365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Nike Shoe Selection

5 posters

Go down

Nike Shoe Selection Empty Nike Shoe Selection

Post  Jim Lentz Fri Sep 16, 2011 9:43 am

I am going to be part of the official pace team for the Chicago Marathon that is sponsored by Nike. I need to select an appropriate Nike shoe for my pacing duties. I presently do the majority of my running in the Saucony Kinvara shoe. I like a shoe on the lighter side. Below are my choices, which is the closest to the Kinvara?

• LunarEclipse
  • LunarGlide
  • Structure Triax
  • Vomero
  • Pegasas

I ran in the LunarGlide when they first came out and didn't care for them. I like the LunarRacer, but don't think I could go the marathon distance in them. Thanks!
Jim Lentz
Jim Lentz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Nike Shoe Selection Empty Re: Nike Shoe Selection

Post  Mark B Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:52 am

Jim Lentz wrote:I am going to be part of the official pace team for the Chicago Marathon that is sponsored by Nike. I need to select an appropriate Nike shoe for my pacing duties. I presently do the majority of my running in the Saucony Kinvara shoe. I like a shoe on the lighter side. Below are my choices, which is the closest to the Kinvara?

• LunarEclipse
  • LunarGlide
  • Structure Triax
  • Vomero
  • Pegasas

I ran in the LunarGlide when they first came out and didn't care for them. I like the LunarRacer, but don't think I could go the marathon distance in them. Thanks!

Actually, none of the shoes you listed come close to matching the Kinvara in weight (7.7 ounces) or heel drop (4 mm). Any of the ones above are going to feel heavier and more structured. The closest actually seems to be the LunarRacer.

If you had to pick from the list above, I think maybe the LunarEclipse if the LunarGlide doesn't work for you. Or you could go old school and try the Pegs. I'd try them both on and see how they feel.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Fri Sep 16, 2011 1:24 pm

The Pegasus can't hurt you. I have worn them on and off sicne 1982, and although they muck with them occasionally, msot of the time they are jsut fine. It is a medium weight (mine is around 10 oz for a woman's 7.5), cushioned, flexible shoe.

What group are you pacing? Still 3:40? I think Dieter is pacing that one as well. I've paced the 4 hr group 2x in Chicago - quite the experience.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim Lentz Fri Sep 16, 2011 9:18 pm

Thanks Mark and Michele! My first choice is the Pegasus and the Vomero is the back up choice. I have been assigned to the 3:45 pace team, now I need to practice that pace.
Jim Lentz
Jim Lentz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave-O Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:24 pm

Yikes. Those are their 5 heavy and motion controlled shoes. Lunar eclipse is probably best but lunar racers would be closest to kinvaras
Dave-O
Dave-O

http://www.fleetfeetchicago.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Sat Sep 17, 2011 12:05 pm

Pegasus is a neutral shoe, and it is not super heavy at all.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Sat Sep 17, 2011 1:03 pm

The Vomero on the other hand, while neutral, is as close to a velvet lined foot coffin as you can get. And it's not light.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim Lentz Sat Sep 17, 2011 2:17 pm

I think because it is so close to marathon day the selection is poor. I don't think I could go 26.2 in my Lunar Racers. I am considering buying a pair of Frees and seeing if I can break them in by race day.
Jim Lentz
Jim Lentz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Gobbles Sun Sep 18, 2011 12:17 pm

Mark B wrote:The Vomero on the other hand, while neutral, is as close to a velvet lined foot coffin as you can get. And it's not light.

But they are so comfortable!!! And Surprisingly smooth and fast for a super cushioned shoe.

By far my favorite Cushioned Neutral Shoe.

Plus they last forever (I got a bit over 500 miles out of them).
Gobbles
Gobbles
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down