365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mulligan...

+3
KBFitz
Tim C
Michele "1L" Keane
7 posters

Page 8 of 18 Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 13 ... 18  Next

Go down

Mulligan... - Page 8 Empty Re: Mulligan...

Post  nkrichards Sun Jul 02, 2017 1:38 pm

Mark B wrote:I just carefully read your long post and account of your week.

All I can say is, can I be you when I grow up?

Seriously. I have never seen (or dreamed of) such a thoroughly well thiught-out plan for any sort of event. I guess that's what comes after thinking through so many years of farming. I am legitimately, honestly awed.

And to top it off, it sounds like a great plan! It plays to your strengths and is ambitious but realistic. I see no reason this plan won't work out wonderfully for you. I'm excited to see the pieces come together.

Thanks Mark.  The question is can I execute the plan and then will the stars align on race day?  I'm going to need to remember to be dedicated but flexible.  I'm nervous but excited!

Fri - Bike 11.5 to/from pool
     - Swim 2550 yds.  Tough workout.  Wasn't quite able to maintain the paces I wanted but I came close enough.

Sat - 6.5 w/3x1  Avg 8:58 HR 155/175  Up at 4:00 to bale.  Wasn't able to lace up my shoes till 10:00 and it was already warm 70-75 degrees with a very slight breeze.  Started this run cautiously with the knowledge that I could bunch it if necessary.  It actually went better than expected.  I did have to walk/jog my cool down as my HR wasn't recovering as quickly as I wanted

Sun - Looks like today is actually going to be a rest day.  Up early to bale but there wasn't enough dew so I did some odd chores in the yard/garden.  I should work in the office but...

So here's the plan.  It's in writing but not written in stone.

I started with the plan that Coach Cherie helped me put together in 2013 and then tweaked it a bit.  I'm now swimming 3 days a week instead of 2 and also have Pilates in the mix.  My marathon was the same week so she had shuffled training around the Todd Beamer 10K and the MAC Dash but I also have the triathlon coming up in 3 weeks.  It's a challenging plan complicated by the fact that we've got a lot of hay to put up in the next month and I still play a major role in that task.  FLEXIBLE

Intervals are Hanson style and include a 1 mile warm up and a 1 mile cool down.  I do them on the road to simulate race conditions so paces aren't as fast as they might be if I was doing them on the track.  Most of the rest is pretty self explanatory.

Mulligan... - Page 8 Indy_t11
Two weeks down...18 to go...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:34 pm

Mission accomplished.

After a fairly normal week of training last week and the usual rest day on Sunday I started a one day taper for my 10K.  Monday was 2 miles easy with 4 x 30 second striders. 

10K on Tuesday went extremely well.  54:37 for a pace of 8:52.  The first 4 miles are downhill on gravel and include leaping over a cattle guard and dodging cow pies.  Kept my pace at a comfortable 9:00.  Picked up the speed a bit when I hit the pavement even though it was a slight incline.  Last mile was 8:32 and final sprint 7:41.  More importantly I felt good today and was able to jump right back into training.  Yes, I was a bit tired last night but no more than I normally am after a nice tempo run.  This event is an awesome community event in memory of a young man who drowned in the irrigation ditch while trying to save his dog 20 years ago.  His Dad, the local doctor in town, puts on the event in his memory and donates the proceeds to a scholarship fund.  This is what small communities are all about!

I chose not to bike to the pool today for several reasons.  I wanted to make sure I was fully recovered.  It was hot.  I was running late as I baled again this morning...and the morning of the race. Laughing    But the swim went very well!  I have an easy run in the training plan but if I'm still feeling this good and it isn't to hot when I get out there I may sneak in a bit of faster stuff...I'll wait and see.  If a one day taper worked then why not just one of day recovery?  I won't get to carried away.

Ultreya...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Tim C Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:45 pm

Nancy,

Sounds like things are going well for you.  I keep threatening to start swimming as I know it would be good for me but I procrastinate....
Keep up the good work - it is motivating to read about your training!

Train smart and stay healthy...
Tim C
Tim C
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Sat Jul 08, 2017 4:03 pm

Tim C wrote:Nancy,

Sounds like things are going well for you.  I keep threatening to start swimming as I know it would be good for me but I procrastinate....

Thanks Tim.  I do enjoy the swimming...never thought I would but I do.  Partially because now I swim with a group and we have a coach.  Not only has it helped me start to transition into triathlons but I also find that it's a healthy recovery workout during marathon training.

Doing my best to train smart and stay healthy...

Thur - 5 mi @ 11:12  HR 143/160  I resisted the temptation to sneak in some up tempo miles and stuck with the 5 miles at an easy pace as written in the training plan.  I was after 11:00 and already over 75 degrees and shade was limited.  I'm doing better in the heat now that I'm off the beta blocker but I don't need to tempt fate! 

Fri - Swim 2650 yards.  Getting up at 4:00 am to bale is really taking it's toll.  As is sitting in a tractor for extended hours.  I wanted to get moving but didn't feel up to biking to the pool.  I intended to just make this a short easy swim but after the warm up I was starting to feel pretty good.  This was an endurance type workout with longer intervals.  The goal was to swim them faster as the workout progressed.  I had to work at it but I did pretty well until the last interval.  I bonked.  Tim's comment when I finally touched the wall was that it looked like I needed some caloric intake!  Oh well...I did it and I felt fine afterwards.  It was nice to get moving.

Sat - Bike 12 miles @ 15.8 mph HR 136/157  This bike ride went surprisingly well!  I had planned on a bike(20)/run(5) brick workout this morning but it got late and hot and I knew that running in that heat would not be a good option.  It's supposed to be considerably cooler and I shouldn't have to bale as long in the morning so I can get an earlier start.  I haven't biked all week so I decided to do a shorter bike ride today and then a slightly shorter brick workout tomorrow. 

We didn't have to get up until 5:00 this morning.  It's amazing how much better I felt after getting a full 8 hours of sleep!  Should get a full 8 hours again tonight. cheers

My triathlon is in two weeks...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Sun Jul 09, 2017 12:37 am

nkrichards wrote:

Thanks Tim.  I do enjoy the swimming...never thought I would but I do.  Partially because now I swim with a group and we have a coach.  Not only has it helped me start to transition into triathlons but I also find that it's a healthy recovery workout during marathon training.

Thur - 5 mi @ 11:12  HR 143/160  I resisted the temptation to sneak in some up tempo miles and stuck with the 5 miles at an easy pace as written in the training plan.  I was after 11:00 and already over 75 degrees and shade was limited.  I'm doing better in the heat now that I'm off the beta blocker but I don't need to tempt fate! 

Fri - Swim 2650 yards.  Getting up at 4:00 am to bale is really taking it's toll.  As is sitting in a tractor for extended hours.  I wanted to get moving but didn't feel up to biking to the pool.  I intended to just make this a short easy swim but after the warm up I was starting to feel pretty good.  This was an endurance type workout with longer intervals.  The goal was to swim them faster as the workout progressed.  I had to work at it but I did pretty well until the last interval.  I bonked.  Tim's comment when I finally touched the wall was that it looked like I needed some caloric intake!  Oh well...I did it and I felt fine afterwards.  It was nice to get moving.

Sat - Bike 12 miles @ 15.8 mph HR 136/157  This bike ride went surprisingly well!  I had planned on a bike(20)/run(5) brick workout this morning but it got late and hot and I knew that running in that heat would not be a good option.  It's supposed to be considerably cooler and I shouldn't have to bale as long in the morning so I can get an earlier start.  I haven't biked all week so I decided to do a shorter bike ride today and then a slightly shorter brick workout tomorrow. 

We didn't have to get up until 5:00 this morning.  It's amazing how much better I felt after getting a full 8 hours of sleep!  Should get a full 8 hours again tonight. cheers

Two weeks! You must be getting excited. You're training has been going great, and I think all the farmwork only makes you tougher.

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:20 am

Mark B wrote:
nkrichards wrote:

Two weeks! You must be getting excited. You're training has been going great, and I think all the farmwork only makes you tougher.

I am getting excited...and nervous.  It sounded like a great idea when I signed up.  And July 22nd seemed like such a long way off.  But yes, my training has gone well and it's kind of a nice break/distraction before I really jump into the really long marathon training runs.

Feeling slightly more rested after getting a few nights of 8 hours of sleep.  This morning I had a slight reprieve as we didn't bale which will give me time to get the bills paid and in the mail this morning.

My postponed brick workout went exceptionally well yesterday.  I was able to head out just before 9:00.  It was already 70 degrees and 76 by the time I finished but it was tolerable.  I ended up biking 12 miles @ 16.3 and then running 5 miles @ 9:42.  Very happy with those paces!  HR on the bike was 145.  HR on the run was 159.  My HR was a bit slow to recover...I'm sure the heat was the issue but it settled down once I cooled of and hydrated. 

I'll try and concentrate on getting a few good runs in this week which is going to be tough with our baling schedule but I'll do what I can.  I'll back off a bit next week...not a full taper but I don't want to go into the triathlon completely exhausted.

Payroll and bills is next on the agenda.

Ultreya...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:10 pm

Looks like the training is going well.  I did my 2nd ever IM 70.3 this past weekend in Muncie, IN - so I can relate to tri training along with marathon training.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Tue Jul 11, 2017 3:54 pm

nkrichards wrote:
Mark B wrote:
nkrichards wrote:

I am getting excited...and nervous.  It sounded like a great idea when I signed up.  And July 22nd seemed like such a long way off.  But yes, my training has gone well and it's kind of a nice break/distraction before I really jump into the really long marathon training runs.

Feeling slightly more rested after getting a few nights of 8 hours of sleep.  This morning I had a slight reprieve as we didn't bale which will give me time to get the bills paid and in the mail this morning.

My postponed brick workout went exceptionally well yesterday.  I was able to head out just before 9:00.  It was already 70 degrees and 76 by the time I finished but it was tolerable.  I ended up biking 12 miles @ 16.3 and then running 5 miles @ 9:42.  Very happy with those paces!  HR on the bike was 145.  HR on the run was 159.  My HR was a bit slow to recover...I'm sure the heat was the issue but it settled down once I cooled of and hydrated. 

I'll try and concentrate on getting a few good runs in this week which is going to be tough with our baling schedule but I'll do what I can.  I'll back off a bit next week...not a full taper but I don't want to go into the triathlon completely exhausted.

Payroll and bills is next on the agenda.

Ultreya...
Isn't it refreshing what a few nights of 8 hours sleep can do!
Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:Looks like the training is going well.  I did my 2nd ever IM 70.3 this past weekend in Muncie, IN - so I can relate to tri training along with marathon training.
cheers
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:21 pm

Michele \"1L" Keane wrote:Looks like the training is going well.  I did my 2nd ever IM 70.3 this past weekend in Muncie, IN - so I can relate to tri training along with marathon training.

Michele, I just looked up your results at Muncie.  All I can say is WOW.  Huge improvement and you broke the 6 hour barrier by a huge margin.  I didn't look at the courses but I am impressed!  Much faster swim and run and your transitions were both quicker as well.  I can't imagine running a half like that after swimming and biking for 4 hours!  Actually I can't imagine running a half like that at all but never mind.

I'd love to read your race report if you post one...or give us a link to your blog. 

Any plans to ever try a full IM? 

As far as my training...yes it's going pretty well.  I'm happy with where I'm at right now.  I'm not planning to race hard at the triathlon on the 22nd.  I just want to experience an open water swim and a bit longer triathlon before I make a commitment to the IM 70.3 in Victoria next June. 

And, yes Doug, it's amazing how much better I feel when I can actually get my full 8 hours of sleep!  We probably have the two busiest weeks of the year coming up plus Natalie is struggling with her role as the Mom of three young boys and I'm trying to take the older boys for at least a few minutes each afternoon to give her a bit of a break.  Gary has been helping with the swathing that needs to be done at night...guess I'll have to behave and just compliment him when he wins the corn contest!  I've lined Katie up to help out this weekend so that I can get a long run in when it's not quite so hot.  She's also helping out while I'm at the triathlon. 

I'm a very lucky lady!!

Ultreya...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:52 pm

Good job, Grandma!

I guess swathing at night is better than the day or was that when Gary had the time?

Y'all are just a family of cogs and grease, all spinning in the direction that needs to occur for the whole unit. Approval
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:09 pm

ounce wrote:Good job, Grandma!

I guess swathing at night is better than the day or was that when Gary had the time?

Y'all are just a family of cogs and grease, all spinning in the direction that needs to occur for the whole unit. Approval

Gary is doing the night swathing because that is when he has time but more importantly that is the hardest swathing.  I definitely can't do it.  Partially because it's dark and partially because it's for seed as opposed to hay...that's why it's done at night when there is a dew and the seed holds tight and doesn't fall to the ground.

Katie did help yesterday so I could get my long run in.  Very Happy

Busy does not even begin to describe the situation around here!!  But I have managed to get most of my training in.  Haven't been able to get to Pilates though.

Mon - Swim 2600 yards.  All fins...started to cramp but made it through.

Tues - 6.5 w/3 x 1 Avg 8:56  HR 158/173  Late start and it was getting hot so was very pleased with this run.

Wed - Swim 1900 yards  Very tough short sprint workout.  FUN

Thurs - Bike 30.6 mi on the scenic overlook.  To late and hot for a run so opted for a long bike instead.  I can make my own cooling breeze.

Fri - In the baler shortly after five.  Short break to pack lunches a do a couple things in the office that were due.  Swathed till 8:30.  Not much time for training...

Sat - 15.5 mi @ 11:15  HR 149/173 Boy did it feel good to run earlier when it wasn't quite so hot.  I baled till 6:00 and when Katie arrived I laced up the shoes and took off.  I was nervous after all the hours sitting in the tractor the day before...and the short sleep.  Run went much better than expected.

Sun - Hoped to sneak in a bike/run workout since I wasn't able to train on Friday.  Baling ran late and things were just to hectic and I wisely gave up on that idea and spent some time catching up around the house.  Peas are picked...I love fresh cream peas and potatoes this time of year.  We had a real sit down meal!  I've got 8 quarts of pickled beets cooling on the kitchen counter.  And I have time to catch up on a couple bills and end of quarter reports before bedtime.

Next week is going to be just as busy if not busier!  I'll taper slightly for my triathlon but I need to make sure I train a bit as sitting in the tractor for that long is not good!  And I need to try and get more sleep.  I do have Katie lined up to cover for me Friday while I travel to the valley for the event and Saturday during the race.  I'm trying hard not to let the stress get to me.  My HR has bounced around a bit but is OK.  This isn't a goal race...keep things in their proper perspective...

Ultreya...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:09 pm

ounce wrote:

Well we got a few of the cogs jammed up this week!  We had visitors from Tasmania, Australia arrive and Katie got sick.  The visitors are farmers so Corey has actually been helping but we tend to stay up and talk so sleep as been even shorter!  Katie is feeling better so will be able to help for the race but wasn't able to help after work this week.

Ready or not here I go!  I got in the workouts that I needed to this week.  I'm a bit short of sleep and haven't eaten all that well but it is what it is.

I was chastised by both Maura and Sara for my hydration/nutrition plan.  I've never been comfortable drinking while on the bike.  My distances have always been short enough that I just drank at the beginning and end.  Or stopped on the really long rides as they were just for fun anyway.  I just planned to drink in the transitions.  They both said that would not work!  So during my final bike/run brick workout yesterday I found a good spot and just rode easy and practiced getting the water bottle out, taking a sip, and putting it back.  I still have to slow down and chose a safe spot but I do feel comfortable drinking while riding now.  I'll fill my bottle with Nuun and sip on that during the ride.  I'll supplement with water and GU at both transitions.  I may pack a couple S-caps as well as it's supposed to be warm.

Toni's husband is dropping her off after lunch and we're driving over this afternoon.  We'll pick up our packets, check out the course, and attend an information session before checking into our hotel.

I gave my bike a good cleaning this morning.  I have a lot of gear to organize and pack!  I hope I don't forget anything!!!!!

I'm very nervous, kind of excited, and know that all I have to do is finish and I'll have a PR.  That's the benefits of trying new things. Very Happy

I'm off....
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:32 pm

Good luck on your PR!  Maybe don't go all out, so you have some buffer to execute another PR!! Wink 

I can't speak to the riding while hydrating, but if you're not thirsty, then don't drink.  However, it's always good to learn something new.

Finish injury-free.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:55 pm

Go-go-go! You're well prepared. You'll do great!

I'm not so sure about the "drink only when thirsty" rule after our trip to Elijah Bristow. I stopped sweating and STILL wasn't thirsty, just taking dainty little sips out of my water bottle, fearful of hyponatremia. Guess I overcompensated, and that probably didn't help my leg muscles as they were holding on for dear life. I told that to the PT I saw the other day, and she was horrified.

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:59 pm

Mark B wrote:Go-go-go! You're well prepared. You'll do great!

I'm not so sure about the "drink only when thirsty" rule after our trip to Elijah Bristow. I stopped sweating and STILL wasn't thirsty, just taking dainty little sips out of my water bottle, fearful of hyponatremia. Guess I overcompensated, and that probably didn't help my leg muscles as they were holding on for dear life. I told that to the PT I saw the other day, and she was horrified.
Why don't you ask your PT what you should do about hydration!
lol! lol! lol! lol! lol!
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:07 pm

Thanks to both of you for the encouragement.

I had a really fun day!  It was warm...actually hot...and I had a couple rough spots but I'm very happy with my finish. 

3:06:22  33rd of 52 females  2nd in my age group...of 3 Very Happy

I need to work on my swim and my transitions.  I'll update more tomorrow if I have time.

It was fun.  I'm all in for a half IM next summer and I am absolutely hooked on triathlons.  But I still want to finish my marathon well!

Off to BBQ with our Australian visitors...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:25 am

Woohoo!!  Very nice.  But, Mark, she's been assimilated into the Half IM collective!  pale  clown Seems like the "NASA eclipse people" are actually Half IM hive collectors. Suspect

I'll be interested to know how you have to do better on swimming, as it seems you're doing a lot on swimming.

What type of meats are served in barbecue up there?
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Mon Jul 24, 2017 2:18 pm

Nothing wrong with half IMs at all.  Here's proof:

Mulligan... - Page 8 Muncie10
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:53 am

Mulligan... - Page 8 Tri_at11
Mulligan... - Page 8 Tri_at10

I think Michele looked much better during her event than I did even though mine was only half the distance.

Quick update...I felt pretty good on Sunday.  I was tired but fine.  Everything caught up with me on Monday.  I was exhausted and did not feel well at all.  In addition my right calf really tightened up.  I reluctantly took Monday and Tuesday completely off.  No training at all.  I worked on my calf a bit and then swam and biked yesterday but I did an easier, shorter workout.  I'm getting ready to head out and try an easy run this morning. 

Good news is that my resting HR has been a bit up and down but overall has been good.  And....where's the drum roll...I baled up the last of the bluegrass yesterday.  I've been baling essentially every day for over 3 weeks.  The alfalfa won't be ready for at least 10 days.  I'm looking forward to a few easier days on the farm.  We're really enjoying our Australian visitors.  This is fair week...the grandkids participate...so we're all enjoying the fair.  Our visitors leave early Sunday morning.  Maybe taking a recovery week this week is OK.

I'll provide more analysis of my race later...along with a report on how this morning's run goes.

Ultreya...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:27 pm

Woohoo!  Nice going, Nancy!  It's okay to take time off because the alternative will require taking more time off, but not at a convenient time.  We learn how to listen and coexist with our bodies.  It would seem your body's union rep is your RHR.

Enjoy the visitors while you can, because it'll be nose to the grindstone again.  Looking forward to the report.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  KBFitz Sun Jul 30, 2017 9:29 am

Holee Kripes! You Triathletes are amazing. I might join your circle some year. But running satisfies me for now. Keep on keepin' on!
KBFitz
KBFitz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Sun Jul 30, 2017 4:06 pm

Congratulations on a solid tri, Nancy! And never refuse an AG honor, even if you're the only one in the division! After all, you beat every one who didn't show up. Very Happy

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Mon Jul 31, 2017 12:43 pm

ounce wrote:Woohoo!  Nice going, Nancy!  It's okay to take time off because the alternative will require taking more time off, but not at a convenient time.  We learn how to listen and coexist with our bodies.  It would seem your body's union rep is your RHR.

Enjoy the visitors while you can, because it'll be nose to the grindstone again.  Looking forward to the report.

KBFitz wrote:Holee Kripes! You Triathletes are amazing. I might join your circle some year. But running satisfies me for now. Keep on keepin' on!

Mark B wrote:Congratulations on a solid tri, Nancy! And never refuse an AG honor, even if you're the only one in the division! After all, you beat every one who didn't show up. Very Happy
Thanks to all of you!

Doug...I struggle to listen to my body sometimes but this time it insisted that a few days of rest were in order!  Easing back in slowly...still a bit tired but feeling better.

Kevin...I'm really enjoying the triathlons.  I think in some ways it's easier on my body than just running as it works different muscles and allows my running muscles a bit more recovery time.  You definitely should give it a tri!

Mark...more than happy to accept my AG award.  The winner in my AG was only 56 and was an accomplished triathlete.  There was only one participant over the age of 59 who beat me and I finished before several younger participants.  PR for me...I love doing new events for the first time...with lots of room for improvement.

Struggling to find time to prepare a really detailed race report so I'll post what I have time for this morning...

The drive over on Friday went well.  I didn't know Toni well but we visited and the drive was over before I knew it.  Stopped in Eugene to pick up packets and listen to a presentation by the race director and a couple pros that they sponsored.  It was fun and very educational.  Continued on to our hotel and had dinner...later than I would have liked but we had time to take a quick drive to the event area before it got dark.  Good thing we did...it was a confusing drive!

Up at 5:00 to prepare and have a quick breakfast.  We both brought breakfast but supplemented it with coffee and a muffin from Dutch Bros.  Arrived at the event area shortly before the transition area opened up at 6:30.  We got set up, continued to hydrate and got in the porta-potty line.  Gorgeous weather and absolutely beautiful course!  We donned our wetsuits, made a final check of our transition set-up and headed into the water for a short warm-up.

Swim - I was nervous.  They changed the direction of the swim at the last minute which meant that the buoys would be on the left rather than the right...I breath to the right.  Not good.  I started at the back of the pack as advised.  There were arms and legs flying every direction in the main pack.  I ended up behind a couple of slower swimmers and it took me a few minutes to work my way around them.  I struggled to get into a comfortable rhythm.  I finally settled in and was managing to sight and stay on course fairly well.  Shortly after the first turn...just before the half way mark...my cap started to slide up taking my goggles with it.  I had to stop and tread water for a few seconds to adjust it.  My calf cramped and I totally lost my rhythm.  I veered off course a bit...realized it and was working my way back when a boat appeared...making sure I wasn't headed for the middle of the reservoir!  I was fine and eventually found my rhythm again.  I reached the end of the swim and stood up to run/walk to the transition area.  I could not believe how wobbly I was on my legs!  A spectator helped me get my wetsuit unzipped and I transitioned into my biking gear, took a GU and some water and I was off.

Swim 1500 meters 35:29 Ranked 40/52 females
T1 3:53

I need to work on breathing to both sides.
I need to work on sighting.
I need to figure what caused my cap to slide up...I put it on over dry hair?
I need to work on making the transition from a horizontal swim to a vertical entry into transition.
I need to work on speeding up my transition.

Bike - I headed out of transition after downing a warm GU chased by warm water.  I went out way to fast...apparently I didn't listen close when the pro warned about that during packet pickup.  I tasted that GU at least 4 times before I was able to keep it down permanently.  I did manage to drink while biking and maintained a good pace.  The course was on county roads with very little traffic and paved single lane logging roads...nice.  We headed up river on the west side and then crossed over and returned on the east side.  Somehow it was all up hill(???)  I think the headwind may have contributed to that.  It was relatively flat except for a couple rollers in the last 5 miles as we made our way around the dam back to the transition area.  It was actually a nice fast course.  There are strict rules about drafting, passing within 15 seconds, and blocking (ie not riding tight to the right to allow bikers to pass on the left).  I was nervous and made a couple errors and ended up passing on uphill sections that required a bit more effort.  It was getting warm by the time I got off the bike.  I was into transition, downed another GU and water and caught sight of Toni...I was gaining on her.

Bike 25 miles 1:25:38 Ranked 30/52
T2 2:01

I need to pace myself a bit better...started off way to quickly.
I need to practice drinking on the bike.  I only managed to get about 2/3rds of a bottle down.
I need to work on passing strategy.

Run - It was warm...actually hot.  We were on a single lane paved logging road on the west side of the river.  It was a fairly level out and back and was pretty well shaded.  I got excited when I caught sight of Toni and went out way to fast!  I passed Toni in the first mile and settled down to a more reasonable pace.  I grabbed a bit of water at all the water stops but passed on more nutrition.  I settled into a good pace and was able to maintain it though the finish but I didn't have much left at the end.  The finish line was a very welcome sight.

Run 10K 59:19 Ranked 31/52

I know better than to go out fast like that.  I guess I was thinking 10K not 10K at the end of a marathon!

Overall 3:06:22  33/52 Female, 2/3 AG

I really enjoyed this event.  I learned a lot and have a lot of things that I can improve on.  Swimming is obviously my weakest area.  Open water swimming is much different from pool swimming!  I find triathlon training and triathlons much easier on my body than running for an equivalent time/effort.  It spreads the stress around to different muscles.  I'm looking forward to a Half Ironman next summer!

Recovery - I felt pretty good on Sunday.  Tired but fine.  It all caught up with me on Monday.  Not sure how much was the triathlon itself and how much was the combination of short sleep, visitors, and farming obligations.  My body was adamant that I take some time to recover.  So I took Monday and Tuesday off completely and then eased back into training.

Wed - Swim 1700 yards & Bike 11.5 miles to/from pool.  I cut the swim workout short and everything was an easy effort.  It felt pretty good.

Thur - 7 mi @ 10:53  HR 150/165  I started out at a very easy effort but it felt better than expected.  I didn't push hard but did end up going slightly faster than expected and feeling good.

Fri - Swim 2000 yards & bike 11.5 miles to/from pool.  I did the full swim workout and didn't go 100% but put in a bit more effort than I did on Wednesday.  Pretty happy with my paces and how it felt.  Kept the bike easy effort.

Sat - 8 mi w/5 @ 9:52  HR 145/159 I didn't have time for the 16 miles that I had on the schedule and wasn't confident I could/should to it anyway.  The run that I replaced with my 7 easy miles on Thursday was supposed to be  10 w/8  @ MP.   Wasn't sure I could/should do that either.  So I headed out with the intention of running 7 with maybe a couple faster miles in the middle of it.  I felt pretty good after a couple easy warm up miles and was up to MP during the 3rd mile.  I was able to maintain that pace and ended up turning this into a progression run.  Felt good so added a mile to the plan.  I was quite happy with this run.  I'm tired but my body is responding very well to what I'm asking it to do!

I am NOT looking forward to the heat that they are predicting for this week.  It's going to make training difficult!
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:20 pm

Good, so far!  I'm sure you'll figure out the cap thing, with questions and practice.  Was the water temperature about what you expected?
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:56 am

ounce wrote:Good, so far!  I'm sure you'll figure out the cap thing, with questions and practice.  Was the water temperature about what you expected?
Open water swimming is something that will take some practice and just swimming in a lake isn't enough...the crowded start and sighting are just something that takes practice during a race.  They drill into you to keep your head down while swimming in the pool and then expect you to lift your head to see directly in front of you during an open water swim...some habits are tough to break.  The water temperature was quite nice...I think near 70 degrees.  Wetsuits were optional but I wanted to practice with mine so I wore it as did 90% or more of the participants.  A few brave souls swam without and their first transition was much faster.  It's tough to get the wetsuit off in a hurry!

Trying to get back on track with marathon training.  It's going to be tough this week with our predicted record high temperatures.  We are still busy on the farm but not quite as busy.  It's going to be interesting...

Mon - Swim 2650 yards  All fins and I made it through without cramping and with good paces!
       - Bike 11.5 to/from pool.  Easy effort.

Tues - Pilates  I made it back for the first time in a couple weeks.  I've been stiff and sore...I needed this!
        - 8 mi w/12 x 400  Avg 2:11 (@8:44) HR 153/170  It was getting warm when I got started and I was apprehensive about both the heat and my first real marathon training run at full effort since my tri.  I was prepared to cut it short or go a bit slower if necessary.  It went surprising well.  Goal pace for speedwork is 8:43-9:06.  Hit that without any trouble.  I will admit that I was tired for several hours afterwards but felt fine by the afternoon and feel good this morning. 

My resting HR is still bouncing around a bit and is a bit higher than I'd like to see it...average 54 for the past week.  I'm not surprised...or concerned...but I am keeping an eye on it.

Ultreya...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 18 Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 13 ... 18  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum