365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Training with Flies

5 posters

Page 17 of 19 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18, 19  Next

Go down

Training with Flies - Page 17 Empty Re: Training with Flies

Post  ounce Mon Dec 11, 2023 7:11 pm

So, I'll try to be quick.

Last week---
Monday - lift.  Got a bruise or two, but that's normal.
Tuesday - r/w 9 miles.  16:02 pace, which seems consistent with prior runs.
Wednesday - shoulders lift.  I've lost about 10% of weight lifted because I haven't done it in a couple of weeks.  Not concerned.
Thursday - Idea of another 9, but the legs said 3.  "So shall it be written.  So shall it be done."
Friday - lift.  Also added a routine never done.  Dumbbell bench press on a flat bench.  Very, very wobbly.  Lying on bench, I lifted a dumbbell in each hand.  22.5 pound dumbbells in each hand.  Muscles needed to try to keep the dumbbell SOMEWHAT steady were very weak for that weight.  Acted like they were drunk.  Keep in mind that I lift 130 lbs on the sitting bench and 95 pounds on a barbell on a flat bench.
Saturday - 3 mile walk.

I can now confirm that the wrist HR on the new Garmin is accurate, except at the start of a distance.  It gives the same data as the Polar after 90 bpm, +/-2 bpm.  As a result, I expect my split times to decrease due to the weight savings of only wearing 1 watch, instead of 3 plus a HR strap.

This morning, I lifted and acquired 3 new bruises.  All on the right arm.

Tomorrow, I plan on r/w of 12 miles, maybe 13 or 14.  Depends on how the 12 goes.  Ought to be in the 40s for a temp.

thanks for your patience.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Tue Dec 12, 2023 11:41 am

ounce wrote:So, I'll try to be quick.

Last week---
Wednesday - shoulders lift.  I've lost about 10% of weight lifted because I haven't done it in a couple of weeks.  Not concerned.
Thursday - Idea of another 9, but the legs said 3.  "So shall it be written.  So shall it be done."
Friday - lift.  Also added a routine never done.  Dumbbell bench press on a flat bench.  Very, very wobbly.  Lying on bench, I lifted a dumbbell in each hand.  22.5 pound dumbbells in each hand.  Muscles needed to try to keep the dumbbell SOMEWHAT steady were very weak for that weight.  Acted like they were drunk.  Keep in mind that I lift 130 lbs on the sitting bench and 95 pounds on a barbell on a flat bench.
Saturday - 3 mile walk.

I can now confirm that the wrist HR on the new Garmin is accurate, except at the start of a distance.  It gives the same data as the Polar after 90 bpm, +/-2 bpm.  As a result, I expect my split times to decrease due to the weight savings of only wearing 1 watch, instead of 3 plus a HR strap.

Tomorrow, I plan on r/w of 12 miles, maybe 13 or 14.  Depends on how the 12 goes.  Ought to be in the 40s for a temp.

I saw your 12+ miles on Strava.  Well done!  And a nice finish. 

Glad you're adapting and happy with the new Garmin.  

I don't lift on a bench but I do lift dumbbells lying on the floor.  I agree that it's harder to stabilize when lifting dumbbells that aren't connected vs lifting a bar.  Not surprised to hear your muscles appeared to be drunk.  Laughing   If you really want a challenge try lifting just the right side and then just the left side.  It requires even more stability and the use of your core.  Happy lifting. 

Rest up from your run.  You completed nearly the entire distance!!   Running cheers
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Tue Dec 12, 2023 12:45 pm

nkrichards wrote:
ounce wrote:So, I'll try to be quick.

Last week---
Saturday - 3 mile walk.

I saw your 12+ miles on Strava.  Well done!  And a nice finish. 

Glad you're adapting and happy with the new Garmin.  

I don't lift on a bench but I do lift dumbbells lying on the floor.  I agree that it's harder to stabilize when lifting dumbbells that aren't connected vs lifting a bar.  Not surprised to hear your muscles appeared to be drunk.  Laughing   If you really want a challenge try lifting just the right side and then just the left side.  It requires even more stability and the use of your core.  Happy lifting. 

Rest up from your run.  You completed nearly the entire distance!!   Running cheers
Thanks, Nancy.  When I passed 11 miles, I got to thinking that even though I was getting tired (I hadn't decided not to run that 13th mile, yet), I had convinced myself that 13.1 on race day was very doable in less than 4 hours, which is the whole point of doing it.  I did 12 today, with no stopping the watch for pee breaks, at 3:19:42.

46 degrees, this morning, and calm.  I had a long sleeve polyester shirt under a short sleeve cotton shirt.  At 2 miles, I removed the long sleeve for the duration of the run because I was sliding the sleeves up and I wanted to feel the result.  By mile 10, I wished that I had it on.  I wasn't shivering, but I was becoming cooler during the walk cycle, which resulted in a good motivation to run when the time came.  

So 46 degrees, dark, and calm is worthy of a long sleeved thin cotton shirt.  If race day is the same, but sunny, it'll be the short sleeve cotton shirt.  I have a shirt that I have worn on race days for 18 years with patches on it.  Washing and drying has shortened the length of the shirt.  Now, I wear a shirt under the race shirt.  Maybe on race day I'll wear a sleeveless under the race day shirt.  

Nancy, regarding your dumbbells, being raised off the floor (like on a bench) allows the dumbbells to go lower and stretch/work the pectoral muscle more for a bench press exercise versus none when you're on the floor.

I'll put the run splits on here later.

It was a satisfying running session.

I was figuring for race day that I would start to feel at mile 9 like I felt today at 11 because of the concrete vs softer surface at Memorial Park.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Wed Dec 13, 2023 11:45 pm

Here are the run splits from Tuesday's 12 mile w/r
1.  6:39, 118 bpm, 160 spm
2.  7:39, 130 bpm, 160 spm
3.  7:16, 131 bpm, 161 spm
4.  6:44, 128 bpm, 161 spm
5.  7:39, 133 bpm, 161 spm
6.  7:00, 134 bpm, 162 spm
7.  5:59, 138 bpm, 160 spm - only 0.45 miles.  Hit the split button late.
8.  7:40, 137 bpm, 160 spm
9.  6:59, 139 bpm, 162 spm
10.  6:27, 144 bpm, 162 spm
11.  7:56, 144 bpm, 162 spm
12.  7:10, 145 bpm, 161 spm

After the 2nd loop (the 6th split), I bumped the cadence to 162 from 161.  I think the HR creeped along pretty nicely.  I calculate the avg HR for the running splits to be 135.08 bpm.  Ah, it does my heart good to know that Freddy was just as awake and out of the hammock for 10 out of 12 splits.  He answered the phone after the 1st split.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Thu Dec 14, 2023 12:00 am

Wednesday was lifting, specifically the shoulders workout.  Took a little longer than usual, but I managed to increase the weight on the overhead press back to 55 lbs.

As a result of my meniscus disappearing (I've stapled to several telephone polls - "LOST:  RIGHT MEDIAL MENISCUS.  CALL ME IF YOU FIND IT."), that has allowed me to continue doing lifting 3 days a week.

I will run 3 whole miles, tomorrow morning.

As y'all can relate, the 12 mile w/r was the deciding factor on shoes on race day and shorts on race day.  The winning pair had a problem with shoelaces becoming untied during an outing.  Very nice and light shoes, but the shoelaces.  Aargh.  I have many pairs of shoelaces, so I put in a pair of lime sherbet shoelaces to 'compliment' the orange sherbet colored shoes.

I'm trying to be a trendsetter amongst the senior set.

time for bed.  4:30 comes early.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Mon Dec 18, 2023 7:36 pm

Thursday, I ran a whole 3 miles, yet the Garmin measured 3.10.  14:15 pace at an average HR of 135 with a cadence of 158 in the 52 degree weather.  It seemed slow to me, but in the light of Tuesday's 12 mile run, I should be pleased.  I had some residual soreness in both upper, lateral quads, too.  That soreness mirrored the same soreness on the prior week's 9 mile run.  Sometimes consistency means you hurt in the same area on different days and it's okay.

-30-

Friday was a lifting day, which went fine.

-30-

This morning it was 46 degrees when I went to lift weights.  I had some soreness in the area of my right bicep, close to the bend of the arm.  The right brachialis is also involved, but to a lesser degree.  The bicep soreness required me to use a lighter weight on bicep curl.  The brachialis affected the sitting bench press slightly, but lifting the same weight as before.  Presently as I type this, I have my TENS making my arm tweek and pitch, just not typing with the right hand.

Tomorrow will be a running morning.  I will run either 4, 5, or 6 miles.  Probably in the 50s.  This week, I'll concentrate on straight running, in order to build a memory that I can utilize in the last couple of miles of the Half.  It would be very special to do that.

Thanks and pick up your free, zero balance gift card with my sincere appreciation.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Tue Dec 19, 2023 10:16 pm

This morning, it was 46 degrees with a light, yet surprising, cool south breeze.  The significance of the south breeze means that the days of a north breeze are over and the Gulf of Mexico is pushing the cold air back to the north.  In SE Texas, we have a prevailing SE breeze most days.

Anywho, I had dressed with the thin, cotton, long sleeved shirt.  That shirt is really thin, as the 46 degrees with little breeze was causing my chest to show some cold feel on the skin.  Notation made for the race day attire selection.  I also had a hoodie when I left home, plus a do-rag.

So, I started out at a 158 cadence for the first 3 miles.  It took a while to get in a groove with the cool, dry air.  The legs were scooting right along.

6 miles, 1:25:15, 14.12 pace, 133 avg HR, 145 max HR, 158 avg cadence
1. 14:16, 122 bpm, 158 spm
2. 14:16, 130 bpm, 159 spm
3. 14:21, 131 bpm, 158 spm
4. 14:12, 136 bpm, 158 spm
5. 13:50, 138 bpm, 157 spm
6. 14:25, 141 bpm, 158 spm

6 miles wasn't a lock after the first loop. 4 or 5, certainly. I passed the fifth mile and six did not seem like a big mountain to overcome, until I got to 5.5 miles. Then it was the mantra, "One foot in front of the other" and "good thing you're not doing 7." When the watch reached 6 miles, I stopped, even though the watch isn't accurate on distance. I was probably a tenth of a mile short of 6.

It felt REALLY good to log 6 miles, today. That cinches the Half's effort will be more than enough to finish the race. Between Thursday and the day after Christmas, I'll just do some maintenance miles. Then, I'll be off from the 27th to January 8. On Tuesday, the 9th, I'll do 3 or so miles to clear the cobwebs and maybe 3 more on Thursday. I am volunteering for the 5K that happens on Saturday, the 13th. If I'm able, I try to volunteer for the 5K that's downtown. Then, go pick up my bib and go home for the rest of the day. That's the Wild Card weekend for the NFL playoffs.

I have no estimated finishing time for the Half, other than less than 4 hours, which is more than doable when you take the 12 miles in 3:19:42 on 12Dec. Instead of 1/2 mile splits during the race, I'll be doing 1K (0.621 miles) splits because the course is flagged in miles and kilometers.

Y'all behave yourselves.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Wed Dec 20, 2023 4:45 pm

Went a-liftin', this morning. I did the shoulders workout and did okay with it, along with the incline bench press.

Also did 5 minutes of walking backwards in the zumba room. One adjustment I made from watching that particular video again was to touch the ground first with the big toe. That's supposed to engage the tibialis muscle a bit sooner. I can tell the tibalis is stronger due to it being easier to walk up stairs. That was a pretty quick muscle build up, compared to other muscles.

There's also a thing called a Backwards Treadmill.

Tomorrow will be 3 miles. I will probably walk the 3 miles. Our Christmas day weather will be a high of 70, which is about 5 degrees above seasonal. I was reminded that last year, it was 26 degrees on the morning of Christmas.

That be about it.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Sun Dec 24, 2023 2:50 pm

On Thursday, I went and walked about 3 miles at an 18:01 pace. The route was a new to me, even though I drive half of the same route when I return from lifting. This 3 miles could probably become a 4 mile run or walk route very easily.

The 3 was just to keep the legs engaged.

-30-

This morning, I lifted a light schedule. I don't do that much at all, but I didn't want to overlift going into this week. Practiced on the dumbbell bench press and my drunk arms, too.

I was thinking of running in the morning, but I don't have to. Plus there's a cold front coming through tonight or this evening that's supposed to drop the present 65 degree lows to become a 65 degree high for the week.

Y'all have a great Christmas.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Tue Jan 02, 2024 11:25 am

Hope you enjoyed the holidays!

Looking forward to following your last few days of training before the half.

I'll have to figure out how to follow your progress on race day...
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Tue Jan 02, 2024 12:53 pm

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year, Doug!

Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Wed Jan 03, 2024 11:24 pm

nkrichards wrote:Hope you enjoyed the holidays!

Looking forward to following your last few days of training before the half.

I'll have to figure out how to follow your progress on race day...
Thanks, Nancy. www.houstonmarathon.com
Mark B wrote:Merry Christmas and Happy New Year, Doug!
Thanks, Mark! Back at ya. I guess I know where YOU'LL be on Monday evening.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Wed Jan 03, 2024 11:36 pm

I am looking forward to getting back at it. The 10 day forecast goes out as far as Saturday, the 13th. While the crystal ball is still foggy, the temperature spread for Thursday, Friday, and Saturday is looking really, really nice. It'll be this Friday before the Thursday to Monday the 15th guesses will be revealed.

I'll be volunteering for the 5K on Saturday morning, the 13th, then get my race packet.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Tue Jan 09, 2024 11:57 am

ounce wrote:I am looking forward to getting back at it.  The 10 day forecast goes out as far as Saturday, the 13th.  While the crystal ball is still foggy, the temperature spread for Thursday, Friday, and Saturday is looking really, really nice.  It'll be this Friday before the Thursday to Monday the 15th guesses will be revealed.

I'll be volunteering for the 5K on Saturday morning, the 13th, then get my race packet.
I took a quick look at the weather.  Looks like it's windy there and may be windy on race day.  What are you thinking about the conditions?

I'll set up tracking so I can watch your progress.

I plan to check back in here before race day but just in case I'm not able to...Have a great day!  Remember to enjoy the day!

Running Running Running
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Thu Jan 11, 2024 5:32 pm

nkrichards wrote:
ounce wrote:I am looking forward to getting back at it.  The 10 day forecast goes out as far as Saturday, the 13th.  While the crystal ball is still foggy, the temperature spread for Thursday, Friday, and Saturday is looking really, really nice.  It'll be this Friday before the Thursday to Monday the 15th guesses will be revealed.

I took a quick look at the weather.  Looks like it's windy there and may be windy on race day.  What are you thinking about the conditions?

I plan to check back in here before race day but just in case I'm not able to...Have a great day!  Remember to enjoy the day!

Running Running Running

Thanks, Nancy. The weather will be there, but I plan on doing the best that I can with or without good weather. It seemed like the weather was going to be 46-58 degrees for the time that I'm on the course, as of Tuesday evening. However, that changed last night. We have Arctic cold that, as of now, is supposed to arrive before sunrise on Sunday. So, before the frontal passage, it could be 45 degrees. Timing is foggy for arrival. But the temps could be in the 30s with a north breeze all race long. Not sure about cloudy or sunny.

I have enough clothes to be ready for anything except ice. Don't gots no spikes.

I'll post my bib number.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

nkrichards likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Thu Jan 11, 2024 9:43 pm

ounce wrote:
nkrichards wrote:

Running Running Running

Thanks, Nancy.  The weather will be there, but I plan on doing the best that I can with or without good weather.  It seemed like the weather was going to be 46-58 degrees for the time that I'm on the course, as of Tuesday evening.  However, that changed last night.  We have Arctic cold that, as of now, is supposed to arrive before sunrise on Sunday.  So, before the frontal passage, it could be 45 degrees.  Timing is foggy for arrival.  But the temps could be in the 30s with a north breeze all race long.  Not sure about cloudy or sunny.

I have enough clothes to be ready for anything except ice.  Don't gots no spikes.

I'll post my bib number.
Hoping you won't need them but sheet metal screws make the best cheap and instant spikes...and once removed the shoes are fine.  I keep sheet metal screws in an old pair as advised by the local running shoe store.  5 screws in an arch on the front of the shoe and 4 on the heel area.

My weather indicates that it's unlikely it will be below freezing but it may be windy so you'll need to dress accordingly.

Enjoy yourself.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Fri Jan 12, 2024 12:01 am

nkrichards wrote:
ounce wrote:
nkrichards wrote:

Running Running Running

Thanks, Nancy.  The weather will be there, but I plan on doing the best that I can with or without good weather.  It seemed like the weather was going to be 46-58 degrees for the time that I'm on the course, as of Tuesday evening.  However, that changed last night.  We have Arctic cold that, as of now, is supposed to arrive before sunrise on Sunday.  So, before the frontal passage, it could be 45 degrees.  Timing is foggy for arrival.  But the temps could be in the 30s with a north breeze all race long.  Not sure about cloudy or sunny.

I have enough clothes to be ready for anything except ice.  Don't gots no spikes.

I'll post my bib number.
Hoping you won't need them but sheet metal screws make the best cheap and instant spikes...and once removed the shoes are fine.  I keep sheet metal screws in an old pair as advised by the local running shoe store.  5 screws in an arch on the front of the shoe and 4 on the heel area.

My weather indicates that it's unlikely it will be below freezing but it may be windy so you'll need to dress accordingly.

Enjoy yourself.
The latest forecast is 36 at the start and 34 by 11 a.m. with 10-15 north winds. Wind chill will be 9 degrees cooler. No rain until Sunday night. So, your weather is right, so far. Coldest race since 2012 or 2013, I think.

Regarding the spikes, any length? I'm sure it varies with the thickness of the sole. Not to use on Sunday, but general information. Thanks, Nancy.

-30-

I ran 3 miles on Wednesday at a 14:40-something pace and 34 degrees. This morning at 54 degrees, I walk/ran 6 miles (2 loops) at a 15:58 pace. The last couple of miles showed a little wobbliness, but that was understandable for my off period of 2 weeks.

I thought about lifting tomorrow morning, but I'll pass to rest up some. 
Also volunteering on Saturday with 33 at 6 a.m. downtown where the winds really howl around the buildings.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Fri Jan 12, 2024 11:32 am

Training with Flies - Page 17 Img_4810
Training with Flies - Page 17 Img_4811
Here's how the running store set up my shoes...and the spare screws I keep on hand.  They tend to fall out occasionally so I keep a few around and replace them as needed.  

Sounds like the wind is going to be more of a problem than ice.  You can dress for the colder temperature...I like to race when it's cold. 

Good decision to cut back on the lifting and rest up.

Have fun!
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Fri Jan 12, 2024 12:46 pm

That's cool! Thanks for the photos.

The wind on Sunday is supposed to be a steady ENE wind of 10-15 with gusts to 20. That'll be tougher on the marathoners than the half runners. The half runners will have maybe 2 miles of crosswinds and 3 of in your face wind (miles 10-finish).

Marathoners have 3 crosswinds and 6 in your face (20-finish).

Waiting for all of the corrals to head out will be chilly, too. I'll be waiting about 45-50 minutes to cross the start line. So, 7:45 at the mat and 11:30 (very conservative 3 hours, 45 minutes time) finish.

Tracking link: https://track.rtrt.me/e/HOU-2024#/tracker/list

Doug Spence
2024 Aramco Houston Half Marathon
Bib Number: 45252
Age on Race Day: 66
Corral Assignment: E
Corral Gate Closure: 7:40

Should be memorable, either way. Thanks.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Sat Jan 13, 2024 10:13 pm

Hope you stayed warm at the 5K today.

Have a great run!
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Sat Jan 13, 2024 11:12 pm

nkrichards wrote:Hope you stayed warm at the 5K today.

Have a great run!

Yeah, I stayed warm except for my ears, as my duck hat didn't cover my ears, but kept my noggin warm.

Thanks, Nancy, I plan on finishing at a 16 flat pace. The first half ought to be faster. I will be happy with a 3 hour, 34 minute because that's my training pace. By mile 10 or 11, I'll know whether I want to run the last 2 or 3 miles. I just have to be on the lookout for those kilometer flags. All 21.

Weather, for all intents and purposes, will be cloudy, 39 degrees, 15 mph NE wind which makes a wind chill of 30. Never done cloudy and cold the whole time before. But I have it ready to go.

Nighty night.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  nkrichards Sun Jan 14, 2024 1:51 pm

ounce wrote:

Have a great run!

Yeah, I stayed warm except for my ears, as my duck hat didn't cover my ears, but kept my noggin warm.

Thanks, Nancy, I plan on finishing at a 16 flat pace.  The first half ought to be faster.  I will be happy with a 3 hour, 34 minute because that's my training pace.  By mile 10 or 11, I'll know whether I want to run the last 2 or 3 miles.  I just have to be on the lookout for those kilometer flags.  All 21.

Weather, for all intents and purposes, will be cloudy, 39 degrees, 15 mph NE wind which makes a wind chill of 30.  Never done cloudy and cold the whole time before.  But I have it ready to go.

Nighty night.
Looks like you met your goals and them some!  Well done!  Very nice finish.   Running cheers Money Shots

Hope you stayed warm and had fun.  

Rest up and post an update when you have time.

Congrats.
nkrichards
nkrichards
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Sun Jan 14, 2024 7:46 pm

nkrichards wrote:
ounce wrote:

Have a great run!

Thanks, Nancy, I plan on finishing at a 16 flat pace.  The first half ought to be faster.  I will be happy with a 3 hour, 34 minute because that's my training pace.  By mile 10 or 11, I'll know whether I want to run the last 2 or 3 miles.  I just have to be on the lookout for those kilometer flags.  All 21.

Weather, for all intents and purposes, will be cloudy, 39 degrees, 15 mph NE wind which makes a wind chill of 30.  Never done cloudy and cold the whole time before.  But I have it ready to go.

Nighty night.
Looks like you met your goals and them some!  Well done!  Very nice finish.   Running cheers Money Shots

Hope you stayed warm and had fun.  

Rest up and post an update when you have time.

Congrats.

Yeah, Nancy, it worked out well. Thanks! There were 3 or 4 times when I was questioning things or niggles, but there was one thing that save my fanny into continuing on. That thing was passing halfway. From then on, the 'to go' KM was getting smaller and smaller.

I haven't been able to get my Garmin to download the data. It's not pairing for some reason.

Keep in mind as you read on that when I was run/walk 3 miles, I was doing it in 50 minutes.

But here are the quick figures:
Time 3:28:22, a 15:54 pace. Approval
5K - 50:13, 50:13, 16:10
10K - 1:39:08, 48:55, 15:45
15K - 2:28:54, 49:46, 16:02
20K - 3:18:28, 49:34, 15:58
end - 3:28:22, 9:54
The figures come from the website results.
I peed during the 5K, the 10K. I think that was it.

The weather ended up being a little different than forecasted. The wind was there, but it wasn't getting as cool as I thought it was going to get. So, I audibled and swapped my crew neck, thicker, 1st layer to a thinner, non-crew neck. I felt the dry cleaning bag and the thinner shirt was going to be enough. As it turned out, the skies were clearing by the 2nd mile or about 8:15 a.m. The wind bit some, but the sun counted as a layer and negated the wind for the remaining 11 miles. I hate being too warm.

I ditched the dry cleaning bag at 10K. I removed my Buff at 11K and put it back on when the headwind hit at mile 9 until I crossed the finish line.

I ran 9 and 10K together. I also ran Km's 19, 20, and 21.1. I wish I could get a hold of the data. Someday.

There were instances where my times seemed to be slow in spots. I didn't think until now that I was doing actual KM splits and not half-miles. But at each timing mat, I tried to do a quick calculation and it [i]seemed[i] like I was hitting my 50 minute splits.

I didn't drink any water until halfway, mile 10, and mile 12.

Funny to me after the race, the race director herds the marathoners and half marathoners from outside to inside. So, marathoners were doing that painful waddle walk just to get somewhere. I found myself doing a little of it, too. Then, I snapped out of that and started scurrying around all of the marathoners because I was only half as waddly as the marathoners.

I do remember the Garmin's total distance and pace. 13.91 miles. 13.91. And a pace of 14:58. Downtown buildings, I guess.

I really am pleased with my performance, today. I thought I was going to be a bit tired from running 3 miles last Wednesday and run/walk 6 on Thursday. And I thought being off 2 weeks was not going to be good. Both ended up not being an issue.

Did I mention that I pulled a stupid mistake by leaving my watch and gnome at home? I turned around and fetched it, which delayed my arrival by 20 minutes. That was a benefit of being a slow runner because I didn't have to be in the corral until 7:40 at the latest. I arrived at 6:25. I crossed the start line at 7:50.

Lifting 3 days and running 2 days, with an occasional 3 & 3 in October, worked. I'm going to do some changes in lifting. Nothing bizarre, but there's a routine I want to do to strengthen my back a little more. I would do a bear hug on a punching bag and lift it up multiple times. It will help a deficiency that I found I had over the past 3 weeks.

Thanks for reading. Oh, and it'll be cold here until sunrise Wednesday. I think 19 on Wednesday morning.

I enjoyed the effort. No niggles of substance.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Tue Jan 16, 2024 12:40 pm

Sunday evening and Monday, whenever I sat then got up, the rigor mortis set in.  I still have a little lateral movement issues, but nothing hurts.

This morning in the shower, I got to thinking as to whether I executed a negative split or not.  Comparing the 1st 10K to the 2nd 10K times, the 1st 10K was 20 seconds faster than the 2nd 10K.  The final 1.1K (0.68 miles) was done at a 14:56 pace.  So, I think I missed a negative split by less than 15 seconds...without putting a pencil to it.  I haven't been able to download the data off the watch, yet.

I ran Km's 9 and 10 (about 1.2 miles) and Km's 19 to the finish (1.88 miles).  There wasn't a timing mat at halfway, so I probably won't be able to conclusively confirm that I negative split.

There was one small (take THAT, suckah!) moment around Km 13 where I had caught up in walking to a tall guy in his 60s on a straight stretch of road.  He sped up a little bit.  Then I realized we were coming up to two tangent points.  He didn't look the part of a runner with knowledge of running the tangents.  So, I peeled off from him to the first tangent, then changed course to hit the second tangent and never saw him again. Twisted Evil

Though in the final analysis, I nailed executing my training to the race!  Each 3 mile loop at Memorial Park was at 50 minutes or seconds faster.  Just like the race.  On Dec 13, I did 12 at 3:19.  4 loops at Memorial Park is targeted at 3:20.

Regarding transferring the Memorial Park crushed granite steps to concrete streets, the 10K to 14K had the greatest struggle for the hip sockets and upper quads.  But it settled down with the help of a downward slope during mile 10.

It's COLD here, now.  Yesterday, it was below 32 with freezing rain and sliding cars.  Now, it's 25 with wind chill of 9 degrees with sunshine.  Schools are out for today because of the ice on the overpasses.  Nothing for y'all, but it's a big deal for us.  Wednesday morning will be it for below 32, but I won't be going anywhere.

Thanks for reading.  
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Fri Jan 19, 2024 3:54 pm

Wednesday saw the morning low of 22 or so.  All of the muscle things that keep me upright and without pain are at 100%, now.  Of course, the muscle damage is under renovation for the next few weeks.

Thursday morning, it was 44.  I went lifting.  Some routines were a little tougher and I dropped the weight amount on a couple of them.

Then, I got to the punching bag.  It was last.  I wanted to know the weight of the bag before I started, so I know how much I'm lifting.  I brought over a scale and lifted the bag up and placed it on the scale.  About 95 pounds.  Close enough for what I want to do.  I did 3 sets of 10 reps.  

I need to figure out how to add weight to the bag.  One idea was to get a weight belt that protects the back (wide for the low back area) but buckles in front like a regular belt.  I would get a kettle bell, run it through the belt, cinch the belt to the punching bag and go at it.  It would look funny, but maybe it'll work.

Another is using a weight belt where there is no buckle, rather a chain in front where you loop a weight plate (10 lb up to 45 lb).  Then I would TRY to lift the bag and slip the belt under the bag, then slide the belt with the additional weight up the bag.  All kinda new.

thanks. have a good weekend.

Training with Flies - Page 17 Weight10
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 17 of 19 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18, 19  Next