365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Boston in The Crosshairs

+6
JohnP
Julie
Jim Lentz
jon c
Seth Harrison
fostever
10 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Boston in The Crosshairs - Page 2 Empty Re: Boston in The Crosshairs

Post  Seth Harrison Fri Sep 23, 2011 5:35 pm

Today, did my last pace run which was way too fast, but I tend to do that on the shorter ones. 4.09mi @6:43 pace. This should make a 7:15 pace feel slow, at least for the first half, anyway. [/quote]

That looks more like a tempo run than pace run, but at any rate you're absolutely right, it will make 7:15 feel that much slower. It looks like you're peaking at the perfect time.
Seth Harrison
Seth Harrison
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Seth Harrison Fri Sep 23, 2011 5:36 pm

fostever wrote:Today, did my last pace run which was way too fast, but I tend to do that on the shorter ones. 4.09mi @6:43 pace. This should make a 7:15 pace feel slow, at least for the first half, anyway.

That looks more like a tempo run than pace run, but at any rate you're
absolutely right, it will make 7:15 feel that much slower. It looks like
you're peaking at the perfect time.

Sorry for the double post!
Seth Harrison
Seth Harrison
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  JohnP Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:54 pm

That's a pretty impressive goal, I hope it all works out well. Good job on the pacing too, I always hate when the pacers go out too fast, or even too slow and then need to catch up.
JohnP
JohnP
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  fostever Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:56 pm

Seth Harrison wrote:
fostever wrote:Today, did my last pace run which was way too fast, but I tend to do that on the shorter ones. 4.09mi @6:43 pace. This should make a 7:15 pace feel slow, at least for the first half, anyway.

That looks more like a tempo run than pace run, but at any rate you're
absolutely right, it will make 7:15 feel that much slower. It looks like
you're peaking at the perfect time.

Sorry for the double post!
Yeah, there's different definitions for tempo and pace runs. On Hal's definition a tempo is a build up to a peak pace and then back down to starting pace. His pace runs on the schedules are supposed to be staedy state runs at your anticipated marathon goal pace so that is what I'm describing. Obviously not in the range I'm shooting for. But the pace felt strong but not all out and I was surprised that even for 4 miles it came in at that pace. But yes, I feel confident that I'm peaking even with a low mileage cycle that Hals intermediate plan entails. The strength and biking has helped a bit also. Just glad there's no major niggles at this point only the usual minor annoyances that seem to creep in after the peak.

JohnP wrote:That's a pretty impressive goal, I hope it all works out well. Good job on the pacing too, I always hate when the pacers go out too fast, or even too slow and then need to catch up.
Amen to that, they are only human but you'd hope they have enough practice to get within at least 5-10 seconds either way at first and then start hiting it consistently, especially with the added help of the modern technology available. Not that impressive, it's all relative. My first 'thon was 3:15 and have not been able to get within 5 minutes of that since.
fostever
fostever
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  fostever Tue Sep 27, 2011 1:12 pm

Well it's been a crazy weather situation lately and looks like we won't see much of the sun until Thursday. Been able to get some dry runs in in between shower bands. Saturday was a erratic group run with splits ranging from 7:35- 8:10 with an average at 7:52 for the 12 miles when all was said and done. Only 5 total runners in our group so we all just laughed off the pace swings. I said it was ok to jump around on these last taper long runs to get a feel for the different paces we might encounter during the race. Next week will be 8mi and a group breakfast after.

Sunday was our annual family bike tour in Michigan that was soggy as all get out. Ended up doing 37 miles instead of 50 with the last 6-8 in a driving rain. Funny the sun kind of broke through about an hour after we finished. Had fun though as it was sunny on Saturday afternoon for the pre-ride festivities and camp set up with the forecast rain coming about 2am.

Yesterday waited until midday to run my scheduled 4mi with the dog at an 8:46 recovery pace.

Still waiting for the rain to let up for my 5 miler today.scratch
fostever
fostever
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim Lentz Tue Sep 27, 2011 2:55 pm

Has it dried up for your run yet?
Jim Lentz
Jim Lentz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:04 pm

Wet bike rides aren't that appealing to me, but good for you! Do you guys need the rain?
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  fostever Sat Oct 08, 2011 12:14 am

Yes a little late Jim, but yes rain stopped got the run in. Now they keep raising the high temps for Sunday, oh well no excuses Evil or Very Mad Good running and racing to all!
fostever
fostever
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  fostever Sun Oct 16, 2011 2:24 pm

Steve Foster #2867

Chicago, IL, USAAge: 50 Gender: M

clockFromString("3:15:35");
Boston in The Crosshairs - Page 2 Digit_3Boston in The Crosshairs - Page 2 Digit_58Boston in The Crosshairs - Page 2 Digit_1Boston in The Crosshairs - Page 2 Digit_5Boston in The Crosshairs - Page 2 Digit_58Boston in The Crosshairs - Page 2 Digit_3Boston in The Crosshairs - Page 2 Digit_5

DistanceMAR
Clock Time3:16:37
Chip Time3:15:35
Overall Place2015 / 33703
Gender Place1802 / 19077
Division Place59 / 33703
Net 5K0:22:27
Net 10K0:44:45
Net 15K1:07:10
Net 20K1:29:36
Net Half1:34:32
Net 25K1:52:34
Net 30K2:15:34
Net 35K2:39:25
Net 40K3:04:29

Name (required)

Time total (netto)03:14:41

Splits 2011

SplitTimeMin/mile
05K0:22:22 l 7:14
10K0:45:06 l7:17
15K1:07:39 l7:16
20K1:30:28 l7:21
HALF1:35:31 l7:25
25K1:53:27 l 7:24
30K2:17:10 l7:38
35K2:40:39 l7:34
40K3:04:24 l7:39
Finish3:14:41 l7:32

Ok, after much difficulty I finally pasted this comparison from my 2009 Chicago split time and the 2011 splits. The reason i wanted to show this is because at 40K the times were almost identical. the difference was I felt a lot stronger this year in that last 2K as I was kind of holding back due to fear of blowing up in the heat. apparently between 25k and 30k was where I stopped to re-tie my left shoe due to the blister where it was digging in. I feel confident a sub 3:10 is doable in the near future with the right scenarios.

fostever
fostever
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Seth Harrison Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:30 am

You were looking great at the end Steve. No question stopping to tie your shoes and holding back due to the heat cost you time. You're probably a lot closer to 3:10 than you are to 3:15.
Seth Harrison
Seth Harrison
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  fostever Wed Nov 23, 2011 1:31 pm

OK, so now that I'm catching a breather during the Medicare AEP I'll take this opportunity to update where I'm at. I started back running after 4 days of rest after Chicago as I felt almost no major aches or pains after the race beside the usual tightness/soreness. The first couple weeks I followed Hal's reverse taper for intermediate, the only difference was I wasn't planning on racing at the end of the 4th week. So I've built up slowly to about 30 miles a week throwing in 2 tempos per week and last week only ran 6 miles for my long run. I'd only gotten back up to a 10 mi long run the week before. So last week's total went back down to 25. I'm actually doing a taper this week for the 8K Turkey Trot that my wife and I are doing on Thursday. Did a little 3 mile treadmill tempo Monday peaking at 6:15 for a quarter mile just to get a feel for my target race pace. I feel like I'm still carrying a good amount of residual fitness carrying over from the marathon cycle. We ran this race back in 2009 after my Chicago marathon debut and I managed to win the 50-54 AG in 32 min and some change. I checked last year's results and I think it was a 31min time that topped our AG. In 2008 it was a 28 min. So it all depends who shows up from the local elite pool. The race usually has about 5000 runners so it's a fairly sizable race and they are calling for a nice day this year so it could be a large turn out. I'd like to lower my PR and get close to breakng 31min if possible. If that gets me the $25 gift certificate so be it. After this race I'll probably maintain an easy 25-30 weekly total 5 times a week with 2-3 times for core and upper body strength workouts. There is a trail 5K the 3rd week of December which is part of a progressive series which I'm using as part of my Boston training and base. So that's my update and hope to continue avoiding injury by incremental gains, the most I can ask for at this age. After reading Pete McGill's Running Times article about why master's runners continue through multiple injuries I realized I'm in good company in the injury department, but would like to avoid that area of the corporation from now on! LOL Laughing
fostever
fostever
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2