365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

365Runners
Welcome to 365Runners! We are here because we all share a running addiction. Whether training for a first marathon, a new PR, a new race distance, or anything else... welcome!

To stop the banner ads, please register and login. Otherwise, please enjoy browsing as a guest.
365Runners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Lowering the boom - 2013

+16
Michael Enright
ounce
JohnP
Alex Kubacki
KathyK
Seth Harrison
John Kilpatrick
Julie
T Miller
mul21
EugeneGreenie
charles.moman
Michele "1L" Keane
Mark B
Peg Coover
dot520
20 posters

Page 2 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Lowering the boom - 2013 - Page 2 Empty Re: Lowering the boom - 2013

Post  T Miller Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:26 pm

Mark B wrote:
T Miller wrote:
mul21 wrote:Ammonia and bleach will react to release chlorine gas, but an explosion would be highly unlikely unless there were other chemicals involved. A meth lab would have to be huge to create that kind of explosion. Like, huge to the point that people would have noticed some nasty smells coming from the house and probably reported it.

I'm betting on a gas explosion due to something faulty in the house. It was the Today Show this morning and that was some massive devastation. If it was gas, there was a lot of it in a large area before it ignited. If not a gas leak, somebody did something intentionally to cause it, because that large of an explosion doesn't happen by accident in a subdivision without help if it wasn't gas.

I think it was 2 AGM 114 Hellfire Missiles. http://www.whatdoesitmean.com/index1627.htm?fwcc=1&fwcl=1&fwl

Mm-hmm....

So, you don't think it was just a "pull my finger" joke gone horribly awry?

Seriously, a gas explosion seems to be the most likely explanation. Like Jim said, a meth lab blast wouldn't do that much damage. I read today that a bomb was ruled out (except by the conspiracy theorists, of course). It will be interesting to find out what they come up with.

Yea, I can't wait to see what they determine to be the cause. I was reading that the guy that lives across the street heart the blast and looked out his door and the house was gone. WOW. And 27 houses were left uninhabitable.
T Miller
T Miller
Regular
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Mon Nov 12, 2012 3:24 pm

T Miller wrote:
Mark B wrote:
T Miller wrote:
mul21 wrote:Ammonia and bleach will react to release chlorine gas, but an explosion would be highly unlikely unless there were other chemicals involved. A meth lab would have to be huge to create that kind of explosion. Like, huge to the point that people would have noticed some nasty smells coming from the house and probably reported it.

I'm betting on a gas explosion due to something faulty in the house. It was the Today Show this morning and that was some massive devastation. If it was gas, there was a lot of it in a large area before it ignited. If not a gas leak, somebody did something intentionally to cause it, because that large of an explosion doesn't happen by accident in a subdivision without help if it wasn't gas.

I think it was 2 AGM 114 Hellfire Missiles. http://www.whatdoesitmean.com/index1627.htm?fwcc=1&fwcl=1&fwl

Mm-hmm....

So, you don't think it was just a "pull my finger" joke gone horribly awry?

Seriously, a gas explosion seems to be the most likely explanation. Like Jim said, a meth lab blast wouldn't do that much damage. I read today that a bomb was ruled out (except by the conspiracy theorists, of course). It will be interesting to find out what they come up with.

Yea, I can't wait to see what they determine to be the cause. I was reading that the guy that lives across the street heart the blast and looked out his door and the house was gone. WOW. And 27 houses were left uninhabitable.

I remember doing a story years ago about a little roadside motel up in the mountains that was heated by propane. The manager was going room-to-room checking the heaters when a gas-filled room a couple of doors down blew up. Luckily for this guy, he was laying on his belly checking a pilot light. He survived relatively unscathed, but the motel was blown to smithereens.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  dot520 Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:40 am

At this point, there has been contact with the owner of the home. His daughter, ex-wife and ex-wife's boyfriend lived in the house but I believe they left due to problems with the furnace. So, maybe a whole house full of gas due to no pilot light and then something (who knows what) sparked. Ongoing investigation. Ugh! I know of two sets of folks who lived in that subdivision. One can move back in but has no power (3 blocks away), the other is homeless as she lived 2 doors down from the epicenter and escaped with her two kids but the home and contents are destroyed.

Makes you want to go for a run just thinking about it! Hey, good idea! Idea
dot520
dot520
Top 10 Poster Emeritus
Top 10 Poster Emeritus

Back to top Go down

Post  dot520 Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:08 am

Last night a nice hill run/walk on the treadmill. As my treadmill does a -3% I was able to utilize that for a bit. 45 minutes done. Kept HR around 142 avg. Done.
dot520
dot520
Top 10 Poster Emeritus
Top 10 Poster Emeritus

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:49 am

It's cool that more treadmills come with a downhill setting now. I'd have to scrounge up a 2-by-4 and use Schuey's technique on my machine. I think I could manage the scrounging part, but working up the math to calculate the negative slope? Yii.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  dot520 Sat Nov 17, 2012 7:07 pm

I've had a couple more short runs this week and today was no different. 3.5 miles of up and down rolling hills of Venice on my treadmill. Not sure I would want to do the marathon there...not a bit of flat, it's either up or down. Did some rowing and then headed outdoors for my yard workout. Still dealing with the leaves and mulch is still waiting for me. Fantastic weather!

New oven coming on Monday so Gene decided to pull the old one out and put it on the back porch because I wanted to clean behind it before the new one is delivered. I was happy to do that Sunday evening. So, it's Saturday and we look like some sort of hillbillies with the oven on the back porch. Tomorrow will be microwaveable food, cereal, toast and coffee as we don't have a stove top either (it's on the back porch).
dot520
dot520
Top 10 Poster Emeritus
Top 10 Poster Emeritus

Back to top Go down

Post  dot520 Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:08 pm

Awesome day today to do some more yardwork. Cross training!

Got 3500 meters rowed today as a warm up to 4.5 miles of running around a cemetery at less than 143 bpm. Went over to Gray park and did a quick 1 mile loop hike with a friend then to Adrian Orchards to pick up some Jonagold apples.

Pacers lost...booo!
Colts...looking awesome!
dot520
dot520
Top 10 Poster Emeritus
Top 10 Poster Emeritus

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:56 pm

I think you need to retract your last statement. Brady and the Pats are looking awesome, Dot Wink
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  dot520 Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:34 am

Michele: The way I see it....the Patriots absolutely HAD to win. I mean really, we're a rookie team! How embarrassing would that have been for Tom? Running up the score...well, that's a bit of Tom's poor sportsmanship...but hey.....Laughing I'm only saying that because we lost. I will say that I think Tom was a bit worried in the first quarter. Onward to playing the Bills.

Yesterday was a rest day. Today will be a 2500m row and 45 minute run at Low HR. Won't get to that until tonight.
dot520
dot520
Top 10 Poster Emeritus
Top 10 Poster Emeritus

Back to top Go down

Post  dot520 Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:33 am

Beautiful day in Indy for Thanksgiving Day! Close to 65 degrees! First year that it was just Gene and me and it was wonderful. I cooked up a storm (smaller portions) on the new oven and spent most of the day outside doing yard work and drinking coffee! Smile Managed to get some rowing and riding in but no running. Today, I will run!
dot520
dot520
Top 10 Poster Emeritus
Top 10 Poster Emeritus

Back to top Go down

Post  dot520 Fri Nov 23, 2012 6:38 pm

Deleted my own post that just wrote. I'm an idiot.

Long story short....drew a course map in Google maps and downloaded it to my treadmill. It's a hybrid of the Indy Mini training course and is about 7 miles long. I'll use it this winter time.

Posting my weight here to shame myself into losing some of it. Just don't want to gain over the holidays and wouldn't mind getting under 140 again.

142.8 There, it's out there. I'll post the newest and improvest number in a week or so.
dot520
dot520
Top 10 Poster Emeritus
Top 10 Poster Emeritus

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Fri Nov 23, 2012 8:36 pm

You weighed yourself the day after Thanksgiving? Wow, what a glutton for punishment! Wink

It's cool that you can input course profiles into your treadmill. You could have all sorts of fun (?) finding horrific routes (Boston? Western States 100? Great Wall Marathon?) and having your own private torture sessions! Approval
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  dot520 Fri Nov 23, 2012 8:47 pm

Exactly, Mark! That would have been a good name for a blog..Glutton for punishment! I guess that was a bit ridiculous to weigh in after yesterday's feasting, but it had to be done.

I don't need to put 100 mile races on my treadmill, sometimes a 12 miler is torture enough! But it is fun and makes it more bearable to see it street view.
dot520
dot520
Top 10 Poster Emeritus
Top 10 Poster Emeritus

Back to top Go down

Post  dot520 Sun Nov 25, 2012 3:54 pm

Ran 6 miles including WU on the treadmill. Trying to stay right around HADD 70% and nailed it. AVG HR 143 and felt like I could go for miles and miles. Don't have my splits with me, but the first 3 were in the mid to late 12's.
dot520
dot520
Top 10 Poster Emeritus
Top 10 Poster Emeritus

Back to top Go down

Post  Michele "1L" Keane Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:37 pm

I believe that you are well on your way. It is supposed to feel easy and if done right, the miles will just get faster at the same HR.
Michele
Michele "1L" Keane
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

http://1lranthere.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:35 am

Michele "1L" Keane wrote:I believe that you are well on your way. It is supposed to feel easy and if done right, the miles will just get faster at the same HR.

Bingo! That's exactly right. Great work, Dot!
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  dot520 Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:27 pm

Can't believe it's Thursday already. It's been chaos at work for the past few days and so far today seemed somewhat normal. Don't think it's been a full moon or otherwise I wouldn't even mention it.

Monday was a rest day, Tuesday and Wednesday were warmups, then 45 minutes of easy HR running. Using today as a cross training day....biking and rowing.

Might as well post my weight.....sigh....142.8 Down from the day after Thanksgiving but not tremendously. I must still be maintaining water from all that sodium! Bwaaaahhh! Onward.

Dinner tonight: Mexican lasagne - vegan style.
dot520
dot520
Top 10 Poster Emeritus
Top 10 Poster Emeritus

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:42 pm

Mm. We've done a South Beach version of Mexican lasagna, and it's delish. I bet a vegan version would great, too.

Don't worry about the weight. Just keep at it and things will get better.
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  dot520 Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:30 am

Thanks, Mark....just keepin' at it. Today I did a light 45 minutes at avg 138 HR. Tomorrow I'll do my long run for about 90 minutes and see how that goes.

Cross training in the yard again today. We're supposed to see 60 degrees at some point today, so I'm going to do some mowing, and mulching.
dot520
dot520
Top 10 Poster Emeritus
Top 10 Poster Emeritus

Back to top Go down

Post  dot520 Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:08 pm

I was a wee bit sore today from digging out all that english ivy and small tree starts. ugh! A combination of things today really had my HR going. First, I've had a really work crisis week and it continued through the weekend. Today as I was getting ready to hop onto my treadmill, I got a call that I needed to do a material delivery. Huh?? I had eaten a small breakfast and had waited about 1.5 hours so that I wouldn't have a full stomach but I'd be ready to go. Came back from the delivery and I was hungry, now being 4 hours since I ate. Ate a little something and then wanted to wait about an hour. Again, dressed and ready to go and technical calls coming in. aaaargghh. This is the nature of the business when I'm on call but really. If you ever think that owning your own business will allow you all the free time you want think again.

So...around 1pm, I hop on the treadmill. My HR kept racing up to 145 and I was doing 14/min miles for crying out loud. I think the combination of soreness from yesterday and the ongoing stress of this week at work made it nearly impossible for me to get my 1:30:00 run in without walking. I did it anyway and avg 143 hr, not letting my max go above 146 but I was almost 45 sec/mile slower. It's done and I'm done.

Monday is a new day and the beginning of a new week. Whew! Going for good stuff this week.

p.s. Just purchased a new road id with the slim wristband like the livestrong and other charities (and my 365 runners band). Bright orange. I also got back on Runningahead and downloading my gps runs. It's all good.
dot520
dot520
Top 10 Poster Emeritus
Top 10 Poster Emeritus

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark B Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:22 pm

Don't worry too much about that higher than desired heart rate, Dot. You were just aggravated by the day, and that has an impact on your body.

I've been dealing with those sorts of interruptions for a few months now; it seems like a miracle when I get in a "normal" week of running anymore. There's always some crisis that needs my immediate attention -- and unfortunately, they're not those "crisis only in your mind" sorts of things.

Good idea on the RoadID and RunningAHEAD. Use both of those myself! Approval
Mark B
Mark B
Needs A Life
Needs A Life

Back to top Go down

Post  dot520 Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:26 am

Got two workouts of 45 minutes a piece in this week. The chaos has subsided in my own work life but now it has shifted into 'family matters', meaning not Gene and myself but one of the limbs of the family tree. Ugh. This too shall pass!

On another note...let's talk weight. 141.6. See a pattern there? Yep, 2 pounds since thanksgiving. My 140 goal by the first of the year is coming to fruition and then I can take a serious look at the additional 5-7 lbs that is my own self imposed mandate.
dot520
dot520
Top 10 Poster Emeritus
Top 10 Poster Emeritus

Back to top Go down

Post  dot520 Sat Dec 08, 2012 8:08 pm

Had a decent 7.25 mile run today. The HR was within range and within reason...I averaged 140, so I'm happy with that.

All this in the middle of continued family tree limb crisis. Nothing like something disfunctional to wrap and put under the tree. Rolling Eyes So much drama! Hint: It's amazing how the side effects of Cymbalta can turn a family upside down. That's all I'll say at this point. Watch the commercials and listen to the disclaimers. More on Monday when more $%*( should hit the fan. In the mean time, it's not about me or my immediate household so I shall bask in a full stomach of italian food, a nice cuppa and watch something on TV in what Gene and I call 'loungewear.' One step away from bathrobe and slippers and it's only 7 pm Smile

Tomorrow I'd like to another 3 miles or so. I'm so enjoying my low HR running.
dot520
dot520
Top 10 Poster Emeritus
Top 10 Poster Emeritus

Back to top Go down

Post  Julie Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:07 pm

Nice job on the wt loss and the training! I hope these next few weeks go well for you (as I finish off my Breyer's ice cream and molasses cookies). Very Happy
Julie
Julie
Explaining To Spouse
Explaining To Spouse

Back to top Go down

Post  dot520 Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:04 am

Hey, Julie! Thanks for stopping by. Weight loss....well, I'm not killing myself to lose weight right now. I'm still eating the occasional treat, but being good the rest of the time so it's a slow process but one that is quite doable during this part of the eating season.

I was just speaking of Molasses cookies yesterday. I plan on making a very small batch and will probably eat most of them myself but so be it! They'll be doled out in portions. uh-huh. Twisted Evil
dot520
dot520
Top 10 Poster Emeritus
Top 10 Poster Emeritus

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next