365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Friday Thread - 3/23

+9
Julie
Diego
fostever
Michele "1L" Keane
Jerry
Chris M
mul21
Mark B
Mike MacLellan
13 posters

Go down

Friday Thread - 3/23 Empty Friday Thread - 3/23

Post  Mike MacLellan Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:34 pm

I admit it; I totally forgot to do this until now. But it's only 9:30am on the west coast and I haven't run yet, so...

This week's edition is going to be about things going wrong. Why? Because life throws curveballs at us and we should laugh at them. Plus, what better way to really ramp up the nerves for Boston?

1. We all have "one of those days." When was your most recent and what happened?
2. We all have "one of those runs." When was your most recent and what happened?
3. Speaking of "those runs" - no, this isn't going to be about potty humor - about what % of your planned runs did you finish (and hit your goals) this training cycle (or if you're not in a training cycle, last time you were!)?
4. At what point do you throw in the towel during a training run? During a race?
5. Ever bonked so hard you cried?
6. Let's say you get to your next marathon and it's 80 and sunny with zero wind; do you even bother racing the clock? Or just run it?
7. You just qualified for Boston - you've been trying for a long, long time - but a never-been-wrong psychic tells you that if you run it, you'll never run another. Do you run it?
8. What do you do to fill the time when you're injured?
9. Worst timing you've ever had for an injury?
10. To end on a chipper note, describe a race where EVERYTHING - weather, training, race pacing, motivation, confidence, whatever - went 100% right.

Happy Friday! Only 1 week til taper for most of us!
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

https://www.facebook.com/mike.a.maclellan

Back to top Go down

Friday Thread - 3/23 Empty Re: Friday Thread - 3/23

Post  Mark B Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:08 pm

Boy, Mike. Can I tell you're about to enter taper!

1. We all have "one of those days." When was your most recent and what happened?
Wednesday. I had to go to the grocery store instead of sneak in a workout before work.

2. We all have "one of those runs." When was your most recent and what happened?
The Tecumseh Trail Marathon last December. An injury I thought was healed flared up halfway in. It was a l-o-o-n-g second half.

3. Speaking of "those runs" - no, this isn't going to be about potty humor - about what % of your planned runs did you finish (and hit your goals) this training cycle (or if you're not in a training cycle, last time you were!)?
Maybe 75 percent as I got ready for Tecumseh, thanks to the aforementioned injury.

4. At what point do you throw in the towel during a training run? During a race?
On a training run, when I just *know* I'm doing more harm than good. I've never thrown in the towel to the point of dropping out of a race.

Nope. I tend to get snarly instead.

6. Let's say you get to your next marathon and it's 80 and sunny with zero wind; do you even bother racing the clock? Or just run it?
Just run it.

7. You just qualified for Boston - you've been trying for a long, long time - but a never-been-wrong psychic tells you that if you run it, you'll never run another. Do you run it?
Of course. How could you not? You might not run it again, but if it was so hard to get there in the first place, you might not ever qualify again, either. Life is short. Seize the day.

Sleep. Chores.

Wiping out my ankle a month before Tecumseh last year. Grr. That still ticks me off.

10. To end on a chipper note, describe a race where EVERYTHING - weather, training, race pacing, motivation, confidence, whatever - went 100% right.
California International Marathon, 2009. Perfect weather, and the climax to a very successful experiment with low heart rate training. I broke the 4-hour barrier and then some, beating my super-secret goal time (3:53) while feeling in control. It was as close to a perfect marathon as I'll probably ever get.

Good luck, all you taper-bound runners. Make sure to share your crazy experiences for the rest of us to enjoy.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  mul21 Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:31 pm

1. We all have "one of those days." When was your most recent and what happened? Tuesday. Totally dragging from travel and was in a mind fog and couldn't get rid of it.

2. We all have "one of those runs." When was your most recent and what happened? I've gotten light headed and had to stop running on the mill a couple
times recently. Weird, but it only happens on the mill and if I've
eaten something recently.

Speaking of "those runs" - no, this isn't going to be about potty
humor - about what % of your planned runs did you finish (and hit your
goals) this training cycle (or if you're not in a training cycle, last
time you were!)? I hit probably 90% of the runs, maybe a little more than that for Chicago last year.

4. At what point do you throw in the towel during a training run? During a race? During a run almost never. Back off the pace, definitely. During a race, apparently 15.5 miles into a marathon to avoid a massive full leg cramp.

5. Ever bonked so hard you cried? No. You big baby! Twisted Evil

Let's say you get to your next marathon and it's 80 and sunny with
zero wind; do you even bother racing the clock? Or just run it? Nope, I've done it and it sucks. Live to fight another day.

You just qualified for Boston - you've been trying for a long, long time
- but a never-been-wrong psychic tells you that if you run it, you'll
never run another. Do you run it? Yep. Who knows if you'll ever run another anyway?

8. What do you do to fill the time when you're injured? Drink.
9. Worst timing you've ever had for an injury? I've usually been able to work around them, so nothing terribly race killing.

To end on a chipper note, describe a race where EVERYTHING - weather,
training, race pacing, motivation, confidence, whatever - went 100%
right. Best race I ever had was probably a 10K I ran on the 4th of July one year when I was in high school. I ran in the low 37:00 range while training for 3 mile races and think I PR'd in both 3 mile stretches of the race.
mul21
mul21
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris M Fri Mar 23, 2012 3:03 pm

I admit it; I totally forgot to do this until now. But it's only 9:30am on the west coast and I haven't run yet, so...

This week's edition is going to be about things going wrong. Why? Because life throws curveballs at us and we should laugh at them. Plus, what better way to really ramp up the nerves for Boston?

There's about 4 different hats I wear in terms of responsibility at work and at any one time, it seems like 1-2 of the areas I have to deal with have some kind of blow-up emergency going on but a few weeks ago was one of those days where every single thing required 100% attention. No run that day. No time for anything. Not fun.

2. We all have "one of those runs." When was your most recent and what happened? It has been awhile since I truly bonked a run. The Chicago Marathon, I guess. Just one of those days where only 5-6 miles in, you know you are working WAY too hard for the relatively modest pace. It ended about as things like that tend to end!

3. Speaking of "those runs" - no, this isn't going to be about potty humor - about what % of your planned runs did you finish (and hit your goals) this training cycle (or if you're not in a training cycle, last time you were!)? Hmmm....maybe 90%? Sometimes a planned tempo just becomes a GA run or a planned double becomes a single. But I think I get to 90% or so of what Dave plans out for me.

4. At what point do you throw in the towel during a training run? During a race? Eh. There's no science to it or special moment. It just happens or said another way it stops happening and you are no longer running.

5. Ever bonked so hard you cried? Cry? No. This is running, not real life.

No chance I race that all out. I'd dial it back to doing it as a workout if at all.

Ha ha. I would ask the never-been-wrong psychic to give me tomorrow's Lotto numbers instead of wasting time prediciting about marathons.

8. What do you do to fill the time when you're injured? Hasn't really happened to me. I had to use the elliptical once for about a week instead of running because I messed up my calf.

9. Worst timing you've ever had for an injury? I had a bike accident when I was 8 and got 52 stitches on my knee the day before my First Communion. But I still limped in there and got it done.

10. To end on a chipper note, describe a race where EVERYTHING - weather, training, race pacing, motivation, confidence, whatever - went 100% right. Philly half in September. Not a goal race, just training through on the way to Chicago. But it was one of those days where the pace felt super easy, the weather and course were near ideal and I felt like I was just out on a relatively easy training run. Ran a 1:24 and it felt like I had a ton left and could have gone much faster. Can't think of another day where it quite all came together like that. Wish it had been on a day when I was racing a full all-out.

Happy Friday! Only 1 week til taper for most of us
Chris M
Chris M
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry Fri Mar 23, 2012 3:28 pm

Hmmm, everyday sucks.

Ahhh, Jerry's run is always good.

time you were!)?

4/7, just because I like to do 70 mpw, but have only been doing 40.

In training, when I get home. In race, when I hit the finish line.

No.

zero wind; do you even bother racing the clock? Or just run it?

Race it with adjusted goal and switch to the half if all possible. lol!

never run another. Do you run it?

Absolutely run it, cause the first BQ is priceless, so you have to run Boston to complete assignment.

Jerry doesn't get injured. He does tactical rest.

Very minor, but a hip pain the day before the marathon.

right.

2009 White Rock Marathon - Half. The weather was perfect, training went well above my expectation, had big PR in 5k and 10k, thus the confidence was high, negative splits aided by the gentle down hill course in the last 3 miles, etc.

And, I went under sub 3 first time 4 weeks later, which would be my answer, had I not peed twice.
Jerry
Jerry
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Fri Mar 23, 2012 3:28 pm

1. We all have "one of those days." When was your most recent and what happened? Probably Wednesday of this week. I'm the Day One Work Leader for our Habitat build and I had to give a presentation to a prospective OEM on Thursday morning. Needless to say i was juggling loads of hats and I needed to get in my speedwork. I did finally get on the dreadmill because the pollen count was over 8000, but it was a crazy day.
2. We all have "one of those runs." When was your most recent and what happened? I wrote about it in my blog - a few weeks back when I just had to totally shut down a work out as my right hammie/glute gave out.
3. Speaking of "those runs" - no, this isn't going to be about potty humor - about what % of your planned runs did you finish (and hit your goals) this training cycle (or if you're not in a training cycle, last time you were!)? Actually about 95%
4. At what point do you throw in the towel during a training run? If I know something is hurt and I'm risking permanent injury. During a race? I've backed it off in a race, but I only remember totally dropping out once at Peachtree when I stepped in a hole and twisted my ankle. I so wanted to drop out at the Grand Rapids Half back in October, but I didn't and placed 3rd in my AG. It was a miserable run.
5. Ever bonked so hard you cried? Yes!!!! (sorry, but I'm a girl).
6. Let's say you get to your next marathon and it's 80 and sunny with zero wind; do you even bother racing the clock? Or just run it? No racing, just run and have fun. Been there, done that multiple times.
7. You just qualified for Boston - you've been trying for a long, long time - but a never-been-wrong psychic tells you that if you run it, you'll never run another. Do you run it? Wouldn't waste my time asking a psychic about a marathon - can't benefit from that.
8. What do you do to fill the time when you're injured? Swim or elliptical
9. Worst timing you've ever had for an injury? Strained my hamstring 1 wk out before Boston 2001. Walked up most of the hills as that is where it really bothered me. Scary thing is that I still finished around 3:40.
10. To end on a chipper note, describe a race where EVERYTHING - weather, training, race pacing, motivation, confidence, whatever - went 100% right. My 10K PR at Asbury Park (NJ) in August, 1992 or the Flying Pig Marathon in 2004. Both times every thing just clicked from start to finish. I remember looking at my 5 mile split at Asbury Park thinking that it couldn't be right since there was no way I had only been running for 29 min. I decided the clock was wrong until I finished the race in 36:59. At the Pig, I had had a series of not so great marathons and other races, but I worked my butt off for this race and it showed. At mile 23 I was passing relay runners and some kid who was running with me would not believe that I was over 40 - good day.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  fostever Fri Mar 23, 2012 3:29 pm

1. We all have "one of those days." When was your most recent and what happened? Wednesday, knob came off door to garage, a previous sale fell through due to Medicare mistake and traffic was a parking lot to the call center (normal)
2. We all have "one of those runs." When was your most recent and what happened? Last Tues, right achilles pain on 2mi repeats, then later my left ankle ached and still aches, achilles is fine.
3. Speaking of "those runs" - no, this isn't going to be about potty humor - about what % of your planned runs did you finish (and hit your goals) this training cycle 100% (or if you're not in a training cycle, last time you were!)?
4. At what point do you throw in the towel during a training run? after my shower, in the hamper During a race? Never not finished a race.
5. Ever bonked so hard you cried? North Country trail marathon on mile 23 when I passed my wife who was running the half on one of the endless punishing hills.
6. Let's say you get to your next marathon and it's 80 and sunny with zero wind; do you even bother racing the clock? Or just run it?this one
7. You just qualified for Boston - you've been trying for a long, long time - but a never-been-wrong psychic tells you that if you run it, you'll never run another. Do you run it?psychics are always WRONG and that answers the last question.
8. What do you do to fill the time when you're injured?physical therapy and MRI's
9. Worst timing you've ever had for an injury? 2 weeks before target half marathon.
10. To end on a chipper note, describe a race where EVERYTHING - weather, training, race pacing, motivation, confidence, whatever - went 100% right. 2009 Chicago marathon, my first marathon, BQ by over 20 minutes.
fostever
fostever
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Fri Mar 23, 2012 3:52 pm

See, isn't this therapeutic?!

Yesterday. Last night, really. Just a serious of small things, all related to making dinner and trying to keep plans while completely over-scheduling. It ended with me squeezing a lemon slice onto my salmon and having it spray my entire face. I laughed, then.

Tuesday is a close contender, but I'm gonna go with my 2hr run when I got back from DC. Just kind of emotionally drained and was bonking from mile 2.

All of them, though some have been harder than I thought they should be.

When a niggle goes from being a niggle to being painful. In a race, when it's so painful it's changing my stride.

Nope. I whimper. I've felt completely drunk before, swerving down a road on the bike. That sucked. I tend to get into this mindset of despair and have a VERY short fuse, though.

Right now, I'd just run it. If it was a really important goal race that I'd put everything into, goal or bust.

Yep. There's always half marathons and ultras... And I can still run 26.2 without it being an actual race Very Happy

Try to cross-train and complain.

When I finally wanted to come back to running in October and I overcooked my first run in a month. That kept me on the sidelines for another 2 months.

July 4th 10k a couple years ago. 2 loops with a big (50-75') hill about 1.5mi in, the downhill being .5mi later. When I got to the top of the hill the 2nd time, I knew I'd paced it right. Then I bombed the hill and red-lined the last .75mi, going into major tunnel vision just before my kick.
And OC marathon. Read the race report on Hal's site What a Face
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Diego Fri Mar 23, 2012 4:16 pm

Damn, I did talk with a psychic before the 2009 race and I have been unable to race it since. Friday Thread - 3/23 235134252 Somebody send me your finest bottle of curse-be-gone.
Diego
Diego
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Fri Mar 23, 2012 4:45 pm

too often, like when it starts with my daughter wetting the bed so I have king sized sheets and mattress pad to wash and then things go downhill from there..

Well, someone yelled at me last week for almost hitting me because he didn't stop at the stop sign. That turned my stress relieving run into a really angry run.

almost all of them the last time I was training for something

When I'm pretty sure I'm injured, during training. During a race I really tough it out till the finish.

I was nearly crying the end of Ft Worth Cowtown Marathon because it was so hot and humid and I was so tired.

I would try to finish alive.

I would run it because I'm not into psychics, and I have a 50 states goal that's more achievable for me than Boston right now.

clean, freezer cooking, walk, play with my little girl.

Right before a goal marathon...doesn't it always happen like that? And mile 18-20 of a few marathons.

Pensacola Marathon although it did get hot at the end, I ran negative splits and felt awesome at the end, I ran in 2 other runners, one I met around the half marathon point and tried to encourage her so I ended up running about 29 or more miles that day. It was just a good day, I guess. It'd be even better if the race director would send me my age group award that I was promised 4 yrs ago...

Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  John Kilpatrick Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:51 pm

Thanks Mike

I've been having "one of those years" and there isn't enough space/time to get into it...

I think the last really bad run was a 22 miler last summer when I about passed out and had to walk in the last couple. I ran out of water a couple of times and it was hot and humid. It was just awful. Lesson learned and now I stash more water bottles...

time you were!)?
Before I got hurt, I probably hit 90-95% of them - things were going absolutely great. Damn...

When I just can't do it anymore basically. I've been close to throwing it in during a triathlon but haven't done so yet. I used to think that was a big "sin" but I've been explained the other side of it and how it can actually be a really wise decision. On a longer race I could see bagging it before burning yourself to the ground to hopefully do better at another race.

5. Ever bonked so hard you cried? No, but I've had good runs that made me so happy that I could cry - seriously. Every once in a while there is sort of a Ryan Hall touch of God moment - those are great.

Oh yeah, I would race the clock, but also probably pay closer attention to heart race or perceived effort and not feel bad about pulling in the reins a little.

Yes - there may not be another chance and I don't believe in psychic stuff anyway!

Right now, swim. Before this it was use the elliptical which I am grateful for but despise!

Funny you should ask....

right.
I still think the best "race" that I have ever had was a training run on Jan 22, 2011 where I ran (according to my Garmin, so I'm sure it is off a little) a 13.1 miler in 1:27:47. That run was fairly straight, so the distance wasn't probably off by much. Don't know if I've ever been able to repeat that even if I were to try...

John Kilpatrick
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  John Kilpatrick Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:59 pm

Julie wrote: It'd be even better if the race director would send me my age group award that I was promised 4 yrs ago...

Bummer!

John Kilpatrick
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Sat Mar 24, 2012 12:10 am

I hear you about the touch-of-God moment, John. Nice twist on the question.
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Sat Mar 24, 2012 7:53 am

John Kilpatrick wrote:
Julie wrote: It'd be even better if the race director would send me my age group award that I was promised 4 yrs ago...

Bummer!

I'm consoling myself that it is less clutter, although it would have been nice because it was just such a good day.

I'm having one of those years, too...I hope things look up for us soon!
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright Sat Mar 24, 2012 12:34 pm

Can't think of one at the moment. Probably involved one of my kids!
I had a streak of three runs in a row (last Saturday, Sunday and then Tuesday night), where I felt like I had to take a crap really badly at different points in the run. Drove me crazy. Got through it without disaster each time, though.
time you were!)?
I'm about halfway through my current cycle. I think I missed one or two runs at this point, and nothing that mattered. My goals for these runs are pretty modest, so I don't think I've missed any goals. I rarely do not finish a training run.
I guess I jumped the gun on the training run question - I only stop or shorten if I'm truly miserable, and have done that, but it's been a long time. Only race I quit was the Hartford Marathon a couple of years ago. I was injured that training cycle, tried to run through it, then did not run at all for the three week taper, and tried to PR. Gee, I wonder why I cratered in that race? In retrospect, it seems so obvious, but was a mystery to me.
I did not cry when I quit Hartford, but I sure felt like crying!
Chicago 2008 taught me that it was stupid to try to race the clock in hot weather. Never again.
No, it's not important to me. I'd rather try again.
Cycle, if possible. Fix all the stuff I have to fix around our property, but that I ignore because I'm running long on the weekend, or exhausted from running long!
About the worst I can think of is right in the middle of a training cycle, bad enough to need to stop, and that has happened to me three times. I hate that.
right.
My 10K PR, which I ran on a Monday after running a 10 mile race on Saturday. I ran without a watch, intentionally plugging my ears at the places that they were calling out the splits, and just ran by feel on a pretty nice day (though on a very hilly course). I just felt great the whole way and really enjoyed it, and PR'd to boot!
Michael Enright
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim fredericks Sat Mar 24, 2012 3:20 pm

1.We all have "one of those days." When was your most recent and what happened? I have been lied to every day this week so I gues Mon thru Fri.
2. We all have "one of those runs." When was your most recent and what happened? Outdoor track at the local gym which is a challenging hilly course. Who would have thought 84 degrees in March/
3. Speaking of "those runs" - no, this isn't going to be about potty humor - about what % of your planned runs did you finish (and hit your goals) this training cycle (or if you're not in a training cycle, last time you were!)? Maybe half.
4. At what point do you throw in the towel during a training run? During a race? Never
5. Ever bonked so hard you cried? Bonked yes, cried no.
6. Let's say you get to your next marathon and it's 80 and sunny with zero wind; do you even bother racing the clock? Or just run it? Just run it.
7. You just qualified for Boston - you've been trying for a long, long time - but a never-been-wrong psychic tells you that if you run it, you'll never run another. Do you run it? Yes, I run it.
8. What do you do to fill the time when you're injured? Cycling, walking. Used to swim until I hurt my back.
9. Worst timing you've ever had for an injury? Broke my toe 10 days before a half-marathon. Still ran it.
10. To end on a chipper note, describe a race where EVERYTHING - weather, training, race pacing, motivation, confidence, whatever - went 100% right. Still waiting for that one.
Jim fredericks
Jim fredericks
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:13 am

1.We all have "one of those days." When was your most recent and what happened? Seems like every Friday is one of those days. 2:30 hits and all hell breaks lose...never fails.
2. We all have "one of those runs." When was your most recent and what happened? Last Tuesday. I had been on vacation and did not get in any of my
weight training for a little over a week. Last Tuesday I lifted legs
for the first time and then decided to run 5.5 miles. My legs felt like
jello and it was just a struggle to finish.

Speaking of "those runs" - no, this isn't going to be about potty humor
- about what % of your planned runs did you finish (and hit your goals)
this training cycle (or if you're not in a training cycle, last time
you were!)? 90%
4. At what point do you throw in the towel during a training run? During a race? During a training run, I would say if I get 1/3 of the way in. During a race, the only way I would throw in the towel is if I knew that I would get injured.
5. Ever bonked so hard you cried? Nope...
Let's say you get to your next marathon and it's 80 and sunny with zero
wind; do you even bother racing the clock? Or just run it? I would still race it for as long as I could
You just qualified for Boston - you've been trying for a long, long
time - but a never-been-wrong psychic tells you that if you run it,
you'll never run another. Do you run it? Yes...you never know when you will get the chance to do something again.
8. What do you do to fill the time when you're injured? weight training, swim, cycle, row
9. Worst timing you've ever had for an injury? Halfway through the 2010 Chicago Marathon when I was on pace for a BQ.
right. 2009 Chicago Marathon. It was the best race that I have had, not from a PR standpoint, but just the way I trained and ran it.
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down