365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What do you like best?

+22
KathyK
Paula Sue
Matt W
Dave Wolfe
JohnP
Mike MacLellan
dot520
Seth Harrison
Michele "1L" Keane
Sam from RonItch!
Kenny B.
Jerry
Pete B
Mrs. Schuey
Chris M
Admin
mul21
Peg Coover
Dave-O
charles
Michael Mitchell
Schuey
26 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

What do you like best? Empty What do you like best?

Post  Schuey Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:43 am

Well I guess maybe you could hate it so what do you find to be the most beneficial training workout? And why? Good morning I-Team Very Happy

1.Easy runs
2.Recovery runs
3.Long runs
4.Tempo/LT type of runs
5.Intervals/Speedwork
6.Fartlek runs
7.Days off
8.I hate all of them you are nuts to run
9.Any other type of training run

You can like more then one that's ok too
Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

What do you like best? Empty Re: What do you like best?

Post  Michael Mitchell Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:00 am

Number 4. I love the lazy, hazy 7:15 to 7:30 paced runs that just go on without stress or worry. Like Meb states, you just go through the miles without thinking.
Michael Mitchell
Michael Mitchell
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

http://www.letsrun.com

Back to top Go down

Post  charles Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:10 am

I like the long run - when you are whipped but finish strong. Not so much when it is 85 degrees and the dew point is 75 and you are just beat to a pulp by the end.

I think one of the most important runs for me is Monday morning. Usually an easy 5 to 6 miler but it gets me fired up for the week ahead! One could also say that your next run is the most important = CONSISTENCY
charles
charles
Poster
Poster

http://www.memphis-defense.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave-O Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:38 am

Tempo run. For me its right in that sweet spot of smooth but difficult running. I guess that probably why my 10-mile and half marathon times have been my best according to the calculators.

Long runs don't come naturally to me. I get them done, but definitely don't look forward to them.
Dave-O
Dave-O

http://www.fleetfeetchicago.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Peg Coover Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:50 am

I think I like intervals, although I do them just in the spring. But the workout goes fast. It's a hard workout, but flies by! When it's all said and done, after a warmup and cooldown, I have put in a lot of miles with a good effort. I feel a sense of satisfaction that the other workouts don't quite give me.

Second best is probably the long run--something to look forward to and I love the build up when following a marathon plan.
Peg Coover
Peg Coover
Regular
Regular

http://web.mac.com/cooverp/MrsCoover/Welcome.html

Back to top Go down

Post  mul21 Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:30 am

Dave-O wrote:Tempo run. For me its right in that sweet spot of smooth but difficult running. I guess that probably why my 10-mile and half marathon times have been my best according to the calculators.

Long runs don't come naturally to me. I get them done, but definitely don't look forward to them.

This! Maybe this is why Dave's plan worked well for me. I used to hate these and now the track work I used to love is much tougher on me.
mul21
mul21
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:32 am

Any run where my legs feel like pistons and I feel like I'm gliding. When that happens, it's pure goodness.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris M Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:51 am

The ones I "like" the most are easy/GA runs. I really don't pay any attention to the watch and "just run" and kind of float along. Unless I'm really beat up from training, I find I usually do these at about MP+30 seconds. For me, they are usually in the 7:15-7:30 range and really enjoyable 8-10 mile float runs. I force myself - usually by using the mill - to go slower for recovery runs and that's difficult on me if I'm outside so I associate recovery runs with watching TV shows and that's enjoyable too. Running a very easy pace (8:00-8:34) and watching TV.

The runs I do "best" at are track repeat of 400/800/1600. I don't know why. Something about being at the track makes me feel faster and then I run faster and I do well when a rest interval is always right around the corner. 800s are probably the single workout I do best. I've done 10x800 at 2:51 but my marathon PR is 3:09 so I'm running 800s a lot better than I'm running marathons!

The runs I "dread" but are generally fine are long runs. Frankly, boredom and just budgetting the time to do them is the hard thing. The runs themselves are long, uneventful and....boring.

The runs I find "hardest" are Fast Continous Runs or Tempos done at a steady pace of anywhere from 10k to Half Marathon. I also think these are the single run/workout I benefit most from. Its a difficult pace range for me to stay comfortable at for the time period, which is usually 3-6 miles at tempo pace. Let me enter a local 10K, and its easy to roll through 6+ miles at say 15K pace. But go out there solo in the morning on the path and do 4-6 miles at the same pace? Hard mentally!
Chris M
Chris M
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mrs. Schuey Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:55 am

My gut reaction is #8 Smile Smile

My serious answer is #6.
Mrs. Schuey
Mrs. Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Pete B Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:16 am

Like - as in like doing? I don't know if I like doing any of them.

Like - as in like it when you are finished? All of them, especially a tough nut like a Marathon Pace Saturday run where you are apprehensive of your ability to go out and nail it, then bang out an 8 miler at 30 seconds per mile under your goal MP. Yeah baby!!
Pete B
Pete B
Poster
Poster

http://www.ahouseinthewoods.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:20 am

I hate them all, but know I will have to run in order to hang out with you cool kids. Sleep

Like: easy 8-10 miles.

Most beneficial: 12 miles mid distance to long run of cause.

In quality workout category, I will have to pick tempo. Tempo also helps me to learn well the half pace, the line I know I should not cross during the half race.
Jerry
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:21 am

Favorite to least Favorite Most beneficial I think is a combination of all of them but If I had to pick one I'd say GA runs followed by strides.

1. GA Runs - On the easy side of hard or the hard side of easy. It won't tax me but it will give me a good workout.

2. Long Runs - Overall I love going the distance especially Sunday's. 2-3+ hours outdoors in the wild (road, trails) is just dam peaceful. I believe Ultra's are in my future for this reason but the wife ain't havin' it for now.

3. Intervals/Repeats - Nothing bad about cleaning the pipes out. 400 to 800's my favorite. I can do 6-8 miles with 6x800's and feel like a million bucks after I am done. It hurts half way through but then I get that second wind.

4.Easy/Recovery runs - What's not to like. Especially after 1-2 hard days in a row

5.Tempo/LT type of runs - Getting close to my least favorite if you are calling these FCR from 4-7 miles @ 10k-HM pace. These are never easy border line killer especially in the summer months. I hate them so much that I prepare myself weeks in advance by doing 3x1mile or 2x2mile before I start a FCR in my schedule.

6.Fartlek runs - I have tried these in the past and never enjoyed them. To sporadic for me I prefer something a bit more planned out. I was never a stop and go guy. The closes I come to this (which I do enjoy are 100m strides)

7.Days off - We have a love hate relationship.
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

http://www.365Competitors.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:37 am

To be honest I would have to say it depends on the day!haha

It also comes down to what type of race I'm training for an also were I am at in the training phase.

So I would have to say I really enjoy doing the 8-10 mile easy runs were as chris would say "floating" during the run. The run is short enough but long enough to go out and just enjoy but also enough to gain some good old aerobic fitness.

The one that I forgot to add to the list and Pete touched on is pace runs! These runs I think are huge for marathon training. They really help me get use to what mp will feel like on race day. All though I do believe I don't know what my mp will truly be until race day. These runs are also my toughest to bang out!

I also feel tempo/LT runs are huge for all race distances this just might be one the biggest runs to do but many stay away from them. Why? Because they hurt like a mother! I do believe the more you do them the more comfortable I have become with them. I do have to say that it is one of the toughest runs to do alone.

Now my other most favorite and I feel most beneficial run I do is the long fartlek run. Yep I truly believe for me this is the one of the key workouts that has helped my race times other then more miles and consistency. I really think this run stimulates a marathon very well. I know that I can't run the same pace for 26.2 miles. So this run allows me and teaches me how to slowdown,speed up and how to deal with tough patches during a run. What this then equals to is putting me into a race day situation and when it does happen on race day I'm ready to handle whatever the race throws at me.
Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Sam from RonItch! Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:47 am

I've liked different runs through all stages of my running life, but I've always really not loved easy runs, the ones at 50-65%. I remember actually trying to read a book while I was running that easily when I was 15,16, something like that. I love being around 85-90%, just makes my body feel really happy.( And now I'm really in love with cycling too, but don't tell anyone I'm not just a runner anymore..)
Sam from RonItch!
Sam from RonItch!

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Thu Jun 16, 2011 12:56 pm

I love tempo and speedwork days as I still love to run fast without too much pain. (My speedwork days always seem easier than races - no anxiety I guess even at a faster pace).

I dread long runs and the tedium. Maybe this is why I'm better at the middle distances - 15K through half.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Seth Harrison Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:57 pm

I'd say it's a toss up between tempo and long runs.
I love a hard tempo run, where I feel like I've left all or most of it out there.
I also love getting into a zone during a long run and just cruising along. My favorite long runs are the 3/1 variety. They've always been the best confidence boosters towards the end of a marathon training cycle.
Seth Harrison
Seth Harrison
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  dot520 Thu Jun 16, 2011 3:27 pm

LSD, especially for the half marathon distance where you do a lot of 10-14 mile long runs. More and more I'm enjoying the speed intervals (not the hill intervals) that I get to do alternating weeks. Sprinting comes naturally for me as does trudging.
dot520
dot520
Top 10 Poster Emeritus
Top 10 Poster Emeritus

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris M Thu Jun 16, 2011 3:38 pm

dot520 wrote:LSD, especially for the half marathon distance where you do a lot of 10-14 mile long runs. More and more I'm enjoying the speed intervals (not the hill intervals) that I get to do alternating weeks. Sprinting comes naturally for me as does trudging.
Dot reminded me....put "hill work" at dead last for me on any list of "likes". Yeah, I know they are great for you but I find longish hill sprints to be absolutely brutal. I hate that I'm not actually going all that fast and yet my lungs and legs are being ripped in half. Whether its MP for 0.5 at 5% on the mill or the outdoor hills, I hate doing sprints up those things.
Chris M
Chris M
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Thu Jun 16, 2011 5:16 pm

Schuey wrote:
1.Easy runs
2.Recovery runs
3.Long runs
4.Tempo/LT type of runs

5.Intervals/Speedwork
6.Fartlek runs, but only on trails
7.Days off
8.I hate all of them you are nuts to run
9.Any other type of training run
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

https://www.facebook.com/mike.a.maclellan

Back to top Go down

Post  JohnP Thu Jun 16, 2011 6:25 pm

Michael Mitchell wrote:Number 4. I love the lazy, hazy 7:15 to 7:30 paced runs that just go on without stress or worry. Like Meb states, you just go through the miles without thinking.

I don't understand this response. #4 (tempos) are not lazy, without stress or worry. THey are fairly hard runs that require some decent recovery afterwards.
JohnP
JohnP
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey Thu Jun 16, 2011 6:33 pm

JohnP wrote:
Michael Mitchell wrote:Number 4. I love the lazy, hazy 7:15 to 7:30 paced runs that just go on without stress or worry. Like Meb states, you just go through the miles without thinking.

I don't understand this response. #4 (tempos) are not lazy, without stress or worry. THey are fairly hard runs that require some decent recovery afterwards.

Yeah that is a good point John, I wonder if he meant #3. Even those at times can be tough and not all that lazy.

Michael would you like to opine more on this?
Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave Wolfe Thu Jun 16, 2011 6:55 pm

I like fartlek as long as it is off-road and hill circuits because I really feel like I'm working.

Beneficial but I HATE them -- progression runs.
Dave Wolfe
Dave Wolfe
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Matt W Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:41 pm

Chris M wrote:
dot520 wrote:LSD, especially for the half marathon distance where you do a lot of 10-14 mile long runs. More and more I'm enjoying the speed intervals (not the hill intervals) that I get to do alternating weeks. Sprinting comes naturally for me as does trudging.
Dot reminded me....put "hill work" at dead last for me on any list of "likes". Yeah, I know they are great for you but I find longish hill sprints to be absolutely brutal. I hate that I'm not actually going all that fast and yet my lungs and legs are being ripped in half. Whether its MP for 0.5 at 5% on the mill or the outdoor hills, I hate doing sprints up those things.

What do you mean by "longish hill sprints?" Hill sprints are short and explosive aren't they? I thought 8-15 seconds, max, then slow jog down the hill and repeat. Hill repeats aren't really sprints, but controlled hard efforts like tempos runs (maybe a little harder depending on the hill and distance). I don't think you should really worry too much about speed when going uphill compared to running on the flat. Maybe you could compare it to another time you ran up the same hill. When I do hills I try to focus more on form and effort.

Maybe one of us is doing the hill work the wrong way. Wink
Matt W
Matt W
Poster
Poster

http://www.redrockrunningcompany.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:56 pm

Matt W wrote:
Chris M wrote:

What do you mean by "longish hill sprints?" Hill sprints are short and explosive aren't they? I thought 8-15 seconds, max, then slow jog down the hill and repeat. Hill repeats aren't really sprints, but controlled hard efforts like tempos runs (maybe a little harder depending on the hill and distance). I don't think you should really worry too much about speed when going uphill compared to running on the flat. Maybe you could compare it to another time you ran up the same hill. When I do hills I try to focus more on form and effort.

Maybe one of us is doing the hill work the wrong way. Wink

+1 Good explanation of the difference of those two workouts Matt. Not that I really do either one of them but maybe someday I will or should. I really have to stop being so lazy afro
Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Paula Sue Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:58 pm

Benefitial for me: Intervals

What I like (love): LSD...the longer the better

What I miss the most...running. Hoping I will be able to get back at it soon.
Paula Sue
Paula Sue
Poster
Poster

http://oceanbreeze-lake-erie.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum