365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Trails and Travails

+34
jon c
T Miller
Nick Morris
Tim C
Jim Lentz
GregC
JohnP
Michael Enright
Alex Kubacki
Julie
Paula Sue
Randy E
mul21
Tom H
Neil Ruggiero
ChasMcG
John Kilpatrick
Mark B
Ken Mello
Peg Coover
Seth Harrison
Tea from RonItch
dot520
Jeff F
Matt W
Jerry
Dave-O
Natalie
Michele "1L" Keane
Mrs. Schuey
Chris M
Kenny B.
Schuey
Mike MacLellan
38 posters

Page 11 of 27 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 19 ... 27  Next

Go down

Trails and Travails - Page 11 Empty Re: Trails and Travails

Post  Schuey Sun Jul 31, 2011 12:12 pm

Yeah I remember those smog test from living out there.

Great 21 mile runs yesterday Mike, I know the feeling of not wanting to lace up the shoes and go out and run. Those are the times that I find the hardest part is getting out the door and then getting the first few miles in.

I feel that when we have that feeling and we still get out the door and get it done will serve as well come ultra race day. There is no doubt that we will have moments like that during a race and by getting through the times of training will only allow us to move forward when it gets tough on the trail.

Have a great run today and congrats on getting over the 90 mile mark for the week. Can I just say "AWESOME"!

Also I love reading your run reports, sure wish I could write like you. Funny story about the snake.
Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Sun Jul 31, 2011 3:00 pm

We do smog tests in Atlanta as well - our traffic sucks so bad that we have smog alert days when they advise you not to go outside during a certain time period in the afternoon.

Tough run, Mike - but you did it.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Sun Jul 31, 2011 3:24 pm

Julie - Yep, same breakfast as always: 1/2c rolled oats, mashed banana, tbsp flax, tbsp protein powder, tons of cinnamon. Soy latte on the side. And I brought some food with me.

Schuey wrote:I feel that when we have that feeling and we still get out the door and get it done will serve as well come ultra race day. There is no doubt that we will have moments like that during a race and by getting through the times of training will only allow us to move forward when it gets tough on the trail.

Have a great run today and congrats on getting over the 90 mile mark for the week. Can I just say "AWESOME"!

Also I love reading your run reports, sure wish I could write like you. Funny story about the snake.

You're absolutely right, Schuey. I've heard that the 50-miler doesn't really start until the last 20 miles, and I'm positive that's a reference to the mental fortitude it'll require when you realize that yeah, you've done thirty, but you still have TWENTY to go.

Thanks! I don't have my computer here (still at Aileen's), but I think I hit 90 with my run today. And I wasn't shooting for much over 80 this week!

Michele - Wow, that must be reaaaally bad. We don't get those days down here, and I don't even think LA does. Still, some days are definitely worse than others.

---

Anyone want to know the best way to kill a hangover, in my opinion? Morning sex. But if your significant other basically looks at you like "try it and I'll fucking kill you," the next best thing, apparently, is a long-ass run.

I was actually excited about this one. I think it was just the change in scenery, and the fact that I knew it was dead flat, so I could run some even splits and break the run into feasible sections. I followed my 7mph, 7.5mph, 8mph plan, completing the first two hours about 25 seconds fast (each), so the run ended up being 18.66 instead of 18.5. I'll take it. HR for the first hour averaged 133, second hour 141, last half hour 154. Yeah, a bit of drift. But for not great sleep the last couple days and the last run of a 90 mile stretch, I'll write it off as expected.

Like I said above, I think I got in 90 this week. Exciting! Hoping to break 100 by the end of August.
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

https://www.facebook.com/mike.a.maclellan

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Sun Jul 31, 2011 11:24 pm

I know this is a little tardy, but that Grand Canyon run sounded like a grand adventure. Is an R2R in your future?
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Mon Aug 01, 2011 2:23 pm

Mark - I'm going to say no for now, but I wouldn't be too surprised to find myself thinking R2R2R sometime in 2013. Very Happy

---

Guess the cure-for-a-hangover comment found and tiptoed over the line. Note to self... Wink

---

5.07 recovery just now. Legs are surprisingly fresh, just a little tight. I could've gone way harder than I did, but eh, I'll save it for tomorrow's MP and Wednesday's GA. 4 more recovery tonight.
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey Mon Aug 01, 2011 2:52 pm

[quote="Mike MacLellan"]Guess the cure-for-a-hangover comment found and tiptoed over the line. Note to self... Wink

I Thought it was funny and gave me a good laugh, Mike.

Also congrats on the great week of training.

carry on. Laughing

Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mrs. Schuey Mon Aug 01, 2011 2:55 pm

Schuey wrote: I Thought it was funny and gave me a good laugh, Mike.

I agree, I thought it was funny! lol!
Mrs. Schuey
Mrs. Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  John Kilpatrick Mon Aug 01, 2011 2:56 pm

Another great week in the books, Mike. That was a great picture - I can envision you chugging up the hill. I haven't done a three hour run in a while, and only a few ever at that - still sounds intimidating.... I remember the smogging stuff from when I lived in San Diego (mid 90s). If only I had known then what I know now about running, San Diego would of been a neat place to run/ride/swim!

John Kilpatrick
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. Mon Aug 01, 2011 3:08 pm

Impressive man! That is all I can say!
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

http://www.365Competitors.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:22 pm

Glad the Schueys liked it Smile

John - SD is AWESOME for running and cycling. Wish I had done more of it myself when I was down there for school.

Kenny - Thanks! I'm surprising myself with how well I'm handling these high mile weeks. Knock on wood.

---

4 grinding "recovery" miles tonight. Pace felt harder than recovery but was only 8:30. Meh, I'm over it.

---

8 w/ 5 @ MP tomorrow morning.
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:43 pm

Mike MacLellan wrote:Mark - I'm going to say no for now, but I wouldn't be too surprised to find myself thinking R2R2R sometime in 2013. Very Happy

---

Guess the cure-for-a-hangover comment found and tiptoed over the line. Note to self... Wink

---

5.07 recovery just now. Legs are surprisingly fresh, just a little tight. I could've gone way harder than I did, but eh, I'll save it for tomorrow's MP and Wednesday's GA. 4 more recovery tonight.

Good training Mike...Way to not push the recovery run. It is better to save for later in the week when you need to give that extra bit...Good luck!!
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:55 pm

Nick - Until I blow it by pushing a little on my second one. See the following:

I forgot to mention that about halfway through the run (the second one) I heard footsteps behind me and a Garmin beep. The steps were getting ever closer by the minute (literally a minute at a time), and when they sounded about 20' behind me I decided to be a dick and surge for a hundred meters or so. Quickly put a big gap on the person (didn't near them anymore) and rounded a corner. Looked back after rounding it, since they went straight, and saw that it was... a cute girl. Damnit. Very Happy
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:58 pm

Mike MacLellan wrote:Nick - Until I blow it by pushing a little on my second one. See the following:

I forgot to mention that about halfway through the run (the second one) I heard footsteps behind me and a Garmin beep. The steps were getting ever closer by the minute (literally a minute at a time), and when they sounded about 20' behind me I decided to be a dick and surge for a hundred meters or so. Quickly put a big gap on the person (didn't near them anymore) and rounded a corner. Looked back after rounding it, since they went straight, and saw that it was... a cute girl. Damnit. Very Happy

Doh!!! Note to self, "look behide to see who is catching you before taking off!!"
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:36 am

Mike MacLellan wrote:Quickly put a big gap on the person (didn't near them anymore) and rounded a corner. Looked back after rounding it, since they went straight, and saw that it was... a cute girl. Damnit. Very Happy

Tsk, tsk, tsk... another tragic victim of testosterone poisoning. No
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:28 am

Mike MacLellan wrote:Nick - Until I blow it by pushing a little on my second one. See the following:

HaHa that's what you get rookie!
Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:22 am

Schuey wrote:

HaHa that's what you get rookie!

I guess that we learn from our mistakes...
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:05 pm

Man, you guys are harsh! Wink In my defense, I'm a one-woman man. For the next two weeks. Neutral

---

Just over 8 miles this morning, 6.09 @ MP... 6:49 average on constant rolling hills (100-150') with a net elevation gain of ~50'. It wasn't easy finding a groove (I wonder why) and the effort was slightly harder than last time... But hey, I still came in 1 second under pace and the NGP was 6:40, so I'll say it was a successful run. Looking forward to this pace feeling more comfortable, though, that's for sure.
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:16 pm

Good running!

My mom always told me all the young guys were faster than I was in the marathon and I was just running with the old ones. I needed to speed up if I were to meet a nice guy my own age.
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Tue Aug 02, 2011 2:58 pm

Julie wrote:Good running!

My mom always told me all the young guys were faster than I was in the marathon and I was just running with the old ones. I needed to speed up if I were to meet a nice guy my own age.

Ah, moms. What are you going to do?

lol!
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. Tue Aug 02, 2011 2:59 pm

Nice run today!
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:35 am

Thanks folks. Second run was a little better, but my left hamstring's been niggling lately and it was... well, pretty obnoxious tonight. Just tight and made me have to really stick to good form. Need to stretch it out before tomorrow's 15.

4.07 @ 7:53, mostly on pancake flat roads.
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:17 am

Mike MacLellan wrote:Thanks folks. Second run was a little better, but my left hamstring's been niggling lately and it was... well, pretty obnoxious tonight. Just tight and made me have to really stick to good form. Need to stretch it out before tomorrow's 15.

4.07 @ 7:53, mostly on pancake flat roads.

Nice double yesterday. I hope that your niggle goes away and doesn't become an issue. Good luck with your 15 today...
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  T Miller Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:55 am

Mark B wrote:
Mike MacLellan wrote:Quickly put a big gap on the person (didn't near them anymore) and rounded a corner. Looked back after rounding it, since they went straight, and saw that it was... a cute girl. Damnit. Very Happy

Tsk, tsk, tsk... another tragic victim of testosterone poisoning. No

Ha ha, better luck next time. Laughing
T Miller
T Miller
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:20 pm

Mike,

Lets think it as niggle. Carry on but be aware not beware! 15 in the books yet!
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Wed Aug 03, 2011 2:03 pm

Nick and Kenny - Good news; it was just a niggle, and after a couple miles ("no effort, no effort, no effort") it mostly went away. The parts of today's run that I was most concerned would make it flare up (the short and steep hills on the trail section) did nothing to make me even aware of it. Of course, it showed up as soon as I stopped running and walked up my street, but that's pretty typical for me.

---

Today's run was actually 16. I thought it was a 2-hour, but apparently I changed it on my most recent tinkering with my training plan. Either way, that worked out perfectly, as it's just under 8 to this water fountain/rest area on a local trail, and the "bad" part of the trail - the short, steep hills - is only about 2-2.5 miles long.

I was really not mentally into this run when I woke up. Nor was I into it when I started. All I could think is that the niggle+my apathy=I need a cutback week. This all changed by the end of the run...

Promised myself not to look at the watch until I turned around, because I didn't want to race a specific time today. So, I just cruised at an easy pace and let whatever happened happen. Was averaging 7:57s when I turned, and that included a 40 second pee/water stop. Took a quick swig of water from the fountain and headed back. Again, took it easy and let the paces come to me. Reminded myself that running is to clear my mind and lower my stress, not to add to it. This worked well.

Overall, 16.02 @ 7:45 average. My NGP was 7:35, 1 second slower than my NGP for the same course (except I cut it 2 miles shorter each way, so 12 miles total) 2 weeks ago, and my average HR was the same (146bpm). I like it. Apparently, my HR drift was also less than 1% (this compares HR to NGP) for the entire run. I like it even more.

Still looking forward to the cutback week next week, but I think I'll make it through the rest of this one just fine.

---

Oh, and apparently there's a fake me on Facebook. I LOL'ed.
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 11 of 27 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 19 ... 27  Next