365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Registered for JFK-50 today. Boom.

+11
Chris M
Schuey
John Kilpatrick
KBFitz
Kenny B.
wrichman
Julie
Michele "1L" Keane
Mrs. Schuey
Mark B
Vivian
15 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Registered for JFK-50 today.  Boom. - Page 2 Empty Re: Registered for JFK-50 today. Boom.

Post  KBFitz Sat May 12, 2012 3:47 am

mountandog wrote:might be too late to register, ...
You got THAT right.

General Field Has Reached Limit

5/12/2012
The “General Field” for 50th Annual JFK 50 Mile –to be held on November 17, 2012—has reached its cap limit.
The 2012 Entry Form has been taken-down from this website. All accepted
runners will be posted shortly. A Waiting List of 250 has been
assembled and will be posted in early June. For every confirmed entry
withdrawal from the 2012 event, a member of the waiting list will be
moved into the field and informed of such action. All those on the
waiting list not getting called-up by October 6, 2012 will have their
entry forms and entry processing fees returned (if a SASE was supplied)
or destroyed.
mountandog wrote: ... Is this too ambitious for a first ultra/trail?
NO, the JFK50 provides an excellent entree into ultras ...if you sign up in time, that is.
mountandog wrote: ... is 3 weeks after another marathon enough to recover and run it?
YES, it's what I do ... 3 weeks after MCM.
KBFitz
KBFitz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Registered for JFK-50 today.  Boom. - Page 2 Empty Re: Registered for JFK-50 today. Boom.

Post  mountandog Sat May 12, 2012 7:53 am

KBFitz wrote:
You got THAT right.

5/12/2012
The “General Field” for 50th Annual JFK 50 Mile –to be held on November 17, 2012—has reached its cap limit.
or destroyed.
NO, the JFK50 provides an excellent entree into ultras ...if you sign up in time, that is.
mountandog wrote: ... is 3 weeks after another marathon enough to recover and run it?

Thanks Kevin - will put it on the calendar for 2013
mountandog
mountandog
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey Sat May 12, 2012 12:23 pm

mountandog wrote:might be too late to register, but am intrigued. Never run anything more than a marathon. Only run a few trails for fun up to 10 or 11 miles. Is this too ambitious for a first ultra/trail? Second question - is 3 weeks after another marathon (Ridge to Bridge) enough to recover and run it?

Mike you try and at worst be put on the waiting list they have but last year it filled up the first week on the "A" standard.

As for this race the toughest part of the trail running is through the mountains which you hit the about 2.5 miles into the race and even then there is a section that is on a patched fire road. I would say there is about 13 to 14 miles of technical trail running until you come off the mountain. I found that running the Potto in Pinckney did a really good job of getting me ready for that section of the race and even with that there really is nothing that can GET you ready for the section on AP trail. The darn thing is all ROCKS and pretty much covered by leaves so it is a section that should be run with caution and not really worrying about pace.

Don't think that running this race or another 50 miler is to ambitious for a first ultra races! I ran JFK as my first 50 miler and up to that point had only run the marathon distance. Again going out and doing some training on the trails in Michigan would get you ready. You will find training for a 50 miler is like training for a marathon, there are somethings that change but not many. One of the biggest changes would be that you have to remember when running on trails that it is all about effort and time and not pace.Also when doing long runs have to remember to really slow down on at least 1 of them ever other week or week (If you choose to do back to back long runs like I do). You really have to apply the LSD run, this will get you ready for what it will be like to be on your feet for 7 to 9 hours.

Another big key to learn and practice while training and then apply when racing is "FUELING" another words learning how to eat and take in calories. I didn't do bad my first time but have learned a lot about this and continue to.

As for you last question is 3 weeks enough time I believe so! Kevin is running MCM and then JFK. I'm racing Chicago on Oct 7th and racing JFK, now I have a little more time but I see no reason why you could not run a 50 miler 3 weeks after a marathon.
Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey Sat May 12, 2012 2:05 pm

KBFitz wrote:
You got THAT right.

5/12/2012
or destroyed.

HaHa late to the party didn't know there were 2 pages to the thread and then I just went to the JFK page and saw the message and was going to post it here and just saw you beat me to it Kevin!
Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Sun May 13, 2012 2:59 pm

Schuey wrote:Hey Michele rooms are booked for Friday 11/16!

Woohoo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  KBFitz Sat May 26, 2012 12:46 pm

On May 9:
Schuey wrote:So today I received my letter " Your entry into the 50th Annual JFK 50 Mile to be held on November 17, 2012 has been ACCEPTED." ... So did anyone else get their acceptance letter for JFK today??
Vivian wrote:I haven't received mine yet. I hope I got in.
May 26: from the List of confirmed runners #BOOM!#

No. Name Age Sex City State
234 Vivian Adkins 43 F POTOMAC MD
233 Kevin Fitzgerald 54 M WASHINGTON DC
395 Whitney Richman 32 F CHICAGO IL
728 Martin Schumacher JR 41 M CHICAGO IL
KBFitz
KBFitz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. Sun May 27, 2012 8:16 pm

That's awesome. I hope to be among you runners sometime at the JFK!
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

http://www.365Competitors.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2