365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Todd Beamer Memorial 10K

4 posters

Go down

Todd Beamer Memorial 10K Empty Todd Beamer Memorial 10K

Post  nkrichards Tue Jul 06, 2021 10:06 pm

Another race.  Woohoo.  Happy 4th of July

Todd Beamer 10K

WU 1 mi @ 11:31 HR 139/157 Cad 154 included strides & mobility
6.15 @ 9:18 HR 163/179 Cad 161

1. 9:23
  2. 9:19
  3. 9:18
  4. 9:20
  5. 9:24
  6. 9:10
  7. @ 8:37

CD 1 mi @ 12:34  Legs were trashed and tight after standing around for awards.

This race is a very small but iconic race.  It's THE race in Madras.  And the fact that it was after the lock down and mask mandate ended in Oregon made it really fun.  Lots of visiting and catching up.  It was pretty special because it was the 25th anniversary of Todd's death.  They made special shirts that in addition to the normal logo said "Those things you do for yourself pass with you.  Those things you do for others go on and on."  Todd's Dad organizes the race every year and he announced that this would be the last year he put it on.  He puts a lot of fun and humor into the event but gives a pretty heartfelt speech at the starting line.  As one runner said...the speech is the toughest part of the race.

I told Melissa that I would push the pace but didn't want to stress over a goal pace.  I wanted to enjoy this one.  The first 4 miles of the course are net downhill, include a leap over a cattle guard, and are on gravel.  Once you hit the pavement at mile 4 there is a very slight incline.  Mile 5 is a tough mile mentally.  Once you turn the corner and can see the finish at the park it gets a bit easier.  It was very hot.  I was slightly disappointed that I dropped the pace by a couple seconds in mile 5.  The effort was there but the speed wasn't.  But...I did pass two much younger ladies during mile 5. Todd Beamer Memorial 10K Icon_cheers

"Official" results will be in the paper tomorrow.  Only 20 people in the 10K as many people dropped down to the 5K or 2 mile fun run.  

I did win my age group!  But I'm pretty sure I was the only one in it.   Todd Beamer Memorial 10K Icon_lol
I am quite pleased with my 3rd place female finish against a much younger field.

Fun Fact...Jon Bowerman joined the event and ran/walked the 2 mile fun run.  He's an absolute hoot!

Now it's time to buckle down and prepare for my half in August.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

fostever likes this post

Back to top Go down

Todd Beamer Memorial 10K Empty Re: Todd Beamer Memorial 10K

Post  Julie Fri Jul 09, 2021 4:08 pm

Congrats! Isn't it fun to pass people the last mile or so of a race?
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

nkrichards likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  KBFitz Sun Jul 11, 2021 7:28 am

Nicely Done Nancy! You would have smoked past me at those paces. This bodes well for your upcoming half.
Nicely Done!
KBFitz
KBFitz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

nkrichards likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Sat Aug 14, 2021 3:58 pm

Congrats!  It is always fun to pass/beat those younguns.   I run a crazy 2.7 mile race here every year, and although, I was not as pleased with my time this year (20:21) as the last year it was held (19:52 in 2019), I still easily won my AG (by 3 min) and was 6th woman overall.  No one over the age of 32 actually beat me, but I did have two women in the 60-69 AG ask me if I was 60 yet!

Gald you are enjoying working with Melissa.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down