365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Lance Denied Entry Into Chicago Marathon

+8
JohnP
Kenny B.
fostever
Admin
Ben Z
Diego
Mike MacLellan
Schuey
12 posters

Go down

Lance Denied Entry Into Chicago Marathon Empty Lance Denied Entry Into Chicago Marathon

Post  Schuey Fri Sep 07, 2012 2:40 pm

Interesting!?

http://news.runnersworld.com/2012/09/07/lance-armstrong-denied-entry-to-chicago-marathon/

Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Lance Denied Entry Into Chicago Marathon Empty Re: Lance Denied Entry Into Chicago Marathon

Post  Mike MacLellan Fri Sep 07, 2012 3:00 pm

Also read he was banned from NYCM. And right after he won one in Colorado, too! Guess he'll have to stick to trail races from now on.
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

https://www.facebook.com/mike.a.maclellan

Back to top Go down

Lance Denied Entry Into Chicago Marathon Empty Re: Lance Denied Entry Into Chicago Marathon

Post  Diego Fri Sep 07, 2012 3:13 pm

Mike MacLellan wrote:Also read he was banned from NYCM. And right after he won one in Colorado, too! Guess he'll have to stick to trail races from now on.

I wish folks would boycott these races. It's gone from a witchhunt to civil right deprivation and collusion. I bet Floyd Landis, Alberto Contador and Tyler Hamilton could still enter those races.
As someone commented on-line, I guess he won't be able to enter the World Series of Poker either. Sheesh!!
Diego
Diego
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Ben Z Fri Sep 07, 2012 3:41 pm

Why? They let in conflicted felons (I'm certain) and not him??
Ben Z
Ben Z
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Schuey Fri Sep 07, 2012 3:55 pm

Yeah found this to be a little over the top! I just don't know what to say other than I'm still lost at words at the actions that are going on in our society these days without just cause.
Schuey
Schuey
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Fri Sep 07, 2012 5:17 pm

My understanding is that since the USATF is a sponsoring organization of WADA, the WADA ruling makes Lance ineligible to participate in any USATF events. It's just the way the code is written and it should apply equally to any athlete who is ruled ineligible by WADA or the USADA.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  fostever Fri Sep 07, 2012 6:07 pm

Mr MattM wrote:My understanding is that since the USATF is a sponsoring organization of WADA, the WADA ruling makes Lance ineligible to participate in any USATF events. It's just the way the code is written and it should apply equally to any athlete who is ruled ineligible by WADA or the USADA.
Ditto! It is over the top, but it's not their decision (Chicago Marathon,)they have to adhere to the USATF rules.
fostever
fostever
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Diego Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:49 pm

fostever wrote:
Mr MattM wrote:My understanding is that since the USATF is a sponsoring organization of WADA, the WADA ruling makes Lance ineligible to participate in any USATF events. It's just the way the code is written and it should apply equally to any athlete who is ruled ineligible by WADA or the USADA.
Ditto! It is over the top, but it's not their decision (Chicago Marathon,)they have to adhere to the USATF rules.

Standing back a bit, I can see their point. Without USATF sanctions, big races like Chicago and NYC might not be able to exist.
But I also understand that the elite field at Chicago is considered to be different than the rest of us, i.e. we cannot win the race even if we run a faster time.
If Lance is running like the rest of us, then I do not see the issue.
If he is running with the rest of us and they still want to exclude him, then I think the entire field should be subjected to USATF's rulebook, including drug testing for all age group winners at all USATF races where age groups prize money is awarded and that folks taking non-appproved drugs without prior approval in writing from their doctors(diuretics, beta blockers, cortisone, thyroid medication, etc.) should also be excluded/ tested to make it a fair playing field.

Could you see that happening? Lots of hypocrisy in there.

Anyway, I no longer think that they are picking on him and are instead afraid of losing their USATF sanction and its benefits listed below--the art of political misdirection.

Event Sanctions - Overview & Benefits

What is a "sanction"?

A USATF sanction is an official designation issued by USATF, through a local Association, which approves and licenses the holding of a competitive track & field, long distance running or race walking event in the United States. The sanction is also a contract, which evidences the event's commitment to follow national and international rules and regulations of the sport and to provide a safe environment for the participants and spectators. Once the event has satisfied the sanction requirements, the event's application for sanction is approved.

Benefits of sanctioning your event:

• Lance Denied Entry Into Chicago Marathon SampleSanctionedLogoIncreased Prestige - For many events, the USATF sanction improves the event's public perception. A sanction tells athletes that an event is being run according to applicable competition rules. Sanctioned events have the ability to use the USATF event designation logo to promote the fact that the governing body has sanctioned the event.
  • Liability Insurance - Most governmental entities including cities, counties, state highway departments, parks and community centers require general liability insurance for all events. The cost of a sanction is very inexpensive compared to the prices of most event insurance policies. It is important to know that events that are already insured may choose to waive the insurance coverage and pay a lower sanction fee. More info (PDF)
  • Medical Insurance for Athletes - Any athlete who is a USATF member and is injured while participating in a sanctioned event will be eligible for secondary medical insurance coverage for the injury. This insurance not only provides valuable coverage to USATF members, but it serves as a valuable deterrent to lawsuits.
  • Calendar Promotion - Sanctioned events will be included in the USATF online calendar and be highlighted to distinguish them from non-sanctioned events.
  • Records - In general, a sanction is required for a record to be set. There are some exceptions to this rule, however.
  • Special Offers and Discounts - view offers & discounts available to sanctioned events
  • Resolving Disputes - If requested, USATF will act as an arbiter in disputes between athletes and sanctioned events.
Diego
Diego
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Kenny B. Sat Sep 08, 2012 3:19 pm

He joins the likes of Pete Rose!
Kenny B.
Kenny B.
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

http://www.365Competitors.com

Back to top Go down

Post  JohnP Sat Sep 08, 2012 10:32 pm

I was thinking about this today, it makes no sense, unless the USATF pressured these marathons to state this. All they had to do was send a private email/communication to Lance saying please don't apply to run our race, we'll have to deny you. There was no need for what they did. It almost sounds vindictive, which he basically is accusing the head of USATF of being.
JohnP
JohnP
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Mello Sun Sep 09, 2012 11:07 am

Did Chicago need to publicly announce this? Probably not, although Lance was already scheduled to run it, and people knew that, so there may have been some questions about why he wasnt running, and they may have just wanted to get ahead of it.

Should he be allowed to run it? Absolutely not. He signed an agreement every year that he participated in the Tour where he agreed to abide by all of these sanctions should he ever be in this situation. By not fighting the charges against him he knew those sanctions would kick in, and they have. I dont feel bad for him - if it was important to him, he should still be fighting. If he's innocent, he should still be fighting. In my eyes, the only reason you walk away from your championships is if you're guilty. I know thats not how everyone sees it, but thats where I fall.
Ken Mello
Ken Mello
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Sun Sep 09, 2012 2:43 pm

It isn't like he is likely to win or even win an AG award - isn't this a bit ridiculous?
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sun Sep 09, 2012 2:48 pm

Michele "1L" Keane wrote:It isn't like he is likely to win or even win an AG award - isn't this a bit ridiculous?

Seems like it, but there's no stipulation to account for whether or not an athlete is 'competitive' in a given sport other than the one where they were banned. What if Lance were to enter a USATF-sanctioned event where he might win? The agreements between the sport authorities require acceptance and enforcement should an athlete be banned for PEDs. The athlete is banned from ALL sanctioned events, regardless of the sport. I don't see how (or why) they could/should make an exception.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  ssilvert Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:42 pm

I can see both sides.

While it does seem a bit extreme, there is some merit in being able to say to athletes, "Look, we're serious about doping. You mess with us and we'll see to it that you can't even enter so much as a Turkey Trot."

Stan
ssilvert
ssilvert
Poster
Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Bob Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:50 pm

ssilvert wrote:I can see both sides.

While it does seem a bit extreme, there is some merit in being able to say to athletes, "Look, we're serious about doping. You mess with us and we'll see to it that you can't even enter so much as a Turkey Trot."

Stan

I don't know. I'd bet there are more turkeys that get shot up than the runners that run their races.
Bob
Bob
Lord Bobby
Lord Bobby

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike MacLellan Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:04 pm

Bob wrote:
ssilvert wrote:I can see both sides.

Stan

I don't know. I'd bet there are more turkeys that get shot up than the runners that run their races.

I award you, sir, one internets.
Mike MacLellan
Mike MacLellan
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

https://www.facebook.com/mike.a.maclellan

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down