365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Race Judicata...

+10
healdgator
Stephanie
Mrs. Schuey
Dave-O
Michele "1L" Keane
Nick Morris
Matt W
GregC
Diego
Admin
14 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Race Judicata... Empty Race Judicata...

Post  Admin Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:00 pm

Looks like our very own Dave-O will not get to defend his title of fastest lawyer in Chicago...

"Important Update:
Race Judicata® 2011 has carefully reviewed the weather conditions for Chicago at 6 pm on Thursday, July 21st. The projected heat index has approached the level of caution for athletic participation. Based on this data a recommendation was made to the staff to disable the timing mats and convert the event into a 5K charity walk effective immediately. The heat index for the race start is expected to be between 101-104 degrees which jeopardizes the safety of all runners. The heat index is a measure of humidity and temperature. There are specific guidelines / recommendations for safety of athletes participating when heat indexes reach the current predicted level. After reviewing the weather forecast and projected heat indexes the staff has considered the recommendation and will accept the advisement received to reduce the risk of all running participants."

Sorry, Dave!

Last edited by Mr MattM on Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:19 pm; edited 1 time in total

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Race Judicata... Empty Re: Race Judicata...

Post  Diego Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:07 pm

Wimps, they just don't want to see Dave raise the gavel one more time.

I am surprised for a 5k that they'd do this, but I expect there are some who would run this 5k without any training or accclimatization(which would put them at risk).

Heat indices in Texas, Alabama and Florida for the second of the two-a-day football practices are routinely 100-109. So I think it's the novices that they are worried about.
Diego
Diego
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  GregC Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:17 pm

And Dave retains his title for one more year!!
GregC
GregC
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Matt W Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:29 pm

So did he do the 12 x 400 yesterday? I guess it doesn't matter now.

Maybe he could show up and race walk it.
Matt W
Matt W
Poster
Poster

http://www.redrockrunningcompany.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Tue Jul 19, 2011 3:19 pm

I that is a smart idea. Glad to here that decision was made.
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Tue Jul 19, 2011 3:24 pm

Smart decision.

As for those 2 a day workouts, I know that my daughter's high school has suspended all afternoon sports activities (except the weight room) for the time being until the heat indexes are more normal. No school wants a law suit, and I guess no "law" race wants one either.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Diego Tue Jul 19, 2011 3:31 pm

Michele "1L" Keane wrote:Smart decision.

As for those 2 a day workouts, I know that my daughter's high school has suspended all afternoon sports activities (except the weight room) for the time being until the heat indexes are more normal. No school wants a law suit, and I guess no "law" race wants one either.

Southern Football and rationality can never mentioned in the same sentence. And the cow is already out of the barn in so far as lawsuits are concerned--heat related deaths, sickle cell trait related , etc.

It's nice to see that the 2007 Minneapolis and Chicago marathon heat illness problems have brought some new common sense to the forefront, but it is still surprising to me that they cancelled it.
Diego
Diego
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave-O Tue Jul 19, 2011 3:58 pm

Well, I'm not sure it's truly been "cancelled."

Off the record: I've spoken with a handful of other lawyer-runners, including first year associate Matt F. (he of the 2:22 at Grandma's), and we've agreed to race each other without the clock and report back to the RD with the results based on the honor system.

So barring a huge upset, my three-year reign as fastest attorney will unofficially come to an end. I don't want the crown on a technicality.
Dave-O
Dave-O

http://www.fleetfeetchicago.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave-O Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:00 pm

Matt W wrote:

So did he do the 12 x 400 yesterday? I guess it doesn't matter now.

Because I did my long run last weekend on Sunday evening, coupled with the extreme heat, I decided against the 400's. Just easy mileage and strides Monday through Wednesday.
Dave-O
Dave-O

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave-O Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:12 pm

Mr MattM wrote:Looks like our very own Dave-O will not get to defend his title of fastest lawyer in Chicago...

"Important Update:
Race Judicata® 2011 has carefully reviewed the weather conditions for Chicago at 6 pm on Thursday, July 21st. The projected heat index has approached the level of caution for athletic participation. Based on this data a recommendation was made to the staff to disable the timing mats and convert the event into a 5K charity walk effective immediately. The heat index for the race start is expected to be between 101-104 degrees which jeopardizes the safety of all runners. The heat index is a measure of humidity and temperature. There are specific guidelines / recommendations for safety of athletes participating when heat indexes reach the current predicted level. After reviewing the weather forecast and projected heat indexes the staff has considered the recommendation and will accept the advisement received to reduce the risk of all running participants."

Sorry, Dave!

Just out of curiosit -how'd you get that notification? Or you hacking my emails or just stalking the race websites?
Dave-O
Dave-O

Back to top Go down

Post  Mrs. Schuey Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:33 pm

Dave-O wrote:
Mr MattM wrote:Looks like our very own Dave-O will not get to defend his title of fastest lawyer in Chicago...

"Important Update:

Sorry, Dave!

Just out of curiosit -how'd you get that notification?

It's on the homepage of the website: http://www.cvls.org/judicata
Mrs. Schuey
Mrs. Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Stephanie Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:43 pm

Dave-O wrote:Well, I'm not sure it's truly been "cancelled."

Off the record: I've spoken with a handful of other lawyer-runners, including first year associate Matt F. (he of the 2:22 at Grandma's), and we've agreed to race each other without the clock and report back to the RD with the results based on the honor system.

So barring a huge upset, my three-year reign as fastest attorney will unofficially come to an end. I don't want the crown on a technicality.
Is he your biggest competitor? Go kick some rookie-lawyer ass Dave-O!
Stephanie
Stephanie
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:47 pm

Dave-O wrote:

Just out of curiosit -how'd you get that notification? Or you hacking my emails or just stalking the race websites?

Maybe I actually have a law degree and was a registered participant... (ok, it was DKlee).

Stephanie O wrote:
Dave-O wrote:Well, I'm not sure it's truly been "cancelled."

Perhaps you missed the whole '2:22 at Grandma's'? lol...

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave-O Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:34 pm

Mr MattM wrote:

Stephanie O wrote:

Fo' real. If that's not clear, how 'bout the 19:47 4-miler two weeks ago? scratch

But it will be fun regardless. How can a race with ample free beer afterwards not be? drunken
Dave-O
Dave-O

Back to top Go down

Post  Mrs. Schuey Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:55 pm

Dave-O wrote:How can a race with ample free beer afterwards not be? drunken
Approval Approval
Mrs. Schuey
Mrs. Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Diego Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:42 am

Dave-O wrote:
Mr MattM wrote:

Stephanie O wrote:

Fo' real. If that's not clear, how 'bout the 19:47 4-miler two weeks ago? scratch

But it will be fun regardless. How can a race with ample free beer afterwards not be? drunken

So do lawyers get DUI's, too or do you have special immunity from the DA's office for this race?clown drunken
Diego
Diego
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  healdgator Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:12 am

Dave-O wrote:
Mr MattM wrote:

Stephanie O wrote:

There would need to be a ton of beer to make up for that many lawyers in one place. it's like my worst nightmare.
healdgator
healdgator
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  carleenp Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:41 am

healdgator wrote:
Dave-O wrote:
Mr MattM wrote:

Stephanie O wrote:

There would need to be a ton of beer to make up for that many lawyers in one place. it's like my worst nightmare.

Lawyers are actually quite fun when they drink! drunken drunken drunken I have some good experience with that! drunken drunken drunken

I have a race Thursday night too (Sundowner 5k in Joliet), but I have already decided to skip it if they don't cancel it, unless a T-stom comes through and cools things down or something. They have a nice BBQ and beer with it though, so I might still go and walk it or slow jog it or something. I don't handle heat all that well, especially not monkey hot crazy heat! Although I did get a 5k PR last year in 91 degree weather.... scratch
carleenp
carleenp
Regular
Regular

http://beautyandfashiontech.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Bob Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:47 am

carleenp wrote:
I have a race Thursday night too (Sundowner 5k in Joliet), but I have already decided to skip it if they don't cancel it, unless a T-stom comes through and cools things down or something. They have a nice BBQ and beer with it though, so I might still go and walk it or slow jog it or something. I don't handle heat all that well, especially not monkey hot crazy heat! Although I did get a 5k PR last year in 91 degree weather.... scratch

Well dang...that's just right down the road from my house. I love Pilcher Park and run there occasionally.

But, between the hot weather and an already planned pool party, I doubt I'll make it.
Bob
Bob
Lord Bobby
Lord Bobby

Back to top Go down

Post  carleenp Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:00 pm

Bob wrote:
carleenp wrote:

Well dang...that's just right down the road from my house. I love Pilcher Park and run there occasionally.

But, between the hot weather and an already planned pool party, I doubt I'll make it.

With this weather, I would take the pool over the race any day! But keep an eye out for that race next year. They do a pretty nice job with it and have a nice little cookout afterward. Plus, since Piltcher is all shaded, it usually isn't too bad heat wise unless it gets really hot like it is right now.
carleenp
carleenp
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:44 pm

carleenp wrote:
Bob wrote:
carleenp wrote:

With this weather, I would take the pool over the race any day! But keep an eye out for that race next year. They do a pretty nice job with it and have a nice little cookout afterward. Plus, since Piltcher is all shaded, it usually isn't too bad heat wise unless it gets really hot like it is right now.

My parents use to live in Homer Glenn and I would do some of my 20 plus milers out there and run through some of Joliet. Funny I never heard of Piltcher Park. I do plan on going a little more West and checking out some of the trails out at Starved Rock. Bob, Colleen have either one of you done any runs out there?
Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  rhondda h Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:25 am

Schuey, you are talking about heading to my neck of the woods! The trails actually in Starved Rock are basically somewhat narrow crowded hiking trails, probably not suitable for a very good run. I would recommend the IL/MI canal right there though, it's beautiful and you can go for miles and miles and probably see almost no one, passing ponds, streams, etc. A lot of shade, crushed limestone. There are also very nice trails at either Buffalo Rock (where the local high school meets are run) or Matheissen (Deer Park), both within about 5-10 miles of Starved Rock . If you hop on the I/M canal near Starved Rock, you would probably want to head west (although east would take you toward where I run) because a key section of the canal trail between SR and my house is closed by DNR because of a dispute with a nearby shooting range and a safety issue. You might be ok wearing an orange hat but DNR will give you a ticket if they catch you. Have fun, it's a beautiful area and post run, I'd recommend stopping in downtown Utica for a burger and a beer, a couple of very homey taverns with good food. Small town America at it's best.
rhondda h
rhondda h

Back to top Go down

Post  carleenp Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:59 pm

+1 on the IM canal. I love that trail! I run it closer to Joliet, usually starting in Channahon at the Four Rivers Environmental Center because it has a restroom and water fountain there. The Heritage Corridor 25k starts from there too. I have biked the trail clear to Ottawa and hiked parts around Starved Rock. It is all quite nice!

Last edited by carleenp on Thu Jul 21, 2011 2:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
carleenp
carleenp
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave-O Thu Jul 21, 2011 2:04 pm

Hey, it's only 94 right now. And I've convinced myself that the heat is actually a great equalizer. Let's do it!
Dave-O
Dave-O

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey Thu Jul 21, 2011 2:19 pm

rhondda h wrote:Schuey, you are talking about heading to my neck of the woods! The trails actually in Starved Rock are basically somewhat narrow crowded hiking trails, probably not suitable for a very good run. I would recommend the IL/MI canal right there though, it's beautiful and you can go for miles and miles and probably see almost no one, passing ponds, streams, etc. A lot of shade, crushed limestone. There are also very nice trails at either Buffalo Rock (where the local high school meets are run) or Matheissen (Deer Park), both within about 5-10 miles of Starved Rock . If you hop on the I/M canal near Starved Rock, you would probably want to head west (although east would take you toward where I run) because a key section of the canal trail between SR and my house is closed by DNR because of a dispute with a nearby shooting range and a safety issue. You might be ok wearing an orange hat but DNR will give you a ticket if they catch you. Have fun, it's a beautiful area and post run, I'd recommend stopping in downtown Utica for a burger and a beer, a couple of very homey taverns with good food. Small town America at it's best.

Thanks for the info Rhondda. Maybe we can get in touch and when I come out that way we can get together post run.

carleenp wrote:+1 on the IM canal. I love that trail! I run it closer to Joliet, usually starting in Channahon at the Four Rivers Environmental Center because it has a restroom and water fountain there. The Heritage Corridor 25k starts from there too. I have biked the trial clear to Ottawa and hiked parts around Starved Rock. It is all quite nice!

Thanks Colleen

Dave-O wrote:Hey, it's only 94 right now. And I've convinced myself that the heat is actually a great equalizer. Let's do it!

Yeah only 94 feels like 106, but hey like you said "Let's do it!" You can handle a 5k in this stuff right Dave? affraid
Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next