365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pocatello Just Cuz Half Marathon

+19
Randy E
KBFitz
fostever
Jerry
Michele "1L" Keane
Seth Harrison
dot520
Jim Lentz
John Kilpatrick
Colleen
Diego
Julie
Bob
Chris M
JohnP
jon c
Peg Coover
Schuey
wheakory
23 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Pocatello Just Cuz Half Marathon Empty Pocatello Just Cuz Half Marathon

Post  wheakory Sun Nov 06, 2011 12:57 am

Well I'll I can say about this race is I was glad to finish and it was fun and I thought I did well once my titanium rod leg got warmed up. This was a special event because my daughter started with me (15 years old). We've never started a race together. She was shooting for a 1:39. I didn't care I was going to either hang with her or just go out on my own. I've been fighting ankle soreness around the tendon and was actually limping this week on it for a 6 miles training run Wednesday. Thursday more of the same after the 4 mile taper run. Friday, I didn't run just to rest the ankle for Saturday. I wasn't feeling the best either Friday (it actually started Thursday not feeling well), and vomited liquid up at work. We've had a lot of sick people there the last few days.

I had plenty of reasons not to run, but I really looked at what rehab I've done on my leg and this didn't compare to the extreme pain that I went through with my leg so I knew I wanted to run.

We got up at 7am (the start was 10:13), and we both ate a bowl of oatmeal to fill the belly a bit. I had a little bit of coffee but not much. We got all the bathroom stuff take care of to be fully empty for the start :-). We headed to the race and arrived around 9am.

The cold weather was a factor with my Titanium rod leg making it tight and ache. It felt swollen and like a brick to move. The same issues when we were walking off the bus to the start I could feel the tightness and my ankle had a little ache still, but not overwhelming. It was snowing and blowing at the top of the course. The race director warned us we had to be very careful the first 4 miles because of the ice. It was horribly slick and about one inch of snow at the top of the course. I knew because of my lack of agility still with my leg I needed to take it a little easier. I didn't know how I would do with the tightness and icy conditions... so here we go. (Windy... 20ish degrees ... Snowing)

7:17 - (Steep Downhill) Very tight and sore the leg was not responding well. My daughter pulled ahead of me. Very Slick

7:00 - (Steep Downhill) Same very tight and sore. Very Slick.

7:11 - (More Downhill) I almost considered at this point doing a DNF because the leg was just tight and cold and I just didn't feel in rythmn. My daughter was still ahead of me looking good. Very Slick

7:20 - More of the same, but I was getting warmer. Not Slick anymore.

6:57- Finally! something just clicked or my leg finally got going and I felt better and I passed my daughter at this point.

7:04 - Starting to feel better and thinking maybe I can put a good string of miles in the tougher half of the course. I blew doing well on the downhill.

7:00 - (flat) Starting catching runners who raced down the hill. I knew that something was getting better and my pace felt more at ease.

6:48 (flat rolling) Started running with a group of two other runners I caught, and we started passing runners has we went through the course. (First water Station that I took fluid at... wasn't warm enough to drink a lot of water).
6:51 (Flat Rolling) Again... stayed with the two other runners and we were passing more runners as we went through the mile. I was starting to feel that I could hang in there now. My ankle was a little achy but nothing bad.

6:55 (Flat) Still running with the other two runner's and feeling warmer and the leg seemed to respond better. The North Face jacket I had on was a good choice, but like I said I could probably have taken it off at this point.

7:02 (Flat and Rolling) - Took a gel to help the last few miles. I was still feeling good and running with the other two runners. But I was planning a strategy to make a move. I decided to make a move at the end of mile 11. I wanted to just pick the pace up and leave the two other runners and either die at the end or finish strong ahead. I didn't know what would happen. My running has just been for fun up to this point so it really didn't matter what happened to me.

6:53 (Rolling) - I started edging ahead and the other two runners responded but staying right behind me. Towards the end of the mile I had a 10 -20 meter gap.

6:43 (Uphill and flat with 100m downhill finish) This mile I gave what I had left and was way ahead of the other two runners (100 meters or less). They didn't respond to my even faster pace on this mile. I finished 14th at 1:31:37.

After I finished they took my chip off and I ran back half mile on the course to push my daughter to get under a 1:39. She said she was glad to see me. I was able to push her hard the last bit of the mile and she finished at 1:39:08. We hugged and were so excited. I was so happy for her I had tears as we hugged and bonded together.

What I learned and knew going into this race:

1. I knew going in I really didn't have a time goal and wanted something under a 1:35 but really didn't matter. The sore ankle I knew really hindered everything.

2. I know my titanium rod will be achy and tight in colder weather.

3. Know now I need to warm up better for the leg to respond.

4. Don't care about my time but excited for my daughter.

5. To be able to beat the other two runners when I thought they looked stronger was a blessing. I was excited to be a little competitive and aggressive and feel good about it.
wheakory
wheakory
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Pocatello Just Cuz Half Marathon Empty Re: Pocatello Just Cuz Half Marathon

Post  Schuey Sun Nov 06, 2011 1:11 am

Kory I don't even know where to start, other then to say your more than a man that I could ever be! That is such an awesome race for everything that you have been through. And what a great finish by your daughter.

There is no doubt in my mind that there is not one person on these boards that comes close to be the man that you are! congrats!!!
Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Peg Coover Sun Nov 06, 2011 10:00 am

Incredible race Kory! And congrats to your daughter too!
Peg Coover
Peg Coover
Regular
Regular

http://web.mac.com/cooverp/MrsCoover/Welcome.html

Back to top Go down

Post  jon c Sun Nov 06, 2011 10:07 am

Congrats to you Kory and to your daughter! Was this your first race with the titanium rod leg? And on snow to boot. I have to agree that this report is awesome.
jon c
jon c
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  JohnP Sun Nov 06, 2011 2:47 pm

Congratulations, Kory, both on the progress you've made, and the special feeling of being able to run in with your daughter after heading back out there. That's just really great. I am guessing the cold weather will hurt your leg with the rod in there. It's so cold out by you that you may need to use a treadmill more this winter. Nice job.
JohnP
JohnP
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris M Sun Nov 06, 2011 3:09 pm

Wow - great that you were able to be out there and get the competitive juices flowing again. Hope you said something to your daughter as you passed her after she took off on you at the start. So nice that you two were able to run that race - great father/daughter stuff.
Chris M
Chris M
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  wheakory Sun Nov 06, 2011 7:05 pm

Chris M wrote:Wow - great that you were able to be out there and get the competitive juices flowing again. Hope you said something to your daughter as you passed her after she took off on you at the start. So nice that you two were able to run that race - great father/daughter stuff.

Thanks Chris... I told my daughter as I was passing, "you trying out run your old man". Then I gave her encouragement
wheakory
wheakory
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  wheakory Sun Nov 06, 2011 7:07 pm

jon c wrote:Congrats to you Kory and to your daughter! Was this your first race with the titanium rod leg? And on snow to boot. I have to agree that this report is awesome.

Jon c - Thanks for the comments. This was my second Half Marathon since the accident. The first one I ran I did a 1:34. It was fun and challenging.
wheakory
wheakory
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  wheakory Sun Nov 06, 2011 7:09 pm

JohnP wrote:Congratulations, Kory, both on the progress you've made, and the special feeling of being able to run in with your daughter after heading back out there. That's just really great. I am guessing the cold weather will hurt your leg with the rod in there. It's so cold out by you that you may need to use a treadmill more this winter. Nice job.

John P. Your correct I can feel the cold weather affect the leg. It's frustrating... and sometimes I have to remove negative thoughts about the whole thing. I know I didn't put myself in this position and it's not my fault with the truck hitting me. I have to look at the positive that I'm alive and can run still.
wheakory
wheakory
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Bob Sun Nov 06, 2011 7:47 pm

Speech.Less.

Couldn't be happier for ya. Well done.
Bob
Bob
Lord Bobby
Lord Bobby

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Sun Nov 06, 2011 8:46 pm

Great job to you and your daughter! You've truly accomplished an amazing recovery and I know it's been hard work (although I do not pretend to know how hard). Congratulations and be smart this winter in the cold.
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Diego Sun Nov 06, 2011 8:51 pm

Amazing recovery and great day for you and your daughter, Kory.
Diego
Diego
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Colleen Sun Nov 06, 2011 10:30 pm

Kory, congrats on an amazing race! You are an inspiration to so many of us here, it is great to see you racing and getting back into the competitive spirit.

And congratulations to your daughter on a great time as well!!
Colleen
Colleen

Back to top Go down

Post  John Kilpatrick Sun Nov 06, 2011 10:36 pm

Bob wrote:Speech.Less.

Couldn't be happier for ya. Well done.

+1!!! Great report and greater race. You are an inspiration.

John Kilpatrick
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim Lentz Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:56 am

Great race, Kory! It had to be really nice finishing strong and being able to meet back up with your daughter and encourage and run in with her.
Jim Lentz
Jim Lentz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  dot520 Mon Nov 07, 2011 1:49 pm

Wonderful race report, Kory! So many elements in there are just plain great. I love that you were able to run...period..., but running with your daughter is extra special. My S.O. has a titanium rod and says the same thing about the cold and tightness.

Congratulations! You're a very special man!
dot520
dot520
Top 10 Poster Emeritus
Top 10 Poster Emeritus

Back to top Go down

Post  wheakory Tue Nov 08, 2011 1:29 am

dot520 wrote:Wonderful race report, Kory! So many elements in there are just plain great. I love that you were able to run...period..., but running with your daughter is extra special. My S.O. has a titanium rod and says the same thing about the cold and tightness.

Congratulations! You're a very special man!

dot520 - Thanks for your kind words. Your special as well. When you motivate me with kind words I know it comes from a person who has motivation as well.
wheakory
wheakory
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Seth Harrison Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:59 am

Kory, what an amazing recovery you've made! That's a sensational race, even on two healthy legs. Congratulations to you and your daughter. I'm sure it was a special day for you.
Seth Harrison
Seth Harrison
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Tue Nov 08, 2011 10:38 am

As I said on FB, Damn incredible, Kory. You are and continue to be an inspiration to us all. You continue to impress.

Now as for warming up the leg, have you thought about racing in tights? Or putting Vaseline/Aquaphor on the leg to "insulate". In the days before running tights, a lot of fast runners that I knew used to lather their quads and hamstrings in vaseline before a race because it helped keep the muscles warm after a brief warm up. Being a girl, I actually raced in the kind of tight ice skaters wore with socks in my running shoes.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:22 am

Kory, da man!
Jerry
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  fostever Tue Nov 08, 2011 1:45 pm

Solid race and kudos to your daughter,too!
fostever
fostever
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  wheakory Tue Nov 08, 2011 3:47 pm

Michele "1L" Keane wrote:As I said on FB, Damn incredible, Kory. You are and continue to be an inspiration to us all. You continue to impress.

Now as for warming up the leg, have you thought about racing in tights? Or putting Vaseline/Aquaphor on the leg to "insulate". In the days before running tights, a lot of fast runners that I knew used to lather their quads and hamstrings in vaseline before a race because it helped keep the muscles warm after a brief warm up. Being a girl, I actually raced in the kind of tight ice skaters wore with socks in my running shoes.

Michele Keane - Thanks for the comments and I actually did run in UnderArmour tights, but never thought of the vaseline/aquaphor. What a great idea and something to try or I'll have to move to Arizona Very Happy But the idea of warming the leg is very helpful, because that does give me ideas.
wheakory
wheakory
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  KBFitz Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:23 pm

Kory, your whole story is a real inspiration. The perseverance you've shown is nothing short of True Grit. You are a gifted athlete. I have no doubt that you will overcome whatever obstacles are in your way. But the tendon ache in your ankle has me concerned. The pain of adapting to a titanium rod in your leg is certainly more than enough tribulation. Is the tendon soreness related to the accident and the titanium rod or is it independent?
KBFitz
KBFitz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  wheakory Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:59 am

KBFitz wrote:Kory, your whole story is a real inspiration. The perseverance you've shown is nothing short of True Grit. You are a gifted athlete. I have no doubt that you will overcome whatever obstacles are in your way. But the tendon ache in your ankle has me concerned. The pain of adapting to a titanium rod in your leg is certainly more than enough tribulation. Is the tendon soreness related to the accident and the titanium rod or is it independent?

KBFitz - It's independent. I think it was overuse trying to come back too fast like by doing three 10 mile runs in a row and pushing hard on some downhill courses.
wheakory
wheakory
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Randy E Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:00 am

Kory, when you were first injured I made a prediction that you would make a terrific comeback. Look at you now. Just terrific. Not everyone has the internal strength and guts to make such a comeback. But, you did and do! Way to go and keep it up. Awesome, just awesome!
Randy E
Randy E
Poster
Poster

http://www.eggefinancial.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next