365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fox Firecracker 5K Race Report

5 posters

Go down

Fox Firecracker 5K Race Report Empty Fox Firecracker 5K Race Report

Post  grennifer Tue Jul 05, 2011 6:11 pm

From my blog at http://perseverancerunner.wordpress.com/

Two hundred and thirty five years ago, 56 men signed their own death warrant—the treasonous Declaration of Independence. The signatures on this document have been amplified by the lives, service, and sacrifices of countless men and women who dared to believe “that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights, that among these are life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.”

Fox Firecracker 5K Race Report Band
University of Wisconsin Band
The realization of this dream was celebrated this morning in the small Wisconsin town of Kaukauna. On the banks of the rushing Fox River, 1,200 people gathered to hear the University of Wisconsin band, to pause for taps and a 21 gun salute, to honor World War II veterans, and to run the rather arbitrary distance of 3.1 miles.

Today I did not run this 5K to try and break a personal record or achieve a fast speed. Today I had the honor of running with my dad.

After the opening patriotic festivities, the run began. Runners passed through the two columns of the University of Wisconsin band. At the beginning of the race runners were pulled forward by the energy of the crowd; most of whom would begin much faster than they would finish.

Dad and I ran at a solid pace. We ran the flat and downhill portions of the course while walking the uphills. As we ran down one quiet street, dad crossed the center line and outside the cones. One of the race officials said to him, “I bet you colored outside the lines.” As we ran down a hill that led into the downtown, the University of Wisconsin band was at the foot of the hill playing the 1812 Overture. We accompanied them with our own da, da, da, da dums.

Fox Firecracker 5K Race Report Dad
Dad and I
With the beautiful weather of a Wisconsin summer, the playful banter of the crowd, World War II veterans clapping for us on the Veterans Memorial Bridge, the accompaniment of the band, and the joy of spending a morning with my dad, the run passed quickly. We crossed the finish line together a few seconds over 35 minutes, fast enough for my dad to place third in his age group in his first-ever 5K.A great morning as the pursuit of happiness was achieved.
grennifer
grennifer

http://perseverancerunner.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Fox Firecracker 5K Race Report Empty Re: Fox Firecracker 5K Race Report

Post  Jeff F Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:09 pm

PR's aren't always about how fast you run...but by how special the expereince was. Sounds like a PR to me. Thanks for sharing.
Jeff F
Jeff F
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave P Thu Jul 07, 2011 2:57 pm

CONGRATS! What an awesome experience to run with your dad.
Dave P
Dave P
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim Lentz Thu Jul 07, 2011 4:03 pm

Nice race with your dad.
Jim Lentz
Jim Lentz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  John Kilpatrick Thu Jul 07, 2011 4:24 pm

That is a great race report - makes me miss my Dad! Great job to him, by the way cheers

John Kilpatrick
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down