365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Friday Thread

+8
Mark B
ounce
Michele "1L" Keane
carleenp
Jim Lentz
Michael Enright
Nick Morris
Mrs. Schuey
12 posters

Go down

Friday Thread Empty Friday Thread

Post  Mrs. Schuey Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:28 am

It's been a long time since I've seen one of these around, so to carry on a fun and old tradition, I'm posting a Friday Thread. It would be cool to do every week!  bounce 

1) How many pairs of running shoes do you own, and which is your favorite pair?

2) If you were a superhero, which powers would you have?

3) What is the farthest distance you have run? Do you have a goal distance you'd like to run one day?

4) If you could ask your future self one question, what would it be?

5) What historical figure would you like to see in today's time?

6) Have you ever had a black toenail or lost a toenail from running?

7) If you could choose anyone, who would you pick as your mentor?

Cool Did you run in high school? If so, what did you run? If not, did you play sports?

9) Do you prefer running outside or on the treadmill? Do you run outside throughout the year, no matter the weather?

10) If you could witness any event past, present or future, what would it be?

Bonus question: why did the chicken cross the road?
Mrs. Schuey
Mrs. Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Friday Thread Empty Re: Friday Thread

Post  Nick Morris Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:37 am

YAY!!!! I miss these!!!
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Mrs. Schuey Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:42 am

Nick Morris wrote:YAY!!!!  I miss these!!!

Me too, Nick! Time to bring 'em back!
Mrs. Schuey
Mrs. Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:47 am

Tough question...I would have to say I currently own about 20-30 pairs of running shoes.  I don't really have a favorite.

Superman's powers - He has the coolest powers (strength, flight, x-ray vision, etc)

3) What is the farthest distance you have run? Do you have a goal distance you'd like to run one day?
Including warmups, the farthest I have ran is 27.8 miles Smile

4) If you could ask your future self one question, what would it be?
Why did you do that?

Lou Gehrig

Who hasn't???

Bill Gates

Cool Did you run in high school? If so, what did you run? If not, did you play sports?
No I did not...I played Baseball, Football, and Wrestled

9) Do you prefer running outside or on the treadmill? Do you run outside throughout the year, no matter the weather?
Definitely outside.  I run outside all year for the most part. If it gets extremely terrible outside during the winter I run on an indoor track.

Man on mars

To use the port-a-john on the other side
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:48 am

Mrs. Schuey wrote:
Nick Morris wrote:YAY!!!!  I miss these!!!

Me too, Nick! Time to bring 'em back!

I miss you guys, too...I am going to have to make a trip down to the Chicago Marathon this year. Especially since my race is the week before.
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:29 pm

Hmmmm, I wrote and tried to post replies, but it doesn't seem to want to let them appear in the string. So, here goes again, wish me luck!

I currently have two pair of Ghost 6 in rotation. So, they are both my favorite pair!

Spidey Sense

26.2, and that is far enough.

4) If you could ask your future self one question, what would it be?

Do you remember that Friday Thread in July 2014 that changed your life forever?!

Thomas Jefferson

Sure, no biggie, I got others.

Thomas Merton

Did you run in high school? If so, what did you run? If not, did you play sports?

I did not run track or XC in high school, or play any other organized sports. But we sure did a lot of sports in my neighborhood, including "high hurdles" with saw horses along the railroad tracks!

9) Do you prefer running outside or on the treadmill? Do you run outside throughout the year, no matter the weather?

I prefer running outside, but have decided over several years that the treadmill is my friend. I will run outside 12 months a year, but will stick with the mill if it is pouring rain, traction-challenged, lightning or other dangerous conditions. I won't run outside if it is below the high teens.

The Resurrection. Just call me Thomas!

To get the cluck out of there?

Thanks, I miss the Friday Thread!!
Michael Enright
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim Lentz Fri Jul 11, 2014 2:10 pm

15-20 pairs and my current favorite are my Sketchers Go Run 3.

Wolverine.

50 miles, I am happy with that.

What stocks to buy.

Thomas Edison

Yes to both.

Nikola Tesla

I did not participate in any sports in high school.

9) Do you prefer running outside or on the treadmill? Do you run outside throughout the year, no matter the weather?

Outside, but will use the treadmill if it is way too cold or there is lightning. Last winter I was out running on a cold day and it made my eyes tear. On teh way back in my run my eye lashes started to freeze together. I got a health club membership after that for this past winter.

The resurrection of Jesus.

To get to the Gatorade as the side he was on only had water.
Jim Lentz
Jim Lentz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  carleenp Fri Jul 11, 2014 2:31 pm

Yay! I always loved these!

1) How many pairs of running shoes do you own, and which is your favorite pair? I have too many pairs to count because I keep not donating them when they wear out. But I have 3 pairs active. 2 Brooks Ghost 6 and one Ghost 7 that I have not tried yet. Obviously Brooks Ghost is my fav!

2) If you were a superhero, which powers would you have? Fllight, even though I am afraid of heights

3) What is the farthest distance you have run? Do you have a goal distance you'd like to run one day? 31.1 miles. I definitely plan on doing a 50 miler and would love to do 100, although I don't know if I really can get there though.

4) If you could ask your future self one question, what would it be? What hot new stock should I buy!

5) What historical figure would you like to see in today's time? Leonardo da Vinci

6) Have you ever had a black toenail or lost a toenail from running? Yep! multiple times.

7) If you could choose anyone, who would you pick as your mentor? Joan Benoit Samuelson as a running mentor!

Friday Thread Icon_cool Did you run in high school? If so, what did you run? If not, did you play sports? No, I was totally non-athletic in high school

OUTSIDE!! I hate the treadmill, but I use it in winter when there is ice or snow. 

10) If you could witness any event past, present or future, what would it be? Cubs winning the world series (future)

Bonus question: why did the chicken cross the road? To get a post-race beer!
carleenp
carleenp
Regular
Regular

http://beautyandfashiontech.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Fri Jul 11, 2014 3:26 pm

I have three pair here (and two unopened) and four pair at home including a pair of Icebugs and a pair of trail shoes.  I currently am in love with my latest pair of Adidas Bostons.

Flight and xray vision

50K, and that is it!

Hmm, not sure.  Maybe whether or not I'm doing it all right? (Parenting, work, etc.)

Abraham Lincoln

Yup, but not for many years.  Of course, my toenails are pretty gnarly because of the past.

Margaret Thatcher or Hilary Clinton for leading and business; Joanie for Running

Friday Thread Icon_cool Did you run in high school? If so, what did you run? If not, did you play sports?

Yes, 800 m and mile, but it was just off season for swimming as I was a swimmer first.  I also figure skated until I was 16 and passed all 8 figure tests.

Outside and pretty much.  I do use a treadmill and indoor track for quality work in the winter. This year I ran indoors more than I usually would do to ice and bitter cold temps since I was training for Boston and did not want to risk injury.

Man landing on Mars

To get to the other side.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  ounce Fri Jul 11, 2014 5:20 pm

1) How many pairs of running shoes do you own, and which is your favorite pair?  3 currently in rotation, 2 pairs in waiting, and 4 retired pairs (includes my original pair that I ran my first marathon in).  The Viziglo Kinvara 4.

2) If you were a superhero, which powers would you have?  Flight and mind reading.

3) What is the farthest distance you have run? Do you have a goal distance you'd like to run one day? 50K.  No.

4) If you could ask your future self one question, what would it be?  Why are you still alive?

5) What historical figure would you like to see in today's time?  Custer

6) Have you ever had a black toenail or lost a toenail from running?  Many times.

7) If you could choose anyone, who would you pick as your mentor?  Warren Buffet

Friday Thread Icon_coolDid you run in high school? If so, what did you run? If not, did you play sports?  No.  I was a trainer in high school.

9) Do you prefer running outside or on the treadmill? Do you run outside throughout the year, no matter the weather?  Outside.  Yes, and I can say that because it doesn't get cold for very long down here.

10) If you could witness any event past, present or future, what would it be?  Assassination of JFK.  I GOTS TO KNOW!!!

Bonus question: why did the chicken cross the road?  to get her wings back.
ounce
ounce
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Sat Jul 12, 2014 7:23 pm

Oops! Late to the party on this one....

1) How many pairs of running shoes do you own, and which is your favorite pair? About a half dozen that I could run in at any point, not counting my favorites: my bare feet. (I wish they were tough enough to use all the time.)

2) If you were a superhero, which powers would you have? Barefoot running! Wink

3) What is the farthest distance you have run? Do you have a goal distance you'd like to run one day? 50 miles, not counting whatever extra distance I weaved on the trail that day.

4) If you could ask your future self one question, what would it be? Was I right?

5) What historical figure would you like to see in today's time? Jesus.

6) Have you ever had a black toenail or lost a toenail from running? Nope!

7) If you could choose anyone, who would you pick as your mentor? No idea.

8 ) Did you run in high school? If so, what did you run? If not, did you play sports? Yes, recreationally. No organized sports.

9) Do you prefer running outside or on the treadmill? Do you run outside throughout the year, no matter the weather? Outside. It has to be very nasty or dangerous for me to stay inside.

10) If you could witness any event past, present or future, what would it be? Too many possibilities!

Bonus question: why did the chicken cross the road? Because somebody was trying to pullet. (Sorry. Couldn't resist.)
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Sun Jul 13, 2014 10:33 am

Great idea, madam Schuey.  Are we gonna start popcorning people to go next week?

Currently have 4 in rotation (3x Ghost 5's, 1x Cascadia), and about 5 in retirement.  Time for some new ones, too, actually.

Flight.

28mi in 4hr as part of my training for a 50 I never ran.  WS100 is my lifetime goal race.

Does it work out?

Tesla.  Better PR now.

No, but my left 2nd toenail is considerably thicker than any of the others.

I've already had many, many good mentors, both in life and in career.

Friday Thread Icon_cool Did you run in high school? If so, what did you run? If not, did you play sports?
Occasionally as "cardio" when I lifted weights.  Rode road bikes, too.  I wasn't very good at either until after college.

Outside.  Yes.  

The Roaring 20's.  In my roaring 20's.

I've actually heard that this is a joke about mortality, since the answer "to get to the other side" refers to dying ("he's gone to the other side") as well as the sides of a street.  Supposedly he wants to commit suicide by getting hit by a car.  ...Morbid?
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

https://www.facebook.com/mike.a.maclellan

Back to top Go down

Post  Seth Harrison Sun Jul 13, 2014 7:59 pm

I've been absent for a while...so good to check in and see an old favorite.Mrs. Schuey wrote:It's been a long time since I've seen one of these around, so to carry on a fun and old tradition, I'm posting a Friday Thread. It would be cool to do every week!  bounce 

I presently have two pairs, both Brooks Ravenna, which I rotate. The green ones make me feel fast.

Run really fast for exactly 26.2

26.2. Doubt I'll ever do anything longer.

That's a good one...are replacement knees finally good enough to run on?

Any of the Founding Fathers, to find out what they think of Originalists (ie: Supreme Court Justices Scalia, Thomas, et al.)

Just lost two from this past Boston.

For enlightenment and to lead a peaceful, productive, meaningful life, I'll go with Gandhi.
For running, it's gotta be Schuey!

Didn't run, but played lacrosse and golf.

I hate the treadmill, and use it only in the winter when the road/trail conditions make it absolutely necessary.

To many to really pick just one, but let's just say either Lincoln's 2nd inaugural address "With Malice Toward None; With Charity for All.", or him giving The Gettysburg Address.

That's where the finish line was.
Seth Harrison
Seth Harrison
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  JohnP Sun Jul 13, 2014 10:05 pm

Thanks Lisa.

--> I just put four pair in a bag to recycle and have about six pair left. Time to buy some more! I don't really have a favorite, I try to have different brands of shoes, mostly light stability ones. I do use the Asics DS Trainers a lot though. Also the Nike LunarGlide (have three pair) but I think it is too stable for me. I like the Ghost and have two pair but it is not stable enough.

--> Travel in time, you could take care of anything

--> A marathon is the longest. In training, it's been 24 miles though I have run marathons (slower) for training some years ago.

--> Should I buy more Facebook stock or sell now?

--> Jesus Christ

--> Yes. It's not a fun thing.

--> Brad Hudson. I hired him as a coach for a marathon that turned out to be my fastest marathon ever. But I can't afford that every time  

Did you run in high school? If so, what did you run? If not, did you play sports?
--> I was very average/below average in athletic ability. I was on the swim team and baseball team. I ran cross country mainly to get in shape for swimming. Biggest problem I had was I was a year younger than most people in high school and correspondingly smaller which doesn't work well with athletic events.

--> I like the treadmill. I run outside till it gets snowy/icy or below 15-20 degrees out. But when in a serious training mode, I do use the treadmill even in the summer for things like threshold runs or speedwork if the temps are too warm as the warmth takes a tremendous amount out of me. Once I go indoors in the fall, I tend to stay with the treadmill till all the snow/ice is gone.

--> Tough question. I will go with being on the spaceship that went to the moon and returned.

--> Easy, to get to the other side.

JohnP
JohnP
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  JohnP Sun Jul 13, 2014 10:14 pm

Wow, I thought I had a lot of shoes but it pales in comparison to some of you with 20, 30 pair!
JohnP
JohnP
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  mountandog Thu Jul 17, 2014 3:53 pm

about 15 or so.  flats, trails and roadies.  Support, neutral and medium  new in the box and old.  Around 4 in current rotation.  Saucony Mirage is my current all round favorite
turn invisible.  Always wanted to be able to do that.
50.  Want to run Comrades - somewhere around 57 I think.  100 maybe but not in any hurry to get there.
Did my kds turn out alright?
Ghengis Khan
several
tough - sports, running, business, personal..................different for each.  I think Warren Buffet would be an interesting mentor on the business side
ran in 9th grade - XC and the mile and 2 mile.  Not again until I was 52.  I lettered in tennis, soccer, ice hockey, swimming, track and field, XC > I was in a sport every season all 4 years.
outside, hands down
the age of the dinosaurs for the past.  me winning the lottery for the future.
to get run over by a truck
mountandog
mountandog
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Thu Jul 17, 2014 4:42 pm

JohnP wrote:Wow, I thought I had a lot of shoes but it pales in comparison to some of you with 20, 30 pair!

It's more an obsession than anything else Smile
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down