.  Not sure how in the world we're going to get enough dew to bale in this heat!  It needed to be cut so we didn't have much choice.

My resting HR is still a bit higher than I'd like to see it but I'm starting to understand it a bit better.  The device I wear records your resting HR during the day...it doesn't count during the time you're sleeping.  On days that I'm in the tractor, in the garden, or in the kitchen canning all day and don't have time to sit and relax it is higher...not a huge surprise.  I can look and see what it is during sleep and as long as it still comes down overnight I'm not to worried.  It's only a few beats higher on those hectic days.  If/when it's sky high during the day and/or doesn't come back down during sleep I'll worry.  For now I'll just watch it.

Gary officially won the corn contest this year.  He showed up last night with an ear of corn and the biggest grin you've ever seen.  It was worth losing just to see that grin!

Ultreya...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:05 pm

That RHR explanation is good to know and adjust the thinking.  Under that scenario, I'd say 54 is pretty durn good for a daylight pulse.  So dipping into the 40's in the daylight is better, it would seem to me.

Just imagine how your cardiologist is crowing to his buddies about you.

How long are the ears for y'all and has the length changed much over the past 30 years or so?  I seem to remember ears of corn in the '60s and '70s to be longer and a bit bigger around than now by 2"-3" in length.  Even 20 years ago, they were longer because I had to angle it into the pot I was using to boil them.  Now, I have plenty of room.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:01 am

ounce wrote:That RHR explanation is good to know and adjust the thinking.  Under that scenario, I'd say 54 is pretty durn good for a daylight pulse.  So dipping into the 40's in the daylight is better, it would seem to me.

Just imagine how your cardiologist is crowing to his buddies about you.

How long are the ears for y'all and has the length changed much over the past 30 years or so?  I seem to remember ears of corn in the '60s and '70s to be longer and a bit bigger around than now by 2"-3" in length.  Even 20 years ago, they were longer because I had to angle it into the pot I was using to boil them.  Now, I have plenty of room.
The RHR is interesting to follow and I am still learning.  My average for the week is 53 (50,55,56,55,54,53,52).  4 week average is also 53.  12 month average is 50 but I didn't get the Vivosmart until December so it's not a full year and the first 2-3 months I was still on the beta blocker.  I am encouraged by the fact that during sleep my HR still usually drops into the 45-49 range.

Gary brought us corn for dinner last night.  I think you're right about the ears being shorter and smaller than they were when we were kids.  It's varietal not a climatic thing.  The old Golden Jubilee ears were long and large.  We usually plant Bodacious now.  They breed for sweetness and also for shelf life I think.  There are so many varieties that it gets confusing.  We used to plant an early maturing corn but it tends to cross pollinate with the later corn and that messes up the later corn which is better to eat so we just plant later corn and wait for it to mature.  We do plant it in 2 or 3 stages so that we spread out the maturation a bit but the weather always evens it out somewhat.  We just grow it for our own use and to give to friends and neighbors.  I do can some for winter use as well. 

Up at 5:00 for a quick breakfast before raking hay yesterday.  I was able to lace up the shoes and get out for my run a bit before 8:00.  It was still in the low 60's but it was warming up fast.  This was supposed to be a step back week but last week I was forced to step back to recover from my triathlon so I flipped weeks.  I was looking at a 16-18 mile long run.  I was prepared to adjust as needed.  I was amazed at how well the first 15 miles went.  I was plugging away at a very even pace (11:02) and maintaining a HR below 150.  That changed quickly during mile 15.  My HR started to rise and I started to experience chills.  I decided to walk down my HR and take some extra time to hydrate and then resumed a slow jog.  I still wasn't feeling well so at the end of mile 17 I pulled the plug and walked in the last mile.  Checked the temperature on my phone as I walked in...it was 81 degrees and the slight breeze and minimal shade I'd been enjoying early in the run was essentially gone.

End result was 18 miles @ 11:37 with the first 15.5 @ 11:02 and the first 17 miles @ 11:10.  HR ended up averaging 150 with a max of 174.  I'm not at all disappointed in this run.  Yes, I would have liked to complete the full 18 miles at the pace I maintained for the first 15 but all things considered it was a good run.  Pre-cardiac event I probably would have pushed it...and then struggled to recover.  I took it easy the rest of the day but recovered well and feel good this morning.

Rest/recovery day today.  We're going to try and make it an easy day on the farm as well.  We're all tired.

Ultreya...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Sun Aug 06, 2017 4:12 pm

Nice job on the run and good job for pulling the plug when you did. No need to bake yourself out there!

I know market forces drive these things, but I've disliked corn on the cob ever since growers switched to the sweeter varieties. 

Good idea for the rest day. I think all of us are a little worn out with the heat wave.

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:09 am

Mark B wrote:Nice job on the run and good job for pulling the plug when you did. No need to bake yourself out there!

I know market forces drive these things, but I've disliked corn on the cob ever since growers switched to the sweeter varieties. 

Good idea for the rest day. I think all of us are a little worn out with the heat wave.

I don't disagree at all on your corn preference.  Some of it is ridiculously sweet now days.  If I understand everything correctly the sweeter it is the shorter the shelf life is.  Bodacious isn't one of the super sweet ones and to be perfectly honest we still grow it because it was Dad's favorite.  We can't quite bring ourselves to change varieties.

So...very interesting lesson.  In addition to Saturday being my longest run since CIM in December, last week at 36 miles was my most weekly mileage since last fall.  In fact my second best week was 30 miles and that was 9 weeks ago.  I was a bit concerned that I may have pushed a bit to hard a bit to fast especially in the heat.  Sunday was supposed to be a rest day and we've been busy on the farm, tired, and hot so Marty and I both decided to take it pretty easy.  I did a couple things in the garden and tidied up a bit around the house but we grilled hot dogs at the pond with the kids and watched a movie afterwards.  This morning I checked my RHR.  It was 47!  Wow, the human body is an amazing thing.  It dropped to 45 overnight during sleep but the Vivosmart recorded 47 for my waking RHR for Sunday.  I don't expect it to stay that low but it was sure good to see it recover so well so quickly!

Today was a hectic day.  My brother brought us a load of wood this morning,  Marty and I ran to Bend, and then I made dill pickles.  I decided not to worry about swimming or biking but did manage to set aside enough time to do my core/strength workout.  I haven't done it for several weeks so I cut back on the reps.  I'm curious how sore I'll be in the morning.

13 weeks till my marathon...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:42 pm

Pleasantly surprised to wake up and see that the Vivosmart had recorded my RHR for yesterday at 47.  Nice!  I don't expect it to last.  I ran today.

6.5 mi w/6x800 (400 rest)  Avg. 4:26 (@ 8:51 pace)  HR 153/169  Skipped Pilates this morning so I could run before it got to warm.  It was still pretty warm but comfortable.  I can tell that I did my core/strength last night.  I'm not sore but I can tell.  It took me a while to get into a good rhythm for this run but I ended up hitting my goal paces very well while maintaining a reasonable HR. 

We're all tired of these temperatures.  It was supposed to be a bit cooler today but the heat seems oppressive when I go outside.  We're still managing to get most of our farm work done but we haven't been able to bale.  We need an early morning dew in the worst way.  They are now predicting rain next week...I just hope we can get a couple good days of baling in before the rain arrives!

I read an awesome story in Runner's World about Amy Frohnmayer while waiting for Marty at his doctor appointment yesterday.  Her family was in the news in Oregon often and she lived in Bend for a while so I knew a lot of her story but I was still impressed.  What a great attitude!  It makes me realize how truly blessed I am.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:31 pm

Pleasantly surprised again this morning when I checked my RHR and it was 48.  That's three days in a row under 50...after my most miles in a week since last Fall(????)  It's still hot and smoky and I wouldn't have been surprised at all if my RHR was high this week.  I have been a bit less busy on the farm but I'm still helping out and keeping up with the garden and canning.  I'm NOT complaining!

It was getting late and it was really smoky today so I opted to drive to swimming.  2350 yards.  All fins.  I didn't even feel a twinge of cramping and I maintained a good steady pace.  I've been trying to take an S-cap and Endurolyte before swimming and before running when it's hot.  I don't know if that's the difference but it sure is nice not to have to deal with cramping.

I'm ready for this smoke and heat to be done...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:54 pm

Great news on the RHR! And yeah, I think we'd all be happy if it'd cool off and clear out. It's like inland Southern California on this side of the mountain -- very smoggy and hot. Yuck! There's a possible change in the weather coming this weekend, but we'll see.

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:26 pm

Mark B wrote:Great news on the RHR! And yeah, I think we'd all be happy if it'd cool off and clear out. It's like inland Southern California on this side of the mountain -- very smoggy and hot. Yuck! There's a possible change in the weather coming this weekend, but we'll see.

RHR 47 again.  Woohoo.  I think this may be the last nice low day.  Tough run today!

I've been a bit stiff/sore/tired since I did my core/strength workout Monday night.  Swimming yesterday helped as did Pilates this morning but I knew this was going to be a tough run.  Then I got a much later start than I had hoped and it got HOT.  71 at the start and 80 at the finish.  I struggled to say the least.  I toyed with cutting it short but I don't want to make a habit of quitting so I slowed a bit and trudged on.  Plan was for 10 w/8 @ MP(9:55-10:00).  Close but no cigar.

10 mi w/8 @ 10:13  HR 157/171 

WU 11:14 (HR 136)
1 - 10:12 (147)
2 - 10:08 (153)
3 - 10:17 (155)
4 - 10:07 (155)
5 - 10:31 (161) Took some extra time for water and GU
6 - 10:15 (159)
7 - 10:24 (163)
8 -   9:46 (165)
CD 12:51 (158) walk/jog

I was struggling during mile 5 and walked a bit longer than normal to make sure I got enough water down.  This is when I was contemplating cutting the run short/quitting as I was back at home.  I decided to go on and did OK in mile 6 but mile 7 was tough.  In hindsight it appears that it was more of a mental struggle than a physical one as once I turned back towards home for that last mile I still had some energy to spare.

I felt fine after the run.

Ultreya...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:09 pm

WOW...what just happened?

I'm running Hood to Coast in two weeks!  Running And going to Nepal in 3 months! cheers

I got a call from oldest son, Gary.  The local HTC team was short a runner due to injury.  This is something I've always wanted to do but the team is all young...Gary's age...and a few of them were quite wild.  I was afraid I'd cramp their style and make them feel uncomfortable.  As it works out, this year they are all quieter "kids" that I know and they all seem pleased to have me join them.  I'll take it easy so as not to compromise marathon training.  I'm excited!

And then there's the Nepal trip.  I booked a trekking trip a few months back but it's later in the season to accommodate Marty's farming/hunting schedule and they weren't sure they would have enough participants to make it happen.  I got an e-mail letting me know that it was on and that I could book our flights.  It's hard to get to Kathmandu!  This is a bucket list trip for me.

So...training...I missed swimming on Friday as we finally got enough dew (maybe a sprinkle) to bale some hay.  We got 30 acres done and have 60 left.  It was too wet this morning and we waited...and waited...and waited...and then the wind came up and it was to dry.  Darn it...I should have gone for my run.  So today turned into another rest day.  It should be cooler tomorrow so I'll try to run even if I have to run after we bale.

Hope the cooler weather arrives...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:49 pm

Boy, you're going to be busy in the last quarter!

I'm pleased you'll get to scratch through a bucket list item, too.  Keep at it.

Thanks for the info on the corn.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:53 am

I see you made the decision to run HTC!  It is a lot of fun - jsut don't get caught up in the stress over traffic, etc and enjoy.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:57 pm

HTC and Nepal?! You've got "epic" dialed in this year! 

Try to not show up the kids too much out there in two weeks. What a Face

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:05 am

ounce wrote:Boy, you're going to be busy in the last quarter!

I'm pleased you'll get to scratch through a bucket list item, too.  Keep at it.

Thanks for the info on the corn.
Oh I'm always busy Doug!  The funny thing is that even though HTC and Nepal are both bucket list items for me, they aren't an my actual bucket list.  Way back in 2007 a couple weeks after completing my first 5K I read an article about a lady that made a "60 things to do before I'm 60" list.  So I sat down and made my 60 list.  It's quite interesting as I made it before I became a runner.  I've made good progress but I will not finish all 60 items before next year.  I'll share it here after my birthday.

Michele "1L" Keane
I see you made the decision to run HTC!  It is a lot of fun - jsut don't get caught up in the stress over traffic, etc and enjoy.
I plan to sit back and enjoy it.  I'll run my legs but I'll let the younger, experienced relay runners worry about the traffic and the logistics.  I'm sure that the 5 of them will provide plenty of entertainment over the course of the event.

Mark B
HTC and Nepal?! You've got "epic" dialed in this year! 

Try to not show up the kids too much out there in two weeks. What a Face
Oh Mark at this point in my life every year should be an epic year...you never know how many years you have left to get these things done!  In all seriousness, while I don't really stress over my mortality it does cross my mind occasionally.  I'm not getting any younger and I want to make sure that I get the physically demanding bucket list items done while I can still enjoy them. 

And don't forget that if all goes well I'll be including another BQ in this epic year!

So...after farming interfered with training on both Friday and Saturday I was looking forward to getting in a nice long run (16 miles) on Sunday.  We woke up to rain.  Katie and niece Claire had camped at the pond overnight in hopes of getting a good look at the meteor shower.  They both came in out of the rain for a cup of coffee and Kevin showed up as well.  So I did what every good Mom should.  I made Belgian waffles with Huckleberries for everyone.  And then it was 10:00.  Change of plans.

AM - 10 miles @ 10:31 HR 155/171  65 degrees at the start and 70 degrees at the finish but it felt warm.  I ran this way to fast!!!!
PM - 10 miles @ 10:44 HR 148/164  72 degrees with a nice cooling breeze (translation headwind).  I slowed this down a bit but still ran it to fast.

Not sure if that counts as a 20 mile marathon training run but it should be good practice for HTC and it was what I could fit into my schedule.  I'm tired this morning but feel fine....don't feel any different than I would expect to feel after a long run.  I'm a bit concerned about the pace I ran...apparently easy running is not my strong suit.

Update on RHR.  It's back to where I expected it to be.  7 day average is 51 but the last two days it was 55.  Odd that it was high after those two days of no training.  Just goes to show that mental stress has just as much or more influence on it than physical stress.

Ultreya...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:13 pm

I'd say doing 10 in the morning and 10 in the evening is a real good trainer for HTC.  I've done 3-200 mile team relay events and those runs will be helpful for your mind.

Did Augie stay with the girls or is he a home-at-night kind of pup?
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:03 pm

ounce wrote:I'd say doing 10 in the morning and 10 in the evening is a real good trainer for HTC.  I've done 3-200 mile team relay events and those runs will be helpful for your mind.

Did Augie stay with the girls or is he a home-at-night kind of pup?

I did the double on Sunday partially because I just didn't have time to do the 16 all at once but the idea of doing it for HTC did cross my mind.  I always run in the morning...after breakfast...so an evening run was probably a good experience.  Next I need to practice doing a run before the sun comes up.  Gary brought down his reflective vest and headlamp for me to practice with.

Augie stayed home...Katie has two dogs and we figured that was enough.  It was to cloudy to see the meteors...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:01 pm

What a week...but the hay is in the shed!

Mon - Swim 2000 yds.  I was pooped after my double on Sunday so I took it easy.  I ended up swimming with Janice which was fun for both of us.  I'd forgotten how much we enjoyed swimming together. (Starting our intervals together rather than just doing an independent workout at the same time.)

Tues - Pilates followed by farming.

Wed - Swim 1900 yds.  We finished baling.  Woohoo!  But I was late.  Cut the warmup a bit short but the workout was a blast.  Hard to explain but we did 100 yards with a paddle on our left hand and a fin on our right foot.  Then we switched to the opposite hand/foot and did 100 yards.  Then we geared up with paddles and fins on both hands/feet for 100 yards.  Then we ditched the gear and swam a fast 100.  Then we repeated the cycle 3 more times.  It's amazing how the paddles/fins can help you identify flaws in your technique...

Thur - AM 6.5 mi w/3x1 (800 rest)  Avg 8:54  HR 152/168  Struggled to find my rhythm but once I did this run went very well.
       - PM 3 miles easy.  The goal was to run in the dark and try out the reflective vest and headlamp.  I got tired of waiting for the darkness and just took off for an easy run.  It got dark before I got home but I didn't have the gear!  Ooops.  No trouble keeping this run easy.  My legs kept asking me what in the world we were doing after running intervals in the morning.  HR 135...nice!

Fri - I planned to run this morning but quickly realized that would be asking way to much from my body.  I may do a short easy run tonight...or not.  I plan to participate in the Eagle Bakery run in the morning and will run to/from the bakery (to avoid traffic and parking issues) in addition to the group run so I'll get plenty of miles.

Life is good...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:33 pm

May I presume with 1 paddle and 1 fin that the bare hand and foot is still involved in the overall stroke?

Those durn legs and what they think!
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:04 pm

The CBS Evening News has a reporter in a field in Madras where a WHOLE bunch of campers are, either at or near, NASA's production location.  There was a hot air balloon with a 30 feet tether.  Yeah, looks like a Ugandan refugee center, except with green grass, roads, and a mountain or two.

Good luck in hiding.  I'll be curious how much trash and vehicle ruts are left after your new friends have skeedaddled.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:41 pm

ounce wrote:May I presume with 1 paddle and 1 fin that the bare hand and foot is still involved in the overall stroke?

Those durn legs and what they think!
Yes, we used all our limbs for this workout...although we often do one where we kick with both feet but only use one arm...

ounce
The CBS Evening News has a reporter in a field in Madras where a WHOLE bunch of campers are, either at or near, NASA's production location.  There was a hot air balloon with a 30 feet tether.  Yeah, looks like a Ugandan refugee center, except with green grass, roads, and a mountain or two.

Good luck in hiding.  I'll be curious how much trash and vehicle ruts are left after your new friends have skeedaddled.

I ran to Eagle Bakery yesterday morning as I expected the traffic to be terrible and the parking spots all filled.  Nope...it was eerily quiet in town.  In fact during a group run we came across a reporter from the UK.  We stopped to chat and he interviewed and filmed us.  I guess a group of joggers on a Saturday morning was the most exciting thing going on. 

Not so much today.  The crowds have arrived.  I guess it's going smoothly for the most part but there have been a few terrible incidents...a plane crash and a fatal car accident.  We're enjoying the festivities from afar.  We can see one of the campgrounds and the hot air balloons when they go up.  We're on the southeast side of Madras and are enjoying clear skies.  The area where the majority of the camps are located is on the northwest side and they were pretty socked in with smoke from the wildfires earlier today.  I'm surprised you could see the mountains on the news...maybe it's better than it was this morning.  We're doing family stuff that involves food this evening as soon as the boys finish changing water and will all get together to watch the eclipse and then have lunch tomorrow.

Sat - Eagle Bakery group run.  11 mi @ 10:38  This run consisted of 4.6 miles  @ 10:48 to get to the bakery.  Some socializing.  2.5 mile group run @ 9:50 interrupted by a TV interview.  More socializing while enjoying our cinnamon rolls.  4 miles @ 11:00ish to get home.  Definitely a social run!

I had hoped to get in 15-20 miles at a decent pace without to much of a break in between.  Not the case so I decided to see how a long run on Sunday morning would go...

Sun - 20 mi @ 10:51  HR 142/160  It went well to say the least.  Awesome pace at a great HR especially considering the fact that I ran 11 miles the day before.  I struggled to rehydrate afterwards but felt good once I did.  I will admit that my legs are talking to me...again!  They are not happy.  Tomorrow will be a rest day...unless I decide to go for a short bike ride.

So I just read something that I think my family would agree describes me and my training very well...especially after the past few days. 

"If it requires strength, stamina, and a lack of better judgement, I'm game."

Next up Total Eclipse....
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:49 pm

Eclipse update...the excitement is over and tens of thousands of people are trying to leave Madras.  The main roads in/out of town are a parking lot and the small local airport is just as congested.  In addition to dealing with the crowds that came to watch the eclipse we had:

• a house fire
  • brush fires
  • car accidents
  • a plane crash
  • and A BANK ROBBERY

Based on what I've heard so far we handled it all as well as could be expected.  The community did a lot of planning and it appears that it all paid off.

Our experience was generally a good one but it only takes one bad apple to spoil the whole barrel.  We woke up this morning and discovered uninvited guests parked in a dry grass field cooking breakfast on an open fire.  We politely pointed out the danger involved and asked them to leave.  They did but they were not happy.  The area was well posted as a private area and the danger was quite evident.  So we blocked the entrance to the field with a large 800 pound bale of hay.  The next uninvited guest simply backed up to the bale and shoved it out of the way with his bumper.  Fortunately he stayed in the dirt/gravel driveway and didn't do much damage.  We had several cars park on the edge of the road but they were safely off the road and not damaging the field so we just left them alone.  We did have one large SUV and trailer that tried to turn around in a newly planted and recently irrigated field.  We were able to get them stopped before they did significant damage.  Apparently some people thought that the sign indicating that it was private property with no public access applied to others but not to them.  Most of the people followed the rules and were polite...as I said it was just a few bad apples.

The eclipse itself was pretty awesome.  We had given our accountant and his friend who is an amateur astronomer permission to camp for the event.  He brought glasses for us and set up binoculars with a filter so we could get a better look.  We had a bit of wildfire smoke early in the morning but it was mostly clear when the eclipse started.  He was quite informative and it was fun to get that extra bit of information.  It didn't get as dark as I expected but it was definitely dark for about 2 minutes.  It got quite cold...I wasn't expecting that.  The coyotes howled and the crowds parked on the hills above us cheered.  It was pretty cool to be in the center of it all.  I wouldn't travel to see another eclipse but I'm glad I was able to experience this one.

Back to training tomorrow...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:33 pm

nkrichards wrote:
Our experience was generally a good one but it only takes one bad apple to spoil the whole barrel.  We woke up this morning and discovered uninvited guests parked in a dry grass field cooking breakfast on an open fire.  We politely pointed out the danger involved and asked them to leave.  They did but they were not happy.  The area was well posted as a private area and the danger was quite evident.  So we blocked the entrance to the field with a large 800 pound bale of hay.  The next uninvited guest simply backed up to the bale and shoved it out of the way with his bumper.  Fortunately he stayed in the dirt/gravel driveway and didn't do much damage.  We had several cars park on the edge of the road but they were safely off the road and not damaging the field so we just left them alone.  We did have one large SUV and trailer that tried to turn around in a newly planted and recently irrigated field.  We were able to get them stopped before they did significant damage.  Apparently some people thought that the sign indicating that it was private property with no public access applied to others but not to them.  Most of the people followed the rules and were polite...as I said it was just a few bad apples.

The eclipse itself was pretty awesome.  We had given our accountant and his friend who is an amateur astronomer permission to camp for the event.  He brought glasses for us and set up binoculars with a filter so we could get a better look.  We had a bit of wildfire smoke early in the morning but it was mostly clear when the eclipse started.  He was quite informative and it was fun to get that extra bit of information.  It didn't get as dark as I expected but it was definitely dark for about 2 minutes.  It got quite cold...I wasn't expecting that.  The coyotes howled and the crowds parked on the hills above us cheered.  It was pretty cool to be in the center of it all.  I wouldn't travel to see another eclipse but I'm glad I was able to experience this one.

Back to training tomorrow...
Boy, I thought the self-entitlement attitude was just a Houston thing.

With all the traffic that y'all had, I think for the 2024 one through Texas, that I'll fly to Austin or Dallas that morning, go up to the top of a parking garage, see it, then hop the jet back to Houston.  It does appear the eclipse isn't going to be late with the weather the only wild card.

Your mayor did a good job on national TV and was patient with the CBS reporter who kept on asking questions with a minute to go until totality.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:33 pm

Glad you got through it all unscathed. I was wondering with all that property you have if you'd have a few uninvited guests. Glad you didn't have too many problems.

We drove to the little town of Dallas, Ore., about 15 miles west of Salem in the Willamette Valley, to see the eclipse. We drove down at 10:30 p.m. Sunday night, worried about morning traffic, slept in our car in a parking lot that had a porta-potty in it, then watched the events in the town square. It was amazingly cool to see. Our drive back was much slower and circuitous, winding around on farm roads trying to avoid the crowds using our Waze app. It seems that app sent the population of Cincinnati on that same "time saving" route, though! Laughing

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:25 am

Mark B wrote:Glad you got through it all unscathed. I was wondering with all that property you have if you'd have a few uninvited guests. Glad you didn't have too many problems.

We drove to the little town of Dallas, Ore., about 15 miles west of Salem in the Willamette Valley, to see the eclipse. We drove down at 10:30 p.m. Sunday night, worried about morning traffic, slept in our car in a parking lot that had a porta-potty in it, then watched the events in the town square. It was amazingly cool to see. Our drive back was much slower and circuitous, winding around on farm roads trying to avoid the crowds using our Waze app. It seems that app sent the population of Cincinnati on that same "time saving" route, though! Laughing

All things considered it went pretty smoothly...could have been a lot worse.  Most of the people were polite and considerate but we did have a few of those self-entitled individuals that Doug mentioned.

Our traffic kind of trickled in over several days and a lot of people showed up Sunday night like you did.  Leaving was a zoo!  The roads were a parking lot and the traffic apps had people driving on dirt roads that aren't really public roads...they are meant for use by the irrigation district employees.   Our main roads are smaller and we don't have as many options to get past wrecks etc because of the rivers and mountains.  I heard a lot of people missed flights out of PDX as they just couldn't get there.  I haven't ventured into town yet but I need to go in today.  Marty said that yesterday traffic was still very heavy and moving slow.

Update on the bank robbery...they have a suspect.  He's a local with a long history of offenses.  They have a pretty positive ID but hadn't located him last I heard.  It is kind of funny.  He walked in and the teller recognized him as they both grew up in this area.

Tues - 11 mi w/9 @ 9:53  HR 154/171  I had a bit of an upset stomach so didn't get an early start.  I was a bit tired anyway.  My legs grumbled during the entire run but my head/heart won out and I got this done at/under marathon pace.  I struggled a bit in miles 5 and 6 but once the GU took affect I finished well.  I'm pretty pooped today.  I was on my feet in the kitchen most of the day after my run and my legs are not real happy with me.

I'll swim later today but won't ride my bike as it's quite smoky today and I have errands to run in town.  I think I've been pushing a bit harder than I should on my runs.  My paces have probably been a bit to fast.  It's encouraging that those paces are attainable but I need to be cautious.  Hood to Coast is Friday/Saturday.  I'll try and get in a short very easy run tonight or tomorrow morning as I haven't experienced running in the dark yet. 

Ultreya...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:13 pm

Mark B wrote:Glad you got through it all unscathed. I was wondering with all that property you have if you'd have a few uninvited guests. Glad you didn't have too many problems.

We have a little town in these parts called 'Dallas,' too.  In fact, it's going to be in the 2024 Zone of Totality, too!  Although I've seen a few different path widths where San Antonio is in and out.

Look me up in a few years and maybe I'll try to find a Total Eclipse Dallas, Texas shirt.
nkrichards wrote:

All things considered it went pretty smoothly...could have been a lot worse.  Most of the people were polite and considerate but we did have a few of those self-entitled individuals that Doug mentioned.

Our traffic kind of trickled in over several days and a lot of people showed up Sunday night like you did.  Leaving was a zoo!  The roads were a parking lot and the traffic apps had people driving on dirt roads that aren't really public roads...they are meant for use by the irrigation district employees.   Our main roads are smaller and we don't have as many options to get past wrecks etc because of the rivers and mountains.  I heard a lot of people missed flights out of PDX as they just couldn't get there.  I haven't ventured into town yet but I need to go in today.  Marty said that yesterday traffic was still very heavy and moving slow.

Update on the bank robbery...they have a suspect.  He's a local with a long history of offenses.  They have a pretty positive ID but hadn't located him last I heard.  It is kind of funny.  He walked in and the teller recognized him as they both grew up in this area.

Tues - 11 mi w/9 @ 9:53  HR 154/171  I had a bit of an upset stomach so didn't get an early start.  I was a bit tired anyway.  My legs grumbled during the entire run but my head/heart won out and I got this done at/under marathon pace.  I struggled a bit in miles 5 and 6 but once the GU took affect I finished well.  I'm pretty pooped today.  I was on my feet in the kitchen most of the day after my run and my legs are not real happy with me.

I'll swim later today but won't ride my bike as it's quite smoky today and I have errands to run in town.  I think I've been pushing a bit harder than I should on my runs.  My paces have probably been a bit to fast.  It's encouraging that those paces are attainable but I need to be cautious.  Hood to Coast is Friday/Saturday.  I'll try and get in a short very easy run tonight or tomorrow morning as I haven't experienced running in the dark yet. 

Ultreya...
That bank robbery sounds like a candidate for a Stupid Criminals show.

I'd rest prior to HTC because you're going to be tired, unless you get 2-4 hours sleep during the night.

Good luck, nonetheless!
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 9 of 18 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 13 ... 18  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum