365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

50 Ultra question

+9
Julie
Michele "1L" Keane
Dave-O
Jeff F
KBFitz
Jim Lentz
Schuey
Mike MacLellan
Kenny B.
13 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

50 Ultra question - Page 2 Empty Re: 50 Ultra question

Post  Julie Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:15 am

I had thought about Chicago Lakefront 50 but I already did the 50K and would like to get another state as long as we're traveling for another race (still working on my 50 states).
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim Lentz Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:24 am

Alex Kubacki wrote:Julie I'm kind of in the same thinking as you. I want to do a 50M. I do plan to give myself 3 decent shots to BQ first starting in the spring. Then I look to do a 50M in the fall of 2013.

I don't have much for trails near me so I was thinking of maybe that Chicago Lakefront 50M.

The Chicago Lakefront 50M race is great for a relatively easy and flat race. It is 4 x 12.5 mile loops and

you can get people to run a loop or two with you. It is small and they have good aid stations and a couple of places for drop bags. With it being 4 loops I usually jsut have a drop bag at the start. Here is their website.

I have read to train for an ultra you want you long runs to get up to 50-60% of the race distance. For a 50M

race that is 25-30 miles.
Jim Lentz
Jim Lentz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:54 am

So Jim you would run a marathon or 50K as a training run for a 50 miler? What does your 50 mile training look like?
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeff F Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:15 am

Julie wrote:So Jim you would run a marathon or 50K as a training run for a 50 miler? What does your 50 mile training look like?

Sorry I am not Jim. Julie, earlier this year I ran a marathon in March, April and May in preparation for my 50 miler that I did in June. My 50 M was in a 12-hour timed event. My target marathon was in April (Boston) and just followed modified Hal's Intermediate II plan to increase the miles. I did the March marathon really as a long training run, and the May marathon as another training run. I did one more 20 miler two weeks out from the 50 M and did a two week taper. I don't have my log with me but my peak week in training was a little over 60 miles and I probably averaged around 40/week from Feburary through May. So you can do a 50 miler without having to do 70-80 miles/week.
Jeff F
Jeff F
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim Lentz Thu Aug 25, 2011 1:36 pm

Julie wrote:So Jim you would run a marathon or 50K as a training run for a 50 miler? What does your 50 mile training look like?

Julie, I have used a marathon as a training run 3 weeks before a 50K and the same for a 50M race. One year I ran 9 miles to a marathon and then ran the race in 4:15 as preparation for a 50M race 3 weeks later. When training for the longer races I typically run 4-5 days per week with easier paces. I also don't typically do back-to-back long runs, but believe in a couple of longer mid-week runs. Here is an example of a peak week I did once in training for a 50M race:

Monday- 10 miles easy

Tuesday- rest

Wednesday-15 miles easy

Thursday- rest

Friday- 10 miles w 2 at MP

Saturday- 25 miles easy

With only 4 days of running I had in 60 miles and did fairly well in the 50M race that year. I think getting in longer runs with fewer days running prepares you better than more shorter runs does.
Jim Lentz
Jim Lentz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry Thu Aug 25, 2011 1:39 pm

I first thought Kenny had 50 questions about ultra. Kenny always skips UOM. Last time I showed my 9 years old Kenny's 356competitors waist band.

She said instantly: This is not right. It misses "Days". lol!
Jerry
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Thu Aug 25, 2011 2:37 pm

Jim Lentz wrote:

Julie, I have used a marathon as a training run 3 weeks before a 50K and the same for a 50M race. One year I ran 9 miles to a marathon and then ran the race in 4:15 as preparation for a 50M race 3 weeks later. When training for the longer races I typically run 4-5 days per week with easier paces. I also don't typically do back-to-back long runs, but believe in a couple of longer mid-week runs. Here is an example of a peak week I did once in training for a 50M race:

Monday- 10 miles easy

Tuesday- rest

Wednesday-15 miles easy

Thursday- rest

Friday- 10 miles w 2 at MP

Saturday- 25 miles easy

With only 4 days of running I had in 60 miles and did fairly well in the 50M race that year. I think getting in longer runs with fewer days running prepares you better than more shorter runs does.

That looks really manageable. I know it would be a time commitment but it doesn't look like that much more than I am doing now, running about 55 miles across 5-6 days, plenty of weeks have 2 10-12 milers in addition to a 17-20 on the wkend. Perhaps this goal isn't so out of reach. If I picked a fall marathon I could always run a marathon within the general area before and run miles before.

I don't want to get overly confident as I do know it's a very big mental and physical feat but it does look like something with plenty of preparation I could attempt.

Awesome, now you have me excited for something that might not happen for 2-3 years! Very Happy
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Ben Z Wed Aug 31, 2011 3:52 pm

Best advice I ever received about an ultra (and I have done one and only one with lots of elevation gain and loss) was the so-called ultra-marathoner's mantra: If you can't see the top, walk it."

Like Schuey said early on you can actually save energy (I would disagree on saving time on the particular hill - but yes, time saved over the ultimate distance) by power-walking the big hills. Similar to the patience you need to show in a marathon (e.g., "every minute saved the first half equals more than a minute lost the second half" type mentality). So it only makes sense to assume this applies even more to a longer race such as an ultra.

In the little bit of specific ultra-training I have done I did incorporate walking breaks in to my Sunday long run when I was trying to spend more than 3 hours on my feet otherwise I guessed it would take way too long to recover. I don't put too much emphasis on a single workout though I must say - more about each week.
Ben Z
Ben Z
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. Wed Aug 31, 2011 3:53 pm

Ben Z wrote:Best advice I ever received about an ultra (and I have done one and only one with lots of elevation gain and loss) was the so-called ultra-marathoner's mantra: If you can't see the top, walk it."

Like Schuey said early on you can actually save energy (I would disagree on saving time on the particular hill - but yes, time saved over the ultimate distance) by power-walking the big hills. Similar to the patience you need to show in a marathon (e.g., "every minute saved the first half equals more than a minute lost the second half" type mentality). So it only makes sense to assume this applies even more to a longer race such as an ultra.

In the little bit of specific ultra-training I have done I did incorporate walking breaks in to my Sunday long run when I was trying to spend more than 3 hours on my feet otherwise I guessed it would take way too long to recover. I don't put too much emphasis on a single workout though I must say - more about each week.

Thanks and agree!
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

http://www.365Competitors.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2