365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Marathons less dangerous than Tris?

5 posters

Go down

Marathons less dangerous than Tris? Empty Marathons less dangerous than Tris?

Post  Jack_Scaff Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:59 pm

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2011/08/08/national/a114025D44.DTL&tsp=1

Most interesting was this comment:

a 2009 study by the Minneapolis Heart Institute that found athletes participating in triathlons have twice the risk of sudden death as those running in marathons. He also pointed out a recent study published in The Journal of the American Medical Association that found 14 people died while participating in triathlons, 13 of them while swimming, from 2006 to 2008

Jack_Scaff
Jack_Scaff
Poster
Poster

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?CityName=Concord&st

Back to top Go down

Marathons less dangerous than Tris? Empty Re: Marathons less dangerous than Tris?

Post  Jerry Mon Aug 08, 2011 5:00 pm

We will stay with running then. lol!
Jerry
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Marathons less dangerous than Tris? Empty Re: Marathons less dangerous than Tris?

Post  Liz R Mon Aug 08, 2011 5:43 pm

Hey, I remember years and years ago triathletes were sickened by bugs in the water in the swim portion of a race. Don't remember if anyone died, but I remember that finding the cause of the sickness was very difficult.

It hasn't stopped me from swimming in lakes.

Liz R
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:10 pm

Of course, its much harder to drown in a marathon, though I came close during yesterday's long run in the rain!
Michael Enright
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Wed Aug 10, 2011 1:54 pm

I think it is the panic that arises during the swim that would not bother a marathoner. I've been a competitive swimmer most of my life, but swimming in packs of 100s over and around each other is a bit crazy if you ask me. I've done a few smaller tris and in fact, I'm doing one this weekend, but the longer the swim, the more chance there is for error.

We do have a problem with algae here in western NY state due to the very hot weather we had this summer which propagates weed growth. Many of the lake beaches are closed. I understand that back home, the lake water is so warm (90F+), that triathletes are being told not to swim for too long a period of time in open water for fear of dehydration and heat exhaustion.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down