365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Julie's PR attempt at Fox Cities

+26
mul21
fostever
Mark B
Dave-O
Michele "1L" Keane
GregC
Jim Lentz
Seth Harrison
jon c
Penelope
Matt W
Alex Kubacki
ChasMcG
Schuey
JohnP
Paula Sue
Kenny B.
Tom H
Ken Mello
Peg Coover
Nick Morris
Natalie
John Kilpatrick
Mike MacLellan
Mrs. Schuey
Julie
30 posters

Page 18 of 20 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 17, 18, 19, 20  Next

Go down

Julie's PR attempt at Fox Cities - Page 18 Empty Re: Julie's PR attempt at Fox Cities

Post  Penelope Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:33 pm

Trust your training. Even if you take the whole week off, you still put in a fantastic training cycle, and that's what's going to get you through the race on pace, not what you do this week. I think maybe a few easy, slow miles on a soft surface might help you, but probably more mentally than physically at this point. And don't worry about the fires--there isn't anything you can do to control that, so just try to accept that you'll do your best, and if something happens because of the fires, there are other races that you can still sign up for. Everything is not lost. I have a feeling things will work out all okay, but I know it's so easy to stress about everything when it's your race and your in the midst of tapering.
Penelope
Penelope
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Julie's PR attempt at Fox Cities - Page 18 Empty Re: Julie's PR attempt at Fox Cities

Post  Mrs. Schuey Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:56 pm

Penelope wrote:Trust your training. Even if you take the whole week off, you still put in a fantastic training cycle, and that's what's going to get you through the race on pace, not what you do this week. I think maybe a few easy, slow miles on a soft surface might help you, but probably more mentally than physically at this point. And don't worry about the fires--there isn't anything you can do to control that, so just try to accept that you'll do your best, and if something happens because of the fires, there are other races that you can still sign up for. Everything is not lost. I have a feeling things will work out all okay, but I know it's so easy to stress about everything when it's your race and your in the midst of tapering.

Approval Approval

Julie, I couldn't agree more with Kathy! You have done so great with your training. I remember sooooo many posts/emails about those long runs early in the morning. You did a lot of them and you did them well! Trust your effort and know that all will work out just fine come race day. I'm really excited for you! You're going to do great! Running Running
Mrs. Schuey
Mrs. Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:54 am

Thanks Kathy and Lisa!

I do trust my training , it's my knee and the smoke that worries me. Although someone did post on the marathon's FB page that he ran 20 miles yesterday and barely noticed it.

I think I will run 3-4 miles tomorrow. It's raining today anyway but I think I need to get out and just run a few, maybe 1-2 miles at MP and then go back to rest, ice and ibuprofen till race day.

Whatever happens (and no this is not a concession) I am glad I followed a training program for once and I do feel like I got faster for it and I would follow this program again.

Bring on the packing and cleaning and pre-vacation laundry!

and seriously, thank you all for the support. I am very grateful for you all.
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Kubacki Wed Sep 14, 2011 3:12 pm

Julie, you've done the work. You're ready. Step to the line with confidence and let it all go.
Alex Kubacki
Alex Kubacki
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:45 pm

Alex Kubacki wrote:Julie, you've done the work. You're ready. Step to the line with confidence and let it all go.

+1...good luck tomorrow and let it rip on Sunday.
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:49 pm

I am not sure how early you are planning on getting to the start (Fox Valley Tech). The HM starts at 7:00am, an hour before the full starts. If you are planning on getting there early and want someone to give you a pep talk, I'll be in a red singlet, black shorts with red trim, and red Mizuno shoes. I will probably be there a little before 6:00am.
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  JohnP Wed Sep 14, 2011 11:02 pm

Julie, best wishes, and remember, it's as much the journey as the destination. Marathons are so hard in that so much depends on everything coming together on one day. You have done the training, go and have fun. Please let us know how it goes as soon as you can.
JohnP
JohnP
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Seth Harrison Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:57 am

John Kilpatrick wrote:Don't be so quick to give up - it is a sore knee, not the end of the world! Who knows what will happen, but all you can do is your best. You've already "won" in that you've had a great training cycle. There is no such thing as a fail for you at this point - the only fail would of been to have never started! I hope things go great for you on race day - you have the aerobic capacity behind you. If the knee doesn't cooperate, then it is what it is. It might surprise you. Hang in there and just get to the starting line! You are great no matter what happens.

Julie, a lot of your doubts right now can be attributed to taper madness, but just try to let the day unfold as it will. As someone who has gone into more than one marathon without feeling 100%, I can tell you that taper madness magnifies all of that stuff.
I love Johns' advice. You've done a great job getting through the
training, especially with a knee that didn't totally cooperate. Stay positive and more than anything else, enjoy the day and celebrate your accomplishment. As John said, there's no way for you to fail.
Seth Harrison
Seth Harrison
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:39 am

Alex Kubacki wrote:Julie, you've done the work. You're ready. Step to the line with confidence and let it all go.
+

thanks Alex!

Nick Morris wrote:I am not sure how early you are planning on getting to the start (Fox Valley Tech). The HM starts at 7:00am, an hour before the full starts. If you are planning on getting there early and want someone to give you a pep talk, I'll be in a red singlet, black shorts with red trim, and red Mizuno shoes. I will probably be there a little before 6:00am.

I'm not sure when we'll get there either but if we're there early I'll keep my eye out for you. I am guessing we won't be there before 7, though, especially if it's raining and I don't want Jocelyn out in it. I forgot that half and full start at different times. You are going to have a great race!!

JohnP wrote:Julie, best wishes, and remember, it's as much the journey as the destination. Marathons are so hard in that so much depends on everything coming together on one day. You have done the training, go and have fun. Please let us know how it goes as soon as you can.

Thanks John! I will sure let you all know. Probably before we leave the hotel, since we'll have the laptop and plan to have pizza afterward.

Seth Harrison wrote:

Julie, a lot of your doubts right now can be attributed to taper madness, but just try to let the day unfold as it will. As someone who has gone into more than one marathon without feeling 100%, I can tell you that taper madness magnifies all of that stuff.
I love Johns' advice. You've done a great job getting through the
training, especially with a knee that didn't totally cooperate. Stay positive and more than anything else, enjoy the day and celebrate your accomplishment. As John said, there's no way for you to fail.

Thanks Seth!

This morning I finally got to run. 3 miles. My goal was to do 2 at MP but between watching out for cars, uneven sidewalks and early morning walkers, this is what I did

3 blocks or so warm up

1 - 9:33
2 9:21
3 9:29

the last mile I was trying to cool down so I had planned for it to be slower than MP, the first mile I was a little off by the cars but honestly the second half of the mile I just lost my focus and started thinking about stuff like....my little girl and how cute she is. I know! It's terrible but I'm kind of crazy about her. Very Happy And really I was thinking about how she prayed for my knee yesterday evening, it was seriously the sweetest thing. She said "Dear God, please help Mommy's knee feel better. Amen."

So on that note, my knee didn't even hurt this a.m., I am attributing it to 3 days off plus God hearing my 2 yr old's prayers (and mine, too!). My next run will be Sunday morning in Appleton. I think the smoke is clearing off in the area so the race will go on. 40% chance of rain showers but that doesn't worry me. Excessive heat would worry me but 60s and rain doesn't even sound that bad.

Thanks all for all the support, you are all great. I am looking forward to cheering all of you on for your marathons, too, and I am so looking forward to this marathon and being done with the taper! That is what I thought this morning, why couldn't the marathon be today? It's about 40 degrees here and plenty cool. What a change from 90 degrees a couple of days ago.
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim Lentz Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:22 am

I can never tell how good I am going to do at a race until the day of the race. So, go with what the day gives you and how you feel, Jullie, and you will probably surprise yourself with a good race.
Jim Lentz
Jim Lentz
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:50 am

The power of positive thinking - keep it going, Julie. I'm sure your little girl's prayers are the key here. Just remember to keep thinking about all the great things you accomplished this cycle on Sunday. (One thing I remember doing at a race when my daughter was little was focusing on all the things that she and I loved to do during the tough miles. I even remember singing the "One foot in front of the other song" from one of those Xmas cartoons because it was one of her favorite songs (along with the "High Ho" song as she called it from snow White.). You'll be great on Sunday!
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:51 pm

Jim Lentz wrote:I can never tell how good I am going to do at a race until the day of the race. So, go with what the day gives you and how you feel, Jullie, and you will probably surprise yourself with a good race.

Thanks Jim! I almost wish I hadn't tried for a time goal this period because I feel like it would have taken some pressure off but I also think it was good for me to try to improve my time and expect results from a new training program. I will give it my best on Sunday.

Michele "1L" Keane wrote:The power of positive thinking - keep it going, Julie. I'm sure your little girl's prayers are the key here. Just remember to keep thinking about all the great things you accomplished this cycle on Sunday. (One thing I remember doing at a race when my daughter was little was focusing on all the things that she and I loved to do during the tough miles. I even remember singing the "One foot in front of the other song" from one of those Xmas cartoons because it was one of her favorite songs (along with the "High Ho" song as she called it from snow White.). You'll be great on Sunday!

Thanks Michele! I think those last few miles I will think about getting a big hug from my little girl and that will help me keep pushing through to get to the finish line.

Tomorrow looks like a fun day in the car 10 hrs and then a day in WI before the race Sunday a.m. I will keep you all updated. And I am really eager to move on after this is done because this is probably the worst taper I've ever had as far as it taking a lot of my brain cells.
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Nick Morris Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:06 pm

What did I tell you Smile Have a fun and safe trip!!!
Nick Morris
Nick Morris
Talking To Myself
Talking To Myself

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:28 pm

Nick Morris wrote:What did I tell you Smile Have a fun and safe trip!!!

have fun? run hard?

It'll be fine, I'm more confident now after my little 3 mile run this morning. Now to just get my brain to shut off so I can sleep tonight.
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Peg Coover Fri Sep 16, 2011 7:46 am

Julie, we are all cheering for you! Have fun and run hard! Cool
Peg Coover
Peg Coover
Regular
Regular

http://web.mac.com/cooverp/MrsCoover/Welcome.html

Back to top Go down

Post  jon c Fri Sep 16, 2011 9:22 am

Jim Lentz wrote:I can never tell how good I am going to do at a race until the day of the race. So, go with what the day gives you and how you feel, Jullie, and you will probably surprise yourself with a good race.

This.

Best wishes on a great race day that will be memorable for you and your family! Anxious to hear how well you are going to do.
jon c
jon c
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  John Kilpatrick Fri Sep 16, 2011 9:27 am

Go Julie Go!!!

John Kilpatrick
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. Fri Sep 16, 2011 5:52 pm

Julie you are going to rip it up At Fox Cities. You have trained so hard and now it is time to put it to good use. Enjoy all of it and best of luck!
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

http://www.365Competitors.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Fri Sep 16, 2011 8:29 pm

Thank you! Just quick to say we are safe and sound and packet pick up was super easy. Now to vacation tomorrow and then run Sunday! Little Jocelyn was a champ riding in her car seat for 10 hrs today. No running today or tomorrow. Saving it for race day. I remembered my shoes and body glide and everything Very Happy
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  JohnP Fri Sep 16, 2011 8:34 pm

Good job Julie on the trip over there! We'll be thinking about you on Sunday morning.
JohnP
JohnP
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Enright Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:22 pm

Hope you have a great race!
Michael Enright
Michael Enright
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  fostever Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:09 pm

Have a great race, enjoy the experience, no matter the circumstances. You should be fine with the training you've put in. I think the pain and stuff is very common during the taper because it is a sign the body is healing. Hoping for the best for you, Julie!
fostever
fostever
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Sat Sep 17, 2011 7:44 pm

Thanks All! I will be thinking of all of you during the race!
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mrs. Schuey Sat Sep 17, 2011 8:37 pm

Knock 'em dead, Julie! You've put in so much work and effort; it will pay off! We'll be cheering you on from Chicago!! Have fun!!
Mrs. Schuey
Mrs. Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Seth Harrison Sat Sep 17, 2011 9:46 pm

Good luck Julie! Have a great marathon!!
Seth Harrison
Seth Harrison
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 18 of 20 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 17, 18, 19, 20  Next